A Tropical Queen - Brazil 1964 TL

Continue that timeline,please! You are giving me motivation to do a Imperial Brazil TL!

I will continue yes, I am very excited with the feedback from TL, I did not imagine that being about Brazil anyone would care. About your TL of Brazil Empire, please write, is one of my favorite periods of the country, would certainly read.

Back to Normal
Back to Normal

-The Country completely overcame the coup attempt. Today we are celebrating five months of Victory Day. The population is united with me in the defense of democracy.

-President, the latest poll by Ibope indicates that its popularity continues to grow. The reforms you are advocating are also gaining support, criticisms of your government are increasingly restricted. What do you attribute to this series of positive news?
hqdefault.jpg

Opening of Jornal de Vanguarda
It was September 2, 1964, and the President transmitted a message of normality to the country. That day was broadcast, in color, his interview in the Jornal de Vanguarda, presented by Fernando Barbosa Lima.

In those five months that had passed, they all painted the scenery of a normal and united country. The greatest risk the government had run in this period was when General Amaury Kruel discovered that Jango would not keep his promise of war.

Officially the mood subsided, but Kruel soon backed the opposition to Goulart, building behind him an anti-communist alliance against Jango. As for the United States, the President kept his early promises, and even the official trip to Washington was already being planned.

Another factor that aggravated Goulart's opposition was the strong influence of Leonel Brizola on the government. Under his influence, President Goulart spoke again in defense of the basic reforms. This time, without the hard-line military opposition and with the conservative elite weakened, popular adherence to reforms quickly grew.
11217881.jpeg

Leonel Brizola, strong man of the Goulart Government after the coup
Despite encouraging reforms, Jango tried to establish himself clearly as a Democrat and not as a Communist. The president's two priorities were Agrarian Reform and Educational Reform.

Goulart also sought to harness his momentum of popularity to lay more solid foundations on popular affection. He invested and injected large amounts of money into TV Excelsior, from the great supporter Mário Wallace Simonsen. He has spoken in every corner of the country, appeared in interviews and radio and television advertisements every week. He made his approach to popular characters, such as former President Juscelino Kubitschek.

And perhaps the most satisfactory of its measures: the greater use of the image of the First Lady. Of discreet woman, Jango elevates his wife to an aspirant Evita. She participated actively in rallies alongside her husband and even alone, meeting with Governors and Senators, actively defending her husband's reforms. Soon the young and beautiful Maria Thereza became one of the best-known faces in the country.
o-cruzeiro-1964maria-teresa-goulartbrizolatio-mendonho-11521-MLB20045521420_022014-O.jpg

Maria Thereza, the favorite cover of every magazine
-That positive news means the people's support. People know that reforms will only benefit them. Senator Pedro Ludovico is articulating with the Government in Congress so that the reforms are in full swing before the next election.

The Senator Pedro Ludovico Teixeira had been chosen in the President of the Senate, after the resignation of Auro de Moura Andrade. Pedro Ludovico was the father of Jango's ally and Governor of Goiás, Mauro Borges Teixeira.
200px-Pedro_Ludovico_Teixeira_Perfil.jpg

Senator Pedro Ludovico, President of the Senate
-Then we come to the key. The next election. Will you be a candidate for re-election, President?

Laughing, Jango fumbled.

-The Constitution is clear, the President can not run for re-election.

-But you were not elected President, I say, not for the office of President. You were elected to the vice-presidency, technically it would not be a re-election.

-This would be a rather controversial interpretation of the Constitution.

-But with your popularity. And with Senator Pedro Ludovico in charge. This reading could be authorized by Congress.

-I'll make it clear here for the whole of Brazil. I will not contradict the Constitution and be an irregular candidate.

-And if you're not a candidate? Who will support your succession?

-I'll be totally neutral. Election is a democratic process in which the President should not interfere.

-President, I must thank you for your participation and leave here open the invitation to interview First Lady Maria Thereza. Viewers are begging.

-Fernando, my wife will come to your program with pleasure. Thank you for the opportunity to talk a little with this Brazil and spread the Reforms a little more.

-Thank you, Mr President. And now, following the schedule of Excelsior TV, Moacyr Franco Show!

A-Breve-Hist%C3%B3ria-da-TV-Excelsior-13.jpg

TV Excelsior Logo

Since TV Excelsior survived in this scenario, would Wallace Simonsen move part of television operations to Rio de Janeiro, particularly the telenovela department? Was there any long-term plan for Emissoras Associados (proto-Rede Tupi) once Assis Chateaubriand died? What happened to Radio Mayrink Vega?

It's always nice to see a South American TL.

Watched.

Thanks!

Since TV Excelsior survived in this scenario, would Wallace Simonsen move part of television operations to Rio de Janeiro, particularly the telenovela department? Was there any long-term plan for Emissoras Associados (proto-Rede Tupi) once Assis Chateaubriand died? What happened to Radio Mayrink Vega?

TV Excelsior had already acquired Radio Mayrink Veiga's Channel 2 in Rio de Janeiro in 1963, so yes, they are likely to be increasing their participation in Rio de Janeiro in the coming years. About Chatô, although ill he is still alive, so for now he still commands everything. When he dies it will probably happen what happened in IOTL, the dispute between Tupi of Rio and Tupi of São Paulo. But without Globo, it will probably survive longer. Radio Mayrink Veiga continues to function and supports Goulart.

In any case, the TV's will be very cited in TL. In Brazil they are practically the 4th Power

The Ball in Alvorada
The Ball in Alvorada

The day was September 12, 1964, the sixty-two year anniversary of former President Juscelino Kubitscheck. In a gesture of approximation, Joao Goulart had organized the feast in the halls of the Alvorada Palace.

All the great politicians of the country were there, accompanied by their wives and relatives.

While in the background played the song success of the dances that year, Baile da Saudade, in the voice of Francisco Petrônio, Juscelino Kubitscheck danced in the hall with Maria Thereza Goulart. The President was dancing with Sarah Kubitscheck.
Baile da Saudade, a success in the balls of 1964
“Ai que saudade eu tenho
Dos bailes de outrora
Das valsas bem rodadas
De Branca e de Aurora
Das ondas de serestas, nas noites de lua,
Os jovens namorados aos pares na rua.
Já não se dançam mais
Estas valsas tão lindas
A falta que nos faz
Que lembranças infindas
Evocação divina da lira sonora
O baile da saudade dançamos agora
Que saudades.... da retreta,
Espartilho.... bengala.... e palheta,
Do bondinho.... de cem réis,
Das varandas e dos coronéis”

The daughters of JK, Márcia and Maria Estela were the most requested pairs of the night, with the clear exception of the First Lady. Benedito Valadares, Amaral Peixoto, Pedro Ludovico, Ulysses Guimarães, Tancredo Neves, Marechal Henrique Teixeira Lott, all danced and remembered the time of Getúlio. Even UDN politicians were invited.
Captura-de-Tela-2013-11-11-%c3%a0s-18.56.44.png

Former President Kubitscheck and his daughters, Márcia and Maria Estela
The population and the newspapers speculated. This party for Juscelino could be two messages from Jango: the first is that he would not be a candidate and lend his support to him, the second is that he would be a candidate and was trying to "conquer" the one who was the favorite for the Election. Or rather, the favorite in case Goulart did not compete.

But regardless of the political antics behind the ball, that night was unparalleled in Brasilia. Some have compared this day as the last great ball of the Empire, the Ball of the Fiscal Island. The great difference is that one preceded the fall of the Regime in six days, while the other sent a message of strength, unity and renaissance.

When the band stopped playing and Francisco Petronio's voice stopped, all the couples who danced separated and looked at the stage. President Goulart went up there and then invited Kubitscheck.

-I invite my great friend, President Juscelino Kubitscheck to the stage. We had so much music in his honor is his turn to honor us.
jk_jango.jpg

Former Presidente Kubitscheck and President Goulart, in the Ball in Alvorada
The former president Juscelino went up there and thanked Jango. Soon the well-known melody of the favorite music, the music that identified JK began to play.

With emotion, Juscelino sang, accompanied by the crowd, Peixe Vivo.

“A minha alma chorou tanto,
Que de pranto está vazia
Desde que aqui fiquei,
Sem a sua companhia
Não há pranto sem saudade
Nem amor sem alegria
É por isso que eu reclamo
Essa tua companhia
Como pode um peixe vivo
Viver fora da água fria?
Como poderei viver
Como poderei viver
Sem a tua, sem a tua
Sem a tua companhia?
Sem a tua, sem a tua
Sem a tua companhia?”
Peixe Vivo, the favorite song by former President Kubitschek
For many years after that day, the Ball in Alvorada was marked in the popular imagination. More than a tribute to JK, that day was sold as a great post-coup party. A moment where politicians and the whole society simply celebrated and danced. Seeing the smiling images of João Goulart and Kubitscheck, of the happy and young Maria Thereza, of that harmony among all, no one could imagine that one day the Ball in Alvorada would stop being today and would only be a happy remembrance of a distant past.

Very interesting how MPB music might evolve TTL without the dictatorship. And then the impact that might have elsewhere in Latin America.

