A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 324: India

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 324: India

August, 1757

“You have come a long way on a thin promise.” Shivaji said to the man standing before him.

“I have come, Your Imperial Majesty with the hope that our two Kingdoms may be able to renew ties of friendship.” The man said to him, his Sanskrit slightly accented.

“And what do you have to offer us for this?” Shivaji asked.

“The opportunity to drive out the English from your lands, Your Imperial Majesty.” The man said.

“How?” Shivaji asked. He did not mind the English, they paid their duties on time and they had helped train his soldiers, but some of his ministers argued they were a threat to the long term stability of the Empire, and as such, he had to consider his options.

“They are planning on expanding passed the confines of Surat and Bombay, Your Imperial Majesty.” The man said. “My spies have learned that they intend to make offers to the Rajput Princes and to provide them with arms and money to rebel against Your Imperial Majesty.”

“Why?” Shivaji asked, not sure if the man was being honest or lying through his teeth, he had heard nothing of this.

“Because they sense an opportunity, Sire, and they know that the Rajputs hunger for war.” The man said.

“And how reliable is this information?” Shivaji asked.

“Very, Sire.” The man replied, he pulled out a letter from his pocket and handed it to one of Shivaji’s guards who handed it to him. Shivaji looked at it and sighed.

“How would you propose we handle this issue?” He asked.

“An allied strike on British territory, Your Imperial Majesty.” The man said. “With Your Imperial Majesty’s permission I shall order the French soldiers stationed in our towns to prepare to deploy, we can then meet at a halfway point and strike out from there.”

Shivaji shook his head. “No that would take too long. We shall order our navy to attack Bombay, and send our own troops to take Surat.”

The man looked surprised and also worried by this. “Sire…”

“The British have a town called Fort St George in the south, if your men can take that it is yours.” Shivaji said.

The man’s eyes widened and then he bowed his head. “Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty.”

Shivaji nodded, waved a hand and said. “We shall inform you when we have devised an appropriate plan.” The man bowed and departed, leaving Shivaji to wonder what he might have just gotten himself in for.

I wonder if the French battle plan just went out of the window?

I also wonder if Shivaji will simply tell the British what the French are planning and use it as a way to expand his power into French holdings?

VVD0D95

Banned
I wonder if the French battle plan just went out of the window?

I also wonder if Shivaji will simply tell the British what the French are planning and use it as a way to expand his power into French holdings?

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, Shivaji's been around a long time, he'd ideally like both the French and British gone, but the French have just offered him something on a silver plate.

Chapter 325: Matchbox

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 325: Matchbox

November, 1757

“You’re telling us that the Swedish King is deliberately being provocative?” Frederick asked.

“It would seem so, Sire.” Count Waldemar said. “He has received support from France and exclusive trading rights with them as well as with Poland.”

“And this has emboldened him?” Frederick asked.

“It would seem so.” Waldemar said.

Frederick wanted to groan, of course something like this would happen now of all times. Just when he had thought they’d avoided being swept up into the conflict engulfing western Europe, something new came along. “How serious would the damage be?”

“Sire?” Waldemar asked.

“How serious would the damage be if we got involved in a war?” Frederick asked.

“To our finances?” Waldemar replied. “It would depend on how long we fought for. To our army, if we went up against Sweden alone, we would lose.”

Frederick sighed, that wasn’t exactly encouraging. He’d tried to avoid letting the army stagnate, but it seemed that it had. Still, all was not lost. “We still have allies though do we not?”

“We do, Sire.” Count Waldemar replied. “Russia and Prussia have both expressed an interest in dealing with Sweden’s Empire, and Britannia has expressed an interest in preventing France grow dominant in the region.”

“And how soon could Russia mobilise?” Frederick asked, he wondered if the Russian army could overpower the Swedish one through sheer numbers, and if so, whether that might be the strategy to adopt.

“Within a few months, Sire. Our ambassador reports they’ve been slowly doing so.” Waldemar said.

“Then we must prepare our own army.” Frederick said. “If we are to take advantage of the situation now, we must show that we ourselves are ready to take action when called to do so.”

“How many men shall we need, Sire?” Waldemar asked.

“The regular army is roughly 20,000 men.” Frederick said, remembering the figures he’d looked at a few months ago. “We shall need another five thousand men to make things sustainable.”

“Very well, I shall write up the order at once.” Waldemar said.

“Good, and make sure that the companies are prepared by March, we do not want anything to go amiss.” Frederick said, he didn’t want to be caught with his pants down.

Chapter 326: Whirlwinds Of Time

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 326: Whirlwinds Of Time

April, 1758

“So, you’re telling me the mighty British army was defeated?” Leopold Charles, Archduke of Flanders asked.

