A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 46: Sunderland, Oh Sunderland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 46: Sunderland, Oh Sunderland

“Her Majesty is keeping well in her confinement and the physicians assure me that she shall be safe during her pregnancy.” The Lord Chamberlain said. The man was someone who Sunderland was not sure what to make of. He was at turns loyal, a chancer and then something else in between. He wanted a Dukedom, that much Sunderland knew.

“Good.” Sunderland replied, and there were suitable murmurs of agreement from the rest of the cabinet. The Duke of Cumberland, who was Lord Admiral was not in attendance, being with his wife at this time. “Now, we must discuss the issues of the current war.” There was a lot that had to be discussed and sorted, before things could be concluded. “His Grace The Duke of Berwick, as we all know converted to the true faith in a ceremony in Westminster Abbey a month ago, and has since re-joined the English army, as a Colonel of the Royal Blues Regiment. As a colonel, he oversaw a victory for English forces against the French army at Lille and ensured that the French commander was not able to return southwards for help.” There was a great deal of banging on the table then as they celebrated. “His Grace has also re-joined with the forces of the Earl of Marlborough and has written to say that the plans for the full force for Northern France has begun.” The plan concocted by Marlborough and approved by the Queen was to drive as far south into France as possible, and if it were achievable to threaten Paris itself, perhaps that would force that arrogant rogue the King of France to reconsider his positions.

There was a moment of silence then as they all considered the implications, then Godolphin who was serving as the representative of the treasury for this moment asked. “Did The Earl of Marlborough comment on how much this expedition will cost?” The setting up of the Bank of Britannia had been an interesting venture, and had enable some decent level of capital to be raised, yet they were still having to balance the books using Parliamentary funds.

Sunderland shifted through his notes and said. “He did not, though he does believe that it should remain within the limits that Parliament had granted before.” That seemed unlikely, the more time they spent at war, the harder it would be to keep everything in control.

Godolphin, who Sunderland knew was using his connection to Marlborough’s wife to get in the Queen’s good books and was desperate for his own Earldom replied. “Perhaps we should convince the men of the Bank that the war would be better funded through their direct investment.”

Sunderland shook his head. “Her Majesty has said that until Marlborough himself asks for such a thing, the bank shall be kept toward building up its portfolio.” A move he agreed with, Parliament would likely grow somewhat without if this happened immediately.

Godolphin said nothing. Instead it was Shrewsbury, someone who Sunderland did not overly trust, who spoke next. “Has there been any word from Savoy as to whether they will be accepting terms, for their surrender?”

That had been the biggest concern. Savoy had been a way to divert attention for France, and now that the Duke was considering surrendering, everything was in the air. “I have spoken with the Savoyard ambassador, and as of yet he has not received any confirmation either way from His Royal Highness the Duke as to what he might do.” Sunderland responded, he was not quite convinced of this, there was more for Savoy to gain by surrendering than to continue fighting, especially if the French looked to give him Cyprus.

Shrewsbury nodded. “We all know that Parliament will demand our heads if we allow Savoy to surrender to the French. After all, my lord, you were the one who mentioned that Spain is considering signing a separate treaty to regain control of Catalonia. If they do that and Savoy surrenders, then things will be in complete dire straits.”

Sunderland looked at the younger man and replied. “I am well aware, my lord. As such I have been meeting with the ambassador and discussing ways in which we can provide relief for both Savoy and Spain. The Spanish Ambassador has mentioned that The King would not be against allowing some of our men to arrive there and fight in Catalonia. Whilst with the Savoyards, they want to see another victory before reconsidering.”

“And how will that be achieved? We know the French are overstretching themselves, but they still hold naval dominance, and they are pressing on the Rhine.” Shrewsbury asked.

Sunderland smiled. “With a simple solution. The Sun King is riding to face our forces, and he is determined to win. And when a man such as the Sun King is determined to do that, he makes mistakes.”

------------

Notes

Title refers to a song that will become popular in this timeline, about the Earl of Sunderland.

Chapter 47: Sambhaji, Fighter and Commander

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 47: Sambhaji Fighter and Commander

This was it, the defining moment. Sambhaji knew that if they won this battle, they could lay claim to having conquered the entirety of Bijapur. They had fought some seven battles during the past three months and won every single one of them. The nobles of the area had bent the knee and accepted that he was now their overlord. And as expected the Mughals had come, or rather the youngest of them had come. Bidar Bakht the son of Aurangzeb the tyrant’s favourite son was at the head of an army meant to stop them. The man would not succeed, Sambhaji had arranged the battlefield to ensure that.

Mohite rode up to him and bowed. “Sire, we have received the first reports of battle.”

“Tell me.” Sambhaji commanded.