Very interesting how MPB music might evolve TTL without the dictatorship. And then the impact that might have elsewhere in Latin America.

Maybe even butterflies Tropicalia :D....or not....

Nice updated by the way

Those artists who made a success in MPB did not do just to be opposition of the Dictatorship, they really had talent. But obviously there are great songs in IOTL that will not exist in ITTL, such as Cálice, Apesar de Você or Alegria, Alegria (At least not with its original meaning).

Amazing TL AdrianoChika, I'm loving it! I've been lurking here for a long time, but I think it is time to get more involved, and your writing is the main reason behind it (and the Map Threads as well, but that's another story :biggrin:).

And also, this part:
And there, in the heart of the Paraíba Valley, there was one of the bloodiest battles on Brazilian soil in history. General Âncora saw with pain the blood of young cadets, the future of army officers, being shed by his soldiers. The result of the Battle of the Paraíba Valley, which would always be remembered on April 1, was a resounding victory for the 1st Army. One of the biggest trophies was the arrest of General Emílio Garrastazu Médici.

Oh God, I live there! XD It makes me wonder how an huge armed conflict would change the the region characteristics; very interesting...

Amazing TL AdrianoChika, I'm loving it! I've been lurking here for a long time, but I think it is time to get more involved, and your writing is the main reason behind it (and the Map Threads as well, but that's another story :biggrin:).

And also, this part:

Oh God, I live there! XD It makes me wonder how an huge armed conflict would change the the region characteristics; very interesting...

Thank you very much, I am very happy that you are enjoying TL, I am very excited about the feedback I am receiving, here are more Brazilians than I imagined. About the Paraíba Valley, I imagine there has been a lot of destruction at the battle site, probably the region will never be as before (I do not say worse than OTL, just different)

I'm really enjoying this timeline, it's nice to see more timelines focusing on South America, especially Brazil.
The only other one I've found is One Nation Under the Southern Cross by Rdffigueira.
I'm eager tho see in what direction a Brazil where the "Reformas de Base" were more successful.
Keep up the great work!

Agrarian Reform
Agrarian Reform

The month of November of 1964 brought to the President João Goulart the accomplishment of one of his most wanted proposals. The main point of his reform plans was Agrarian Reform.

Under the protest of many landowners and the commemoration of an immense population that increasingly supported Goulart, Congress approved the text of Agrarian Reform.

Hundreds of unexplored farms were expropriated and handed over to the poor peasant population that had no land. The Government celebrated this victory as a new step for a social and popular Brazil, concerned about the poor and the peasants.
Goulart%20e%20Plano%20Trienal%20-%20CANAL%20DO%20EDUCADOR.jpg

João Goulart signing the Agrarian Reform
From his exile Carlos Lacerda denounced the "Coup against Agriculture". He condemned Goulart's actions as communist and undemocratic, stealing land from the working people and giving it to the unemployed.

Political analysts declared that this success of Goulart would serve as the kickoff of a campaign for re-election. Rumors that jurists were already at the Palace of the Planalto assembling a thesis that the ban on re-election would not include Jango, as he had never been elected president, were scattered in major newspapers in the country.

Juscelino praised President Goulart's success and made a full-fledged speech promising that if he returned to the presidency he would make even more important reforms. "Now it will be 500 years in 5 years." But at the end of his speech, he confessed that he had not yet decided whether he would be a candidate.
002.jpg

Former President Juscelino Kubitschek in a speech
President Goulart planned his trip to the United States in two weeks, where he would meet President Johnson personally. Many believed that the President would announce his controversial candidacy after the return of the USA.

Goulart and Brizola had also already started to work on other reforms, it is expected to send to Congress the Urban Reform and Educational Reform in a few weeks.

Last edited:
And I'll tell you a story that my grandfather told me: he said that, during the Legality Campaign by Leonel Brizola in 1961, his family would hide under the table in fear of an air bombing and they would listen to the radio, on which, in the moment that Brizola was about to speak, this music would play:
...an aged one, but on which there is this part - "protest against the tyrant, refuse treason, for a people is only really great if their nation is free!" - something perhaps anticipating a true war. For what my grandparents tell me, it was interesting but scary.
If the Second Brazilian Republic never fell the way it was described here, I wonder where would we head to. As alignment with the Soviets out of question, Brazil would either align with the US... or become nonaligned, like Yugoslavia. This I think would be too radical for the described scenario, but becoming a social democracy still in the American orbit could be the most probable. Afterwards, this could avoid most military coups in Latin America and, if Brazil really got close to the USA, its way of dealing with the State and Economics could be a model for other Latin American countries.
But expect attacks coming from Cuba.