A House of Lamps: A Moorish America

Is England have any presence in new world at all? Or are they to busy with problem closer to home?

Not right now. Even in OTL the first true English colony in the New World was in 1584, and even with the earlier scale in this timeline the English have bigger fish to fry. France is slowly gaining a increasingly inexorable advantage in the European wars, religious tension is rising in England, and there is great social instability. These are all factors that OTL led to colonization, and they will in this timeline, but it simply has not happened yet. Much of English identity was built out of anti-Spanish resentment, and obviously Spain is doesn't even exist in this timeline, so England will on some level, develop very differently. I am leaving a lot of details especially on internal politics and society out in the central timeline, which I will elaborate on gradually as it becomes significant.

Damn, that Ottoman-Berber-Andalusian-Castilian-Aragonian Free-for-all in Western Mediterranean... I now want to play a Med2 mod set there lol.

There's grumbling of the Wars of Religion in northern Europe I see there? Is Burgundy still extant? England is still in France??
How does HRE and Eastern Europe stands now? The Turks seem to be focusing on the Mediterranean (and Italy-Tunis) rather than Austria-Hungary...

Soon, Muslim explorers out to Pacific! Oh, with the discovery of the Cape of New Hope I think Zanzibar traders will move West searching for more coastal tribes to raid/enslave and try to get those profitable New World trade further west.

Yeah, the western Mediterranean is basically breaking up into two large groups, those more closely aligned to the Papacy and those more distant. Importantly, the leaders of the anti-Papal faction are still Catholic, it is more about deep-seated distrust of the Popes geopolitical power than religious schisms (by 1550 anyways). Its primarily a war between France and Aragon, with everyone else breaking into groups depending on who they think they can squeeze the most advantages from.

The Protestant - Catholic conflict is happening along roughly similar lines to OTL, with two exceptions. Firstly, there is a much larger protestant population in Spain here than OTL, because of the normanos, and second, there being a large and powerful Islamic state in the west in addition to the Ottomans means that there is a greater imperative for pan-europeanism and religious unity. The Pope sees europe as surrounded by Islamic states, and then tearing itself apart from within. There is a very strong underlying need for resolution among all parties, and as the Ottomans continue to blaze across Eastern Europe, that sense will increase. Except similar levels of religious violence in europe, but also except more significant treaties and larger power blocs as well. Also more intense anti-Islamic sentiments, and certainly more rapid colonization of the new world as a way of both improving europes economic station and saving the 'savages' from the dreaded heathen Moor.

Burgundy lost a lot of its autonomy with the Battle of Nancy, which happened the same as in OTL. What has happened most recently with Burgundy has been that the Holy Roman Emperor, Philip has given up attempting to forcibly conquer it and has basically turfed it over to France. This is because of internal politics in the HRE wherein his election as emperor stirred up a lot of bad blood from him being of French affiliation rather than German, so he has decided to focus inward rather than burn men and troops on foreign wars like Maximillian. He also believes he can parlay his connections with the French royal family to eventually gain through peace in Burgundy what he cannot gain in war.

England is still mucking about in France. Henry VIII still does his cash-gathering expeditions and if anything England is becoming more involved in French politics, since France is the largest power in this ATL Europe, without a Hapsburg Spain to deal with.

The Turks are focusing on both, I'm just not writing about events in the Balkans. I leave a lot of events out of the main timeline for reasons that I have already said, and because it gives me room when I write more detailed and specific installments on certain points later on. The Turks are still, as in OTL, rampaging through eastern europe, but they are also attacking the Maghreb and Italy (as in OTL). The difference here is that the Ottomans have made more significant inroads into Italy and have had more troubles in Africa.

Muhammad II does not see any potential in expanding the African trade, as far as he sees it he has his hands full with the Riysh. You will see some independent probing of the southern African coast and some linkages with the Indian Ocean but the Ayshunids are a Islamic state, they already have easier access to the Indian Ocean trade network than say, Christian Portugual. That globalist, colonizing, imperialistic mentality pre-modern Spain, Portugal, France would develop after 1492 just has not arisen yet in Andalusia. It is starting to develop in those same European countries, which will lead to some interesting contrasts.

If they can survive these conflicts, qaranids actually have a strong incentive to start their own colonies (South America?). having a income source to the west doesent hurt and far less competitive than west African trade.

The Qaranids are a sea-faring empire, but they are a Mediterranean one, and are currently being invaded by three different enemy armies (Hajids, Ottomans, Castile). They have bigger things to deal with, like still existing as a state in 1570. It is very doubtful they survive honestly, just another in the long chain of Berber dynasties. The Ayshunids are going to be the only New World Islamic state for a good while.

Last edited:
It's inevitable that the Riyshi Arabs and/or Islamized native Americans come across the Inca Empire. If it hasn't already collapsed from the spread of New World diseases and been replaced by some other entity. Also the Galapagos would be a great staging ground for the hezzis to plan their raids.

It's inevitable that the Riyshi Arabs and/or Islamized native Americans come across the Inca Empire. If it hasn't already collapsed from the spread of New World diseases and been replaced by some other entity. Also the Galapagos would be a great staging ground for the hezzis to plan their raids.

Lucky or not, Andalusian contact with the Inca is a while off. There is no significant permanent Arab presence on the western coast of Mesoamerica at all nor even in Panama. Now, as the situation in Mesoamerica begins to settle more after the subjugation (in a sense) of the Mexica, there will be more opportunities for Arab traders to move inland. Knowing that Al-Yikaq is not very fertile grounds for good trading (though slavers will begin to ply their trade their in earnest), many of them will head south, and then its inevitable that eventually settlements will be founded on the western shores. Then from there eventually there might be contact, but you see how different the situation is. The closest Arabs have gotten to the Inca has been some expeditions into the Colombian interior which all ended in failure, and they have no knowledge of the Inca in the first place at all. It could be many decades past 1550 before Arabs discover Peru.

When they do eventually contact the Inca, because that is inevitable, it will be a radically changed empire. Smallpox has absolutely decimated it, and the Inca Civil War in this timeline ends with Atahualpa's ultimate victory over Huascar. Atahualpa though as Sapa Inca is still going to be contending with a demographic collapse on a apocalyptic scale. The Inca will not survive as they had, thats all I can say for now. When there is contact it will be likely in the lifetime of Atahualpas son or grandson.

Last edited:
Oh wow. Where to begin?

Europe/Mediterranean

Well, it ain’t a world war till East Asia sings! I’ll discuss the colonies later, but I want to know how the rest of Europe are viewing the pile-up in the Med. I wonder if the Pope, while also celebrating the conflict as a potential unifier of Christendom against the Protestant heresy, is secretly half-guessing what sort of monster conflict has he endorsed. Given the scale of the conflict, I wonder if Venice and Genoa are secretly backing different sides?

The Ottomans accepting Ayshunid nobles into the fold sounds… interesting. We know the two polities are usually hands-off towards each other’s policies and spheres of influence, but I wonder if now there will be more to Ottoman policy than just taking over the eastern Maghreb, now that they have a class of people who know just how valuable is the Far West.

