Yeah, I just like to take breaks now and then, as well as think about other ideas for this TL. A new update will come out sooner or later; I'm just trying to think how to organize this TL.
At least thanks for the info the TL is still alive at least.

Winter 1997 - A fantastical bond
Sega and Bandai in talks for potential Merger
As sourced by Imagine Games Network (IGN)
Recently Today on Janurary 23rd, Japanese media company Sega Enterprises has confirmed that they are currently in talks for a potential merger with Japanese toy company Bandai Co., Ltd. Via a stock-swap agreement. The merger, if it were to go through would reorganize the two companies into a singular media titan named "Sega Bandai Ltd." worth approximately $5.6 billion or more adjusting for inflation and current monetary studies [1]. Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske has stated his thoughts about the news; "I'm about as excited for the merger as everyone else is at Sega, however it's worth noting that it's still a work in progress and we're not absolutely sure if the deal will truly come to pass. Needless to say, I'm very much confident for the future of our two companies." Assuming that the deal does not end up collapsing, the merger should be complete by October 1st of this year. In the meantime, we at IGN will continue to report on any new information regarding the deal.

Besides the obvious news above, January was rather short of prominent titles released, especially compared to the month afterwards. The only major title released then was Blizzard's Diablo which, while successful both critically and commercially, was only available on the PC at launch. February, on the other hand, was a more expansive month in terms of releases, particularly on the UNES. In February, the UNES saw the release of Mario Kart 3D (the Second Mario Kart game in the new spinoff series), Blast Corps (a vehicular-based game developed by RareWare) and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (an FPS title developed by Acclaim based on the comic book character of the same name). In addition, February 7th saw the Japanese launch of Squaresoft's Final Fantasy VII, the newest (and set to be the most successful by far) entry in Square's Final Fantasy RPG series, set in a fantastical, Sci-fi based dystopia where the game's protagonist, Cloud Strife, must defeat the tyrannical Shinra Coorperation and the danger they pose to the planet of Gaia. As mentioned, the game was very successful in Japan, but whether or not it could grasp an audience in the west, if it even releases there, remains to be seen.

As far as other releases go, Capcom's Megaman 8, the newest entry in the original Megaman Saga, was released in the tale end of February, but only on the Playstation and Sega Saturn, leaving players questioning if Capcom were to release any games on the UNES, let alone ones based on Megaman. In addition, a sequel to Blizzard's Lost Vikings was released on the SNES in Europe and a game based on the movie Independence Day was released on the Playstation, Saturn, and PC.

[1] the majority of this information I gathered from cnet's report on the deal and is very much OTL. We'll see if the merger actually does make it or not.

Last edited:
[2] Prior to FFVII's release, the Final Fantasy series struggled in the west as during that time, the JRPG genre as a whole was alot more niche in the west then than it is now. FFVII's North American release was when luck started to turn towards the franchise. It's likely that it will remain the same as OTL with the franchise remaining within Nintendo's grasp.
Etto..FF sold, even better all his competitors in snes. if anything was installbase helped it, but FF was selling better and better in the west
RPG SALES, 4 TO SEVENTH GEN.png

You could even argue, before the otaku boom of the new 10's, was the only RPG sold at all

In which case, should I change or remove that?
Remove the footnote, keep the article as is it them, as they wonder in universe when would be release and how popular is being, that is being vague, in universe, just remove the footnote

As far as other releases go, Capcom's Megaman 8, the newest entry in the original Megaman Saga, was released in the tale end of February, but only on the Playstation and Sega Saturn, leaving players questioning if Capcom were to release any games on the UNES, let alone ones based on Megaman.
So what does it mean for Capcom and even Mega Man?

So what does it mean for Capcom and even Mega Man?
The Megaman 8 release is essentially OTL. I wasn't sure if Capcom would release a 32-bit side scroller like MM8 on a 64-bit system like the N64/UNES so I pretty much just left it like that. I said this just to note that Capcom has not released any games on the UNES so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be releasing any games on it at all. I probably should've made that more clear.

The Megaman 8 release is essentially OTL. I wasn't sure if Capcom would release a 32-bit side scroller like MM8 on a 64-bit system like the N64/UNES so I pretty much just left it like that. I said this just to note that Capcom has not released any games on the UNES so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be releasing any games on it at all. I probably should've made that more clear.
Ok, so...3D Mega Man Game on N64/UNES?

Ok, so...3D Mega Man Game on N64/UNES?
OTL Legend Happened because Sony demanded a 3D Game for megaman as they thought 2D was passe(that was bernie stolar btw), here if sony don't want 2D games, Nintendo could took them, X4 could be Ultra Exclusive.(and both legends games sucked anyway)

OTL Legend Happened because Sony demanded a 3D Game for megaman as they thought 2D was passe(that was bernie stolar btw), here if sony don't want 2D games, Nintendo could took them, X4 could be Ultra Exclusive.(and both legends games sucked anyway)
I actually did not know that. In which case, I think you just gave me an idea.

I actually did not know that. In which case, I think you just gave me an idea.
That is something people forgot, Legends didn't happened in a vaccum, was because legends than Sony allowed 8 and X4 to be published at all...if anything nice i give you ideas buddy

Hey connorCD, are there going to be any more updates for this thread?
I've been thinking about either starting back with a new chapter or rebooting it altogether. I'm particularly partial to the latter as that could help fix some problems that this one had, but in the meantime, I'm still uncertain.

I've been thinking about either starting back with a new chapter or rebooting it altogether. I'm particularly partial to the latter as that could help fix some problems that this one had, but in the meantime, I'm still uncertain.
Either one would be nice, at least you didn't fully abandoned it buddy

Warning
On December 12th of the same year, 13 days until Christmas, Sonic X was finally released in the United States and then in Japan on January 20th in 1997 on the Sega Saturn. The story followed Sonic having to collect pieces of the Master Emerald before Doctor Eggman does after the aforementioned doctor accidentally (though whether or not it actually was accidental or intentional was a frequent discussion point for fans) shattered it during a duel, causing their reality to become distorted in the process. The game features 15 levels, with three acts per level (much akin to the classic Sonic formula), all of which played through a bird's eye view. Some are distored and scattered versions of classic Sonic levels such as Green Hill Zone while others are new areas exclusive to the game, such as Geno-City Zone (a revised version of a removed level from Sonic 2, Genocide City). after the previous 15 zones, Sonic must fight and defeat Doctor Eggman, who carries the last Master Emerald Shard, with everything going back to normal after succeeding in doing so. While the game has received some level of criticism regarding things such as the bird's eye viewpoint (which reportedly caused some players to experience motion sickness) as well as debating whether or not it should truly count as "3D" or not, the game was still a commercial and financial success, especially coming Christmas morning.
Was TTL’s Sonic X developed by STI or by SoJ?