A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 320: Washington

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 320: Washington

March, 1756

George Washington, Colonel of the Virginia Militia, walked up the steps that led him into the General’s office, he noticed there were cannons stationed across the left and right walls, with burly looking Frenchmen standing next to them, no doubt serving as guards. That combined with the ditch filled with spikes outside, that he’d seen upon entering told him this would not be an easy place to take should it come to it.

The doors opened and he was led to a seat that was occupied by a large pillow in the shape of a bear. George picked it up and handed it to a servant, then sat down, immediately he regretted doing so, for the chair’s back dug into his own back. He refused to ask for the cushion though and instead remained seated. The man before him had white hair which showed under his wig, he was writing something furiously. He then handed it to a servant and then looked at George.

“Monsieur Washington.” The man, General Pierre, Governor of Fort Le Boeuf said. “Welcome to Fort Le Boeuf, I trust your journey here was pleasant.”

George bit back a snort, his journey had been anything but pleasant. He’d avoided being eaten by a bear, being captured by Indians and all sorts of other horrendous things just to get here. “It was fine, thank you.”

“Good.” The General said. “Now, I am aware of why you have come, but I wish to hear the words from you, directly.”

George cleared his throat and said. “I have come as part of a representation from His Britannic Majesty King George of the United Kingdom of Great Britannia, to formally request that your men retreat from the Ohio Country. This territory was claimed by His Britannic Majesty some years ago, and was agreed as Britannic territory during the Treaty of Bruges.”

The General didn’t react to what he’d said, instead he simply looked at George. For a moment, George wondered if the man had heard him, he was about to repeat what he had said, when the General spoke. “I understand where you are coming from, but I fear there may be some confusion on your part, Colonel.”

“Sir?” George asked.

“You see, the Ohio Country has belonged to France since time immemorial. It was claimed by us in an agreement with the Spanish and something that was subsequently recognised by King Charles II in a treaty some eighty years ago.” The General said.

“That was then, this is now.” George replied. “The realities have changed.”

“They have?” The General asked.

“Yes.” George said. “The situation that His Britannic Majesty King Charles found himself under is not the same situation as it is now. The Treaty of Bruges made that quite clear. The wording of the treaty was such that Britannia was given rights to the Ohio Country.”

“And yet, you have done nothing with those rights.” The General said. “Bruges was thirty years ago; we have moved on since then.”

“There was no new treaty.” George protested.

The General laughed. “The winner takes it all, Colonel. Unless there is some other reason for why we should vacate, we shall not be leaving here.”

George narrowed his eyes at the man and asked. “Is that a threat?”

The General laughed. “No, Colonel, it is not a threat. Merely a statement of truth.”

“Your version of the truth must be different to mine.” George said.

The General didn’t laugh then, instead he simply stared at George, before saying. “It would appear so.”

Well this might change the fate of the new world colonies....

Dangerous move by France though.

If/when this kicks off a War, hopefully the UK will concentrate on winning in the New World as strongly as any European front.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well this might change the fate of the new world colonies....

Dangerous move by France though.

If/when this kicks off a War, hopefully the UK will concentrate on winning in the New World as strongly as any European front.

Oh I think this time around their attention is going to be primarily in the New World

Chapter 321: France Again

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 321: France Again

August, 1756

“This letter from Rigaud is concerning.” Louis said. “We had thought the issue of the Ohio Country was resolved during the last round of negotiations.” He fixed the foreign minister with his gaze then, prompting the man to speak.

“I had thought so, Sire. Nothing in any correspondence with London suggested that it was not.” Rouillé replied.

“So, then why are the British now claiming different?” Louis demanded.

“I do not know, Sire.” Rouillé said.

“Well then find out!” Louis roared. “We do not want to have another bloody war over this insufferable land.” He was beginning to think having those territories in America was more pain than it was worth.

“I will, Sire.” Rouillé said.

Louis wiped at his brow and then continued. “We know that there are many things going on, but it is imperative that we not go into a war with Britannia over this land across the ocean.” He wanted to focus on Europe and potentially displacing the Habsburgs from Flanders, more than he wanted some territory in America.

“What should I tell the Governor General, Sire?” Rouillé asked.

“You tell him to seek to negotiate with the British. If they refuse, only then may he prepare the regiments for war.” Louis said.

“Sire.” Rouillé said.

Louis then turned to look at his brother, the Duke of Berry and asked him. “What word is there from the border?”

“The Austrians are keeping a balance of troops in Flanders, at the request of the Archduke. They’re also stationing more soldiers on the border with Lorraine, again at the request of various Princes. However, the Sultan seems to be stirring himself in preparation for another war.” Charles replied.

“So, it is likely that the Austrians will be preoccupied?” Louis asked.

“Yes, I believe so, Sire.” Charles answered.

“Good. Ensure the Marshals know; we must be prepared to strike the moment an opportunity arises.” Louis said.

“Sire, if I may make a suggestion?” Charles asked.

Louis looked at his brother and nodded. The younger man continued. “I think that perhaps the time has come to focus more on Navarre than on Flanders. The Spanish are weak; their army is non-existent and we have stoked up sufficient tension in Aragon for their King to be consistently worried. I think the time is right for us to move on and complete the conquest.”

Louis could see where his brother was coming from, Navarre was there for the taking, but it would be a symbolic thing. It would hold no real value for them, whereas Flanders would, especially with the developing industry there. “We shall consider your proposal. But we still wish for the Marshals on the border to be prepared.” His brother nodded his acceptance.

It still amazes me that the European rules spent so long obsessing about tiny pieces of European land when the Vast emptiness of America and its resources was right there for the taking and colonising.

There is a timeline somewhere wherein Britain, France or someone locked their Euro borders with Treaties and land grabbed *everything* they could hold in the New World and made it work (unlike Spain).

VVD0D95

Banned
It still amazes me that the European rules spent so long obsessing about tiny pieces of European land when the Vast emptiness of America and its resources was right there for the taking and colonising.

There is a timeline somewhere wherein Britain, France or someone locked their Euro borders with Treaties and land grabbed *everything* they could hold in the New World and made it work (unlike Spain).
America was for so long seen as a back land water, europe was closer and easier to fight for

Chapter 322: War Upon The Horizon

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 322: War Upon The Horizon

November, 1756

“We were under the impression that under the Treaty of Bruges, the Ohio Country was ours.” George said, holding up the letter which had come from Versailles.

“It is, Sire.” His brother, the Duke of Cambridge and Secretary of State for the Southern Department said.

“Then why has King Louis sent me a letter claiming otherwise?” George demanded.

“I do not know, Sire.” Cambridge said. “It appears that the French have taken a different interpretation of what the Bruges Treaty meant.”

“A different interpretation?” George whispered.

“Mainly that the Treaty had an expiration date and that after that it would revert back to the French.” Cambridge replied.

“And was there such a clause?” George demanded, he could not imagine his father agreeing to such a thing, King James had been too clever for that.

“No, Sire. There was talk of one being included, but His Majesty King James disagreed with it.” Cambridge said.

“So, on what basis is King Louis now claiming the Ohio Country?” George demanded.

“The basis of pressure from colonial settlers and a desire to outdo us, Sire.” William Pitt, First Lord of Trade said.

“Go on.” George said fixing his gaze on the man, Pitt was smart, if somewhat brash.

“The French settlers are no doubt feeling threatened by the increase in our settlements in America. Therefore, they no doubt are writing to the Governor General of New France and the King, begging him to allow them to expand their own territory. France can only feel secure with more land and borders, otherwise they no doubt feel they are under a constant risk of attack. Just as in Europe.” William Pitt said. “Therefore, they need this land and the King will feel he has to allow it.”

“Even though it means violating a treaty and not having their word taken seriously again.” George mused.

“I do not think King Louis or the French give that treaty much weight, Sire.” Pitt replied. “If they did they would respect our claims to the country.”

“There’s another thing that might make matters worse, Sire.” Cambridge said.

George looked at his brother, wondering what that could possibly be. “Go on.”

“It seems that Governor Dinwiddie appointed a man known as George Washington to negotiate a French retreat, when the French refused, Dinwiddie then demanded that Washington attack the French garrison at Fort Le Boeuf.” Cambridge said.

George felt his jaw drop open. “Under whose authority did Dinwiddie do that?”

“His own, Sire.” Cambridge replied. “He believed that as Governor of Virginia and as the senior most governor, it was his right to order the attack.”

To say he was angry was an understatement, he was furious. This was a massive overreach by Dinwiddie and something that would most definitely need to be corrected. “Send a letter to Dinwiddie, telling him that we wish for him to present himself before us at the earliest.”

“Yes, Sire.” Cambridge said.

“What has the French response been?” George asked.

“In the colonies, they have started preparing for war.” Cambridge said. “And my spies in France report that the King has started preparing his navy as well.”

“Then we must do the same, we must also send an army to the colonies.” George said. “Send word to the Secretary of War, inform him that he must send us a recommendation for a commander by week’s end.”

“Yes Sire.” Cambridge replied.

“Perhaps we can end this war before it begins.” George said, though he highly doubted that.

I doubt you can end a war by sending more troops, but sure...

Maybe send a Diplomat or too? Maybe a minor Royal? Or see if the King of France will meet somewhere to hash this out?

VVD0D95

Banned
I doubt you can end a war by sending more troops, but sure...

Maybe send a Diplomat or too? Maybe a minor Royal? Or see if the King of France will meet somewhere to hash this out?

I don't think George truly expects the war to end, but he can't also leave the colonies alone to fight this mess.

There is the British ambassador to France who might well be trying to smooth some ruffled feathers.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
Oh boy! A Seven Years War (French & Indian War in America) analog with an early infusion of British regulars. This will be interesting.

Chapter 323: Wandering Rover

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 323: Wandering Rover

March, 1757

“His Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester.” The Lord Chancellor cried.

James, recently ascended to the title of Duke of Gloucester, following his father’s death in December, rose and made his way to the podium to speak. “Thank you, Lord Chancellor.” He cleared his throat and looked around then said. “My lords, the matter is simple, the troops which have been sent to America are necessary for its defence. The French cannot be allowed to assume control of Ohio Country nor can we allow them to defy the Treaty of Bruges. To do so would be to undermine the very purpose of the Treaty and our standing.”

James sat down, and the Lord Chancellor then called out. “The Earl of Bedford.”

Bedford was slim, agile and quick of thought, he really should have been in government, but the King disliked him. “Thank you, Lord Chancellor.” Bedford then looked at him. “His Royal Highness says the troops under Brigadier General Amherst needed to be sent, but why? We did not start a war with the French, that was Governor Dinwiddie, and yet that man remains in post. How can His Royal Highness say that this war is being fought for our standing, when it seems it is being fought to protect Dinwiddie!”

James rose, ignoring the boos from his side. “Lord Bedford raises an interesting question. Governor Dinwiddie did start this war, but he acts as a representative of His Britannic Majesty in the colonies and therefore, what he has started must be defended. We cannot allow His Britannic Majesty’s subjects to be treated quite so awfully. You have all heard the rumours of what the French did to the Indians on the border.” There were murmurs at that, James continued. “They are true. We had a report from one John Jay confirming that the French raped the Indian women and burned their bodies after they were done. Such outrages must be answered.”

James sat down and smiled, Bedford was in a difficult position now. Did he agree with what James had just said and thus undermine his position, or did he disagree and come across as a madman. Bedford rose and said. “So, what is it? Are we going to defend the Indians or to defend our own interests?”

Interesting. James thought as he rose to answer. “Both.” He said simply.

“How can it be both?!” Bedford exclaimed.

“Simple. We have a duty to protect the innocent when they are wronged as the Indians so clearly were by the French and we have a duty to ensure that our obligations in America are carried out.” James said.

“And how long do you expect this war to last for?” Bedford demanded.

Here, James hesitated, he didn’t want to say something only for it to be countered later on. “As long as is necessary.”

“That is not an answer.” Bedford replied.

James smiled. “It is as much as one as I can give you before we know more.”

“So you are covering yourself?” Bedford snarled.

“Watch your tone, Lord Bedford.” The Lord Chancellor said.

“Apologies.” Bedford said though he didn’t look sorry.