AHC: Lay the groundwork for largest possible European nation-state

What if Alaric defeated Clovis at Vouillé, and was able to create a Visigothic empire that integrated the Suebi/all of Iberia and Gaul to the Rhine?
I doubt that the Goths will push as far east as the Merovingian Franks. In otl, it was the Franks who came to dominate almost the entirety of Germania after the reign of Clovis I through the wars with the Thuringians, subordination of the Saxons, consolidation of the Alemanni and the virtual subordination of the Frisians. Such a realm is already larger than a combined realm of the Occitan, Italy and Iberia under the Goths.

Give one of the Frankish leaders the idea that Realteilung (spiting inheritance among all heirs) is bad, when trying to built a lasting kingdom/empire, and enough cloud to force a change and let it last.

It is actually pretty well established that France's population fell w/r/t Germany beginning around the revolution, not before it, and that this was likely due to the impact of the revolution itself. Look at the TFR figures, France is not behind the rest of Europe in growth/birth rates during most the 18th C, its population only drops below 20% of Europe total after the revolution during the 19th C.
Oh, that's really an interesting article, thanks for sending it our way! Well, on the one hand I really don't know anything about demographics, on the other hand I don't know how modern nationalism would develop if we butterfly the french revolution, so I'm at a loss then. Regardless, this was a good AH discussion imho - I got to learn things!

Give one of the Frankish leaders the idea that Realteilung (spiting inheritance among all heirs) is bad, when trying to built a lasting kingdom/empire, and enough cloud to force a change and let it last.
Pretty much the reason why I think a surviving Frankish Empire is the best way to achieve this. You'd easily end up with a state that includes present-day France, Germany, Switzerland Austria, and the BeNeLux, which is just under ~200million people. If you make it a Roman-Frankish Empire and you're adding Northern Italy, with possible inroads into Catalonia/Aragon, the Pannonian basin, and the Illyrian coast and you can easily reach a population of ~250 million. There would still be some language diversity, especially in the south and east, but it would be possible for everyone to still see themselves as part of the same Franco-Roman nationality ala Han Chinese.

N7Buck

Banned
Pod: 1775 goes differently, by 1980 (otl) the Anglo population is around 150 million, as Britain is part Europe, and the core parts of the empire, the British Empire would be the largest European nation-state.

This state would be a mix of Protestant denominations, Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregations. A large Catholic population.

There would be about 60 million people in the British Isles, there would be less than 200 million people in British America and around 20 million people in British Australasia.

The big languages would be English, with many diverse dialects, American Southern, Scottish and Australian. Quebecois French, German.

It would be the most geographically diverse country, yet a very coherent national identity.

this path of just having a really large East Slavic nation will not count.
This proscription is only for East Slavic nations? Alrighty then, The East-West divide never solidifies and a North Slavic dialect continuum is preserved. The massive state of Wendy stretches from the Elbe to the Bering Strait.

Have Phillip II marry Mary of England and have their child marry into the French royal family, then have one heir emerge. Pretty much all of Europe west of the Oder and Danube along with much of the rest of the world then comes under one dynasty. One potentially very inbred dynasty.

Possibly. My idea is that no empire is going to live forever and through a common language and religion a common nationality can be molded. In OTL after the fall of the West and the Eastern provinces the Roman identity became incredibly insular
I mean for the purposes of thread success having an empire "live forever" (which tbh is an empty clause and statement) is perfectly valid otherwise having the empire transition into altered forms that sustain it ala an HRE or simply giving the popular definition of a Roman Empire 400 more years before collapsing it and see what that does. Forming a "Roman" identity that sustains itself past the empire in both noble and popular context honestly is the main way forward imo.

Rebuild the Roman identity by a marriage involving Charlemagne and the Byzantine royal family and somehow keep the whole resulting polity under one person. Use the Islamic threat and Roman heritage/tradition as a means to weld very different nationalities by common cause. Reconquer Britain, Spain, and North Africa at sone point, Egypt and the Levant if at all possible, and take over Ireland as well as perhaps southern Scandinavia or even a few Atlantic islands.

A random map for the thread, inspired by stuff from @Upvoteanthology and @Nugax : different events during the migrations period lead to a larger Germanized area in Europe and a larger "German Unification."

BigGermany.PNG

Last edited: