A True October Surprise: The Added Surprises

That makes it sound like it's a Star Trek TV series.

"Captain's log, Stardate 728863.21: Despite this infobox series only tangentially touching on space-related matters and not being adapted for television, I have been told that it is still only the second-worst Star Trek television series to date."

If you don't mind me asking, who's the Taoiseach of Ireland as of 2016?

Micheál Martin is the Taoiseach, having won the 2015 parliamentary elections to topple Phil Hogan's Fine Gael-led government.

Oh...so this is only for October?

Yes. Check post the second post on the thread.

Some honestly great stuff here LC, I was impressed with the Quebec wikibox in particular.

Out of curiosity, if you've even decided, who is the Prime Minister of Poland as of 2016?

Some honestly great stuff here LC, I was impressed with the Quebec wikibox in particular.

Out of curiosity, if you've even decided, who is the Prime Minister of Poland as of 2016?

Thank you.

The current PM of Poland is Bronisław Komorowski, who leads a center/center-left (by Polish standards) coalition, although it is questionable exactly how long he will be around as a result of disarray within his party (Polish Civic Union, one of the major parties in the Sejm alongside the Coalition for Law and Order).

In the Pale Moonlight
In the Pale Moonlight is a 2009 American war film that has been considered the definitive Congo War film and greatest American war film since Band of Brothers (2000). Frequently compared to Apocalypse Now, In the Pale Moonlight tells the story of a fictionalized version of the Navy SEAL Team Six, led by Captain Martin Walker (played by Jack Bowman) sent deep into the Congolese jungle to "neutralize" Jules Baganda (played by Idris Elba), a Congolese warlord who has become famous for his brutality. As the team moves deeper into the jungle to locate and destroy Baganda and his militia, its members are forced into increasingly desperate and brutal situations and begin to question whether they are any better than the man they are tasked to kill.

The film has been widely praised for its unflinching look at the dark side of the United Nations intervention in the Congo, and Elba's performance as Baganda has garnered universal acclaim. Nevertheless, the film is still extremely controversial in some quarters. Despite several recorded instances of torture and ethically dubious actions taken by special forces attached to the Congo Stabilization Force during the Congo War, the film's graphic portrayal of American soldiers beating and threatening captured Congolese soldiers (including child soldiers), as well as committing other brutal acts, has resulted in the film sometimes being considered "anti-American" and anti-military by American conservatives. The film's focus on mostly American characters has also been the point of criticism, as has the relatively shallow portrayal of most Congolese depicted with the exception of Baganda. During the film's production, the news that very few of the actors involved were African was also a point of controversy, which resulted in several minor roles being recast.

inthepalemoonlight.png

Just a note: both Bowman and Mark Faulkner (the second lead) are fictional people, as is this TL's version of Idris Elba.

Last edited:
Just a note: both Bowman and Mark Faulkner (the second lead) are fictional people.

That's what I figured. Although Idris Elba was born after the POD. Maybe the butterflies didn't alter his birth and life too much to make him unrecognizable from OTL.

It's cool to see the pop culture that develops in ATLs, especially ones that take the butterflies into consideration.

Also it looks like Band of Brothers was a movie instead of a miniseries. Was it made instead of Saving Private Ryan?

That's what I figured. Although Idris Elba was born after the POD. Maybe the butterflies didn't alter his birth and life too much to make him unrecognizable from OTL.

Son of a bitch. For some reason, I thought that Elba was a bit older. Maybe I confused him with someone else I'd been thinking of using for the role. Oh well.

In that case, this version of Idris Elba, who also happens to be an actor, isn't the same as OTL Idris Elba, but still has the same parents and general background.

It's cool to see the pop culture that develops in ATLs, especially ones that take the butterflies into consideration.

Also it looks like Band of Brothers was a movie instead of a miniseries. Was it made instead of Saving Private Ryan?

Yes, although the concept is essentially the same as OTL Saving Private Ryan (being inspired by the Niland brothers) with the focus on the squad sent to retrieve Private Murphy (the Ryan analog), who appears only at the very end of the film.

I think I'll post the final two infoboxes tomorrow, since they aren't spooky enough for Halloween.

Also, I almost had a small heart attack when @fjihr brought up Star Trek just before I was about to post the most recent infobox.

