A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

We will see how things would go. If Henry VI drift again in the madness or the Queen or Somerset will do something stupid is likely who we will see a war

Chapter 42: Wet

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 42: Wet

There she was, in all her glory, wearing the loosest little dress he’d ever seen. Edward walked towards her and called her name. “Mary?”

Mary turned around and smiled at him. “Lord March, what are you doing here?”

“I came to speak with you, and please call me Edward.” Edward replied.

Mary’s eyes widened, and her mouth opened slightly. It was the cutest thing he’d ever seen. “Am I in trouble…Edward?” She asked.

“Trouble?” Edward replied, frowning. “Why would you be in trouble?”

Mary smiled a wicked smile, and Edward felt something stir within him. “Because I’ve wanted to do something for a long time, Edward.”

“What?” Edward asked. “What have you wanted to do?”

“This.” Mary replied, she closed the gap between them, tugged his chin down and then crushed their lips together.

Edward yelped in surprise and then quickly groaned in pleasure. This was something new. He’d never kissed someone before. He hoped she didn’t think he was bad. He didn’t think he’d be able to handle it if she thought he was bad. When she broke the kiss, he looked at her with his eyes raised. “Am I bad?” He asked.

Mary smiled again. “Not at all, but I think we should practice some more.”

“I agree.” Edward replied, they started kissing again, and this time Edward felt his little head poking uncomfortably into his pants. Mary’s free hand started moving down his chest and then it reached his pants and she laughed into his lips.

“Seems someone’s excited.”

Edward broke the kiss and looked at her. “It’s not a bad thing, is it?” The confessor had told him that that was a terrible sin.

“Not at all, it’s natural. Would you like me to take care of it?” Mary asked.

“How?” Edward replied.

“I’ll show you.” Mary said, she moved down and undid the strings holding his pants together, he felt air hit his little head and gasped. “Well, well, isn’t this a big fellow.” She kissed it, causing him to gasp, and then, oh God, what was it she was doing? He heard a smacking sound and then heard her ask. “How does that feel?”

“Good.” Edward moaned.

Mary smiled and then he felt her mouth on him again, and oh God it was too good.

Edward woke up with a start. He could hear himself breathing, he blinked in the darkness, trying to figure out what had happened, and why were his pants wet? His hand went down to feel his pants and he groaned. They were soaking wet. Shit.

He couldn’t see where his manservant was in the darkness, but he hoped the man was fast asleep, this was far too embarrassing. Slowly, Edward moved so that his legs were dangling off the edge of the bed, then he raised himself up, his feet touched the cold floor and he had to fight back the urge to gasp. Slowly, he started walking to where he knew his clothes were kept. He could feel something sticky on his left leg and it was making him feel mightily uncomfortable.

He banged into something sharp and cursed.

“Your Highness?” His manservant said.

Edward kept silent, not wanting to let the man know what had happened, but the man didn’t go back to sleep. “Your Highness, are you well?”

“It’s nothing, Edward, go back to sleep.” Edward commanded.

He hoped that would do it, but instead, he heard his manservant, Edward Carey get up, and then a dim light filled the room. Carey shone in it in his direction. “What happened, Your Highness?” Carey asked.

“I don’t know.” Edward admitted. “I was asleep and then suddenly I woke up and my pants were wet.”

“Ah.” Carey said. “Very well, take off your pants, Highness, and leave them on the floor.” The light went away and Edward did as he was bid.

Carey returned moments later with a piece of cloth. “Use this to wipe the stickiness from your leg.” Edward took the cloth and did as he was bid, the thing was wet, and as it touched his leg he gasped again. But when he had finished wiping, he felt a lot cleaner.

He handed the cloth back to Carey, who disappeared for a moment, leaving Edward in the dark again. He remained standing there, wondering what was going on. He could vaguely recall the dream; he would not be able to look Mary in the eyes now. “Here you go, Your Highness.” Carey said, Edward looked at him, the light showed the darkness of his face, and the lightness of his hair. “Take these trousers and put them on.” Edward did as he was bid and once they were on he asked.

“What happened to me?”

“You had a dream, Highness. One I imagine was particularly pleasant.” Carey replied.

“A dream made this happen?” Edward asked.

“Yes, Highness.” Carey said. “Is there a woman you are attracted to?”

“I….” Edward said, wanting to deny it, but also knowing that it was a sin to lie and therefore saying. “Yes.”

“Then that is what caused this.” Carey replied.

“How?” Edward asked.

“You likely had a dream about this woman, a dream that was very intimate in nature. Our bodies have a way of responding to such dreams, and what happened to you is one such way.” Carey said.

“Will this happen a lot?” Edward asked horrified. He did not want to keep waking up with his pants soaked.

“That depends on you, Highness.” Carey replied.

“How?” Edward asked.

“Well, there are two things you can do.” Carey explained. “Either you approach this woman that you find attractive and explain your feelings, or, given your young age, you take care of the issue yourself.”

“How would I do the latter?” Edward asked.

“I will give you a book that explains this.” Carey said.

“What would you do in this situation?” Edward asked.

“Given your age, I would do the latter. I shall give you the book on the morrow.” Carey said.

“Thank you, Edward.” Edward said.

“Not at all, Highness, now back to sleep.” Carey commanded.

Edward obeyed and got back into bed and watched as Carey blew out the light.

Ah...that cannot have been a comfortable situation for young Edward. Thankfully it seems to have been handled without much embarrassment for him. And I assume he'll approach this Mary girl at some point in the future, given that Edward is Edward.

VVD0D95

Banned
Ah...that cannot have been a comfortable situation for young Edward. Thankfully it seems to have been handled without much embarrassment for him. And I assume he'll approach this Mary girl at some point in the future, given that Edward is Edward.
Oh agreed, those situations are never comfortable, abd oh yes indeed mary and Carey are going to be big I. This world

Chapter 43: Concerns

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 43: Concerns

November, 1455

“The longer Salisbury keeps his men up and about, the harder it will be for us to reach any sort of proper peace.” Humphrey Stafford, Duke of Buckingham said.

“I agree.” John de Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk replied. “But the man refuses to take the hint.”

“He’s relying on the legality of the thing. The King has not asked him to disband his warband because he thinks the man will take it to Devon to handle the Bonville and Devon dispute.” Humphrey said.

“What gave him that idea?” Norfolk asked, an eyebrow raised.

“I am not sure.” Humphrey admitted. “I think it might well have something to do with what that fool Dee has been whispering in the King’s ear.” Dee was like a snake as far as Humphrey was concerned, always whispering something or the other in the King’s ear, how much of it was good advice, Humphrey did not know.

“We have to find a way to remove Dee, Humphrey.” Norfolk said. “The man is far too dangerous. You know one of my servants overheard one of Dee’s men talking with a child earlier today.”

Humphrey raised an eyebrow, it was not like Dee to allow such a thing to happen. Perhaps he had instructed the man to be overheard? “What were they talking about?”

“Something to do with a silver swan, and how it needed to be placed in Somerset’s rooms for when he returns.” Norfolk answered.

“A silver swan?” Humphrey asked confused. What could that mean?

“Yes, I wasn’t sure what it meant either. And why would it need to be placed in Somerset’s rooms?” Norfolk replied.

Humphrey thought on that. There was no symbolism behind the silver swan, it would need to be a pin or a badge of some sort, or maybe a sash? But there was no chivalric order with a swan on it. “Perhaps it was a name for something else?” Humphrey suggested.

Norfolk nodded. “What though? What would it be?”

“I do not know. But if Somerset is returning to court, then the King clearly hasn’t learned his lesson.” Humphrey commented. Somerset had been dismissed after the betrothal between his son and York’s daughter, for causing all sorts of chaos-refusing to agree to the betrothal, and trying to betroth his son to Margaret Beaufort without Royal permission-during York’s Protectorship. If Somerset was returning, then that meant the King was either a complete fool or he was trying something else.

Norfolk looked thoughtful when Humphrey looked at him. His brow was furrowed and his hand rested on his chin. “I’m not sure Somerset’s return need be a bad thing.”

“How so?” Humphrey asked, he remembered how the protectorate had gone and he wanted no return to that.

“Well, it could mean that the Council is deadlocked. For instance, Salisbury and York are allied together, I am nominally with them. Lisle and Shrewsbury are opposed to them and Somerset’s return would mean that there is a split, leaving you with the deciding vote. You could become more powerful than the others.” Norfolk commented.

Humphrey snorted. “I do not want power, John.” He was not lying either. The thought of being in charge of the King’s Council filled him with dread. He hated politics, absolutely hated it.

“And that is why I think you’d be best suited for it. You’ve not got a grudge against anyone on the Council or anyone associated with the Council members. Both Somerset and York respect you, and the King definitely does. Think about it. We could finally move away from the tension of the last year toward something more approaching Edward III’s reign than this current madness.” Norfolk said.

Humphrey considered what Norfolk had said. On the one hand, the man was right, they were currently leaning over the edge of chaos, it would only take one small thing to push them over, such as Somerset or Northumberland returning to the Council. And having someone who could balance both sides and present a united policy thought to the King would be nice. But, on the other, Humphrey liked his current position. He was attached to neither side, he was loyal to the Crown alone. If he took charge, that would change, and he’d get broiled in this factional nonsense.

“I will need to think on it.” Was all that he said.

Norfolk laughed. “Don’t take too long thinking about it, Humphrey. The winds are changing. The longer Salisbury keeps his men around, the more likely it becomes that Northumberland will raise his own war band again and then we will have a war.”

Humphrey noted the change in the man’s tone and frowned. “You sound as if you want a war?” Norfolk had been rather wild as a young man, but Humphrey had thought that had changed as he had become a father and grown into his inheritance. Perhaps he had been wrong?

“It is not that I want war, Humphrey.” Norfolk replied. “It is only that I do not like sitting around feeling all this tension and getting nothing in return. If we are to fight, let us fight now.”

“And what of the damage that would do to the Kingdom?” Humphrey demanded. “How many lives would be lost because of it?”

“How many lives do you think will be lost when everything does boil over?” Norfolk shot back. “This is not going to end nicely, regardless of what happens.”

“Then why should I put my neck on the line?” Humphrey demanded. If it was all going to end in war, then there was no point in him even trying.

“Because you are the only person who can stop this from happening.” Norfolk said.

“How?” Humphrey demanded, he didn’t believe Norfolk for a moment, not after what the man had just said.

Norfolk smiled. “You’ll think of something.”

Humphrey laughed. “Well, that’s certainly encouraging. Shall I just find some sort of magical potion to make this all go away?” Norfolk laughed along with him, but Humphrey felt a pall of dread settle over him. Whatever it was people thought of him, the pressure was growing, he would have to act soon.

This is true, though why would the badge be planted on Somerset’s room/bed?
Someone either trying to emphasise the Beaufort right to the throne or criticising Somerset for his being too close to the crown (I.e. Margaret)? Though if it were the latter, you'd be more likely to put a Beaufort emblem - blue and white check, if memory serves, on Marguerite's bed...

VVD0D95

Banned
Someone either trying to emphasise the Beaufort right to the throne or criticising Somerset for his being too close to the crown (I.e. Margaret)? Though if it were the latter, you'd be more likely to put a Beaufort emblem - blue and white check, if memory serves, on Marguerite's bed...
This is very true :)

Well, Mary de Bohun was Henry IV’s wife so that would be a remind to Somerset who he has not the blood of the royal Lancasters

Chapter 44: New Girl

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 44: New Girl

December, 1455

Margaret shifted in her chair. Her dress was mightily uncomfortable, why Mother was making her wear it she didn’t know. Ever since her betrothal to the Duke of York’s son had been confirmed, both Mother and her step-father had started treating her differently. Not better, but differently. New clothes had been ordered, new dresses made, new books bought. It was all somewhat confusing, and Margaret’s governess had changed as well. Gone was the kindly old woman who had taught her before, instead a new woman, a Lady Brandon now taught her. Lady Brandon was cold, harsh and brutal, and Margaret did not like her.

“Margaret.” The woman said sharply. Margaret blinked and found the Lady glaring at her.

“Sorry, Lady Brandon could you repeat that please?” Margaret asked.

“Did you do the reading I had asked of you?” The woman replied.

“About His Highness the Duke of York’s family?” Margaret asked.

“Yes.” The woman said.

“Yes, my lady.” Margaret said.

“And?” The woman asked. “What did you learn?”

“That the Duke of York’s family is complicated.” Margaret said, that was most definitely an understatement. If one of the accounts about the Duke of York’s father was to be believed, the man was illegitimate and thus York himself might not really be that grand a person. Of course, Margaret got the sense that saying such a thing to Lady Brandon would not go down well.

“Complicated how?” The woman asked.

“Well, the Duke of York’s father was attainted and executed for plotting against King Henry’s father. His uncle was suspected of being involved in a plot that would see the Mortimers usurp the throne from King Henry’s father and before that his grandfather. Given the closeness between the two families, some thought it was not unlikely that that would happen. However, the Duke of York’s uncle was loyal to the Crown until the end, dying at Agincourt, and the Duke of York himself has served the Crown loyally.” Margaret said.

