AHC Alternate or Surviving Languages

Hello i am now back and since this threat is dead i will revive it by posting my own alternate languages (Like the alternate Ethnicities Thread)

Continental English
Official Language: N/A
Language Family: Indo European -> Germanic -> West Germanic -> Ingvaeonic -> Anglo-Frisian -> Anglic -> English -> Continental English
Writing Script: Latin Alphabet
General Area: Continental Europe Typically found in Normandy , Calais , Coastal Flanders and Frisia
Loan words: 30% French 20% Dutch

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
Hello i am now back and since this threat is dead i will revive it by posting my own alternate languages (Like the alternate Ethnicities Thread)

Continental English
Official Language: N/A
Language Family: Indo European -> Germanic -> West Germanic -> Ingvaeonic -> Anglo-Frisian -> Anglic -> English -> Continental English
Writing Script: Latin Alphabet
General Area: Coontinental Europe Typically found in Normandy , Calais , Coastal Flanders and Frisia
Loan words: 30% French 20% Dutch
Thank you for reviving it, I forgot it existed tbh.

Baltic English
Area: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Prussia
Speakers: ,6 mln
loanwords: 5% Slavic, 10% Low German, 2% Scandinavian

Language spoken by descendants of Anglo Saxons who migrated to Prussia after the battle of Hastings. They founded the Kingdom of East Mercia and christianized the Baltic tribes, ultimately assimilating them. The language retains 4 cases and verb conjugations of Old English, its phonology shows Slavic influences

Armorican(Angevin)
General Area: Armorica
Writing Script Latin Alphabet
Family Indo European, Italic, Romance, Gallo Romance
OTL Equivalent, Oil West of Seine
Romance Language Spoken West of Seine, North of Loire.
They use D'ot/Ot instead of Avec.

Lorraine(Lorenian/Lotharingian/Walloon/Champenois/Lyonnais)
General Area: Gallia Lugdunensis, east of Armorican territory, Gallia Belgica, Germania Inferior
Writing Script Latin Alphabet
Family Indo European, Italic, Romance, Gallo Romance
OTL Equivalent, Oil East of Seine, Arpitan and Moselle Romance
Romance Language Spoken East of Seine, North of Occitan.
They use Avec and its variants

Last edited:
Madagascar tamil
Area: the island of Madagascar
Language family: Dravidian > Southern > Tamil–Kannada > Tamil–Kodagu >Tamil- Malayalam > Old Tamil > Madagascar tamil
Writing script: Latin script
Loan words: 20% Madagascar indigenous languages
History: when the cholas conquered large parts of South and southeast Asia, they also conquered the island of Madagascar. After the fall of the chola empire, a large tamil speaking population remained in the island and assimilated into the local populace but maintained their language. The language is very different from modern tamil with limited mutual intelligibility

Westron

Westron is a West Germanic language variety spoken in the eastern provinces of Wales which were gained by Owain I after the Tripartite Indenture - notably in the Severn Valley metropolitan area and also in the industrial valleys of South Wales. It is sometimes called Eastern Welsh to distinguish it from Welsh proper, the Brythonic Celtic language. Westron is considered to have originated as a hybrid of Middle Welsh and Middle English.

Westron is recognised as an indigenous language of Wales, a regional or minority language of Europe, and a vulnerable language by UNESCO. In the 2011 Welsh Census, over 2.5 million people in Wales reported being able to speak Westron.

Broad Westron is at one end of a bipolar linguistic continuum, with Welsh Standard English, spoken in the capital Caerleon at the other. Westron is sometimes regarded as a variety of English, though it has its own distinct dialects; other scholars treat Westron as a distinct Germanic language, in the way that Norwegian is closely linked to but distinct from Danish. It is sometimes disparagingly referred to as 'Scymraeg' - a portmanteau of 'Saesneg' and 'Cymraeg'.

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
Masher Anglish: the Language of the Other Delta
EAE Wikibox.png

i feel that all the languages here (including the ones i had posted) are fusions of old languages, rather than new ones.

