AHC - Second/Actual American Civil War in 1968

One cannot deny that the year 1968 election was a horrible year for the United States, with Vietnam at its height, the assassinations of Robert Francis Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., the multitude of Race riots across the country combined with anti-war protests, the disaster that was the 1968 Democratic National Convention, the return of Richard Nixon to become President in one of the closest and most bitterly fought Presidential Elections in history, the popular rise of George Wallace who won 13.5% of the popular vote, 5 states, and 46 Electoral Votes, and the overall fall from trust in our institutions. So my challenge here, if you choose to accept it, is make 1968 so violent and so anarchic that the United States collapses into an actual civil war (as the 1861-1865 one can be more considered a failed War for Independence by the South rather than an actual civil war). The POD can be anytime between 1953-1968 and you can go however you wish to go about it. Have fun with this difficult, if probably impossible, challenge.

Impossible. Army was very unified and staunchly backed government. You should divide that getting civil war. And no one begin to start that midst of Cold War. Yes, situation was very divided but it wasn't anywhere close of civil war. Perhaps at worst I can see full-blown KKK revolt but it would be crushed quickly by local national guard.

Impossible. Army was very unified and staunchly backed government. You should divide that getting civil war. And no one begin to start that midst of Cold War. Yes, situation was very divided but it wasn't anywhere close of civil war. Perhaps at worst I can see full-blown KKK revolt but it would be crushed quickly by local national guard.
But is possible to get at this point, from a POD from 1945 or later?

The only ones I’ve seen that are even remotely plausible are ones with chains of unlikely but technically possible events like a Korean War gone nuclear by way of MacArthur’s meddling then a massacre at Selma and then war with Cuba and so on and so forth… but even with all this you’ll have a hell of a time translating more potent radical movements into a full on civil war rather than just worse small-scale violence across the country.