Riysh

I was half-hoping for an Aztec Charlemagne, but oh well. The Mexica learning how to ride horses and donkeys is a huge advantage, though I’m guessing they aren’t translating that to good ridesmanship (yet) because: a) the Mexica are still new to this, b) horses are still few and thus a precious breed to the empire, and c) it’s seen as an animal ridden “only for higher peoples”. Besides that, I wonder if the Mexica will also figure out that horses and donkeys can also help in food production as draft animals. Then again, they also saw the wheel as only fit for children’s toys IOTL, so maybe this innovation will also be passed by. Maybe one of the native peoples will make the connection.

As for the Tanaki, ouch! Having your cultural superiors release a hated enemy and effectively pardoning him sounds like the ultimate betrayal! I can see bad relations brewing quickly between the Islamised peoples and the Arabs, if the latter continues to manipulate local politics like this. Thankfully, it seems gunpowder has also been introduced to the local wars of Mesoamerica, and if Ibn Tahaz (or the Tanaki and other peoples) manage to gain production knowledge, the Riyshi Arabs would be in for a rough colonization process. Also, I dunno why, but I feel some odd shades of Sikhism in Tahaz… must be because of his hiding.

In the exploration and trade front, I like that the tables are turning for the Ayshunids, what with the Riyshi families now entering the Iberian economy and all (cacahuatl coffeehouses in Al-Andalus? Will there be an alternate Starbucks for 16th century hipsters? :biggrin: ). But I wonder where did the extra silver came from, since as far as I know, the largest deposits are still in South America. Back in the Riysh, I’m still waiting for one explorer to discover the Mississippi and realize that there is a lot more to the continent than steamy jungles and swamps. If only someone has the idea to sail upriver, but I’ll save that for another time. Other than that, are the hot springs of Florida discovered yet by the explorers? And what do the Riyshis think of manatees?

Here’s hoping the oncoming war will not hit too hard on the region!

P.S:

“We dine on Moorish plates, sweeten our food with Moorish sugar, and smoke the Moorish leaf. How can I extend the dominion of Christ when I have lost to the Muhummaden my very dinner table?”

How you likin’ that tobacco, Henry? :p

Oh wow. Where to begin?

Europe/Mediterranean

Well, it ain’t a world war till East Asia sings! I’ll discuss the colonies later, but I want to know how the rest of Europe are viewing the pile-up in the Med. I wonder if the Pope, while also celebrating the conflict as a potential unifier of Christendom against the Protestant heresy, is secretly half-guessing what sort of monster conflict has he endorsed. Given the scale of the conflict, I wonder if Venice and Genoa are secretly backing different sides?

The Ottomans accepting Ayshunid nobles into the fold sounds… interesting. We know the two polities are usually hands-off towards each other’s policies and spheres of influence, but I wonder if now there will be more to Ottoman policy than just taking over the eastern Maghreb, now that they have a class of people who know just how valuable is the Far West.

Riysh

I was half-hoping for an Aztec Charlemagne, but oh well. The Mexica learning how to ride horses and donkeys is a huge advantage, though I’m guessing they aren’t translating that to good ridesmanship (yet) because: a) the Mexica are still new to this, b) horses are still few and thus a precious breed to the empire, and c) it’s seen as an animal ridden “only for higher peoples”. Besides that, I wonder if the Mexica will also figure out that horses and donkeys can also help in food production as draft animals. Then again, they also saw the wheel as only fit for children’s toys IOTL, so maybe this innovation will also be passed by. Maybe one of the native peoples will make the connection.

As for the Tanaki, ouch! Having your cultural superiors release a hated enemy and effectively pardoning him sounds like the ultimate betrayal! I can see bad relations brewing quickly between the Islamised peoples and the Arabs, if the latter continues to manipulate local politics like this. Thankfully, it seems gunpowder has also been introduced to the local wars of Mesoamerica, and if Ibn Tahaz (or the Tanaki and other peoples) manage to gain production knowledge, the Riyshi Arabs would be in for a rough colonization process. Also, I dunno why, but I feel some odd shades of Sikhism in Tahaz… must be because of his hiding.

In the exploration and trade front, I like that the tables are turning for the Ayshunids, what with the Riyshi families now entering the Iberian economy and all (cacahuatl coffeehouses in Al-Andalus? Will there be an alternate Starbucks for 16th century hipsters? :biggrin: ). But I wonder where did the extra silver came from, since as far as I know, the largest deposits are still in South America. Back in the Riysh, I’m still waiting for one explorer to discover the Mississippi and realize that there is a lot more to the continent than steamy jungles and swamps. If only someone has the idea to sail upriver, but I’ll save that for another time. Other than that, are the hot springs of Florida discovered yet by the explorers? And what do the Riyshis think of manatees?

Here’s hoping the oncoming war will not hit too hard on the region!

P.S:

How you likin’ that tobacco, Henry? :p

Europe/Mediterranean

The Pope is, as of 1550, Julius III (same as OTL), and is very concerned about dealing with the threat of Protestantism, and he is also concerned, as other popes have been, with foreign intrusion into Italy. The rapid spread of the Ottomans however is now pressing on him to wrap the situation in Italy up as quickly as possible. If there is to be war, make sure it is the Ottomans vs. the Europeans, and so far it is actually turning out that way. His concern with the Ayshunids is much lesser, because they generally don't meddle in European politics at all and its also, "the enemy of my enemy" in this case. They hate the Ottomans, he hates the Ottomans, they can stay out of each-others way. So, the Pope is actually rather pleased by how things are turning out in Europe. Aragon is getting its comeuppances, Italy is in general being left alone compared to previous wars, and he has the two largest Islamic powers in the region duking it out in territories he could not care whatsoever about (the Maghreb). The pro-Papal league is winning and the HRE has backed off France: its a good time to be Pope. Leaves him room to deal with the Protestants and a possible new Council of Trent (which happens in this timeline more easily than OTL without a corresponding Sack of Rome or a meddlesome Charles V).

As for the Ottomans, they expect that they will steamroll the entire Maghreb and they want client rulers to scatter all over it in the aftermath. They want rulers who will be A: loyal, B: competent, and C: welcomed by the local populace. A Andalusian noble will have a far better time at this than a Turkish corsair, and their hatred of both the Qaranids and the Ayshunids means there is little reason for them to rebel. Its a good bargain.

Riysh

Ahuitzotl is the closest you are gonna get, and he is more like Aztec Alfred the Great, so you work which what you have. The Mexica absolutely understand the power of horses, steel, and gunpowder, and they also know they lack the expertise to use them natively - hence them trying desperately. The problem is, there is a entire infrastructure that goes into maintaining a effective cavalry core that they don't have, and certainly no Arab would be willing to help them while they were openly at war, and captives were hard to come by (experienced Arab cavalry trainers aren't exactly easy to capture). Stuff like donkeys was far easier, because they were traded as peacetime goods, the Arabs weren't paying attention really or didn't care if the Mexica used them. Therefore, the Aztecs simply have both more donkeys, and more time with them, than they do with horses (or atleast, breeds meant for combat). Hence them already adopting donkeys on a large scale but still experimenting with the basics of equestrian technology.