“Prince Rajaram engaged the front lines of the Mughal host with cannon fire as you commanded. That broke the initial lines of the Mughal defences, and from there he engaged the infantry, with pike and musket. The Mughals engaged as well, there was some fierce fighting, but Prince Rajaram announced victory over the Mughal front and sent word.” Mohite replied.

“Does he have any prisoners of note?” If they captured members of the nobility here, then perhaps they could achieve a puppet system.

Mohite shook his head. “Unfortunately not, Sire. He says that the main body of commanders fled once the onslaught was announced.”

“What of Ghorpade, what has he achieved?” Sambhaji asked. The man had been demanding more and more responsibility in the field as time had progressed and so Sambhaji and decided to engage with him.

“Sire, he has broken the left wing of the Mughal host, and with Jadhav swept the remains into dust soon afterwards. They are looking to breach through the inner defences.” Mohite replied.

Sambhaji smiled the battle was going incredibly well, almost too well. If he were not so experienced he would suspect that there was a trap buried here somewhere. “And the Mughals, how have they responded?” He asked.

“Sire, they have withdrawn some of their forces and seem to be congregated the majority on the backwards line.” Mohite replied.

Sambhaji thought on this, just as the Raja of Amber said. “So, the Mughals are looking to retreat. Sire, I advise that we move forward and crush them as quickly as possible.”

The Raja was not wrong this was the perfect opportunity to put a dent into the Mughals and ensure that a possible successor to the tyrant was discredited, yet he hesitated. Things seemed too perfect. “Where are their defensive lines? And where is Bakht?” He demanded.

“The Mughal Prince has not been sighted on either the front, or the left. Though he might still be with the left, who are some distance from here.” Mohite supplied.

At once Sambhaji knew what was going to happen. “Send orders for both our brother and for Ghorpade to withdraw.”

“Sire?” Mohite asked.

Sambhaji looked at the man and said. “The Mughals wanted their lines broken, they’re going to try and ring fence us in, and ensure we have no means of escape. The left is always their biggest asset.”

Mohite got it, nodded and rode off barking orders. Sambhaji sat in silence atop his horse, watching as his orders were carried out, and as men were pulled back. His brother was there somewhere, no doubt angered that he had been denied a chance of achieving glory. He would thank Sambhaji that he was alive at the end of this fight. He did not know how much time passed, but eventually Ghorpade and Rajaram and their men were back behind defensive lines. Rajaram appeared. “Why did you call us back?” his brother demanded, his armour covered in blood, how much of it was his own and how much was the enemy’s Sambhaji did not know.

“Look.” Sambhaji replied indicating with his hand. His brother turned and watched as the Mughal left descended, a mass of arms, elephants and guns. The guns fired, and they hit the ground, one or two of the soldiers at the very front line were killed. Sambhaji looked at his brother. "Now we wait."

As they watched, the Mughal army advanced, at a nod from him Mohite gave the order and guns rang out. Men dressed in the Mughal green were killed, felled by cannon fire. It gave him no pleasure, these men were his future subjects, and they were being killed for a tyrant’s pride. More and more of them died, as they continued. Bakht was clearly nervous. If the man who was prowling around the edges of his host was Bakht, when an elephant got shot and killed, that was when Sambhaji gave the order for them all to march. It was now or never.

Chapter 48: Leopold The Warmonger?

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 48: Leopold, The War Monger?

“The war continues to vary between sides, Your Imperial Majesty.” Salm said. “One moment the French have the upper hand, the next we do. It is varying due to the conditions and the size of the armies both sides are presenting. The French seem focused on Cologne and Bonn, whilst we are focusing completely on the Rhine.” Leopold tilted his head slightly wondering what the man was implying. Salm quickly continued. “I do not think that this is the wrong focus, Sire. I do believe however, that to get a definitive result we need to strike quickly.”

“Where would you suggest we strike?” Leopold asked. “If we send our might toward Bonn and Cologne we risk giving the French the chance to consolidate their gains on the Eastern bank without the worry for supplies. If we keep our forces completely on the Eastern bank of the Rhine then Bonn and Cologne are most definitely lost to us.” That was something that continued to frustrate him. That and the fact that the Dutch and the English did not seem keen to engage completely with the French host.

Salm did not seem to know what to say, and Leopold wondered not for the first time why he had kept the man on as an Imperial Field Marshal. The man seemed better suited to fighting in the field than any long term strategic planning. Thankfully de Croy seemed better suited. For he spoke then. “Your Imperial Majesty, I would suggest allowing Cologne and Bonn to fall. Let the French take them, the worse that will happen is that they will install a Bishop who is favourable to them. What of it? The rest of the clergy are favourable toward you and your royal dynasty. I believe that we should focus our entire energies on ensuring that Philipsburg, Mannheim and Mainz are brought back to our sway and that the Elector Palatinate can actually return to his domains rather than hiding.”

Leopold agreed with the man and therefore said. “Very well then, Salm, you shall write the orders to our son by marriage, Bavaria and tell him that this is what we wish. Also send word to Baden and tell him to move his forces toward Mainz.” Salm made a note of this. “And furthermore, we wish for you to begin preparing the third and fourth brigades and then when the time is right to move out.”

Salm nodded, and Leopold felt that was good enough, but then Metternich spoke. “Sire, I dislike having to be the beast of burden, but I am not sure that sending out another two brigades to fight in this war would be financially beneficial to the Empire.”

Leopold sighed, he had thought this might be coming. “How much do we have left to spend on financing the armies?” This constant feuding, the need for dowries all of this was something he was beginning to chafe at, and having so many daughters also was something that was worrying at him.

“We have enough to keep fighting for perhaps another year and a half at most, Sire.” Metternich said. “But with the Savoyards now insisting on making peace with the French and with the English and the Dutch also considering it, perhaps it would be best to either go completely for victory on the Rhine or to look for peace.”

“You would seek peace, in a time where clear victory could completely remove the French from their moves on the Rhine for a generation?” Croy asked, seemingly incredulous.

“I am simply suggesting, Field Marshal, that we look toward either going completely for victory, or we look for peace. One or the other. We cannot afford to keep this war going. Not with the Polish King ailing, and likely to die soon, and not with the Turks now also under a Sultan who wants to regain land his father and brother lost.” Metternich replied.

What the man said was true as always, even if Leopold did not want to acknowledge it. He took a moment to consider everything and then said. “We know the Anglo-Dutch forces are marching to engage a French army, if they win there, then we shall keep for the push on the Rhine, if they lose we shall still go for the push, but we shall also consider coming to the table for negotiations.” He could tell Croy did not like that, but he accepted it. Metternich nodded. “Now, in regards to another pressing matter, has there been word from Denmark about the proposed marriage between our son and their daughter?” Leopold was quietly confident that a marriage between Joseph, confirmed as King of the Romans, and the Danish Princess would move Denmark from France and closer toward the Empire, and with their position in the land that would surely be a good thing.

“His Majesty, King Christian’s ambassador has told me that the King of Denmark is talking with his daughter in an attempt to convince her of the merits of such a marriage, whether he succeeds, I am not sure. However, there has been a positive response from the Duke of Brunswick Lunenburg about a marriage with one of their princesses. I believe they are quite happy to go with such a marriage, Sire.” Metternich replied.

Ideally, Leopold would like to have a Danish Princess for his son, but if that failed then ensuring that someone within the Empire was tied to him was not a bad thing either. “Very well.”

Chapter 49: Louis, War Monger Supreme

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 49: Louis, War Monger Supreme

It was sweltering hot, even as the summer wound its way down into autumn. Louis could feel the sweat upon his brow. He knew his armour made everything a hundred times worse. Yet he had decided to come, the Sun King, bringing the sun with him, for the men of the French armies, his armies. He sat on his horse, prepared to fight, but not to die. The fighting that was currently going on, on the ground below him was some of the most intense he had ever seen. He could literally see the cannon balls being unleashed and the darkness of the cries of men on all sides.

They had stopped the Anglo-Dutch forces at Bouchain, knowing that they had to give battle now or risk some sort of revolt. The negotiations with Savoy were dragging on, and Louis knew he had to achieve a result now otherwise the Savoyards might re-enter the war, and with the Spanish also dragging their feet that was not something Louis truly wanted to contemplate. He blinked as a gunshot sounded somewhere down below. He turned to his aide de camp, and asked. “Charles, can you see what is happening clearly? The smoke blinds our vision.”

Charles de Galean, was one of his oldest friends and confidants and someone Louis trusted implicitly. The man looked through one of those eye scopes. “Sire, I see three men fighting down below the ridge,” the man swivelled. “Another four fighting, two of our men and two of the Dutch.” He swivelled again. “I see the banners of the English. Led by that man Churchill, they are fighting quite furiously.”

Louis nodded, and turned to another soldier. “Get me Lorges.” The man who Louis had taken with him to command the centre, who he knew would be right at the back. The soldier bowed and hurried off. Louis turned back and watched as the smoke grew higher. He could quite literally hear the screams of the dying men around him. He steeled himself. He had never liked being on the field of battle, had always felt exposed. He preferred planning wars than fighting them. Unlike his brother, he took no pleasure in the needless chase.

A few moments later, the soldier returned with Lorges. “Your Most Christian Majesty.” The man said bowing. “I bring good news.” Louis nodded and gestured for the man to continue. “The English are faltering on the right, Churchill has lost one of his sub commanders, Peterborough I believe the man is called. He has had to send reinforcements to keep that side bolstered. Whilst the Dutch are struggling also. I saw William of Orange looking for a way out.”