“It would seem so, Sire.” Karl Linge his chief minister said.

“How?” Leopold demanded, he had always thought the Britannic army was unbeatable.

“It seems that the Duc de Berry led them on a wild goose chase around the border before eventually forcing them to fight on ground that they didn’t like.” Karl answered.

“And so they lost.” Leopold said. “What of the army under the command of Field Marshal du Plessis?” The man was his most experienced commander and someone he wanted winning regularly.

“They are marching to Ostend to meet with the remains of the Britannic army.” Linge said.

“And from there they will march on the Brussels line, as we commanded.” Leopold said.

“Exactly, Sire.” Linge replied.

“And what of the Dutch? Has that miserly bastard Orange bestirred himself yet?” Leopold asked, the Prince of Orange was many things but proactive was not one of them.

“His Highness the Prince of Orange has sent word saying that he intends to let the Dutch Fleet aid the Britannic fleet during the oncoming fighting in the Channel and the North Sea. And that he intends to raise more regiments.” Linge said.

“That will take months then. Months of time in which the French could well breach the Brussels Line and take the city.” Leopold said. He didn’t fear much, but being a prisoner at the hands of the French? That was not something he wanted.

“Perhaps then it might be time to consider a solution, Sire.” Linge said.

“A solution?” Leopold replied. “You mean like the plan you proposed earlier?”

“Yes, Sire. I think it is a reasonable thing to prepare for.” Linge said.

“No, absolutely not. I will not go scampering off to the Netherlands just because the French wolf is at the door. I will not abandon my people.” Leopold said.

“Even if doing so may enable you to continue the fight from abroad, Sire?” Linge asked.

“If I am abroad, the fight has died. I will not go.” Leopold replied. “And if you propose this again I will have you executed for treason.”

Linge bowed his head. “My apologies, Sire.”

Leopold waved a hand signalling that all was forgotten, but he made a mental note to keep Linge watched. If the man showed any signs of fleeing, he’d have him killed.

Chapter 327: Rowley

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 327: Rowley

August, 1758

His orders had been simple, protect Florida from the French, ensure they couldn’t land a single ship on the coastline of the Spanish colony. The reality was much more difficult. The French had brought what seemed like an Armada to take the colony, and the twenty-five ships he had with him from the Jamaica Station were nowhere near enough to fight off this bombardment.

Other ships had been sent northwards to the lands of Quebec to try and rest the province from the French whilst other ships were patrolling the eastern seaboard to prevent the French from trying to take New York or other such colonies. And thus here he was, his ship shaking and his bones rattling as the cannons fired off one after the other and as ships smashed into one another desperately trying to get something, anything to break.

“The French are still pushing hard, Admiral.” Captain Parker said.

“How many have we lost now?” William asked.

“Somewhere between six and seven ships, Admiral.” Parker said.

“We are going to have to hold firm until reinforcements can come.” William said, he had written a letter and sent it by bird as quickly as he could figure out the situation.

“I am not sure if we will be able to hold, Admiral.” Parker said.

William sighed. “You think our line will break before we have the chance to get reinforcements?”

Before Parker could respond, a cannon ball hit the ship nearest them, before another one hit it and sunk it. William heard the cries of the crew and said a prayer, this was not going well. He took a breath and then said. “Prepare the ship, we’re going in.”

“Admiral?” Parker asked, surprised.

“We are not going to let others die around us whilst we sit here. I am the commander of this battle group, and I will not allow more of my men to die.” William barked. He moved to the front of the ship. “Now let us set sail.”

“Yes, Admiral.” Parker responded, he heard the man bark out a series of orders and felt the ship begin to move.

William knew then as the ship moved and he saw what was happening before him, that he likely wouldn’t survive this encounter, and that the French may well land on Florida, but he would be damned if he was going to let them take it without a fight. He was not some weakling after all, he was a subject of His Britannic Majesty and he was going to fight.

“Ram ahead!” William barked. The order was passed down the line and the ship picked up speed before it rammed into the opposing ship, the ship pulled back and then did the same again and again, another ship fired off a cannon and the thing hit his ship. He could feel the thing begin to groan under the strain. He drew his pistol and then said. “For the King!”

Chapter 328: Austria, Worry

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 328: Austria, Worry

December, 1758

“We think the threat of the Ottomans is greater than the French incursion.” Leopold said. “We cannot allow them to threaten our flank.” Reports had come in that the Sultan was finally moving off his arse and was preparing an invasion into Croatia. If such a thing did happen, Leopold wanted to be ready to meet him in the field, to finally destroy the threat.

“But, our allies will want reassurances that there will be pressure exerted on the French King, Sire.” Rudolf Neuburg replied. “After all, the Elector Palatinate has given much to fighting the French.”

“And it is because of that man’s efforts that King Louis is now looking at the Rhine as a potential field of battle, beforehand he was content to fight in Flanders.” Leopold said, he knew he should have considered sending men to aid his cousin in Flanders, but the area was just so far away.

“Do you not think it is worth aiding the fight on the Rhine, Sire?” Rudolf asked.

Leopold bit back a sigh, he knew why Neuburg was so desperate to get involved in the potential action on the Rhine, his mother had once been mistress to the Elector, and as such he felt a familial tie to the man, even if the Elector had never actually claimed him. He was smart, was Rudolf, but he was a bit easy to pull on. “We believe that our energies would be better spent dealing with the Ottomans.”

Before Rudolf could speak though, Leopold’s son, Joseph, King of the Romans spoke. “Perhaps, we could send an army to the Rhine, Sire? Whilst keeping an army prepared for the Ottomans.”

Leopold raised an eyebrow. “Who would command?” He didn’t want his son taking the field, the younger man had done well during his last campaign, but Leopold was old and he knew he didn’t’ have long left. He wanted his heir in Vienna for when the day came.

“Archduke Leopold could command the army on the Rhine, to show that we are committed, whilst Archduke Joseph could command the army that fights the Ottomans?” Joseph suggested.

Leopold had to admit that his son had made a valid point, Both men were capable and were smart enough to not rub the other generals in the army the wrong way. “Very well, we shall give the orders to ensure that they are both prepared for what they must do.”

“Thank you, Sire.” Neuburg said with barely disguised delight.

“But we shall not want a long war with France, our focus is the Ottomans.” Leopold added.

“Of course, Sire.” Neuburg said.

“Good.” Leopold said, feeling the ache in his bones already.

Chapter 329: Ohio

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 329: Ohio

April, 1759

“Charge!” George yelled, lifting his sword high into the air and then urging his horse on. They had a lot of work to do, the French had been quick off the chase to push into the Ohio Country and they’d managed to hold off British incursions for months now. George had been tasked by General Amherst with ensuring that that ended. If he succeeded they’d have a way in. If he failed, he’d likely be dead.

The French didn’t have any big artillery, which was relief because he’d had to abandon his artillery some six miles away from here due to the mud and the dirt. Instead they’d be relying on good old fashioned cavalry and infantry to push through French defences. The Ohio River was on the back end of the French defence force, and as such, George knew he needed to push them that way unless he wanted to be caught in a flanking movement.

The ground was already starting to give way under him, his horse was whinnying nervously. He had to calm it down with some pressure from his legs. The first Frenchman he found was some boy, who looked no older than George’s cousin Charles who was in the army with him. George swung his sword and felt the blow connect. He moved on, confident that the man wouldn’t have survived such an impact.

Another Frenchman, this one with a big gun stepped forward to meet him. George punched him with his free hand and then knocked him out with the butt of his sword. He kept going. His blood pumping erratically. He knew that his time was perhaps running to a clock, so he needed to get as much done as possible.

George found himself getting swept up in the fray soon after that. His sword sung as it moved from one victim to the next, very few of them could get back at him, those that did only managed to scrape him. He felt invincible, which probably meant he was due for a reckoning at some point in the near future. When he got a moment to breathe through the chaos and the push, he observed the battlefield.

They had pushed the French closer toward the Ohio River, but they still had some way to go before they could successfully complete their mission. He did not think the French would want to keep fighting if their men were drowning. He took a breath and then urged his horse onward, there was still much to do, and as commander of this little army group, it was his duty to see it through.

As he got back into the swing of things, he found himself fighting a big burly Frenchman, who was stood swinging an axe. George ducked the man’s blows and then hit him in the gaps between his cover and his body. The man grunted but continued to fight. George pushed on, trying to get a gap in the man’s protection to strike him down. It was harder than he thought.

He heard a crack in the distance, and assumed someone had finally gotten their pistol out. It was only when he heard his horse groan that he realised that it had been his horse that had been shot. He struggled to get off the beast in time, his sword ended up plunged into the animal, whilst he sort of dangled off the stirrups, trying not to fall onto his legs. The big burly Frenchman stalked over to him laughing.

“You cannot expect to live now.” The man said in halting English.

“You would not murder someone who cannot defend themselves.” George replied.

“This is war.” The man said shrugging.

George wanted to plea for his life, but he was a Washington, and he had more dignity than that, so he merely watched as the man stood before him and raised his axe up high. He closed his eyes as the thing came swinging down toward him.

Chapter 330: Mother To Daughter

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 330: Mother to Daughter

September, 1759

“How are you finding things, dearest?” Anne asked, speaking in the German of her youth, looking at her daughter in law Mary.

“Much better, Your Majesty, thank you. I think I’ve found the right balance between work and rest.” Mary said.

“That is good, and the children are not bothering you too much?” Anne asked, her daughter in law had given birth to two children in two years, both of them boys, and she knew the younger woman must be exhausted, especially as she was taking a much more hands on approach than others did.

“Not at all, Your Majesty.” Mary said. “Indeed, they are both quiet babes. I think that has been what has surprised me the most.”

Anne smiled. “That is good, James was a quiet babe himself. Never cried much more than usual.” Indeed, it had been quite the opposite to what she had been led to expect, she had thought her son would be as loud and as frequent a crier as her daughters had been, that had most definitely not been the case.

“I had a question about James, actually, Your Majesty.” Her daughter in law said tentatively.

“Oh?” Anne replied, she hadn’t seen as much of her son as she would have liked recently, given he was so busy working for the war and ensuring nothing went awry there, she could understand that, but it still didn’t mean she didn’t miss him.

“I…” her daughter in law trailed off, as if she were unsure of what she wanted to say or rather how to say it. “I…have noticed a change in him.”

“A change?” Anne asked, feeling her eyebrows raise.

“He’s become more withdrawn as of late, less communicative. I…I do not know if it is because I have done something wrong or?” Mary said.

“Oh.” Anne said. “No, darling you’ve done nothing wrong.”

“Then why has he changed?” Mary asked.

Anne sighed. It seemed her son was far more like his father than he would have liked to have admitted. “Because he is under pressure. The war is going against us, Mary, and until that changes, I fear that much like his father, James will continue to work and work.”

“I understand that, but he could at least talk to me about what is bothering him so.” Mary said. “How am I to be a good wife to him if I do not know what it is that is worrying him?”

Anne wanted to laugh, she had had this conversation with George so many times in the past, that to hear it coming from someone else’s lips was something else entirely. She took her daughter in law’s hand in hers and said. “You must give him time. You must let him do what he must, when he feels ready he will come to you.”

“You are sure?” Mary asked, sounding not like a woman, but a scared girl.

Anne nodded. “I am.” At least, she hoped she was.

Chapter 330: Mother to Daughter

September, 1759

“How are you finding things, dearest?” Anne asked, speaking in the German of her youth, looking at her daughter in law Mary.

“Much better, Your Majesty, thank you. I think I’ve found the right balance between work and rest.” Mary said.

“That is good, and the children are not bothering you too much?” Anne asked, her daughter in law had given birth to two children in two years, both of them boys, and she knew the younger woman must be exhausted, especially as she was taking a much more hands on approach than others did.

“Not at all, Your Majesty.” Mary said. “Indeed, they are both quiet babes. I think that has been what has surprised me the most.”

Anne smiled. “That is good, James was a quiet babe himself. Never cried much more than usual.” Indeed, it had been quite the opposite to what she had been led to expect, she had thought her son would be as loud and as frequent a crier as her daughters had been, that had most definitely not been the case.

“I had a question about James, actually, Your Majesty.” Her daughter in law said tentatively.

“Oh?” Anne replied, she hadn’t seen as much of her son as she would have liked recently, given he was so busy working for the war and ensuring nothing went awry there, she could understand that, but it still didn’t mean she didn’t miss him.

“I…” her daughter in law trailed off, as if she were unsure of what she wanted to say or rather how to say it. “I…have noticed a change in him.”

“A change?” Anne asked, feeling her eyebrows raise.

“He’s become more withdrawn as of late, less communicative. I…I do not know if it is because I have done something wrong or?” Mary said.

“Oh.” Anne said. “No, darling you’ve done nothing wrong.”

“Then why has he changed?” Mary asked.

Anne sighed. It seemed her son was far more like his father than he would have liked to have admitted. “Because he is under pressure. The war is going against us, Mary, and until that changes, I fear that much like his father, James will continue to work and work.”

“I understand that, but he could at least talk to me about what is bothering him so.” Mary said. “How am I to be a good wife to him if I do not know what it is that is worrying him?”

Anne wanted to laugh, she had had this conversation with George so many times in the past, that to hear it coming from someone else’s lips was something else entirely. She took her daughter in law’s hand in hers and said. “You must give him time. You must let him do what he must, when he feels ready he will come to you.”

“You are sure?” Mary asked, sounding not like a woman, but a scared girl.

Anne nodded. “I am.” At least, she hoped she was.
Like your hard-working royal family it goes against current trends.

Even with the pandemic the royals have worked quite hard
I am not a modern monarchist I do not see the point in there ceremonial role I personally find it disrespectful to the kings and Queens of old that the monarchy as a institution still exists.