OTL, the reason mesoamerican peoples ever only had the wheel on childrens toys is because that is what it was good for. Without large animals to power wheeled carts, what really is the overwhelming point? A city like Tenochtitlan was built entirely by human foot labor, certainly the wheel wasn't a hindrance to large scale urban planning or even intensive agriculture, so they simply never needed to invent it on a larger scale. They absolutely will start using carts and horses and pigs and chickens and goats and all the old world crop of domesticated animals (they already have definitely by 1550), its just really not stuff I have mentioned in the timeline because its irrelevant for the specific events I have covered so far. There are some big social and economic shifts in Mesoamerica in this timeline as population collapse and a influx of new crops and animals drastically change the native human geography. I promised a economic update and stuff like this will be loosely covered in it.

The Tanaki are rightfully furious, and they will reap their revenge in some form. The Riyshi Arabs are set in this mindset of treating the native peoples as pawns for their own profit and second-class citizens, but it will definitely change. The Mexica are subdued, the Arabs are gradually taking over upper management of the region, without a constant Aztec menace on the horizon all that anger is going to go somewhere, and Ibn Tahaz will be used as a prime excuse to start a fight. He's not gone just yet.

There are large silver mines in Mexico proper that were exploited OTL by the Spanish, not just the famous ones in the Andes. The overwhelming problem with the Ayshunid economy is that it has not evolved to a economy that can manage a continental empire, its stuck in the mindset of the 13th century. The Riyshi Arabs are developing a capitalistic market economy while the Iberians are living a quaint medieval existence, and we know who wins that conflict. Really, the Riysh is doing all the innovation, making the profit, driving progress forward while Iberia is languishing in conservatism, sitting on cash and acting as a toll-operator for the rest of Europe. Something is going to give, and you can see that it is starting to.

I have it in the back of my head to do a entire section on how the Colombian Exchange is affecting the Old World in this timeline (because it is doing it in different ways of course), and that includes stuff like chocolate and tobacco. Really stuff like that I leave out of the main timeline so I can give it its own proper due in individual posts. The core timeline really is to just set up the foundational 'canon' of main political and military events that everything else branches off of.

The Riyshi Arabs are adventurous, but they aren't exactly as gung-ho as OTL conquistadors. That said, they aren't ones to ignore the potential of a major navigable waterway and they are definitely going to sail up the Mississippi. Whether or not anything more consequential than a few fur-trapping posts and a small fishing village happens in the next few decades, that's the real question. They are aware of the hot springs of Florida, but its the usual garbled folklore that you get in colonial societies. Manatees are definitely known, they are called Al-Kurumun, a arabization of a Mulucan Taino word. Riyshi folklore holds them to be beneficial creatures whose appearance correlates with good weather for fishing. They are also often mislabeled as al-nisa' al-bahr "Women of the Sea" i.e. Mermaids (though that sort of mythology holds much less sway in the Riysh than in the OTL Caribbean).

Last edited:
For your viewing Pleasure, Buriken [Puerto Rico] with its internal subdivisions and major settlements:

8ME8y4n.jpg

Mintaqahs are internal districts, used both in the Ayshunid heartland of Iberia and the Riysh.

The names of the various settlements (shown here are purely the Arab settlements, though by this point the native Tayni are functionally extinct as a distinct population, those who are still primarily indigenous live near Arab population centers, are a blend of Arab names, and Arabized Tayni names. For Instance, the common ending -aw in Riyshi toponyms is a Arabization of -ao, which means "a abundance of". Some names are also in Riyshi Arabic vs. Andalusian Arabic, such as Hezzi, the Riyshi version of "Ghazi". It is common in the Riysh to name towns after the first founder of it, so that a town founded by the Hezzi Omar would become Hezzi Omar.

This was a part of a larger map I am making of the entire Riysh to go along with a update specifically on the economics of that region, but I decided to split it up and post it here as its own little update.

Last edited:
Islamised zapotec states have been mentioned before but mostly have just been knocked down continuously by the Mexica.

Has this repression and occupation produced a totonac like process of islamisation? The last king of the zapotecs did convert to Catholicism after all.

Tehuantepec also seems like the perfect location to begin a west coast naval presence.

Islamised zapotec states have been mentioned before but mostly have just been knocked down continuously by the Mexica.

Has this repression and occupation produced a totonac like process of islamisation? The last king of the zapotecs did convert to Catholicism after all.

Tehuantepec also seems like the perfect location to begin a west coast naval presence.

The Zapotecs hold ill will against every foreign party. Fitting, considering that their territory has been turned into a warzone between the Totonacs, Arabs and Mexica (a fate shared by essentially all peoples in southern and central Mexico). There is some islamization but its not like the Totonac approach to it, much more scatter-shot. As Mexica influences wanes and the Arabs begin to directly govern large swathes of territory you will see more islamization but as of 1550 the Zapotec states remain firmly indigenous as a whole, except for those on the Arab periphery who feel secure enough under Arab protection to choose that over the Mexica (who ruthlessly, savagely punished native states that side with the Arabs). If it helps, there is basically a arc of islamization in 1550 that roughly matches the power-balance between Mexica, and Islamized Native / Arab control, stretching from the eastern end of the Otomi in the north through Tlaxcala south to the northern periphery of Zapotecan and Mixtec lands. Many Chontal Maya to the east are islamized, but those living near Zapotecan lands are primarily pagan, hence many disgraced pagan lords of the Mexican coast fleeing to Maya lands after their defeat by Islamized forces.

Tehuantepec is where things will start to heat up in terms of Arab presence on the west coast, good eye. The Zapotec lands will quickly gain even more importance as they become the main overland highway between Arab colonies in Mexico and the Maya lands (this pivotal strategic position is why they were so hotly contested in the first place). They are still comparatively remote though, away from the main centers of power to the northwest, so it will take time. One thing that is important to keep in mind is that unlike OTL, the Arabs are not the sort of unstoppable juggernaut the Spanish became viewed as, they are on a more comparatively equal plain with native powers, so there is less of a sense of native rulers giving over their territories without a fight, like the last Zapotec kings did after hearing of the defeat of the Aztecs. Don't expect the Zapotecs to surrender their hard-fought independence entirely without resistance.

Im in a map-making fit right now, after I am done with my giant map of the Riysh it only seems fitting there be a corresponding map of Mexico and then one of the Yucatan (though it could take a while, there are a lot of towns in Mexico).

Last edited:
The Two-Tier Economy: The Riyshi Market Economy in the 16th century
The Two-Tier Economy: The Riyshi Market Economy in the 16th century

The Riysh was more than the economic engine of the Ayshunid state, it was the laboratory for the whole of Eurasia, a crucible for economic and political innovations that passed to the Old World as readily as tobacco or sugar did through the courts of Europe. This article will cover the economic state of the Riysh as of the mid-16th century, its immediate history and its characteristics. Also covered will be its exports and imports, the goods that gave it the primacy it had throughout this period, and piracy.

History

The economic history of the Riysh is at its base, the history of exploitation. That is, the arrival of Arabs to the New World and their immediate utilization of its native resources and peoples to enrich themselves. During the first incorporation of the Riysh into a recognizable centralized political structure under the hegemony of the Sultan, which is most conveniently stated as the years immediately after the Ghazi Revolt of the mid-1400s, when the Riysh was partitioned into more manageable regions, and all major territories were fully incorporated into the central Arab state, the economic system at this point very similar to that of Iberia and indeed, of the larger Islamic Medieval World.

Much of the territory of the Riysh had, after its initial conquest by Arab forces, been subdivided much like Christian or Zoroastrian lands had been during the initial conquests of the Caliphate: native populations were forced to pay kharaj tax on the land they farmed in addition to a jizya, while notable Arabs were according the most prime real estate. Much of the Riysh was quickly parceled out into family estates and farms for Arab migrants, often those same soldiers who had conquered a region as a reward for their service. The outlying areas were held by indigenous tribes which worked and harvested the land, paying tax in the form of tribute goods, while the most remote interior lands were left largely un-administered, with Arabs trading at the periphery with the tribes or seizing goods by force in raids. Merchant families plied the sea routes between the islands, moving goods from the Riysh to Iberia and vice-versa. Over time, these merchants became wealthier as farms became more centralized and set on cash-crop production under larger and wealthier landlords. Also, as the native population quickly mixed into the Arab gene pool while those unincorporated peoples withered out of disease, a fresh wave of migrants came to consolidate the Riysh, turning the three-tier system that predominated from the discovery of the New World until the mid-1400s into a two-tier system. This two-tier system became defined by the mixed native-Arab and migrant Arab serf class that farmed individual plots, crewed factories and worked in the cottage economy, and the Iberian Arab upper-class that managed large family estates and conducted regional commerce. These family estates soon swelled to become larger collective holdings between associations of similar profession, much like communally owned guild properties. The most notable of these were the Ghazi estates in Mulukah, where disparate bands of mercenaries, through deals with the state and significant personal capital, accrued vast estates that farmed cotton, sugar and tobacco to sell at inordinate profits elsewhere in the Riysh and with Iberia. These estates were disbanded after the Ghazi revolts, and the lands returned to local farmers or given to Iberian loyalist commanders, but they marked the climax of a nascent sort of corporatist, industrial land exploitation that would blossom fully in the 1500s.

The Riyshi Merchant Elite

The Riysh economy at the dawn of the 16th century was fundamentally a two-tier system. While the cottage economy dominated much of the countryside, noble families had a stranglehold on regional commerce and managed vast estates, working the local population as serfs to provide cash crops to supply the furious demand in Europe for New World goods. These merchant families competed with each-other for control over both territories in the Riysh and favorable trade networks in the mainland, all the while skirting Iberian authority. The level of state control in the Riysh, never particularly strong to begin with, was severely sapped at the start of the 16th century, it having become an unspoken rule that so long as the sultanates tariffs were complied with, it was free reign for the merchant elites.

It is important to speak briefly on the identity of these Riyshi merchant families, to help lay the background for their motivations and later competition with Iberian markets. Riyshi merchant families were, as a rule, of Iberian stock, and were by large majority founded by Iberian elites. As Ayshunid territory had ossified, and amid a population boom, there became a crisis wherein the share of land awarded to individual sons was rapidly shrinking, and consolidating among the eldest son of a family (a problem not unlike that faced perennially throughout European history). This led many of these younger sons to travel to the Riysh, where there was land much more readily available, and glory to be won in combat. Also factoring into this was the Sultanates practice of exiling restless nobles to the Riysh to separate them from their holdings in Iberia, as well as the class of warrior elites that rose in wealth purely through military exploits. These three groups blended to create an aristocracy in the Riysh quite distinct from that in Iberia. On one hand, they were almost entirely disassociated from Old World notions of Arab tribal affiliation, a powerful symbol of social rank in Iberia even after the deconstruction of the tribal clans in the early years of the Sultanate, and they were also restive, militarily capable, and with little love for Iberia. Many of the first of these Riyshi self-made men would marry the daughters of Iberian nobles, attempting to leverage their wealth in the New World to acquire prestige in the Old, but eventually these Riyshi nobles would instead marry local Arab women, further distancing them from their Iberian relatives. Unsurprisingly, this sort of separatist attitude was a major driving factor underneath the constant rebelliousness of the region, but it also leant a certain spontaneity to Riyshi enterprise, no sense of respect for traditional ways of going about things. They conducted business like merchants, spending much more time and energy managing their familial estates like quasi-corporations than noble holdings. In many ways, Riyshi aristocrats began to act almost to a tee like the famous noble families of the Italian Renaissance, the Sforza, Strozzi, and Medici, for example.

These Riyshi nobles maintained their power through economic coercion, and force. The Sultanate rarely gave troops to the Riysh unless it was for major expeditions of suppression or conquest, leaving much of the daily business of preventing piracy, defending against native raids and suppressing smaller uprisings to mercenary ghazi bands. After the Ghazi revolts when the power of the autonomous Ghazi clans was severely curbed, this left a large seething mass of highly experienced warriors nominally under the authority of colonial officials, but who were in reality themselves under the control of Riyshi nobles. A general lack of care for legal process and an astonishing level of corruption meant that for all intents and purposes, after the Ghazi revolts all that changed on the ground was a shifting of ultimate command of the Ghazi armies from Ghazi commanders to Riyshi merchant headmen. These families began to use the Ghazis as private thugs, setting them on caravans of opposing clans and using them to protect their own assets. This was all done while both the Merchant lords and the Ghazis were ostensibly servants of the state. In addition, Riyshi nobles hired native mercenaries, spies, Iberian veterans and even European mercenaries (largely Genoese), in their constant battle for economic hegemony. It was only in the frontier zones of the Yucatan and Mexico where state control was truly measurable on the ground-level, as these regions were managed closely as conquered territories, supervised by Iberian commanders under the behest of the Sultan. Even in these territories much of the day to day economic management of the land was controlled by local merchants and lords.

This is not to say that the Riysh was a lawless warzone however. In contrast, for all the conflict between the Merchant families, there was a constant flow of wealth through the region that made the Riysh easily one of the wealthiest, most prosperous regions in the world at the time, with vast economic and social opportunities for its inhabitants far beyond those that lay in the Old World. Many of the members of the Merchant families were themselves at first, dispossessed nobles or lay men who had acquired status through battlefield renown, and one key factor that set the Riysh apart from Iberia was a general willingness to look beyond existing social rank in business ventures. Indeed, it was the willingness of Riyshi merchant elites to accept into their ranks people from all social classes that would give them a crucial edge over Iberian families after the Riyshi merchants began to seriously make inroads into the Iberian regional economy.

This social acceptance was built on a constantly changing economic situation on the ground. With so much wealth changing hands, a poor man one day could find himself a noble the next. It is then an excellent moment to transition from the makeup of these Riyshi elites, to where they derived their power, their sources of income.

Cash Crops

The Riyshi economy was built on Sugar and Gold. The first sugarcane cuttings had arrived in the Riysh not too long after its discovery by Arabs, and immediately sugar-farms sprouted up throughout the region, often occupying territories vacated as native peoples died off from disease and warfare. Many sugar-farms would maintain the majority of the land for sugarcane, with a portion for growing sustenance crops for the farms inhabitants. As the Riyshi economy shifted towards relying more on large plantations, these smaller farms were either subsumed entirely into these large estates, growing only sugar, while others became purely sustenance crops like rice to feed this population. Rice quickly came to dominate the Riyshi diet. Caloric, well-suited to the native climate and it held well over long voyages. Arab settlements would be ringed by rice paddies, with orchards, fields of squashes and beans and then on the periphery, the vast estates growing cotton, sugar, and tobacco. Yet it was Sugar that dominated above all, and simply for the fact that it surpassed all others in demand in Europe. Once it was discovered that Riyshi sugar was not only plentiful, but easily available from the amicable sultans unlike the Ottomans who guttered trade with India, European monarchs leaped to sign trade agreements to acquire “Moorish Sugar”, as it was known. Riyshi Sugar quickly rocketed through Europe, as well as Tobacco – its addictive properties having become popular in Iberia by the mid-1400s, and transmitted to Christian lands not long after. Other major Riyshi crops included coffee, which spread from seeds brought by Syrian merchants in the late 1400s, Cotton, which grew well in the tropical climate and was easier for Christians to acquire than cotton from Egypt, Spices, and fruits.

It is estimated that in the year 1500, 95% of sugar consumed in Europe came from the Riysh, and of that number, over 2/3 was grown in eastern Muluka. The wealth from sugar alone made the Ayshunid sultan the richest man in Europe, nearly surpassing the Ottoman sultan in financial value. This money was concentrated, in the Riysh, among the merchant elites who actually controlled the sugar production process, but it often trickled out into the middle-class, who worked as contractors, merchants, scouts, and captains to fuel the Riyshi economy.

Gold was the other main driver of the regional economy, and to a lesser extent silver. The first gold mines were built in the Riysh around the same time as the first sugar mills, and as it became clear that there was plentiful mineral wealth to be had in trade with the mainland, the metal trade exploded in size. Gold was different from sugar in that, past a certain point, the raw extraction of the research was not in the Riysh, but in Mexico, specifically native mines in the center of that land. Gold and silver shipments, offered as payment for Arab goods and/or aid, were melted down and pressed into bars and dinars, then sent to the Iberian markets. Along every step of the process Riyshi middlemen took a cut, with the government in Seville imposing a tax that varied from 10-30%. Reliance on native rulers to oversee the actual extraction of precious metals and then trade them to the Arabs meant that there was a constant pressure on Riyshi leaders to not unduly stress native regimes, lest they break down, and the Arabs lose access to the mines. Those mines in the Riysh, like the gold mines near Mawanaq in Mulukah that the Arabs did directly oversee, were closely monitored by the state, making the constant cutting that enriched the native economy more difficult. Gold was extracted by, at first native slaves, and then later Maghrebi and Azorean Arab workers, and then transported to Iberia as part of an official state monopoly on Riyshi gold. It was in fact this very monopoly, instituted in the very first years of the Riysh, that encouraged private merchants to exploit Mexican mines instead. There was such a glut of unregulated Riyshi coins, especially the silver dirham, that it caused rampant inflation in the Iberian economy in the 16th century.

Both gold and silver were managed on the ground level by Riyshi merchants, but the actual fieldwork was done by serfs and slaves. The first decades of the Riysh were marked by rampant slave raiding on the pagan Karbi peoples, and the indentured servitude of the Tayni (who, while not officially slaves on account of being nominally muslim, often found themselves pressed into similar conditions regardless). Disease quickly destroyed this system, and the ensuing economic gulf led to a wave of migrants, first from Macaronesia and then the larger Islamic world. These workers, coming from islands that were themselves overcrowded, moved to the Riysh due to state incentives and the possibility of personal enrichment. Once arrived though, they became part of the vast underclass of workers, known collectively as ‘ayedi, which is a Riyshi Arab term meaning, literally, “hands”. These workers acted as feudal serfs, working in mines, on estates, or in lumberyards or docks in exchange for a dwelling and a nominal salary. In reality, these dwellings were shanties, and these salaries often withheld for imagined offenses, sometimes for years at a time. Riyshi economic codes, Hisbah, as known elsewhere in the Islamic world, allowed such power from the owner of a business, and gave little recourse. As a result, many workers fled to the periphery of Riyshi society or to the edge of the Arab world altogether to work as bandits, frontiersmen, or simple settlers, necessitating a constant supply of new migrants to take up the lost spaces. It was a common task of ghazi bands, hired by merchants, to seek out groups of migrants and return them to the authorities for punishment, and the repayment of the merchant’s losses. Often the punishment for abandoning one’s contract with their manager was the suspension of their salary, effectively reducing this worker to a state of slavery. At the same time, being Arabs and members of the ummah, they were still required to pay zakat (which was zealously observed in the Riysh), provided their wealth was above a certain point. Once their salary was reinstated, they were required to pay the accrued zakat debt they had built up while they were below that minimum level, trapping these workers in a cycle of debt they could never pull out of. The Riyshi economy was a society built on the coerced labor of debtors.

Trade Routes

The seas of the Riysh (for the Arabs came to think of the region as possessing three separate seas), were the superhighways of their day. Fleets of bulky trade galleys, built out and fitted to carry vast amounts of cargo, departed the ports on the mainland before stopping at Riyshi ports and then sailing to Iberia. Ships carrying supplies, migrants, and manufactured goods departed from Iberian ports and sailed to the Riysh.

There were two major inbound routes into the New World, one that sailed from the ports in southern Iberia, primarily Seville and Cadiz, to the Emirate of Kinaru off the African coast (where the local rulers acted as nominal clients of the Arabs), and then to the Riysh. A typical transatlantic crossing on a Moorish albarmil galleon could take from 6 weeks to several months, with poor food, claustrophobic conditions and bad hygiene taking its gradual toll on the passengers. Many European ships came to Iberia, paying a fee to be able to work the transatlantic trade routes. Especially ships from Italy, which sailed first to Cadiz and then along the route to Kinaru (Canarie in Italian). The main stopping off point once in the Riysh was in Buhiyya along the eastern coast of Boriken. From here most ships either loaded goods directly in port or sailed to Muluka to load sugar and cotton. Many ships also sailed southwest to the Yucatan to load goods like lumber, pelts, and slaves. Ships sailing to Mexico were largely as part of the mineral trade, carrying gold and silver between the coast and the Riysh. The second, and younger route, was from the Iberian ports and Kinaru to the Brazilian coast. Many ships would often sail first to the southern Riysh and the ports on Ganaym before plying the coast southeast towards the Burkuan colonies, thus avoiding open ocean travel. This route was fraught with danger, the regions coast a dense mess of swamps populated by often hostile tribes. While still relatively underexploited as of the mid-16th century, it was in the midst of rapid economic development nonetheless. This route also saw some traffic pass through the isolated outpost of Zamaridia [Cape Verde], previously a stopping point for ships sailing down the African coast.