Vinlandic language (Vinlandsk, Vinlandnorsk, Katolsknorsk)
Official Language: Co-official with Portuguese in the Provinces of Nova Noruega [1] and Bacalhau [2] in the Kingdom of Terranova in Portugal
Language Family: Germanic > North Germanic > West Scandinavian > Norwegian dialects > Vinlandic
Region: 2.75 million speakers, mostly around Nova Noruega and Bacalhau, although there are also a large amount of speakers outside of these two provinces in Terranova
Writing Script: Latin
Loan Words: Most of the loan words in this language are mostly from the Iberian Romance languages (mainly Galician-Portuguese and Astur-Leonese) and the indigenous Beotuc and Micmaqui languages

History: Portugal manages to successfully colonize both OTL Eastern Canada and New England in this timeline as a settler colony, leading to the creation of the Kingdom of Terranova in the early 19th century as a Constitutional Kingdom of Portugal to the present day. In the colony's early years, although it started out in the 16th century with colonists from the Azores, Galicia and Asturias, it is also settled by Catholic refugees from Scandinavia fleeing from persecution after the Lutheran Reformation, mostly from Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.
These mostly Norwegian refugees begin to diverge from the rest of the Nordic peoples because of their devout Catholicism (and is still true when compared to their generally Lutheran but secular Scandinavian counterparts in the present day) and exposure to the general Portuguese population as the colony developed over time, calling themselves "Vinlanders" in honor of the part of North America discovered by the Vikings centuries earlier and creating a divergent Vinlandic dialect of Norwegian (with Icelandic and Faroese influences) that has foreign loan words from mostly Portuguese and the indigenous languages spoken there.
Initially the Vinlanders were settled mostly around the island of Bacalhau and their given land in the mainland part in Nova Noruega (New Norway). The impact of these Scandinavian Catholic refugees was vital in that they helped assist with the early colonial settlers into the generally cold environment of Terranova, and regularly intermarried with Portuguese settlers, which is reflected in facial features such as a higher proportion of blonde hair and blue eyes among the Portuguese population as well as surnames (i.e. Andersen, Johansen, Berg, etc... ). Today around 40% of Terranova's Portuguese population have at least some degree of Scandinavian ancestry as a result of centuries of intermarriage.

[1] More or less around OTL Nova Scotia
[2] OTL Newfoundland

Last edited:
Language: Common Khazar

Official Language: Co-Official with "Old Khazar" and Hebrew in the Khazar Khaganate.

Language family*: Turkic<Oghuric<Old Khazar<Common Khazar

Writing script: Hebrew alphabet.

Loanwords: 20% West Germanic, 10% Semitic, 10% Slavic, 5% Romance, %3 Kartvelian

History: ITTL the Khazar Khaganate survived and expanded, becoming a multi-ethnic state predominately united by Judaism and military service. At around 50%, Khazars themselves only represent a slim majority; with around 90% of Khazars professing Judaism. Jews of other ethnic groups make up around 35%, with the remaining 15% being composed of other Turkic groups, Caucasians, Slavs, and some Arabs. Ashkenazim make up a plurality of the non-Khazar Jewish ethnic groups, prompting a massive influx of Yiddish words into the language. As other groups moved in, the Khazar language became more and more heterogeneous. The Old Khazar language, with minimal non-Turkic loanwords (save for some Hebrew) is preserved in the incredibly reclusive and insular aristocracy and royal family, as well as the elite Tarhkhan regiments. Old Khazar is also used on ceremonial state occasions. Hebrew primarily serves as the liturgical language, being used both for prayer and to issue rabbinic degrees and correspondence across ethnic lines.

i feel that all the languages here (including the ones i had posted) are fusions of old languages, rather than new ones.
I think people in this thread do overestimate the amount of loanwords the languages in their scenarios would have or which languages they'd come from, but I think you have an unfair description given very few people here have posted samples of their languages.

Speaking for myself, my fictional "Eastern Athabaskan" American Indian language I posted way back would indeed be it's own thing and not really a fusion of any language that exists OTL, even if their ethnonym "Tetchoquin" ("people of the great river") is obviously cognate with Athabaskan groups who have the same name like the Tlicho/Dogrib people. I do think I could do a better job on that write up or the large amount of ATL Athabaskan peoples I invented for my TL but I'm always learning new things everyday .

Dacian Gothic
Speakers
: 25 mln
Loanwords: 5% Romance, 5% Slavic
Distinguishing characteristics: survival of 5 cases, no umlaut, no rhotacism, Slavic influence in phonology