“Indeed, this is true, but you remember what I told you?” Lady Brandon asked.

“Yes, my lady.” Margaret replied. “That the actions of one’s ancestors do not determine the actions that one may or may not take. Only the impressions that others may form of you.” She didn’t understand, it seemed completely at odds with what her previous governess had taught her about not judging anyone by their name but by their actions. And yet here she was being told that she must form an impression of York and her betrothed based on what his ancestors had done? How did that make sense?

“Good.” Lady Brandon said. “You are paying attention. Now, do you have any questions?”

“Yes.” Margaret said immediately, then blushed when she realised how quickly she had said that. It wasn’t ladylike to respond with so much enthusiasm.

“Go on.” Lady Brandon commanded.

“I am betrothed to Lord Rutland, but when will we marry, and when might I actually get to meet him? And where is Rutland?” Margaret asked.

“You will as I understand it, be able to marry Lord Rutland when he turns fourteen, in a year and a half’s time. Until then you are to remain here with your Lady Mother, learning all that you need to know about running a household. As for when you will get to meet him, I have been told that you are to attend a feast at the Palace of Westminster in the New Year, where the Earl of Rutland shall also be in attendance, so, I imagine a formal introduction shall be made.” Lady Brandon said.

“I’m going to court?” Margaret asked excitedly. Court sounded exciting, certainly much more so than here, where everything seemed to be same, always.

“Yes, in the New Year.” Lady Brandon said.

“Oh, how exciting!” Margaret said. “Do you think that is why my Lady Mother has been getting so many new dresses made?”

Lady Brandon didn’t answer, instead she focused on something else Margaret had said. “As for where Rutland is, it is in Leicestershire. The Earldom itself encompasses lands in Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.”

“So, will we be living there then?” Margaret asked. She wanted to move somewhere that was far away from here, away from Mother and her Step-Father.

“I imagine you will be moving to Ludlow Castle, to live with Lord Rutland and his brother Lord March.” Lady Brandon replied.

“Why?” Margaret asked.

“Because Lord Rutland is not yet old enough to take command of his Earldom and must thus live within his parental home until he is.” Lady Brandon said.

“What about my lands?” Margaret asked. She knew that her father had left her a considerable inheritance, increasingly Mother and her step-father had been talking about that at meal times.

“I imagine they will be administered by the Duke of York in your name until you are old enough to administer them yourself.” Lady Brandon said.

“Ah.” Margaret replied, at least she’d get to administer them herself. She imagined that if she had come of age without being married, Mother would have kept the lands in her own name.

“Now, then, we are going to be moving onto something new in the next few weeks and I want you to read up on it.” Lady Brandon said.

“Who, or what?” Margaret asked intrigued.

“The Silver Swan and what it signifies.” Lady Brandon said.

“The Silver Swan?” Margaret asked confused.

“Yes.” Lady Brandon said.

“Why?” Margaret asked, wasn’t the Silver Swan the symbol of the Bohun family, and thus also the Royal Family? Why would she need to look up information about it?

It seemed that Lady Brandon did not like her asking that question, for the woman frowned. “Just do as I say, Lady Margaret.”

Margaret bowed her head to show contrition. “Of course, my lady, forgive me.”

“Good, now, I will give you several books to read, and I want you to present your findings to me by this time next week, is that understood?” Lady Brandon asked.

Margaret shifted. Several books in one week? It was doable, Margaret had once read three books in one day, but now with everything going on, she wasn’t sure if she’d be able to do it. Of course, she knew admitting such a thing would be bad, so she merely said. “Yes, my lady.” Lady Brandon smiled in response and a list was given to her.

Chapter 45: Christmas Time

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 45: Christmas Time

December, 1455

The fire burned brightly, and Cecily took a deep breath and relaxed back against the chair. The meal had gone without a hitch. Their children had been well behaved, and even the Holland boy seemed to have liked his gift. All seemed well, but as she opened her eyes and looked at her husband, Cecily frowned. Richard looked uneasy, as if there was some great weight on his shoulders.

“What is it?” She asked.

Richard looked at her and said. “I worry about what the new year will bring.”

“Why?” Cecily asked. As far as she knew, her husband had managed to bring control of the council back in his favour. Norfolk was on their side, Shrewsbury and Lisle were being side lined and Buckingham remained neutral.

“I think the King intends to bring Somerset back.” Richard answered.

“What?!” Cecily exclaimed sitting up then. “Why?”

“Something about Somerset having done his time and how it would not be right to deny him his rightful place in the council.” Richard said.

“Rightful place?” Cecily asked. “What does that mean?”

Richard sighed. “I think the King has started considering Somerset as part of the Royal Family. One of my men reported seeing a servant leave a silver swan badge in Somerset’s rooms a few weeks ago.”

“You mean the Bohun’s sigil?” Cecily asked.

“Yes.” Richard said.

“That could mean anything. Such as that someone considers him not part of the Royal Family, as an insult or any other number of things.” Cecily pointed out.

“Perhaps, but I am not so sure.” Richard said. “We both know that the King and Somerset are close, very close. Indeed, I am surprised the King waited this long before talking about bringing Somerset back.”

Cecily frowned, Somerset’s return would not be good news. If he had the backing of the King who knew what vendettas he might pursue. “What are you going to do?”

“There’s not much I can do, except try and ensure that I have the necessary support on the Council.” Richard replied. “I’ve sent a letter to Warwick asking that he return to London in the New Year, so that the Council might be fairly balanced.”

“Do you think that’s a good idea?” Cecily asked, she was fully aware of why her nephew had been sent to Warwick Castle to begin with and she didn’t think that issue had gone away.

“I think so.” Richard said. “I’ve told him to disband his warband in that same letter also.”

“And will he?” Cecily asked.

“If he has any sense he will.” Richard replied.

Cecily snorted. “You’ve met Warwick have you not? I think he’ll do what he can to keep some of those men around, just in case.” She knew why and she understood, but really if they wanted peace they had to stop this petty fighting.

Richard sighed. “Indeed, especially as Salisbury refuses to dissolve his own warband.”

Cecily groaned. “Does he truly not understand why keeping it around is a bad thing?” Her brother was not a fool, so why could he not see the damage he was doing?

“I think he does, but he considers Northumberland a greater threat than anything else, and given that Northumberland seems to be amassing men again, who knows.” Richard said sounding exhausted.

Cecily frowned, her brother was being a fool, but there was little they could do about it, therefore, she decided to change the topic. “Edward and Edmund are doing very well in their studies.”

Richard visibly perked up then and Cecily smiled, her husband always had liked hearing about how their children were doing, if he couldn’t be there to see them himself. “Oh?”

“Yes, Edward presented a detailed letter on the benefits of King Richard the Lionheart’s reign two days’ ago, whilst Edmund presented a counter letter.” Cecily said.

“And whose argument was better?” Richard asked.

“Edmund’s had more detail in it.” That was an understatement. “But Edward’s got to the point sooner and in a much clearer manner.” Cecily said.

“So, Edward truly does take after you then.” Richard replied grinning.

Cecily laughed. “Only in this one area, in the others, he takes after you.” Their eldest son’s dedication to the sparring yard was becoming a hot topic amongst some of the servants, Cecily knew, especially the female servants. She’d need to speak with Richard about that at another time.

“And what of the others?” Richard asked.

“George and Thomas are doing well in their studies as well, and George has developed a fondness for horse riding.” Cecily said, smiling at a memory of George galloping off to a distant field, leaving his much older brothers behind. “The girls are doing well. Elizabeth and Margaret are getting on much better.” That was a relief given the arguments that had been had between those two before.

“Anne and her husband seem to be getting on better as well.” Richard commented.

“Definitely, which is good. The boy seems to have changed as well.” Cecily commented, remembering how dangerous and terrifying Henry Holland had been as a child.

“Indeed.” Richard said. “All for the good.”

A silence settled between them then as her husband turned to look at the fire, and she kept her eyes on him. His hair was greying, his face was filled lines, he looked much older than his years, and she wondered if being at court was doing him any good. Cecily knew that to suggest he return to their estates would be foolish, but, at the same time, she worried for him. All of this stress couldn’t be good for anyone, let alone a man who had had to fight fires for almost his entire life.

Not for the first time, Cecily silent cursed the King and Somerset. The King for being such a foolish little child, and Somerset for being an idiot. Couldn’t they see that their greatest ally was her husband? That he was the one thing standing between peace and chaos? She sorely hoped that the King would realise this sooner rather than later, otherwise she worried about what the consequences would be.