A Man is Finished When He Quits - The Presidency of Richard M. Nixon (Redux)

Just read this through and it's proven to be a really good timeline. Fascinating to see how Nixon could have done had he been elected in 1960 instead of afterwards and how it's effecting the Cold War. Great stuff all round.

Very interesting and indepth timeline.

I'm wondering if we'll see the Reverend George Wallace down the line.
Too early to say right at the moment, his "born again" side I've always thought was more of a result from his paralysis and trying to roll back his political mask he had worn for close to 20 years. With how things have gone, we may get an unrecognizable Wallace.

Very good updates!

Damn. This Wallace should be interesting.

I like where this is going, what with Governor DeGraffenried and all

Just finished reading this - it is amazing!

I just want to thank everyone for the good words of support and letting me know that there are people who are enjoying this. Without you guys we wouldn't have gotten this far, so thank you all. My semester finals are kicking in so it may be a few weeks until the next update, i'm not sure right now.

I have it in my head that I want to reach 1964 by Nixon's birthday (January 9th), so while I probably won't meet that deadline I am going to try.

I have an update everyone, However, it will be for this timeline's spinoff detailing in popular culture. There will be a retcon within this update regarding Marilyn Monroe. Sorry for the absence so far of an update proper, I'm kind of stuck creatively but I'm hoping that work on the spinoff will get my gears moving smoothly again.

Don't be afraid if parts of old updates disappear, as I will be removing the pop culture elements from this thread as they will be covered in the spinoff.

I just wanted everyone to know that I will begin updating the timeline again once the 2017 Turtledoves come to a close and I can refocus the efforts

The Nixon Doctrine is Born / We Should Have Listened

March: The Nixon Doctrine is Born

6526215_f520_zpsrg6jc18v.jpg

Ambassador Kissinger working in his office in Saigon - 1963

Conversation between President Nixon and Ambassador to South Vietnam Henry Kissenger; March 9th 1963:

Kissinger: Hello, Mr. President

Nixon: Hello Henry, how’s Saigon treating you?

Kissinger: Its treating me well, the children they love it.

Nixon: Oh you brought the kids over? Good, good, how long are they staying?

Kissinger: Just for the week, they’d never been here before.

Nixon: I’m sure that our guys and theirs have been making sure everything is secured for them? Are they enjoying it?

Kissinger: Oh yes. Yes.

Nixon: How’s the atmosphere over there? Politically?

Kissinger: Saigon, has been quiet. When I first arrived it was still tense with the military up and making patrols, but things have gone… uh… to what I would describe as normal, feeling normal.

Nixon: Well that’s good.. I read in my.. my morning briefing that..uh.. you had met with the leadership for the most recent updates how did that go?

Kissinger: Yes, I met with President Thơ yesterday, and I have to say that I am impressed with his ability to work alongside Minh and the others.

Nixon: I don’t think we could have found a better guy, or lucked out with a better person ready take leadership rather. He’s the only one… uh… I think that could have taken that situation and recovered it the way he did… of course he’s had a lot of help. Let’s just hope that he keeps up the good work, and I trust and faith that you’ll help keep everything in line when it’s needed.

Kissinger: Thank you sir. We are having a recurring problem however.

Nixon: And what would that be?

Kissinger: The Vietnamese have been defeated in several engagements and there has been a rise in ambushes and similar…

Nixon: Is that something we need to be concerned about? I don’t want the enemy gaining a foothold or getting the locals on their side.

Kissinger: I do not believe so at this time Mr. President. But I do believe that we could further ensure security if we take measures sooner rather than later. With your permission…

Nixon: What kind of measures?

Kissinger: For instance, Mr. President a large percentage of these engagements…

Nixon: The ones you mentioned earlier?

Kissinger: Yes sir. Within these engagements, we are seeing the communist forces utilizing cover provided by the wilderness in staging their attacks…

Nixon: Mhmm. Same as the Cubans.

Kissinger: I believe the best way to combat this would be herbicidal warfare.

Nixon: Taking a page out of the British handbook aren’t you Henry?

Kissinger: Yes, sir. I believe that if we were to supply the Vietnamese with herbicides and proper delivery methods that we should be able to take this advantage away…

Nixon: Henry... *sighs*… If we were talking about an island the size Hawaii, I’d sign off on an idea like this… or hell, if we had men over there to do the job and do it right I wouldn’t be so opposed to it…. But, in all seriousness I don’t trust the Vietnamese with an operation of that magnitude and I’m not convinced at this time that the situation is-is… severe enough to warrant any additional involvement.

Kissinger: Mr. President I understand your apprehensions but I must say that I believe it would help the Vietnamese in their fight.

Nixon: Those boys over there are fighting on their turf. Now, I’ve already set a cap on our number of advisers that I would allow to be involved in Vietnam. I can’t see a way around raising that and not giving away the fact we think we’re losing to the communists. So, what we’re going to have to do, is keep the Vietnamese supplied with arms, and political stability. With those two things, I have a hard time seeing us losing this battle, at least with how things are now. We’ve gained ground with the inhabitants of some contested regions by simply allowing them to go about their daily lives.

Kissinger: If we allow the communists to gain any ground though the situation could turn quickly out of our favor. The Vietnamese have seen centuries of infighting.

Nixon: But Henry, its abundantly clear… that they have also sought to shake off outside influence whenever possible. And the French blundering and subjugating the place has only stirred it up more and more. Direct American involvement will do nothing, if not make sure that the Vietnamese turn against the South and any government seemingly propped up by us.

Kissinger: Okay, Mr. President.

Nixon: Don’t think I don’t value your opinion, I just...

Kissinger: No, Mr. President I’m aware, it was just a suggestion and possible route, of course its not the only solution. And its your decision.

Nixon: And if the situation turns, I will keep this suggestion on the books as a possibility. One thing…Henry… that I wanted to talk to you about, about over there… is that I’ve been reading on the history of Vietnam… Its very fascinating, and I see some parallels with ourselves in some regards, but anyways! *small laugh* uh… I believe that some sort of statement… of support from our government to theirs… and announcing that we believe in their right of self-determination could gain us major leeway in winning over even some of the communists and having them cross the divide.

Kissinger: Should I begin preparing statements regarding it, Mr. President? Is this announcement… how are you planning on delivering it?

Nixon: With Cuba just now settling down, I think its time this Administration make it clear to the world that we’re not running around and toppling governments on whims. But especially with Vietnam, we have to make it abundantly clear we’re not trying to impose our government on them. We need to, and make it look like, we’re on their side for their independence. We’re not going to get that done by deploying troops in that situation, it’ll do the opposite. These people, they’re more skittish than we are, hell more so than the Cubans.

Kissinger: It could be risky, also making it clear we’re not intending on sending forces there. It may inspire the Soviets to push harder. Maybe even the Vietnamese Communists to be emboldened.

Nixon: Well of course I’m not going to spell that out, and it’ll be clear that we view Vietnam as an ally. Any invasion or major interference from any nation will involve repercussions no side will want. I believe that not pushing them to fight back is the best approach for now.

Kissinger: Yes sir, Mr. President.

Nixon: Well Henry, I’ll let you get back to your children, sorry for keeping you so long.

Kissinger: No problem at all sir.

Nixon: Okay, Goodbye.

*End Conversation*

The Jungle Fog

9d8c5489-43a2-4564-b2a8-b585a450ecd7_zps6yofcgmh.jpg

An AVRN Soldier stands nearby artillery which had recently fired chemical weapons. -1963 (declassified 1981)

In late December, 1962, South Vietnamese forces engaged the Viet Cong in the Mekong Delta for what amounted to the first major confrontation of any measurable quantity between the two entities. Caught off guard and lacking proper organization, South Vietnamese forces were quickly overwhelmed despite their large numerical superiority and failed to prevent Viet Cong forces from leaving the battlefield. The South Vietnamese Military Junta, still headed by General Minh, were deeply troubled by this vicious loss and immediately began considering what the propaganda implications of a Viet Cong victory would be. To avoid the national embarrassment, at a time when the new government was still fresh and fragile, the battle was vehemently denied by the Military Junta. Vietnam then remained mostly quiet save for a few skirmishes until March. It was then that all over the South skirmishes reached an all-time high in the number of engagements and the Military Junta and officers noticed with baited breath. Minh put Military Order 102 into action on March 14th to level the field against the guerilla insurgency; giving the Army of South Vietnam the clearance to liberally deploy chemical weapons against the Viet Cong.

South Vietnamese troops were soon provided with chlorine, phosgene gas and other similar chemical weapons of war to aid in the fight. While many delivery methods were used, one such weapon is still shrouded in debate with just how the South Vietnamese obtained them. The weapons in question were those of the M26 Gas Rocket that contained cyanogen chloride (CK) which was known to bypass some gas mask systems. These rockets had been designed and stockpiled during the Second World War and while it is unclear just how South Vietnam came into possession of a large amount of surplus chemical weapons produced in the United States, it is openly assumed that the CIA supplied them. No paper trail has ever been found but the presence of these weapons show that the deal occurred at some point after the coup and before March of 1963. These chemical weapons, including M26 rockets, were used against Viet Cong forces and achieved horrifyingly effective results against the ill-prepared insurgency. The most common strategy of deployment was to gas the jungle areas that the Viet Cong utilized for cover. The gases would either eliminate the threat or force them out of cover and into the awaiting gun lines.

Such usage however did contain its shortfalls, as General Minh’s Order 102 specifically forbade the usage around large civilian areas. Therefore, in the event that a city was to become a battlefield, this method (at least at this specified point in the conflict) would be unavailable. South Vietnam’s usage of chemical weapons continued for several weeks before claims were made by the Soviet Union that chemical weapons had been utilized. What resulted was close to a month of intense debate between the Soviet Ambassador to the United Nations and US Ambassador Harold Stassen, at which point the argument eventually ran out of steam. Following this, the usage in Vietnam toned down, but continued nevertheless.

“We Should Have Listened” – The Birth of the Nixon Doctrine

Excerpt from Richard Nixon’s Address to the People of Vietnam

“On the outset of the First World War, nations at the helm of peace proclaimed that this victory had been achieved in the name of self-determination. Yet, leaders meeting in Versailles ignored to the point of condemnation any calls for the following through of promised reform or access to the progressive ladder of seeking self-determination for the people of Vietnam. With hindsight I for one find it very clear that we should have listened then. We should have met with one another then. For Wilson’s, and the others’, refusal to do so has seen many a potential friend and ally pushed toward and into the grasp of the men behind the Iron Curtain. I want it to be clear to the people of Vietnam that the United States does not seek to control your destinies, in fact we seek the very opposite. We wish to see that the long-sought self-determination that was promised to you. Destined for you. Finally reaches you. The time has come for the people of South Vietnam to be and remain free. And that freedom should not be at the cost of folding into a totalitarian regime seeking to spread an evil such as communism. That is why we are involved. We are involved to give you the means to your freedom. To supply for you the fuel to power your fight for true independence. As the vast majority of the people of Vietnam know, the Trung Sisters fought for the freedom of Vietnam and gave their lives for that cause. Now Vietnam is under a similar siege from another domineering power to your North. We are on your side of this fight, and we will give you the means, but it is a fight that must be fought by those with the most to gain and to lose. Vietnam is a place of vast history, and in that history the one thing that has always reigned true is the constant fight for your freedom. Now, that freedom is at hand. And we are not going to let any nation big or small deprive you of that right. Thank you.” – President of the United States Richard M. Nixon

Nixon’s address to the people of Vietnam was never broadcast over any airwaves or recorded, but instead translated into the 3 Vietnamese dialects and printed for dispersal throughout the cities of Southern Vietnam. The address flew under the radar for the most part in the United States and was only mentioned a few times in news interviews and press conferences. What did come from the address in more of a lasting role in the American mindset was the thoughts expressed in the address to the Vietnamese made up the backbone of what would be coined as ‘The Nixon Doctrine’. In short, ‘The Nixon Doctrine’ would call for America’s allies to maintain their own protection and supply the men in which to do so. In return, if needed, the United States would aid in the realms of supplies, arms, and advisers. In the darkest of cases, the United States would also incorporate every one of her allies under a nuclear umbrella to protect them from Soviet aggressions. The main goal of the ‘The Nixon Doctrine’ was to inspire freedom and independence abroad without the use of ground troops and warfare where it could be avoided. In as far as the Administration was concerned, Vietnam would be the first battle-tested case for the Nixon Doctrine and it would spell whether or not the Administration would continue to strongly adhere to it. Because of this, many would also refer to this policy as the ‘Vietnam Doctrine’

Compound_ARVNOfficerandContingent2_OP_zpsdl3gb8rs.jpg

Those willing to fight for Vietnam rose ever so slightly after the Nixon Address was dispersed. - 1963

Last edited:
I've got to say SargeantHawk that you've got quite the great timeline here. In my opinion Richard Nixon is probably the most misunderstood President as the guy had plenty of great ideals and accomplished much in his presidency in both fields of domestic and foreign affairs. Had Watergate never happened then the guy would've been hailed as one of the alltime greats in American history. Your timeline just goes to show how some self-confidence, inheriting a nation under a slightly better situation, and the state of no Vietnam can lead to a very successful Nixon presidency. So far the guy has done great by liberating Cuba, keeping us the hell away from Vietnam, launching the Space Race, and starting the path to civil rights. Here's to the 1964 elections and 8 years of Dick!

