A Man is Finished When He Quits - The Presidency of Richard M. Nixon (Redux)

I like it. Gemini always had a lot of push to either do Apollo's job or let America rush towards low hanging "Firsts" in space travel. My only concern is that Gemini was a crash course to learn about how to work in space while Apollo was being designed. Did the war in Cuba cause Apollo and the Saturn C-5 development to get cancelled due to funding issues?

The war in Cuba actually results in more money being given to NASA in relation to OTL, as it keeps the wallet sucker of the Vietnam War from happening.

Here what is happening is that NASA decides that a direct approach toward landing on the moon is the way to go instead of a lunar orbit rendezvous landing. So we have a project developed that is OTL's Gemini, but in this program Gemini (still named such as it has a crew of two) is developed as both a crash course in its early stages and then the moon landing. However, the Saturn V rocket is still a part of the picture despite Apollo's non-existence. The Saturn V will be used once the program gets up to Lunar landing territory.

Lunar mapping and flyby missions will utilize a Saturn 1b

Here's an idea for a possible Secretary of State in 1965:

Secretary of State William Knowland:
The man was a key figure in congressional foreign policy during his time as Senator and had many viewpoints that agree with Nixon's actions such as opposition to intervention in Vietnam, he later supported Nixon's detente with China OTL, was a key figure in helping Eisenhower's foreign policy get pushed forward, strong supporter of both NATO and Taiwan. I realize that both Nixon and Knowland don't like each other but there are few experienced Republicans in the area of foreign policy like Knowland and this appointment could be seen as burying the hatchet while also throwing Conservatives a bone in the administration.

Rarename91

Banned
I just have to have respect for a man that stood 90 miles off the coast of the world's most powerful nation and actively told them to effectively go to hell even when they repeatedly tried to have him killed. Not saying I agree with some or any of his policies, but that display of courage or whatever it was is deserving of some respect.
ww3 was the only thing preventing us from going and overthrowing his ass.

To all of the readers and the supporters of this timeline, Thank You!

tumblr_lij70qlDvj1qd5n55o1_500_zps73sijcus.gif

While we didn't win the Turtledove this time around, a hefty 72 votes is nothing to scoff at. I just wanted to thank each and everyone one of you who voted for the timeline, it means so much to me that people enjoy reading this project I've been working on for almost 4 years of my life. We still have many years to cover and a lot of time to pass before this journey into another history concludes, so I hope to keep all of you on board and to gather a few more as we me forward. Again, thank you to all of you who voted and have supported this timeline during its life.

Every timeline this year was worth celebrating and every timeline has been a joy to follow and see develop. I'd like to send a congratulations to each and every one of those nominated this year, and a congratulatory salute to the overall winner Napoleon IV.

Please stay tuned to see how Nixon will handle the rest of this alternate 1960's and forward. And I have hope that with each year that passes the timeline will move closer to receiving that most sought after award, and if or when it does, I will then know I have done well. But until then, A Man is Finished When He Quits.

Here's what I predict what will happen in the future. In 2018 we'll see AMIFWHQ win the Best Cold War Timeline in a close race with No Southern Strategy and New Deal Coalition coming close behind. In 2019 AMIFWHQ will emerge in a huge landslide for the Best Cold War timeline and will virtually wipe out the competition with the exception of a timeline about Massachusetts. Unfortunately SargentHawk will have been found from leaked tapes that he was aware of certain supporters sneaking into the home of Calbear and wiretapping his place. Leading of course to the infamous Calgate scandal. The aftermath of Calgate leads to a one year stand off until 2020 when SargentHawk gracefully resigns from the website while Gonzo assumes writing the rest of the timeline. The End.

(If none of you understood this post then clearly you have no knowledge of Nixon)

Here's what I predict what will happen in the future. In 2018 we'll see AMIFWHQ win the Best Cold War Timeline in a close race with No Southern Strategy and New Deal Coalition coming close behind. In 2019 AMIFWHQ will emerge in a huge landslide for the Best Cold War timeline and will virtually wipe out the competition with the exception of a timeline about Massachusetts. Unfortunately SargentHawk will have been found from leaked tapes that he was aware of certain supporters sneaking into the home of Calbear and wiretapping his place. Leading of course to the infamous Calgate scandal. The aftermath of Calgate leads to a one year stand off until 2020 when SargentHawk gracefully resigns from the website while Gonzo assumes writing the rest of the timeline. The End.

(If none of you understood this post then clearly you have no knowledge of Nixon)
Nah, Calbear, being the real animal, will look at these supporter intruders with some annoyance and curious looks and then chase them down and eat them. Then Gonzo is hunted down next for Calbear's next meal.