Actually building the car in NI was very smart.

Watch the docu-film "Framing John DeLorean" with Alec Baldwin as Delorean, it's a real eye opener.

The workforce were picked on a 50/50 rota - 50% Catholic, 50% Protestant, with no segregation throughout the entire company. It was talking to ex workers who after only a few weeks found out that each side weren't aliens and got on like a house on fire, the same sense of humour, the same musical tastes etc. And many despite their different religious back grounds are still friends to this very day.
Ah, that doesn’t change the fact that the place where they are building it is in a low grade civil war, I can’t think of a worst spot in Western Europe to put it.

Ah, that doesn’t change the fact that the place where they are building it is in a low grade civil war, I can’t think of a worst spot in Western Europe to put it.

Agreed, but there was never any sectarian violence on the site though.

Compare that with Short Brothers up the road.

You can't continually 'right off' areas or populations because of this problem or that problem, sometimes you have to take a punt. How are these areas supposed to improve?

It was only a lack off (it ran out) cash that doomed the project.

Last edited:
download.jpg

How about saving this one . . . . .?

I quite liked it when I first watched when on VHS in 1990!, especially the mid air collision.

A better script?

Much obliged!

There aren't very many horror flics that can make me jump, but I gotta admit the defibrillation scene sneaks up on me every time :p

2nded

First watched this on a Sat' night in 1986! . . . . it blew mine and the rest of the family away with the gore!

Monday morning registration, the entire class was on about it.

Agreed, but there was never any sectarian violence on the site though.

Compare that with Short Brothers up the road.

You can't continually 'right off' areas or populations because of this problem or that problem, sometimes you have to take a punt. How are these areas supposed to improve?

It was only a lack off (it ran out) cash that doomed the project.
Well yeah Shorts and H&W had a history of such behaviour sadly, but trying to set up a major company in such an environment was always going to be up against it.

marathag

Banned
Don't cut corners and install the gas tank liner in the Pinto so the gas tank doesn't rupture in a rear end collision
A minor redesign of the doors so they don't jam shut when the car suffers a rear end collision
Yes, that might cost upwards of $2 a car!! It took a lot of squeezing to get the MSRP to $1919
You want to bankrupt the Ford Motor Company with you spendthrift ways??

Actually building the car in NI was very smart.

Watch the docu-film "Framing John DeLorean" with Alec Baldwin as Delorean, it's a real eye opener.

The workforce were picked on a 50/50 rota - 50% Catholic, 50% Protestant, with no segregation throughout the entire company. It was talking to ex workers who after only a few weeks found out that each side weren't aliens and got on like a house on fire, the same sense of humour, the same musical tastes etc. And many despite their different religious back grounds are still friends to this very day.
The social history behind the DeLorean is neat, but North Irish quality control was bad even by UK's (then) low standards.

2nded

First watched this on a Sat' night in 1986! . . . . it blew mine and the rest of the family away with the gore!

Monday morning registration, the entire class was on about it.
Heh, amusing second-hand story on that... Guy I used to work with was in the Coast Guard when it 1st came out... he and some buddies were on leave, I think in Galveston, and one of them managed to score some acid. So, one of 'em has the bright idea - "let's all drop a little a, and go see a movie"... Yeah... Soooo, about mid-way through The Thing, the acid starts to kick in....
He said it was, ummmm, quite a memorable experience :biggrin:

Bad marketing, I think.

Same with Big Trouble in Little China.
The issue with BTILC was that the main character was an 'anti hero' and apparently they don't go down well over there (USA)

I thought it was great but then I'm British and we think (correctly) that the greatest character ever was the great hero of the Victorian age "Sir Harry Flashman VC" :biggrin:

The issue with BTILC was that the main character was an 'anti hero' and apparently they don't go down well over there (USA)

I thought it was great but then I'm British and we think (correctly) that the greatest character ever was the great hero of the Victorian age "Sir Harry Flashman VC" :biggrin:
You may have a point, but I'm not completely sold.

Same actor and director made Escape from New York with the lead being a definite antihero and it was a huge hit.

Back on the Thing, I think the gore and the grim and unrelenting mood harmed the film then, but now it is appreciated for these and more.

And there was plenty of competition: ET, Wrath of Khan, Blade Runner, Tron, and Poltergeist.

Is the film bleak? Hell yes. It is one of the movies I refuse to watch during Winter because how I feel going through that time in Iowa.

Maybe if it had been released at a different time it could have done better.

What Unknown wrote is spot on....

It would have been a far better PR move, to bring Clayton Moore on board in some capacity - may be in a cameo bit
Totally agreed. My personal choice to be the Ranger instead of Spilsbury would be James Keach of the Keach brothers. He was already experienced in westerns and knew how to shoot and ride a horse and had the authoritative voice down pat. It is ironic to note that it would be Keach who completely dubbed over Spilsbury's dialogue! Spilsbury may have looked good as the Ranger but he was no actor.

Last edited:

How about saving this one . . . . .?

I quite liked it when I first watched when on VHS in 1990!, especially the mid air collision.

A better script?

Much obliged!
Better Script, Better Director and a larger budget.
I heard Varley speak at a con before the film came out and he commented that so much in the book had to be left out of the movie because they could not afford it.