A Kingdom of Two Roses

Well, a later born Henry Tudor would not really be the same Henry. Although it wouldn’t fix the yuck factor of her giving birth so young, perhaps she could get through it more unscathed so that she would be able to carry children later on?
That’s what I am currently thinking of doing, have the pregnancy go smoother, so she is able to bare more children later on.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Would that really be the case?Richard of York and his family still had quite a lot of rivals in England.This is also a golden opportunity for a lot of families to try and upjump their own position by marrying their own son to the future queen.
I'd think there would be competition, but no *real* competition, unless Henry VI wants a civil war on his hands. Given he can't stomach even regular war.... Also in this situation Queen Margaret doesn't have to watch out for her son and the great male dangers he faces. She'll want the most powerful husband as possible for her daughter, to have a sure seat on the throne. Marrying her daughter to Edward kills two birds with one stone. York won't contest the crown, and the most powerful noble in England (York) will be her greatest ally in supporting their children.

That’s assuming Henry VII exists ITTL, Edmund Tudor might wait a teeny bit longer before consummating his marriage Margaret Beaufort. Henry VI dying would help assure peace, both so would York taking Somerset’s place as his right hand man.
Obviously Edmund consummating his marriage with a 12-years-old is horrifying and Margaret would be better off if it hadn't happened, but I love Henry VII. Please have him exist in this timeline.
I agree completely. I am torn between having the marriage being consummated later own, or having it being consummated around the same time as OTL, though I am leaning towards the latter.
Pretty unlikely who Edmund will feel the need to consummate so early if Henry VI is safe on his throne and England is not in the middle of a civil war AND he is secure who Margaret and her lands will belong to him

Pretty unlikely who Edmund will feel the need to consummate so early if Henry VI is safe on his throne and England is not in the middle of a civil war AND he is secure who Margaret and her lands will belong to him
That was what I was thinking, he might not feel like he needs to secure her lands, so he might wait longer before consummating the marriage, but then there’s no OTL Henry VII, so…

That was what I was thinking, he might not feel like he needs to secure her lands, so he might wait longer before consummating the marriage, but then there’s no OTL Henry VII, so…
He would NOT be the OTL Henry VII in any case (he will be born and grown-up in a very different world, with a totally different environment AND Margaret and Edmund would still call their eldest son Henry so he can safely be born 2-4 years later than OTL…

He would NOT be the OTL Henry VII in any case (he will be born and grown-up in a very different world, with a totally different environment AND Margaret and Edmund would still call their eldest son Henry so he can safely be born 2-4 years later than OTL…
True, though according to Elis ap Gruffydd, Henry VII was originally named Owen, but Margaret changed it to Henry at the last minute, so it could be kept ITTL.

Last edited:
I'd think there would be competition, but no *real* competition, unless Henry VI wants a civil war on his hands. Given he can't stomach even regular war.... Also in this situation Queen Margaret doesn't have to watch out for her son and the great male dangers he faces. She'll want the most powerful husband as possible for her daughter, to have a sure seat on the throne. Marrying her daughter to Edward kills two birds with one stone. York won't contest the crown, and the most powerful noble in England (York) will be her greatest ally in supporting their children.
He's basically nuts.I don't think he will be the one to make any decision.

Part II
"Margaret of Anjou is often portrayed as being disappoint at the birth of Margaret of Lancaster, something that is evidently false. Unlike many of her contemporaries, Queen Margaret was overjoyed at the birth of her first and only child, spending hours doting on her. In one of her own letters, Margaret described her child as being “The sole light of my world”. So contrary to Philippa Gregory’s Margaret, the real Margaret took delight in her daughter’s birth.”

Hedwig Johansson, “Debunking 50,000 myths about history”

“While many nobles quietly complained about the Queen’s failure to provide a son, Margaret and her supporters shrugged it off, an heir was an heir after all. Margaret chose to name her daughter after herself and England’s Saint Margaret, who was also an ancestor of Princess Margaret as it happened. On November 10th, Princess Margaret was baptised by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Cardinal John Kemp. Margaret of Lancaster’s Godparents were Lady Eleanor Beauchamp, Duchess of Somerset, Anne Neville, Duchess of Buckingham, and Cardinal John Kemp [1].

The Dukes of Somerset, Exeter, Buckingham, and York would all attend the baptism, recognising Princess Margaret as Henry VI’s natural daughter and heir. Many were quick follow the dukes and would also acknowledge Princess Margaret. as Henry VI’s daughter, and as the heir presumptive of England, though her position as such would not be indisputable until Henry VI himself recognised her [2].”

Lauren Johnson, “Two Margarets: The Story of a Mother and Daughter”

“The Duke of Buckingham and Margaret of Anjou would soon take the young Princess Margaret to Henry VI, in hopes she could help free him from his stupor, and officially be acknowledged by her Father. The result was… disappointing, to say the least. Henry VI would raise his eyes and stare at the young girl for several seconds before lowering them back down afterwards [3]. Margaret of Anjou would soon begin to fear that her daughter’s place as the heir to England would be usurped by the Richard. As a result Margaret of Anjou began thinking of ways to secure her daughter's status as the heir to England. At first, she may have considered marrying Princess Margaret to James III of Scotland, then to the Duke of Buckingham’s Grandson before considering marrying Princess Margaret to a son of one of her Tudor in-laws. But events in 1454 convinced her to make a deal with what she saw as the devil [4].”

William Dudley-Jones, “The Good Duke: The Life of Richard, 3rd Duke of York”

[1] Mostly OTL. Eleanor Beauchamp serves as Margaret's second Godmother similar to how Edmund Beaufort was Edward's second Godfather.
[2] Edward of Westminster was in a similar boat AIUI.
[3] Pretty much what happened in OTL.
[4] Hm, I wonder who this could be?

I do not believe Richard original wanted to take the throne i believe in the end he had no choice in the matter but an alternative in the end

Iirc, arthur tudor had to be represented by a proxy at his betrothal ceremony because he was too young to give consent
Really? I haven't heard of that one before. Then again Richard of Shrewsbury was married to Anne de Mowbray at 5, so there seems to have been exceptions to these rules.