Outbound trade towards Iberia was strictly supervised by colonial authorities, the transatlantic crossing hardly a venture to sniff at. Most ships departing from Mexico, the Yucatan, or the Guianan coast passed through the ports at Boriken, largely at Buhuq before curving sharply west to take the gulf stream currents back to Iberia. This was because up through the 16th century, the cities on Boriken were the largest with the best developed ports, and because Riyshi authorities required ship captains to pay off local tariffs there before departing to Iberia. Many captains plying the trade routes between the Riysh and the mainland used a multi-stop itinerary, wherein a ship would carry goods from Mexico to the Yucatan, trade them out, sail to the Riysh, exchange goods again, and then pick up Riyshi goods for the trip to Iberia, accruing a marginal profit at each leg of the journey. This made the trip more profitable overall to compensate for the travel time. Ships carrying goods like coins bound directly for Iberia sailed through the Yasfa strait [Windward Passage], though this was less common, as pirates often hid in among the southerly Guhanan Islands [Bahamas].

Some ships, wishing to either cut their travel time or to avoid Riyshi tariffs, used the aptly named Strait of Al-Qirsan, the Strait of Pirates, along the coast of Al-Niblu to catch the gulf stream directly. This strait, nestled between two territories that saw little to no effective administration on the ground, was favorable to smugglers and pirates, hence the name. Ships sailing through this passage risked piracy, but also could shave significant time off their voyage, and avoid officials cutting a portion of their profits. The usage of this strait grew throughout the period, to the point where in the early 16th century a large fort was constructed at the city of Mahite to control the area, though illegal commerce continued largely unabated. Many slaveships working the western coast of Al-Niblu would cut across this passage to sell their human cargo on the western shore of Sayadin, Mahite the largest market. Mahite became such a center of slavery, theft, and general illegal business that it became the byword for Moorish moral decay in Europe, the “whore of Mahode” a common trope in morality plays dealing with Muslims.

Piracy and Law

Where there is trade, there is piracy. The first pirates in the Riysh were simple native raiders or Arab bandits, eking out an existence on the margins of the vulnerable Arab settlements. Native piracy, carried out by bands of Karbi and Tayni warriors, was a significant driving factor in the rise of the Ghazi families in the first place. Native warriors, sailing into Arab camps from the water or ambushing from the jungles, were infamous for rapacious looting and killing, and the kidnapping of settlers for admixture into their own tribes. Later pirates were Arab and mixed-Arab bandits, often drawn from the large pool of migrant workers that formed the underclass of Riyshi society. By the 16th century, piracy was a serious problem in the Riysh. Pirate fleets controlled large swathes of the smaller island chains in the region, and held monopolistic control over entire areas of Arab settlement, fleeing to coastal jungles and swamps if pressed by the authorities. They used small, swift ships, primarily retrofitted fishing boats of similar design to the Yemeni dhow, with lateen sails and light wood construction. Pirates also commonly used native log canoes, which could easily be concealed when not in use and were usable in almost any waterway. This tendency to use native tools and tactics earned Arab pirates the colloquial name Al-Karibi, a direct callback to the native raiders that had plagued early settlers.

Individual pirate ships were unable to take on any large vessel without considerable luck, but it was not long before large groups of pirates began to work as organized fleets to maximize their successes. These pirate fleets operated like businesses, extracting goods from local populations and even had internal systems of law to distribute profits and settle disputes between individual captains. The largest of these in the 16th century was the fleet of the pirate Idris Ibn Mulai Al-Jufi, the son of a prominent Mulukan businessman who took to piracy after financial failings, and who eventually controlled a fleet of almost 100 ships, and controlled what was essentially a personal fiefdom along the southeastern Niblan coast. In his raids along the coast of Sayadin, Shaymukh, and Muluk he went so far as to siege multiple fortified settlements, march his army inland to take whole towns, and even extorted the regional governor of the island of Sayadin into granting him title as the “defender of the faith”. Idris Ibn Mulai built his fortune not purely out of piracy, but-like other pirate captains of this era-out of business ventures. He managed a large network of slave-traders and even ran cotton plantations in the Riysh under aliases. Men like him were a constant thorn in the side of the Riyshi elite, though both groups were likely more similar than they were different.

Pirates were daring raiders, and men like Idris epitomized the swaggering bravado of the period. Pirate vessels would attack a merchant ship in a number of ways. Sometimes it was as simple as waiting for a ship to make port at a smaller settlement that the pirates could then corner the ship and ambush from the land, or they would attack at sea: circling it in their boats and boarding it to attack the crew in a general melee. Merchant vessels were often equipped with cannons, and the crew had access to a locker under the deck that carried emergency weapons such as crossbows, muskets, spears and daggers. Some larger vessels had contingents of marines hired out from the colonial government. In combat pirates would fight with any weapon at their disposal, though they favored smaller weapons that wouldn't be bulky in close combat, especially short stabbing spike daggers called mukyanat (sing. makyan). Pirates also carried bombs and even rockets at times, fashioned from bamboo and loaded with gunpowder to send frightening flares of smoke and fire at their target.

Once a ship was captured the crews fate was up to the whim of the captain, though it was more common than not to drop the crew off at the nearest land (after thoroughly fleecing them for their goods of course), rather than executing them. Rich passengers would be held for ransom, and the cargo subdivided among the victors. The ship would be given to a subordinate and taken into the pirate fleet or sunk. Many pirates kept captured ships to sell their raw materials to natives, who would eagerly buy the metal in the ships nails to use as workable iron. Unlike colonial officials, pirates had largely no qualms about selling horses, weapons, and armor to natives in exchange for local goods (or often, local women), which became one major avenue for how old world technology gradually penetrated native trade networks far beyond the intent of Riyshi officials. It is highly likely that some of the horses that made their way to the hands of the Mexica in the late 15th and early 16th century arrived there from creatures originally traded by Arab pirates on the northern Mexican coast.

Legal Penalties

The punishments for piracy were severe. Piracy was defined early on in the Ayshunid state (as part of Yusuf Muhammads relentless, if largely futile efforts to root out pirates in the Mediterranean), as forcible theft at sea, inland waterways, or in port. Pirates were classified as bandits, with the only distinction the sort of environment they were carrying out their activities in. Piracy against Muslims in particular was considered haram, and carried especially hefty punishments. Piracy against non-Muslims, especially Christians and pagans was on the whole less common, since it was more difficult to legally frame those actions as piracy (many pirates defined themselves as ghazis in the traditional sense, and loot taken from non-Muslims as ‘spoils of war’ mughannam). There were two sorts of legally defined groups relating to piracy: pirates, and those who affiliated and profited from them.