Anna Chennault
A long-time figure in Republican Party circles, Anna Chennault is a former ambassador and the widow of former Air Force general Claire Chennault, famous for leading the "Flying Tigers" in World War II. Born Chen Xiangmei in Beijing (then known as Peking), she initially worked as a journalist, meeting her future husband during the war. Despite the 30 year age gap, the two married in 1947 and enjoyed General Chennault's status as a minor celebrity and war hero. The general died of lung cancer in 1958, but Chennault continued to be a fixture in Republican foreign policy circles (notably as a member of the influential "China Lobby") in addition to fundraising and working in other business interests.

Although unknown to all but a few at the time, Chennault was told she would act as an intermediary between Richard Nixon's presidential campaign and the leaders of South Vietnam during the 1968 election, in all likelihood to persuade South Vietnam's leadership that they would be better served with Nixon in the White House rather than Humphrey. However, this egregious violation of the Logan Act (which prohibits private citizens from negotiating on behalf of the United States) never came to pass, as Chennault never was given the go-ahead by the campaign.

Chennault spent the Humphrey and Muskie years burnishing her Republican credentials, including a two-year term as the chairwoman for the District of Columbia Republican Party. After George Bush was elected, Chennault was rewarded for her party loyalty with the ambassadorship to the Republic of China (Taiwan)—although the move turned out to be less high-profile than expected, as Bush and Secretary Nixon began the recognition of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the transition towards recognizing the Beijing government soon after entering office. Her outspoken dislike of the PRC that had helped earn her the nickname of "Dragon Lady" soon gradually turned to grudging respect with the ascendance of Deng Xiaoping. Chennault would, in fact, be the final ambassador to the Republic of China before the formal switch of diplomatic recognition of the PRC as the legal government of China in 1983.

Opting not to stay on as the de facto ambassador to Taiwan, Chennault spent the rest of the Bush and Dole years as an adviser on exports before gradually reducing her party fundraising as age began catching up with her. Now fully retired, Chennault makes only occasional visits from her residence at the Watergate Complex in Washington DC and refuses to answer questions about her potential involvement in the Vietnamese peace negotiations in 1968.

chennault.png

What are relations with the ROC like 'now' In ATOS?

Between the US? Similar to OTL- the US doesn't recognize them as the legitimate government of China, but has made it quite clear to the People's Republic that they will defend Taiwan if Beijing attempts to conquer the "rogue province" by force of arms.

Sneaky bastard.

Honestly, it fits both as a nod to the building's OTL notoriety thanks to Nixon and as a spot where a longtime politically-prominent DC resident like Chennault would reside.

Humphrey Foundation
The Humphrey Foundation is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) that works to increase public health, scientific research, international understanding and charitable organizing. Originally founded as the Hubert H. Humphrey Foundation by backers of the then-vice president during his 1968 campaign, the foundation grew in importance after Humphrey's election. During Humphrey's presidency, the "Happy Warrior" began to accumulate projects he intended his foundation to address during his post-presidency, but his death in office made him unable to fulfill those ambitions. Renamed shortly before its namesake's death, the Humphrey Foundation has worked for nearly fifty years to improve the state of scientific research, public health and spread international goodwill and understanding through grants, scholarships, education and funding to promote less-prominent charitable organizations.

Since President Humphrey's death, the Humphrey family has maintained active involvement in the foundation, and the president's son and former governor Hubert "Skip" Humphrey III has been the chief executive officer (CEO) since his retirement from politics. The Humphrey Foundation's partnership with the University of Minnesota has also set the trend for former presidents to associate either their presidential libraries or charitable organizations with their alma maters (as is the case with presidents Dole, Huddleston and Riley) or prominent universities in their state (such as former presidents Bush and Gephardt).

The bent for social justice and protection of human dignity that the Humphrey family has advocated has soaked through into the foundation (whose slogan itself alludes to then-Mayor Humphrey's speech beseeching the Democratic Party to stand for civil rights) and its activities. Its direct and indirect efforts to promote civil rights in both the United States and abroad have led to historians considering it one of the most active components to the Humphrey legacy, alongside affirmative action programs for low-income students, universal health care, worker safety laws, and environmental regulations.

humphreyfoundation.png

Author's note: The last infobox was chosen to end this series on a positive note and to show some of what was left behind by a few percentage-points' change in the right direction in the 1968 election.

I hope everyone enjoyed the series and it expanded the ATOSverse in a satisfactory way.

For those American readers eligible to vote, make sure that you're registered and get out to the polls on November 8th (or before then if your state allows early voting). You may not be able to vote for Deval Patrick or Bill Haslam, but you can still make your voice heard!

Last edited: