A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

Poor Mary- that was a genuinely sad moment. Alexander’s grief is real here.

If he has any sense he and Nora will wait more than six months for the fallout to settle before marriage.

Welcome to the world Mary Katherine. Live long and well.

I second the idea of a Chapel that straddles the border to honour Mary.

Perhaps if you were nicer to her she would not have had to have had another children to beat you and would still be alive
1. Louise has no kids. I don’t think her marriage was even consummated yet, so even without this ultimately fatal pregnancy, Mary still had the upper hand. 2. Sure, Louise was mean to Mary, but Alexander is the one who impregnated her knowing full well what would happen.

Last edited:
Poor Mary- that was a genuinely sad moment. Alexander’s grief is real here.

If he has any sense he and Nora will wait more than six months for the fallout to settle before marriage.

Welcome to the world Mary Katherine. Live long and well.

I love the idea of that Chapel too...

Maybe even name it for Saint Mary, knowing they're all really naming it after Princess Mary, Duchess of Ross...

1. Louise has no kids. I don’t think her marriage was even consummated yet, so even without this ultimately fatal pregnancy, Mary still had the upper hand. 2. Sure, Louise was mean to Mary, but Alexander is the one who impregnated her knowing full well what would happen.
Yes, but the writing implies that it was a deliberate choice of Mary to sleep with him again and have another to outshine Louise.

Could Henry and Scotland come together to build a church that is half in Scotland and half in England with Mary buried in the middle, so she's buried in both countries.
Okay, so I genuinely love this... And since I *want* Sawney and Nora in England over Christmas 1536 anyway... I might just be able to kill two birds with one stone. It doesn't even have to be Henry who sponsors it. Meg Douglas is Countess of Surrey, remember? I'm sure she could help her brother honour their sister-cousin.

Consummated yes, now that Louise is fifteen, but she's not pregnant yet.
I love the idea of that Chapel too...

Maybe even name it for Saint Mary, knowing they're all really naming it after Princess Mary, Duchess of Ross...
Okay, I'll see what I can do!
Yes, but the writing implies that it was a deliberate choice of Mary to sleep with him again and have another to outshine Louise.
A deliberately made choice yes, but not necessarily to outshine Louise...

Although Mary did flaunt her second pregnancy once it had happened, she and Alexander chose to try for another child primarily to secure Scotland, not to one-up James and Louise.

Okay, so I genuinely love this... And since I *want* Sawney and Nora in England over Christmas 1536 anyway... I might just be able to kill two birds with one stone. It doesn't even have to be Henry who sponsors it. Meg Douglas is Countess of Surrey, remember? I'm sure she could help her brother honour their sister-cousin.
Yes, but Henry would look genuinely bad if he didn't do something for his daughter. This could be something he does.

Yes, but Henry would look genuinely bad if he didn't do something for his daughter. This could be something he does.
True. Or maybe he does his own thing. Chivalry orders were already a thing, right? What about creating a new one in Mary's honour?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the chapel, but I want that to be an Alexander-Meg thing, so Henry might have to have something else...

True. Or maybe he does his own thing. Chivalry orders were already a thing, right? What about creating a new one in Mary's honour?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the chapel, but I want that to be an Alexander-Meg thing, so Henry might have to have something else...
Sure, Henry can do something else. As long as he does something.

The chapel is a very nice idea! Henry doing something nice for his daughter would be great, both out of his genuine love and care and also for PR. Maybe Catherine de Medici could also make a donation or pilgrimage at some point?

The chapel is a very nice idea! Henry doing something nice for his daughter would be great, both out of his genuine love and care and also for PR. Maybe Catherine de Medici could also make a donation or pilgrimage at some point?
As I've said before, OTL Catherine De Medici was a very astute political player. I could see her doing this...

Oh this chapter was a tearjerker... Very well done! Poor Mary... I’m going to miss her dearly. I’m also in agreement that the idea of the chapel sounds lovely.

Well, yes, true...
Which is very frustrating, because you've all inspired me and now all I want to write is Christmas 1536 onwards, rather than the autumn. Damn you all!! 😉
Oh this chapter was a tearjerker... Very well done! Poor Mary... I’m going to miss her dearly. I’m also in agreement that the idea of the chapel sounds lovely.
Thanks. I'm glad I got it right. And yes, the chapel, or something like it, is definitely happening.

Section CXXXIII: May 1536
Dingwall, May 1536

He finds Nora in the nursery. She’s standing by the window, Mary Katherine in her arms. There is a poker of tension running through her spine, and, though she turns at Alexander’s footstep, she doesn’t seem to see him, not even as he takes his new daughter from her arms and hands the child to the wet nurse, kissing the tiny forehead absently as he does so.

“She’s blonde. Like her mother.”

The words are broken, tremulous, and Alexander doesn’t try to respond, only nods. He knows Nora doesn’t really expect an answer. He places his hands on Nora’s upper arms, anchoring her in place as he whispers the expected, dreaded words.

“She’s gone. Nora, I’m really sorry, but she’s gone.”

A sharp intake of breath is the only response he gets. He is about to repeat himself, fearing Nora hasn’t heard him properly, when she looks up at him, wild-eyed.

“Tell me you were with her. Please tell me you were with her!”

“I was with her,” he confirms gently, rubbing circles on Nora’s biceps with his thumbs, “I was with her. We named Mary Katherine together. She died in my arms. She wasn’t on her own, I promise.”

A smidgen of Nora’s tension eases at that, but she says no more.

Alexander wants to let her be, to let her work through this terrible, aching tragedy in her own time, but he can’t restrain himself. He has to know.

“She said she’d asked you to take her place as my Duchess. To be Bobby and Maggie and Mary Katherine’s mother. I’m sorry to bring it up right now, but I have to know. Is it…?”

“Years ago,” Nora interrupts him hollowly, “She sat across from me in the nursery in Holyrood, the day after we met Louise for the first time, and asked me. I couldn’t say no. Not - Not to our darling Mary. I loved her. She was my sister. I…”

Nora’s voice breaks, and Alexander acts on instinct. He steps forward and pulls Nora into his chest.

There are gasps from the maids around them, but he ignores them. Propriety be damned! Mary is dead! This is hardly the time to worry about protocol.

“I know,” he hushes, pushing his fingers under Nora’s hood so that he can wind them into her blonde curls, anchoring them both, “I know how close you were. I loved her too. I loved her too.”

His words are what finally break through Nora’s defences. Her arms fly round his waist and she clings to him, desperate keening sobs juddering through her.

Alexander has no words to offer her. No comfort. After all, he’s just as shaken by their loss as she is.

All he can do – what he does – is hold her and cry with her.

Thornbury, May 1536

“Forgive me, Your Highness, but there is grave news from Edinburgh. Her Highness the Duchess of Ross is dead. She died last week, birthing a daughter the Duke has named Mary Katherine in both your honour and hers.”

The words strike Katherine like arrows. Her first instinct is to deny them, to cry that they cannot be true. Mary can’t be dead. By the Virgin, her darling girl is only twenty, and she’s hardly been sick a day in her life. She can’t be dead!

But when she looks over the kneeling messenger’s head to the woman standing behind him, she knows it is no lie. Maria de Salinas, Dowager Baroness Willoughby, wouldn’t leave her duties at Hundson without due warning, not unless there was a dire emergency at hand.

“Maria…” She whispers the name like a talisman, hardly knowing whether it is her daughter or her oldest friend she is calling to.

The other woman curtsies, her greying hair falling forward into her face as she dips her head.

“Catalina. I am so, so sorry.”

It is the sound of her native Castilian that finally dispels Katherine of her last, lingering doubts as to the veracity of the news. She almost buckles under the horror of it. Only her Trastamara pride keeps her upright.

Her first thought is that she must go to Scotland. Mary is only twenty. She’s too young to be buried in foreign soil, without even one of her parents present.

But when she opens her mouth to order her household to prepare, the words won’t come. She can’t bring herself to say the words.

She falls to her knees with a strangled gasp, hand clutching her chest.

“Catalina!”

Maria is there in an instant, supporting her, waving the messenger and the rest of Katherine’s twittering ladies away, so that the two of them can kneel, quite alone, in the middle of the solar.

They say that, in times of great peril, one’s life flashes before one’s eyes.

For Katherine, in these bitterly dark moments, it is Mary who flashes before her eyes.

Mary, all of four days old, kicking and gurgling merrily as the then Lady Surrey places her in Katherine’s arms after her baptism into the light of Christ.

Mary, wide-eyed and solemn at six, listening carefully as Katherine explains that she and Henry are no longer married, but rather brother and sister, and that Mary and her companions will have to learn to honour Lady Mary Talbot as Henry’s wife and Queen.

Mary, twelve years old and giddy with excitement because her father has deemed her old enough to attend her first Twelfth Night revel and promised that she may open the dancing with him.

Mary, radiant in rose-pink alexander and cloth-of-silver as she says her wedding vows, her smile bright enough to light up all of England, her beautiful poise filling Katherine with pride.

Minutes may pass, or it may be hours. Katherine has no idea. All she knows is that, eventually, she slumps sideways against Maria and sinks into the blessed peace of oblivion.

Dingwall, May 1536

He finds Nora in the nursery. She’s standing by the window, Mary Katherine in her arms. There is a poker of tension running through her spine, and, though she turns at Alexander’s footstep, she doesn’t seem to see him, not even as he takes his new daughter from her arms and hands the child to the wet nurse, kissing the tiny forehead absently as he does so.

“She’s blonde. Like her mother.”

The words are broken, tremulous, and Alexander doesn’t try to respond, only nods. He knows Nora doesn’t really expect an answer. He places his hands on Nora’s upper arms, anchoring her in place as he whispers the expected, dreaded words.

“She’s gone. Nora, I’m really sorry, but she’s gone.”

A sharp intake of breath is the only response he gets. He is about to repeat himself, fearing Nora hasn’t heard him properly, when she looks up at him, wild-eyed.

“Tell me you were with her. Please tell me you were with her!”

“I was with her,” he confirms gently, rubbing circles on Nora’s biceps with his thumbs, “I was with her. We named Mary Katherine together. She died in my arms. She wasn’t on her own, I promise.”

A smidgen of Nora’s tension eases at that, but she says no more.

Alexander wants to let her be, to let her work through this terrible, aching tragedy in her own time, but he can’t restrain himself. He has to know.

“She said she’d asked you to take her place as my Duchess. To be Bobby and Maggie and Mary Katherine’s mother. I’m sorry to bring it up right now, but I have to know. Is it…?”

“Years ago,” Nora interrupts him hollowly, “She sat across from me in the nursery in Holyrood, the day after we met Louise for the first time, and asked me. I couldn’t say no. Not - Not to our darling Mary. I loved her. She was my sister. I…”

Nora’s voice breaks, and Alexander acts on instinct. He steps forward and pulls Nora into his chest.

There are gasps from the maids around them, but he ignores them. Propriety be damned! Mary is dead! This is hardly the time to worry about protocol.

“I know,” he hushes, pushing his fingers under Nora’s hood so that he can wind them into her blonde curls, anchoring them both, “I know how close you were. I loved her too. I loved her too.”

His words are what finally break through Nora’s defences. Her arms fly round his waist and she clings to him, desperate keening sobs juddering through her.

Alexander has no words to offer her. No comfort. After all, he’s just as shaken by their loss as she is.

All he can do – what he does – is hold her and cry with her.

Thornbury, May 1536

“Forgive me, Your Highness, but there is grave news from Edinburgh. Her Highness the Duchess of Ross is dead. She died last week, birthing a daughter the Duke has named Mary Katherine in both your honour and hers.”

The words strike Katherine like arrows. Her first instinct is to deny them, to cry that they cannot be true. Mary can’t be dead. By the Virgin, her darling girl is only twenty, and she’s hardly been sick a day in her life. She can’t be dead!

But when she looks over the kneeling messenger’s head to the woman standing behind him, she knows it is no lie. Maria de Salinas, Dowager Baroness Willoughby, wouldn’t leave her duties at Hundson without due warning, not unless there was a dire emergency at hand.

“Maria…” She whispers the name like a talisman, hardly knowing whether it is her daughter or her oldest friend she is calling to.

The other woman curtsies, her greying hair falling forward into her face as she dips her head.

“Catalina. I am so, so sorry.”

It is the sound of her native Castilian that finally dispels Katherine of her last, lingering doubts as to the veracity of the news. She almost buckles under the horror of it. Only her Trastamara pride keeps her upright.

Her first thought is that she must go to Scotland. Mary is only twenty. She’s too young to be buried in foreign soil, without even one of her parents present.

But when she opens her mouth to order her household to prepare, the words won’t come. She can’t bring herself to say the words.

She falls to her knees with a strangled gasp, hand clutching her chest.

“Catalina!”

Maria is there in an instant, supporting her, waving the messenger and the rest of Katherine’s twittering ladies away, so that the two of them can kneel, quite alone, in the middle of the solar.

They say that, in times of great peril, one’s life flashes before one’s eyes.

For Katherine, in these bitterly dark moments, it is Mary who flashes before her eyes.

Mary, all of four days old, kicking and gurgling merrily as the then Lady Surrey places her in Katherine’s arms after her baptism into the light of Christ.

Mary, wide-eyed and solemn at six, listening carefully as Katherine explains that she and Henry are no longer married, but rather brother and sister, and that Mary and her companions will have to learn to honour Lady Mary Talbot as Henry’s wife and Queen.

Mary, twelve years old and giddy with excitement because her father has deemed her old enough to attend her first Twelfth Night revel and promised that she may open the dancing with him.

Mary, radiant in rose-pink alexander and cloth-of-silver as she says her wedding vows, her smile bright enough to light up all of England, her beautiful poise filling Katherine with pride.

Minutes may pass, or it may be hours. Katherine has no idea. All she knows is that, eventually, she slumps sideways against Maria and sinks into the blessed peace of oblivion.
Oh, poor Catherine. I hope this doesn't finish her off.