It was heavily discouraged to conduct business with known pirates or their affiliates. One Hisbah manual from late 15th century Muluka states: “those shops of those accused of piracy must be held up, and removed from the owners until the proper law courts have determined their innocence, or guilt thereof…”. Authorities often seized properties of those suspected to be aiding pirates, which in and of itself led to difficulties, as the authorities were rarely acting as an impartial third party between businesses. Still, those elites accused of piracy could expect a decently fair trial under the circumstances of the time, with the most common punishment for aiding a pirate the confiscation of their property and bodily mutilation (the loss of a hand as if the accused was a common thief).

In the Riyshi legal system, which fundamentally was based on shariah law (more specifically a Malikite interpretation of it), the crime was prosecuted differently depending on whether or not the accused had been a pirate themselves or had profited from stolen goods or had aided pirates. In the latter case, it was considered different as in, that man who profited from stolen goods also accepted the business of unwitting partners unaware of their illegal dealings, therefore stealing those men’s wealth through stealth. The pirate himself though, was treated differently since he had taken his wealth by force in open sight and so was a bandit, not a thief. The punishment for pirates was most often imprisonment until repentance, exile (this primarily meant the notoriously dangerous Panamanian coast), and/or bodily mutilation, primarily the right arm at the elbow or the left leg at the knee. (If the pirate was successfully convicted of piracy against non-Muslims, they would be fined severely and/or imprisoned. Mutilation was only an applicable punishment against Muslims). Riyshi courts were even crueler to repeat offenders, who faced crucifixion if caught. It was common to see a row of emaciated corpses mounted on crosses atop a hill when sailing into the port of Buhuq, the infamous Tal al-Yarqa, the “hill of maggots”.

1550 Map of the Riysh with Major Arab Settlements and Trade Routes Marked

fyyl0Ni.jpg

this map has a lot of small captions on it, click the map to zoom in and see the best detail

The next update will be of similar subject but will center on Mexico and the Yucatan

Last edited:
Oh wow, are there so many things to unpack here. :eek:

In general, it looks like the Riysh is becoming the Islamic world’s version of Renaissance Italy and colonial Spanish America/Southeast Asia, complete with trading classes and bonded labourers and native states at the periphery, mucking it all. The whole system of commerce down there is breaking many established rules, so I wonder if there has been any attempts by outsiders/locals to codify the Riyshi capitalist-corporatist system of trade. Or is that a few centuries too early? Besides that, the separatism of the Riyshi Arabs is intriguing as the Andalusians depend on them greatly for trade yet also look down on them as troublemakers. If both sides don’t see eye to eye on future regional issues, I feel something is going to give.

The wealthy families do remind me a bit of the Italian Medici and Sforza, but they also remind me more of the Peranakan class of Southeast Asia: Rich, distinct, and holding powerful connections to established authority (albeit without the use of hezzis). In time, I can see them viewing each other as part of the same ‘strata’ of society, and marrying their sons and daughters to each other to ensure their continuation of their business ventures within their families. Given their wealth and relative power, they might even conduct high-level politics with the native states that goes against Ayshunid policy. I wonder if they would also form their own creole language of Riyshi Arab, blended with local terms and peppered with class-specific slang the same way Bahasa Baba was to Southeast Asian Peranakans. It would certainly add to their feelings of being distant and separatist from Iberia.

No surprises on the cash crop economy, but very much so on the absence of African slaves working the fields. Of course, the Ayshunids have a vastly different view of African races and such, but I thought there would be at least a sizable section of underclass labour brought from the Sub-Sahara. If the bulk of the labour force is Arab or Moor-mixed stock, that means the Trans-Atlantic slave trade is either curbed or not thought off as a potential money-spinner or labour resource as OTL. Though with that said, we don’t know how the future holds, and the jury’s out on the French and Spanish colonies further up north, which (I’m sure) are looking for alternate ways to make money for low cost.

As for the trade routes and pirates, I’m guessing future movies will show Moorish dhows instead of Spanish galleons as every swashbuckler’s ship du jour? XD It’s a given that the amount of trade and precious metals moving out from the Riysh would attract trouble, but it’s interesting to see how it all plays out here. Mahite in particular seems to be shaping up as an alternate Port Royal, albeit without the booze. The fact that the pirates may be the ones to sell donkeys and what not to the Mexica is another surprise, since that means European technology and advantages are best transferred wherever pirates make their rounds. Did they also sell gunpowder to the Mexica and nearby states? Other than that, I am greatly anticipating the upcoming war between Spain, France, and the Ayshunids. After all, sold-laden dhows are just as attractive as Spanish galleons to belligerent parties.

P.S: Rice as a staple crop? So… no corn? No tortillas? :(

Oh wow, are there so many things to unpack here. :eek:

In general, it looks like the Riysh is becoming the Islamic world’s version of Renaissance Italy and colonial Spanish America/Southeast Asia, complete with trading classes and bonded labourers and native states at the periphery, mucking it all. The whole system of commerce down there is breaking many established rules, so I wonder if there has been any attempts by outsiders/locals to codify the Riyshi capitalist-corporatist system of trade. Or is that a few centuries too early? Besides that, the separatism of the Riyshi Arabs is intriguing as the Andalusians depend on them greatly for trade yet also look down on them as troublemakers. If both sides don’t see eye to eye on future regional issues, I feel something is going to give.

The wealthy families do remind me a bit of the Italian Medici and Sforza, but they also remind me more of the Peranakan class of Southeast Asia: Rich, distinct, and holding powerful connections to established authority (albeit without the use of hezzis). In time, I can see them viewing each other as part of the same ‘strata’ of society, and marrying their sons and daughters to each other to ensure their continuation of their business ventures within their families. Given their wealth and relative power, they might even conduct high-level politics with the native states that goes against Ayshunid policy. I wonder if they would also form their own creole language of Riyshi Arab, blended with local terms and peppered with class-specific slang the same way Bahasa Baba was to Southeast Asian Peranakans. It would certainly add to their feelings of being distant and separatist from Iberia.

No surprises on the cash crop economy, but very much so on the absence of African slaves working the fields. Of course, the Ayshunids have a vastly different view of African races and such, but I thought there would be at least a sizable section of underclass labour brought from the Sub-Sahara. If the bulk of the labour force is Arab or Moor-mixed stock, that means the Trans-Atlantic slave trade is either curbed or not thought off as a potential money-spinner or labour resource as OTL. Though with that said, we don’t know how the future holds, and the jury’s out on the French and Spanish colonies further up north, which (I’m sure) are looking for alternate ways to make money for low cost.

As for the trade routes and pirates, I’m guessing future movies will show Moorish dhows instead of Spanish galleons as every swashbuckler’s ship du jour? XD It’s a given that the amount of trade and precious metals moving out from the Riysh would attract trouble, but it’s interesting to see how it all plays out here. Mahite in particular seems to be shaping up as an alternate Port Royal, albeit without the booze. The fact that the pirates may be the ones to sell donkeys and what not to the Mexica is another surprise, since that means European technology and advantages are best transferred wherever pirates make their rounds. Did they also sell gunpowder to the Mexica and nearby states? Other than that, I am greatly anticipating the upcoming war between Spain, France, and the Ayshunids. After all, sold-laden dhows are just as attractive as Spanish galleons to belligerent parties.

