A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

No, I don’t. Remember her otl statement: “I will become a nun if the king will become a monk.”

but regardless, I think an annulment will be forthcoming with pope clement under the control of Francis rather than Charles v. Or not under the control of anyone lol
Possibly...
To be fair, I haven't decided what to do with Katherine yet. The Barking suggestion was an impulse response. But I do know Henry will have an easier path to his annulment ITTL. Whether Marie approves of his choice of second bride is another question... (Or any later brides, come to that...)

I think she could be content if she knew that Mary's position as a true born daughter was safe. She'll still be disappointed, I think she truly believes Mary is meant to be Queen and rule in her own right and to have that dream taken away will sting for a bit.
I like where you're planning on going with this because most AUs either have Katherine dying or have Henry obtaining a divorce without any support from other monarchs to marry Anne.
This scenario has different political potential and I'm curious to see how it strengthens the French alliance. Does Wolsey get his way with a French Queen?
Not immediately, I don't think. Marguerite's too old (and married) and Margot and Louise are far, far too young... But thank you!

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia: "The abbess of Barking held precedence over all other abbesses in England."

So if Katherine's going to be an Abbess anywhere, it had better be Barking, I think...

If Henry gets a nice easy separation does that mean the Dissolution does not happen?
The Monasteries were heading for a reorganization of sorts before the King's Great Matter came and derailed everything.

If the Annulment happens like I think it will, there will probably be a milder reorganization of the monasteries instead of an all out Dissolution.

If Henry gets a nice easy separation does that mean the Dissolution does not happen?
The Monasteries were heading for a reorganization of sorts before the King's Great Matter came and derailed everything.

If the Annulment happens like I think it will, there will probably be a milder reorganization of the monasteries instead of an all out Dissolution.
Yeah, reform might happen, but an all-out Dissolution probably won't... Not that I am anywhere near writing that yet..

Seeing both Francis and Charles happily married to the most beautiful princesses in Europe (as Charles‘ only plausible reaction to the engagement of the daughters of Francis and Henry is marrying quickly Isabella of Portugal) will likely have a very bad effect on Henry and Catherine will pay for it, with or without Marie’s words

Seeing both Francis and Charles happily married to the most beautiful princesses in Europe (as Charles‘ only plausible reaction to the engagement of the daughters of Francis and Henry is marrying quickly Isabella of Portugal) will likely have a very bad effect on Henry and Catherine will pay for it, with or without Marie’s words
Fortunately for Katherine, Henry will soon have a war to go off and fight in...

Honestly, the quiet of the convent sounds appealing after almost twenty five years of being married to Henry. I'd be out of that marriage the first chance I got.

Somehow I didn't get the notification when the post went up but excellent, I hope Anne has a loving marriage with the Comte de Saint-Pol...

Section XXVI - December 1520
St-Germain-En-Laye, December 1520
The ball to mark Mademoiselle Louise’s baptism is in full swing, dancers shifting in ebbs and flows around the floor as they follow the rhythm of the music.

Marguerite stands on the edge of the merriment, sipping at a goblet of mulled Breton cider and watching the dancers idly. They part like the Red Sea just in time for her to see her brother spin Madame de Foix under his arm, both of them beaming.

She shakes her head at the sight of them, but says nothing. Francoise is Francis’s maitresse-en-titre. It’s far from surprising she should be here, queening it at his side, on an occasion when Marie can’t be. As long as he has learnt his lesson and doesn’t flaunt the minx in front of Marie, then there’s no real harm done.

Marguerite is brought out of her musings by a peal of laughter. Her Petite Boleynette is laughing and playfully shaking her finger at Lord St Pol as she swings away out of his hold.

She smiles at the sight. It’s good to see her little favourite so animated in Monsieur d’ St Pol’s company. Annabelle hasn’t been this bubbly since the English left and took her beloved older siblings away with them again.

“Your Annabelle seems to be blossoming in Monsieur d’ St Pol’s company,” Her mother comes up behind her and voices her very thoughts. Marguerite nods, half-turning towards her mother.

“Hmm. It’s good to see her so happy again.”

“Have you had any thoughts about a match for her yet? She’ll be fourteen in March, after all.”

Bien Sur. I’ll have to ask Francis and Marie for their permission for her to wed, but I’ve given it plenty of thought. And don’t say you haven’t either. You’re the one who pushed them together at Balinghem, after all,” Marguerite glances at her mother, then casts a meaningful look across the floor at Anne and St Pol, who are bowing and curtsying to one another as the song comes to an end.

Louise follows her daughter’s gaze and has to stifle a gasp, “Annabelle and St Pol? Truly? You want to pair a Prince of the Blood with an English child? An English child with no meaningful connections in this country, no less? At least none by blood?”

Marguerite shrugs, “Fran could do worse. Marie’s fond of Annabelle, I’m fond of her. Renee’s fond of her too, so her place at the centre of Court is assured for at least another generation. I’d give her a good dowry, and it’s not like Fran doesn’t have money and titles of his own, for all he’s a second son. He doesn’t need to marry an heiress.”

“This is true…” Louise isn’t convinced, but she can’t quite refute her daughter’s words either. She trails off, and, taking silence for consent, Marguerite puts a hand on her arm.

“Marie’s not going to protest. On the contrary, she’ll be thrilled if Anne marries St Pol. It will mean Sir Thomas can’t order one of her few English companions home. Between us, we should be able to manage my brother, if we need to. Leave it with me, Maman. I’ll arrange everything.”

With that, Marguerite slips away into the crowd, leaving her mother speechless behind her.

Last edited: