A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

I mean, everyone comes from families that hate each other, and were married off to maintain a peace that's likely gonna be broken soon, so on top of everything else they're gonna be social outcasts in their new countries once war breaks out... Doesn't sound like the funnest of times

VVD0D95

Banned
I mean, everyone comes from families that hate each other, and were married off to maintain a peace that's likely gonna be broken soon, so on top of everything else they're gonna be social outcasts in their new countries once war breaks out... Doesn't sound like the funnest of times

This is very true, but such is the way of life eh? At least the French, the Austrians, the Spanish and the Brits seem fairly comfortable

Agreed, I can tell you now, Mikhail and Sophia of Sweden will be one of the better marriages, whilst Karl XIV and Mary of Denmark, may well be one of the most tumultuous.
I can Imagine. The Swedish Queen seems to despise her very existence (which is ironic, since she is also of Danish ancestry)

Chapter 317: Whales

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 317: Whales

January, 1755

“You know, I think if I have to listen to Horace Walpole talk about Locke’s theory of man one more time, I’m going to beat my brains out.” James, Prince of Wales said.

“Not his?” Francis Russell, Marquess of Tavistock asked.

“Oh heaven’s no, I think he’d enjoy it too much.” James quipped.

“This is true.” Francis agreed.

“He does like Locke, doesn’t he?” George Seymour, Duke of Somerset said.

“He does.” James agreed. “I don’t understand why, Locke has some fundamental flaws in his reasoning.”

“Oh God, not this again, please, Your Royal Highness!” George said folding his hands together in mock prayer.

James laughed. “It is true though!”

“So, why haven’t you asked him to stop talking about it, Your Royal Highness?” Francis asked. “You are his master after all.”

James sighed. “I did try to ask him to stop, but he told me that the King wanted this taught to us. Apparently just learning Hobbes and Hume wasn’t enough, we had to learn Locke as well.”

Everyone present groaned. James Percy, Marquess of Falmouth and heir to the Duchy of Northumberland spoke then. “Do you think that might change now? After all, Your Royal Highness is approaching manhood.”

“I bloody hope so.” James said. “I don’t want to listen to Walpole again.”

“Maybe we were too soon to dismiss London?” Somerset suggested.

“Perhaps.” James agreed, the Bishop of London had at least known when to let a subject drop, something that Walpole, unfortunately did not.

A comfortable silence fell then as they all sat and drank. James found himself wishing for bed, but at the same time knowing that it was far too early for such a thing. It wasn’t even dinner time yet, and he knew how much of a fuss his mother would make if he went to bed before then.

Tavistock broke the silence. “I heard a rumour, Your Royal Highness, about an impending Royal Marriage.”

James groaned then. There were only two people who could be the subject of that rumour now. His sister Elisabeth, or himself. “And what was this rumour?”

“That His Majesty the King is planning a double marriage between Your Royal Highness and a Princess of Saxony and Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth and a Prince of Saxony.” Tavistock said.

“That can’t be right.” His brother, Prince Edward said. “After all, Saxony doesn’t have a Prince of the right age.”

“So, Your Royal Highness is definitely marrying a Princess of Saxony?” Tavistock asked.

James sighed, he glared at Edward and then looked at Tavistock. “It seems so.”

“You do not seem happy with this?” Tavistock asked.

“The girl, for that is what she is, that I am supposed to marry is only fifteen, she’s younger than Edward.” James said.

“I’m not that young!” Edward protested.

James ignored his brother and continued. “I am to marry a child, and ensure that we continue the dynasty.”

“And that displeases you?” Tavistock asked.

James frowned. “Of course it does, I do not want to marry a girl who is fifteen. I don’t want to have to deal with some child who has unreasonable expectations.”

“Why do you think she’d have unreasonable expectations?” George Seymour asked.

James looked at the man and said. “We all did when we were that age.”

“I didn’t.” Edward said.

James looked at his brother and said. “You want to serve in the army, you have trouble breathing on long walks.”

His brother started to protest, but was interrupted by Falmouth. “Can you not ask for a different marriage?”

James snorted. “Of course not. The King has made up his mind and after what my sister did, he will not budge.”

“So, you cannot ask for another marriage?” Falmouth asked.

“No.” James said.

“And if you could, who would you ask for?” Falmouth asked.

“A Spanish Infanta, or a Portuguese Infanta, hells maybe even an Austrian one. Someone of the right age.” James said simply.

“Such is the lot eh.” Somerset quipped prompting James to laugh.

“Such is the lot.” He agreed.

Ah, the complex family trees the historians and genealogies love just get more and more tangled.

Let’s hope this Saxony Princess turns out to have a brain.

Any sign of a British royal touring the Colonies yet?

VVD0D95

Banned
Ah, the complex family trees the historians and genealogies love just get more and more tangled.

Let’s hope this Saxony Princess turns out to have a brain.

Any sign of a British royal touring the Colonies yet?

Oh indeed.

And I can assure you she does.

And not yet, the relatively hands off manner in which the royal government handles the colonies is probably going to remain under George, but under James, well we'll see ;)

Chapter 318: Common

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 318: Common

June, 1755

Henry held up the pamphlet he’d been given by his brother in law and said. “This is wrong on so many levels.”

“How so?” His brother in law, John asked.

“Because Wilkes makes a demand that no decent subject should make. We cannot demand a say in who a Princess or a Prince marries.” Henry replied.

“Why not?” John asked. “We’re paying toward her dowry.”

“We’re not.” Henry said shaking his head. He didn’t quite understand it, but having spoken to Mr Charteris, his lawyer, he got the impression that Wilkes was barking up the wrong tree.

“What are you talking about? Of course, we are. Wilkes explains it right there.” John said.

“He’s lying.” Henry replied.

“Why would he lie?” John demanded.

“Because he has an agenda?” Henry suggested.

“Nonsense. He’s an honest man.” John said.

“Have you met him?” Henry demanded.

“No, but my brother has.” John said.

Henry wanted to sigh, John’s brother was an idiot. “And how often has he met him?” Henry asked.

“Once at Lambeth.” John said.

“And he thinks meeting him once is a good enough reason to take him at his word?” Henry asked.

“Yes, and if it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me.” John said.

Henry sighed. “Then you are an idiot.”

John hit him then. “Don’t call me an idiot.”

“But you are.” Henry replied. The blow came again.

“Don’t call me one.” John said.

“You are.” Henry said, this time he got his hands up in time to grab John’s hand and twist. “Hit me again, and I’ll break your head on the bar.”

He glared at John and kept his hands on the other man’s arm. “Your brother is an idiot, as are you. Wilkes is wrong. The Crown decides who their children marry, not you and I, and we do not pay for their dowries.”

“How do you know?” John demanded.

“Have you ever had to pay extra when someone gets married?” Henry asked.

“No.” John admitted.

“And why do you think that is?” Henry asked.

“I don’t know.” John mumbled.

“Because we have never and will never have to pay for something that the Crown itself covers.” Henry said. “They are not idiots.”

“Fine, will you let me go?” John asked.

“Yes.” Henry said letting go of the other man. He watched as the man nursed his arm and then stalked off out of the pub. Henry sighed, there was going to be a lot more of this sort of talk, especially in Birmingham, the village of idiocy.

Chapter 319: The March To War

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 319: The March To War

October, 1755

“What news?” Pierre de Rigaud, Governor General of New France asked.

“Word from Louisiana, Sir.” His secretary, Pierre de Laval said. “It seems that the British are encroaching on territory that has long belonged to us.”

“And why would they be doing that?” Pierre asked. The British were usually reasonable when it came to such things.

“It seems that some of their colonialists want more land and as such the Governors have allowed them that leeway.” Laval said.

Pierre frowned, that was an unnecessary complication. Something that would need to be addressed properly. “And how far in land are they moving?” He asked.

“Sometimes right up to the River, sometimes they stop a few metres into the territory.” Laval replied.

“Right up to the river?!” Pierre exclaimed, that was more than an infringement that was a call for war.

“Yes, Sire.” Laval responded.

“Which of the colonies are they coming from?” Pierre demanded.

“Carolina, I believe, Sir.” Laval said. “Carolina and some of the northern colonies.”

“Very well, send letters to the governors of these colonies and ask that they explain themselves.” Pierre said. He wanted to avoid war as much as possible. He knew the finances of the colony as a whole were not great, and war was not something they could afford.

“You think they will listen, Sir?” Laval asked.

“If they have any sense they will.” Pierre responded. “War is not in anyone’s interests right now.”

“And if they do not listen?” Laval asked.

“Then we will have no choice but to move the regiments from here to the south.” Pierre replied, and if that meant getting rid of the General then perhaps it would not be such a bad thing. The general was an arsehole.

“I will write those letters at once, Sir.” Laval replied.

“Good, and Pierre, make sure you do not tell the General about this, okay?” Pierre said.

Laval looked at him for a moment, then smiled and said. “Of course, Sire.”

Time to write home for advice as well?

Does the Gov General have the power to goto War with Britain without telling Paris?