1512 - Eleanor of Burgundy
Archduchess Eleanor of Austria-Burgundy was the eldest daughter and first child of Philip the Fair of Burgundy and Joanna I of Castile, and without any doubt the greatest match in circulation, but that was not enough for save her from heartbreaks, starting with the total absence of any remembrance of her parents: her paternal aunt Margaret, who was her warden, was the only parent of which she and her siblings had memory, while Emperor Maximilian, Margaret’s father, was their sort of very absent father figure.

Growing up Eleanor had always knew who she was destined to marry extremely well and her engagement to Henry, Prince of Wales and future King of England in 1507 was heavily celebrated in Burgundy and by the eight years old Eleanor, who started to see the sixteen years old prince, as her loyal knight. After all if England was in her destiny, for what reason she would have not start to put all her hopes for the future in that match? Unluckily for Eleanor, she was still only 10 years old when Henry VII of England, father of her husband-to-be, died and the new 18 years King of England had no intention to wait until she will be old for marrying and worse he was fixated with another woman: his elder brother’s widow Catherine of Aragon, who was six years older than him and under any aspect (excluding her physical aspect and the fact who she was already of age) a worse match than Eleanor, who had better connections, a higher dowry and was a more prestigious match. Still marrying Catherine was among the first things Henry had done after becoming King, breaking Eleanor’s heart and destroying her hopes.
Trying to console her unlucky niece Margaret told her who if King Henry had used his head for choosing his bride, he would have kept his word and married Eleanor, but who Catherine had surely manipulated him for satisfying her ambition and who they would likely pay for that. Margaret also had suffered that fate, in a worse way than Eleanor, because she had actually knew Charles VIII for many years and trusted him, but she had learned her lesson and gained an healthy hatred for France once, finally, returned at home. After that she had married twice and had been happy, the first time to a great prince, the heir of Spain, and after his death (and the loss of another crown promised to her) and returning at home, she had been so lucky to be able to marry her true love (who had also tried to console her and offered to be her knight, at the time of Charles’ betrayal) as Philibert had unexpectedly inherited Savoy and became widowed of the cousin who his father had married to him and Maximilian had reputed him an ally worthy to receive his daughter as wife but sadly they had only few short years of total happiness together.

Eleanor had promised to her aunt to be good and continue to hope in the future and do not worry about it as a princess like her would surely made a great match as soon she was old enough, and she would do her best for keeping that promise. Still her dislike of England was becoming well know, at the point who her brother, young Charles, Duke of Burgundy and “heir of too many lands for naming all of them” had quickly learned to not talk about his own betrothed, the English Princess Mary, around his sister “as Eleanor is just jealous who her betrothed had chosen another, while I will marry my princess“ as 12 years old Charles would explain to the young daughter of the English ambassador who had recently joined Margaret’s household and was surprised by the Archduchess‘ cold treatment, that while his next sister ,11 years Isabella, giggled and said who Eleanor needed only time for adjusting to her presence and who she would become warmer with time...

Last edited:
I know, starting another TL (one for which I have no definite plan) while I have still a lot of work to do with Lotharingia is a bad idea. Still inspiration for this story hit me pretty hard and refuted to go away before I had written something for it. The unlucky Eleanor of Austria had always fascinated me, specially the long list of missed or not concluded match and her two marriages, without doubt unsatisfying for a princess of her rank. So I started to think first to what would happen if either Henry VIII married her or Henry also died early while Edmund survived and married Eleanor and then I started to think to something else, who is this TL

Can't wait to see what happens in this timeline!
I will see what I can do... Still here you will see an Henry who will not be exactly happy with his religious findings as they will say to him something who, well, he will not like at all... And keep an eye for the daughter of the English Ambassador to Burgundy as she is destined to be an important character here

I will see what I can do... Still here you will see an Henry who will not be exactly happy with his religious findings as they will say to him something who, well, he will not like at all... And keep an eye for the daughter of the English Ambassador to Burgundy as she is destined to be an important character here
It wouldn't be Henry if he wasn't involved in a scandal.

1513 - Anne Boleyn in Mechelen
Anne Boleyn, daughter of Sir Thomas Boleyn, English ambassador in Burgundy, knew to be extremely lucky: she had barely believed to her father when, already more than a year earlier, he had informed her, in one of his visits to home, who she was to depart with him for Burgundy as had secured her a place as maid of honor in the household of Archduchess Margaret, as receiving such honor and at only 10 years old was quite rare. She would act not only as maid of honor for the Archduchess but also as companion for her young nieces and wards: the eldest, Eleanor, was four years older than Anne, while the second girl, Isabella, was less than a year older than her, and Anne had quickly become one of the favorite companions of both, something rather surprising at least for Eleanor who, not only was much older but had also developed an understandable dislike for anything related to England after her own aunt had stolen her crown and fiancé.
Eleanor and Isabella had a brother, Charles, Duke of Burgundy and “heir of too many lands for naming all of them ” as he was used to say, between them in age and another sister, Mary, four years younger than Isabella [well, in truth the Archduchesses had another brother, Ferdinand, between Isabella and Mary, and a youngest sister, Catherine, but they were born in Spain and lived there, under the care of their other grandfather and as they had never meet was like they do not existed at all].

Anne‘s own hopes for the future were to remain in the Netherlands for long time and as she was unlikely to keep a place in Margaret’s household for long time she (and her father) hoped to obtain for her, in the near future, a transfer in the household of Princess Mary of England, future bride of Archduke Charles, once she arrived in Burgundy as Duchess and surely being among the favorites of Archduchess Margaret and of her nieces would help her to reach that.
For now her life was made of studies, hopes and games with the Archduchesses and their other companions and what Anne truly hoped most (and for which she prayed every night) was not sharing the fate of the Archduchesses Margaret and Eleanor in having her heart broken and hopes dashed by someone who decided to play with her life without any consideration for her.

Last edited:
what Anne truly hoped most (and for which she prayed every night) was not sharing the fate of the Archduchesses Margaret and Eleanor in having her heart broken and hopes dashed by someone who decided to play with her life without any consideration for her.
Why do I feel like that’s exactly what’s going to happen to Anne...