AHC: Muslim-Majority state in the Americas

Your challenge is to come up with a scenario where there's a country in the Americas with a mostly Muslim population. Bonus points if you can do it with a POD after 1492.

Increasing the presence of Javanese and Muslim Indians in Suriname might work. They make up a substantial share of the population in the country, and could potentially bring more Maroons into the faith.

Less work to proselytize West African slaves, who cope with their suffering by developing a united conscious through a syncretic form of Islam, in the Carribean nations like Haiti.

The Ottomans colonize an island or two in the Lesser Antilles. It will probably get annexed by the UK/France/USA (or their equivalents in this timeline) but the annexing power doesn't care enough to convert the Ottoman settlers.

Full of Muslims, it eventually achieves independence in the 20th Century as its own Muslim-majority country.

If the Danes can colonize the Virgin Islands in OTL why not?

Kaze

Banned
Joseph Smith goes really, really insane introduces a from of neo-Islam called "The Latter Day Caliefs". It takes off, briefly - the Latter Day Caliefs are forced relocate to what would be modern day Utah and exists as a prominent religion across the US and within that state.

Increasing the presence of Javanese and Muslim Indians in Suriname might work. They make up a substantial share of the population in the country, and could potentially bring more Maroons into the faith.
You could probably add Guyana, French Guinea, Aruba (not countries, but what- self governing possessions?), and Trinidad / Tobago to that list as well.

Last edited:
Granadan mass exodus to the caribbean after columbus gets back to avoid persecution, creating a muslim majority island (idk why but i'm thinking jamaica) and one of spain's rivals decide to protect it as long as it acts as a thorn in their side?

The Jamaat al Muslimen successfully overthrows the government of Trinidad and Tobago in 1990. Other religions are suppressed and the new government encourages Islamic immigration. 5% of the population is already Muslim, so it shouldn't take much to get to levels matching that of Suriname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaat_al_Muslimeen_coup_attempt
I’m not sure if there was a way for them to succeed. You’d have to massively ramp up the unpopularity of the NAR goverment to the point where there would be open popular support for the coup. Problem is, even with that, it’d probably just devolve into a low-intensity civil war (I say low intensity because I doubt anyone would be very willing to die for either side) and the US would eventually intervene and end it.

Shameless plug, but if you want a more realistic option to overthrow the government of Trinidad and Tobago here’s my own thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ution-in-trinidad-and-tobago-succeeds.466519/