P.S: Rice as a staple crop? So… no corn? No tortillas? :(

There are attempts at codification, but there has yet to be a Iberian ruler who has taken a serious look at Riyshi economics beyond simply preserving the cash flow, so any top-down restructuring hasn't happened yet. Bit too early for that. You are right, something is going to give.....There already has been one rebellion, and its heroes are martyrs in the minds of many Riyshis. All it will take is Iberian twisting the knife a bit and the whole situation will explode. Only reason Iberia hasn't done anything about the Riysh is because, for all their difficulty - they are making Iberians very, very rich and money makes a convincing argument for peace.

Even by the mid 1400s there is already a Riyshi creole language thats a blend of Taino, various mainland languages and Arabic, but the Riyshi upper class speaks Arabic, albeit with some local loanwords and a accent. Andalusians already have a accent even by the fall of Al-Andalus OTL so its even worse ATL: imagine someone from lebanon trying to understand Moroccan darija today with all its loanwords and phonological shifts, should give you a idea.

They consider themselves Arabs, but there is a growing ethnic rift especially as native blood disseminates through the upper strata of society. The large majority of the Riyshi population is either mixed-race, macaronesian or native Arabs, so over time Iberian Arabs are becoming more and more distant culturally and genetically.

In Al-Andalus, slaves could be either christian, or black african. Many domestic slaves were christian while military slaves were african. In the Ayshunid period, there were still many christian slaves but the christian slave trade petered out as their became a more stable truce between the Ayshunids and Castile (except for whenever there was a period of war, when the slave trade would rocket up again). The Qaranids regularly sold african slaves to Al-Andalus, and slave raiders along the african coast replenished Iberia as well. Generally, black slaves went to Iberia while Christians were sent to Macaronesia or southern Iberia (Granada). There is no substantial trans-atlantic slave trade in this timeline yet, because the Riyshi economy is working well enough on its existing system. Most slaves in the Riysh by 1500 would actually still be natives, with Christians and blacks working as domestic servants such as concubines. (Maybe I should do a update just on the 'ayedi to examine that social strata in detail, along with slavery in general)

Black slaves just aren't thought of as the sort of labor source they were seen in OTL, whether or not that changes depends on the economic conditions of the region but as of 1500, your average Riyshi plantation is worked by mixed-race Arab farmers, while the owner is fanned by Christian and African slave girls. Its a very oppressive system, just oppressive to different groups of people. A rough approximation of the way Riyshi farm labor is done is the system of indentured servitude used in colonial New England.

Mahite is very much like Port Royal, and there is still plenty of booze to go around (surprisingly many of these brigands are not especially devout). Pirates in general make a solid percentage of their wealth by trading with native peoples, in effect shuttling goods from the Riysh to native rulers at a hefty markup. Many native tribes aid pirates and work with them against Riyshi authorities. Wherever there are pirates, there is a higher chance the local native people will have Riyshi goods they technically shouldn't have (which is why so many natives ally with pirates in the first place, it gets them into the loop). Its harder to sell gunpowder because its not as visibly useful as something like a horse or a steel axe, to many natives its just a powder that sparks up in smoke and flame if you put a fire on it, how does that improve your daily life? Natives largely lack the capabilities to maintain and use gunpowder weaponry anyways. If the Aztecs are just barely figuring out horses by the late 1400s, you aren't going to have random native peoples in texas and florida firing muskets anytime soon.

P.S: Theres plenty of corn to go around in Mexico and the Yucatan, its just not a big crop in the Riysh.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will see andalusi and riyshi arabic develop into more of a separate language (like maltese) and less of a dialect of arabic, i guess it probably will depend on how willing mainland andalusia is to adopt new world and latin vocabulary.

Ps. love the maps really detailed and very helpful to visualise the story being told and to refer back to when confused about locations described without having to trawl through text.

I wonder if we will see andalusi and riyshi arabic develop into more of a separate language (like maltese) and less of a dialect of arabic, i guess it probably will depend on how willing mainland andalusia is to adopt new world and latin vocabulary.

Ps. love the maps really detailed and very helpful to visualise the story being told and to refer back to when confused about locations described without having to trawl through text.

Over time Riyshi Arabic will become very divergent from old world Arabic but the upper class will, barring some form of nativist linguistic nationalism, continue to speak a accented, almost archaic form of Arabic (like Brazilian portuguese for example). Given another 200 years of linguistic drift without significant interruption, by 1700 the language of the Riyshi lower classes would be, or very nearly, a separate unintelligible language from Arabic. By 1500 there is a creole but it is more of a trade language than a native tongue of the bulk of the Riyshi Arabic population, though certain groups would speak it, and in general lower class Riyshis in 1500 would speak a very distinctively seperate form of Arabic from even Andalusian dialects. The closest you would see to a truly distinct language in 1500 would be the language of the surviving natives and the mixed-race rural peasants in the Riysh, since it would have a much heftier pull from native Caribbean languages away from Arabic.

Mainland Andalusian Arabic adopts a lot of sounds and vocabulary from Castilian and Aragonese (which happened OTL to some extent in Andalusian Arabic before 1492), and that trend will continue again, barring some significant social movement one way or another. If you looked at a map of linguistic sub-groups and dialect continuums in Arabic say, in 1500 you would see Maghrebi Arabic as one large cluster of dialects, Andalusian Arabic as one cluster, and then Riyshi Arabic as another cluster, with various trade languages and pidgins smattered throughout it.

To a traveler in 1500 who starts in Baghdad, for example, they would be able to easily converse with a educated man in Seville, albeit he would notice the Sevillian had a accent, and used some odd words here and there, and maybe phrased a sentence or two a bit strangely (like a American speaking to a educated Englishman). If he sailed to the Canary islands, he would have a harder time, but still he would be able to hold a conversation fine. Then, if he was in Mahite, he could sit down and work his way through a chat with a local administrator, though he would have trouble adjusting to the mans thick, colonial accent and many of the words for native objects would be entirely unfamiliar to him. If he stepped out of that mans house and spoke to a passing peasant in the street, he would likely only get the general gist of what he was saying, and many of the sayings and local phrases would be entirely garbled gibberish. Lastly, if he talked to a mixed-race or fully indigenous native living in one of the villages in the region, he would have trouble recognizing the native tongue as Arabic outside of a few choice words and phrases.

Is there no Riyshi Amazigh dialect?

Very few Berbers live in the Riysh, and those that do generally are assimilated into arabic. There might be some small communities of Amazigh-speaking Berbers in the Riysh but its not a significant minority at all.

Last edited:
As long as franco castillian relations remain good it will probably be quite difficult for other european powers to establish a presence in north america.

Later developing powers like england could potentially go for the southern cone, the ayshunids will not have the same advantage in south america that the spanish did by wiping out the inca quickly and have a limited number of settlers available so having parts of argentina/chile being colonised by a different power seems likely from what we've seen so far.