By the way I nominated this timeline for a Turtledove. I don't know if it's due to the low coverage with you managing the affair, but you obviously should've been nominated from the very start. Looking forward to how Nixon gets Civil Rights implemented.

P.S Please put threadmarks on the page.

Thank you very much for the nomination! That means a massive amount to me, and heres hoping it gets seconded!

Threadmarks are really something i should have put in by now, so thanks for the pointer

Theyre essentially marking the chapters or important posts in the thread. And then providing a glossary of those at the very beginning.

And yes, its been posted albiet its still in the early stages. Its titled "Applauded Today, Forgotten Tomorrow."

XC%20Marine%201%20XC-142_zps3w2xiuf2.png

A little something dealing with topics from the next update and a glimpse into TTL future. wanted to share the photoshopped paint scheme.

Progression in the Era of Progress

Progression in the Era of Progress

On August 1st 1961, President Nixon spoke of an “Era of Progress” and set the goal of placing a man on the moon by the end of the decade; but, the speech did much more than that. It provided the summation of what the Nixon Administration’s domestic agenda sought to achieve. The Era of Progress promised that if the agenda proved successful it would go down in history as a period of peak American success and dominance. What was worrying even the most ardent Nixon supporter was that the Era of Progress had until 1963 crept forward only a few inches. That would soon change.

Nixon now proceeded headlong into the second half of his first term. The progress wanted in the realms of Civil Rights and the reduction of organized crime was further behind than anyone would have preferred. In the areas of space, the Soviets had caught up to and surpassed NASA’s achievements. Alan Shepard’s flight had rocketed morale by slipping the grasp of Earth and sending the first man into space (to any public knowledge) and John Glenn’s orbital flight had put America back on level ground at the time. Now, despite NASA’s best efforts, America was again behind in the race. Gordon Cooper’s Mercury flight in Faith 7 on January 31st had been completely overshadowed by the fallout of the Turkish Missile Crisis and had fallen entirely short of overtaking the Soviet record for longest flight duration. Vostok 4 in September 1962 had set the current duration record of 3 days, 3 hours and 17 minutes; additionally, its concurrent flight with Vostok 5 marked the first ship to ship communication and simultaneous flight of two spacecraft. NASA’s shortcoming in this category of achievement fell upon both the Mercury capsule and the hesitance toward unnecessary risks had by the heads of NASA.

Forged partially from pressure applied from the top, NASA’s Project Gemini was designed to not only again catch-up to the Soviets but to surpass them beyond any stretch of the imagination. Gemini (as it would come to be called) had been in the planning stages since 1961 as a successor to the Mercury Program and the project as a whole would drive America toward and onto the moon. Since its reveal to the public in March of 1962, it had progressed in the shadow of the media focus on the Mercury Program and now with its conclusion, Gemini would be brought to the forefront. The program would be a decade long endeavor that would take the Gemini capsule into several different variations and purposes. It would serve to perform a spacewalk, rendezvous, lunar flyby and eventually it would land on the surface of the moon. However, no Gemini flights would be ready to leave the ground until January of 1964 and a moon mission was out of the question until at least late 1967 at the most liberal calculation. The best news until then would be the early completion of the National Air and Space Center that incorporated Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia. This was a boon for the space program in not only providing new facilities but also producing the air of progress to the media and the public that now had evidence that the President had in fact been serious about landing on the moon within the decade. Its completion added with the Launch Operations Center in Cape Canaveral created a new and effective system that the Gemini Program would utilize.

gemini-agena-orbital-craft_zpsb533b027.jpg

geminiiii_zpsgn3psxbw.jpg

(TOP) - Schematics showing a preliminary design for the Gemini Capsule to perform a lunar flyby.
(BOTTOM) - Schematics showing one of the most likely candidates for lunar lander variant of the Gemini capsule. This lander would perform a direct descent onto the lunar surface before returning to Earth. It would be a two manned mission.

