AHC: Prevent a hated fictional character from becoming hated

He wasn't even a cadet and he was the main pilot and an engineering wunderkid.

A cadet or junior officer can probably cover multiple stations but they won't be the red alert operator of those stations.
Actualy, I would say having two specialities is pretty common in Star Trek. Geordi was a pilot-Engineer too. Worf a secutity-operations guy (what he did in season 1 and when data was suspected to have died), O'Brien was tactical and engineer. Tom Paris Pilot -Nurse. Well actualy that was because of a lack of other nursing staff, but if you take in mind his interests he probably was looking towards engineering/science besides piloting (which was why he had taken biochemistry in the academy).

Not saying Wesley wasnt written horribly, but I think with good writing you can get away with it. And as I said, in the third and fourth season Wesley was written better and less annoying, even though he was a pilot-engineer.

I dont think there is anything in the world that could make me not hate that abomination. If there is, it should be destroyed with fire as the evil it is

Ah, but are you just being manipulated by the cynical college kids who had nothing better to do after class than sit around the dorm-room getting stoned and ironically consuming kids' shows?

(See @MusuMankata, Post 6)

Seriously, though, when Barney first appeared, he was hailed by at least one right-wing columnist(National Review, I believe), who praised him as a welcome replacement for Sesame Street, specifically mentioning that "he doesn't have friends who live in garbage cans." Talk about being on the wrong side of popular opinion.

Actualy, I would say having two specialities is pretty common in Star Trek. Geordi was a pilot-Engineer too. Worf a secutity-operations guy (what he did in season 1 and when data was suspected to have died), O'Brien was tactical and engineer. Tom Paris Pilot -Nurse. Well actualy that was because of a lack of other nursing staff, but if you take in mind his interests he probably was looking towards engineering/science besides piloting (which was why he had taken biochemistry in the academy).
The thing is that Geordi and Worf didn’t really have two specialties. Geordi just got retconned into being an engineer because the show desperately needed one and the position was just left vacant in the show layout, which was an incredibly dumb decision. Worf just needed A steady job since otherwise there was no point for him to exist on the show.

o’Brian got shuffled around a lot since no one had any idea what to do with him until he was retconned i to the position of NCO.

Tom Paris the the wunderkid all grown up and who Janeway puts in charge of everything due to being the most/only competent person on the ship.

Jofferey from Game of Thrones

Have a episode that is devoted solely to his childhood that shows flashbacks of how poorly he was neglected/treated by his father.
Joffrey was meant to be hated though so I’m not sure he counts.

Anyway, here’s one: Aurora from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. Not sure if hated is the right word but she’s easily one of the least popular Disney characters due to being perceived as bland (just 18 lines of dialogue and 18 minutes of screen time) and a damsel in distress (needed a Prince to kiss her and break the spell). I think this could be averted to a degree if Disney went with the original treatment instead of the version we actually got.

So with Jar-Jar Binks, and the gungans in general, change the accent and have Binks lose the dreadlock ears or whatever and instead of just making him a complete idiot, give him something he’s competent at. I’d argue that not only makes him more lifelike but also is similar to other characters who could have easily gotten annoying if you just made them too one dimensional. Chewbacca isn’t just a humanoid dog/ape creature but he’s a good pilot and it seems like him and Han are genuine friends. Same with C-3PO who could easily just be some scaredy robot but he does have translation skills and knowledge as well as genuine friendship for R2 and Luke.

Scrappy Doo.

Make him more of a recurring supporting character. Don't have him appear in pretty much everything and steal the spotlight from Fred and Velma.

@TheFaultsofAlts
I also have an idea to make Scrappy-Doo more tolerable.

Make a series about him, Scooby-Dum, an aged-up Flim Flam, and the Hex Girls, forming their own mystery team with the blessings of the Mystery Incorporated crew.

Scrappy could be the leader, due to him actually saving the show from being replaced by a new Ruby-Spears Enterprises project, Scooby-Dum would be the food-craving junkie, Flim Flam would be the scoundrel who makes the traps, on account of him being the only human male, and Thorn, Dusk, and Luna would be the genius, the trap bait, and the musical accompaniment, depending on what the requirements would be.

Basically, this series would be a spinoff, continuation, recycling, and a new take on the Scooby formula all rolled into one.

And with a potential release window for October 2014, we could actually bring in some of the writing of Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!, thus replacing the series in its entirety.

Also, we could potentially make Snarf easier to like by combining some of his attributes. Things like being the "team parent" on account of him being Lion-O's babysitter/guardian when he was a ThunderKitten, a less whiny voice and demeanor, yet still somewhat fearful for his companions, and perhaps even some realistic feline traits, like batting a ball of yarn as self care.

Ah, but are you just being manipulated by the cynical college kids who had nothing better to do after class than sit around the dorm-room getting stoned and ironically consuming kids' shows?

(See @MusuMankata, Post 6)
No. I hate it with a passion that is as inexplicable as it is insumountable since I was a kid.

Some other candidates include: Caillou, Dora The Explorer, and The Cat In The Hat (2003 version). Not sure about the first two but with the third one you can perhaps tone down the inappropriate jokes and his adaptational sadism.

Seriously, though, when Barney first appeared, he was hailed by at least one right-wing columnist(National Review, I believe), who praised him as a welcome replacement for Sesame Street, specifically mentioning that "he doesn't have friends who live in garbage cans." Talk about being on the wrong side of popular opinion.
I get it’s National Review but seriously what a weird take? Like what, we shouldn’t like people who look poor? Also is it better to be annoying and all that as long as you are with the right people? Plus it makes me wonder what such conservatives would think of this today as one could argue that Oscar types make up their party’s rank and file now.

No. I hate it with a passion that is as inexplicable as it is insumountable since I was a kid.

I was mostly being faecitioua, but fair enough. I also hated Barney from the time he first appeared, but since I was an adult, it's hard to tell if that was my clean reaction, or if I was influenced by peers and the media.

Another one I can think of is Olaf from Frozen. How about instead of Josh Gad, he’s voiced by someone older and less dopey but more weary. Heck, make him a wannabe snowbird rather than an annoying perpetual dope who just wants summer.Not sure who’d be a good older voice. Danny DeVito pops in to my head but I don’t think that would make it any better. I feel like maybe Tim Conway using his Barnacle Boy voice might work but I think he passed already or was in poor health.

Scrappy Doo

Just lose the attitude. Make him more like Huey, Dewey, and Louie are with their uncle.
I actually think Scrappy could maintain an attitude and still be likable, if he was more overall well-rounded and less obnoxious about it. Think something like Sonic. It is a neat idea to have the small puppy be too brave, contrasting the large dog Scooby being too cowardly. I would a nice yin-yang: Scrappy being courageous on the surface, but cowardly underneath, while Scooby is a coward who's also brave deep down. Kinda reminds me of Small Dogs vs. Big Dogs in real life. If Fred, Velma and Daphne weren't written out, and his idea was better executed, Scrappy would likely go down as a beloved "sixth ranger" and would still be prominently seen today (and wouldn't be made into a villain in the 2002 movie... in all honesty, I thought that was a lame "twist" that didn't make sense, even with how hated as a character he was).

I get it’s National Review but seriously what a weird take? Like what, we shouldn’t like people who look poor? Also is it better to be annoying and all that as long as you are with the right people?

I suspect there was an anti-Great Society bias behind whatever conservative dislike of Sesame Street existed, and that the NR writer was at least partly reacting against the "urban", ie. Black and latino, aspects of the show.

Another one I can think of is Olaf from Frozen. How about instead of Josh Gad, he’s voiced by someone older and less dopey but more weary. Heck, make him a wannabe snowbird rather than an annoying perpetual dope who just wants summer.Not sure who’d be a good older voice. Danny DeVito pops in to my head but I don’t think that would make it any better. I feel like maybe Tim Conway using his Barnacle Boy voice might work but I think he passed already or was in poor health.
Why is Olaf is hated? I don't think I've ever heard of this before.