AHC: Brazilian music as dominant as American music

Is there any way to make Brazilian music (in terms of musical styles and/or artists) as dominant, popular, influential, etc. worldwide as American music is OTL? Or at least as popular as you can manage to get it? This forum seemed like the best place to put this but the PoD can be before 1900 if necessary.

Bossa Nova, Calypso, etc were big for a while in the mid-to-late 50s and into the early 1960s. At a time when Rock and Roll was thought to be a fad, it was assumed that such music would replace it. That didn't happen.

The POD must be at the max 1945, it was the golden age of the brazilian music, of course we had some very nice bands of the "Jovem guarda" in the 60s, but it was already too late, mostly because the american culture took over of the entire world, including brazil

I wonder if this could be accomplished just with a purely "musical" PoD (say, killing off an important American musician and crippling the birth of rock and roll), or whether we would need an economic/political/social PoD to change the relative positions of the US and Brazil.

American popular music seems to most people to take up a broader range of styles (folk, country, jazz, rock, middle-of-road pop, r&b, rap, etc.) than Brazilian. Now maybe this is simply ignorance on their part because they know Brazilian popular [1] music *only* though samba and bossa nova. No doubt there is a greater range to it than that. But it is nevertheless true that it is through samba and bossa nova that Brazilian music has become known to the world, and those genres, however interesting, are not varied enough to rival American music on a world stage.

[1] Of course there is Brazilian classical music, too, but the only name in it well-known to most people outside Brazil is Villa-Lobos.

The Anglosphere is much bigger, richer and more populous than the Lusosphere, and including the "extended anglosphere" (where people learn English) the difference is even greater.

But it is nevertheless true that it is through samba and bossa nova that Brazilian music has become known to the world, and those genres, however interesting, are not varied enough to rival American music on a world stage.

Hmm, I sense an opportunity for choro to be up there.

As a general rule, I think that butterflying away WWII and the lead up to it, specially Nazism, can make American culture far less dominant worldwide.

Specifically in this case, an "easy"* way to popularize a band or singer across many countries is through TV. Have a successful TV show (or a few) which feature a rock/pop (so you don't sell a different musical genre) singer/band in the main cast and those musicians will be doing shows (and selling lots of tickets) in the countries where the show was successful, even years afterwards.
The downside is that this doesn't tend to work for already established and successful musicians, who don't take part in these type of shows, and that it doesn't usually open the floodgates to the rest of the country's musical production.

*As "easy" as making a successful TV show and market it worldwide is :rolleyes:

Maybe if they had more success in the 19th and the early 20th century by have good economic policies which in turn turns them into a world power by 1939.
That way they can be involved in WW2 and make significant contributions to the fighting while also bringing their music the Europe that way.
So all in all make Brazil into the South American version of the USA.

Maybe if they had more success in the 19th and the early 20th century by have good economic policies which in turn turns them into a world power by 1939.
That way they can be involved in WW2 and make significant contributions to the fighting while also bringing their music the Europe that way.
So all in all make Brazil into the South American version of the USA.

Errr... Brazil fought along the Allies in WWII, they fought in the South Atlantic and Italy

Indeed they did but I was thinking of something on a much larger scale, so a good amount of Europe will be in in touch with them so to say.
Maybe have them run something smiler to the Marshall Plan.
Everything so Brazil will get more national prestige and more cultural export.

Riain

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Brazilian song lyrics in Portuguese? Global use of Portuguese is somewhat limited which would limit the appeal of Brazilian music worldwide.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Brazilian song lyrics in Portuguese? Global use of Portuguese is somewhat limited which would limit the appeal of Brazilian music worldwide.

Except for Sepultura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDuSMQax1Q
But then again, that's heavy metal, so understandable lyrics aren't a priority.

In any case, well, yes, but music isn't that tied to the language barrier. While you can't really dub it like a movie, musicians can be popular among populations which (mostly) don't understand the lyrics.

Indeed they did but I was thinking of something on a much larger scale, so a good amount of Europe will be in in touch with them so to say.
Maybe have them run something smiler to the Marshall Plan.
Everything so Brazil will get more national prestige and more cultural export.

A Brazilian led Marshall Plan would do it, but how much richer would Brazil need to be offer such a thing to a Europe devastated by an alt-World War?

Maybe if a Brazilian style like samba or bossa nova gets taken up and popularized by a musician in the US or UK, potentially in place of rock and roll?