Along with the flight and planned moon missions of the Gemini Program, NASA unveiled in a televised press conference on March 19th 1963 that the Gemini Program would be placing at least one Manned Orbiting Laboratory or MOL into orbit. The MOL would be primarily designed as a cylindrical body attached to a modified Gemini capsule that would orbit the Earth for a roughly 40-day period in order to conduct scientific experiments and measure the effects of prolonged exposure to zero gravity. Unannounced and classified were the additional plans to launch additional MOL’s as military operations focused on observation and reconnaissance missions. According to the March Press Conference, the MOL could be operational by as early as 1967. It would be the first of several planned extracurricular projects related to the Gemini Program that would crop up over the next few years.

mol_cutaway_big_zpsyvkh65et.jpg

Illustration of how the Manned Orbiting Laboratory variant of the Gemini Capsule would appear.

Shifting focus to the United States Navy, a program would begin in April 1963 that flipped gazes in the opposite direction from that of space to an equally unexplored and exotic direction. Designated as SEA-LAB, the experimental operation would construct a temporary underwater habitat on the ocean floor to study the effectiveness of saturation diving and the effects of isolation on human beings. If successful, the idea of including a future permanent iteration of SEA-LAB to aid in the preparation and training of astronauts was put on the table. For now, it would fall onto divers now labeled as aquanauts to take part in the experimental habitat.

SEA-LAB I was created by converting two floats into the main body and used railroad axles to hold it securely in place. The Navy chose an area off of the northern coast of Cuba and placed the structure at a depth of 60 m under the surface. For 3 weeks SEA-LAB conducted experiments under the command of George Bond and made several breakthroughs in the study of the longevity and practicality of saturation diving as well as making observations dealing with the habitat itself that would prove worthwhile for future projects. While not as exciting as their counterparts flying into space, aquanauts were exploring an entire other universe much closer than the stars and one somehow as mysterious as it was dangerous.

One unintended consequence of SEA-LAB was the spark of public popularity in a new field of science. With news programs now out of stories on the Cuban war and with little progress to report on the Space Race, SEA-LAB filled American airwaves for the three weeks it was underway. The exposure resulted in what has sometimes been likened to a “Cadet Boom” a term that would become common in the 1960’s. A “Cadet Boom” was coined to describe a burst in public interest of a program or pop culture movement experience especially among the youth. Just as the Mercury Program had resulted in the “Space Cadet Boom” the experiments of SEA-LAB would create a “Sea Cadet Boom”. Children cleared space next to their model spaceships and action figures for scuba divers, underwater vehicles, and sea monsters. In the Gulf of Mexico and along the coastlines of the United States there was a surprising and noticeable rise in diving as a hobby for that summer. While the Sea Cadet Boom of 1963 would be highly diminished after that summer, public popularity and the mission’s success were more than enough to ensure there would be a SEA-LAB 2.

Outside of exploration, the Era of Progress would also begin to have a noticeable effect on the United States Military armament. The experimentation of the new AR-15 rifle deployed to South Vietnamese forces had far exceeded expectations for those monitoring the test shipment. The idea of using an allied force to do American weapons testing was a relatively new one and it had been an intelligent decision. The data collected allowed for multiple shortcomings in the design to be corrected and examined before a broad American adoption of the firearm took place. The US Air Force had been granted 80,000 of the new rifles at the same time as Vietnam, but unlike the Vietnamese few if any of the Air Force rifles saw action in combat. The abilities demonstrated by the AR-15 rifle in Vietnam had been enough for Secretary of Defense Nitze to be convinced that it was the new rifle for the new age of combat. In late April of 1963, Nitze ordered the immediate halt of production of the M-14 rifle and began production and rollout of the AR-15. Criticism and condemnation within the Army fell upon deaf ears and it became clear that the rifle would be there to stay.

The Nixon policies toward the military also allowed for the dedication of funds for experimental new aircraft and vehicles that could be adopted upon their success. One of the most memorable of these aircraft from this period of time was the LTV XC-142. A tiltwing design aircraft that was intended to have vertical/short takeoff and landing capabilities. The aircraft would primarily be intended for cargo and troop transportation capabilities, but there was early mention that the President of the United States may find use of such an aircraft as a new Marine 1. Any continuation of this thought was quickly put aside until at least the design was proven to be reliable and efficient. Like many designs of the day, it would take until the second half of the 1950’s before some of these experimental aircraft began the process of adoption into service.

Last edited:
You know, I actually like the slow pacing. It really allows a lot of attention to detail. I look forward to the 1964 election, but I'm definetly okay with having to wait for it.