Louis’s eyes narrowed. “You are sure of this?” He knew William of Orange had fought against him several times. This did not seem like something he would do.

“I am quite certain. I saw his standard flying, and the retreat of his personal guard. He has begun a retreat.” Lorges replied.

Immediately Louis considered the implications of this. Either, William of Orange was truly retreating sensing defeat, and Louis could strike an advantage here, or this was some sort of trap. He thought for a moment and then said. “From which side did the man retreat?” that would decide the course of action he would take.

“Toward Denain, Sire. He was retreating with some haste.” Lorges replied.

“That means that he shall be looking to regroup.” Louis replied. “He is not retreating he is trying to bait us into doing something that we would deeply regret, mainly following him.” Of that, Louis was sure of. He knew William of Orange, the man wanted to draw him on a wild goose chase around the border with the Spanish Low Countries. That was something that Louis would not agree to, could not agree to. He cleared his throat. “We want you to break the English host. Ensure that they cannot reform their right and centre, and ensure the left is divided.” No doubt Churchill wanted Louis to chase after William also, that would relieve stress on him. But if they broke the English, then as his spies had said, the English would sue for peace.

Lorges bowed. “Of course, Sire.” The man returned to his horse and hurried off to give the command.

From his place on the hill, Louis observed all that was happening. As time ticked by he smiled as Lorges began the break of the English host, when he was suitably convinced that the English were on the back foot, he gave the command and led the charge down the hill himself. As he drew blood against the enemy, the hated enemy of old, he smiled to himself. Perhaps things would go better from now on. This was a thought that kept him going, as the heat and the wounds began growing, and it was a thought that seemed almost prophetic when the English retreated before him. He stopped and watched their hasty retreat and thought that the Savoyards would have to surrender now.

VVD0D95

Banned
And we're back, sorry for the delay, work was hell aha. So here, Louis might well have got a clincher in the war of the palatinate, which might well change a fair few things. Churchill's reputation hasn't suffered, but William of Orange's most definitely will.

Chapter 50: Peaceseeker

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 50: Peaceseeker

After her latest pregnancy, Anne was beginning to think that perhaps they should lay off anything too intimate. She and George had three sons and three daughters, more than enough to secure the succession and then some. And whilst she loved her husband, she didn’t like being pregnant so much, it made her feel bloated and unable to do anything other than sit and moan, and she disliked moaning. Sophie Amalie, her newest daughter was six months old, and was growing quickly, Anne had been told she could return to the business of ruling, by her doctors and so she was embracing it with full gusto. She looked at the men before her and spoke.

“What is the recent word from the front?” Anne had not spoken with Lady Churchill for some time, the lady had had to leave to go back to her husband’s estates for something or the other, that had been three weeks ago. Anne missed her.

“Your Majesty,” Sunderland said. “There has been word from the Earl of Marlborough, he says that the Battle of Bouchain did not go as we had hoped it would. The French managed to break the Dutch forces, and ensured that Marlborough’s own forces were forced into a hasty retreat. Lord Peterborough died of his wounds.”

Anne bowed her head in grief briefly, Peterborough had been a loyal soldier for her father and her uncle, that he had died fighting was a sign that he had died doing what he had loved. She turned back to Sunderland. “And what did Marlborough have to say of the aftermath of the battle? Is our position salvageable?” She was beginning to grow tired of the constant fighting, not only was it expensive, but it was gaining them nothing. She did not want to send more good English men to die in some foreign field just to fuel William’s ego.

“Your Majesty, I believe that following this battle, King Louis has gathered forces to attack the Emperor on the Rhine. Once the fighting had seen our forces and those of the Dutch cleared from France he did not much care for the Spanish Low Countries.” Sunderland responded.

“That means he will simply come back at another point for them.” Anne replied. “Godolphin do we have enough to keep fighting?” She hoped not.

Thankfully, Godolphin shook his head. “Unfortunately, Your Majesty we only have enough money to fight for another month perhaps two at most, without touching Parliament for more, or even raising taxes slightly. Both measures would be unpopular and would give more room for the opposition.” The opposition who were led now by the Earl of Pembroke who had replaced the sacked Shaftesbury. He was far more capable and had been hounding for something more.

“Very well, what word has there been from the Savoyards and the Spanish, have they considered our proposal?” Anne asked. She had thought it a relatively clear proposal, they would send men into Catalonia and fight the French there, but there had been nothing but silence before her pregnancy had come to term.

Sunderland sighed. “Your Majesty, Savoy has officially announced its surrender. The treaty between her and France reached us today. They have agreed to some relatively simple concessions. As for Spain, they continue to hum and ahh, I believe the Queen Dowager wishes to get a guarantee for her granddaughter’s succession from France.” Anne nodded and was about to speak when Sunderland continued. “There is also another matter, and that is the Polish succession, Your Majesty. King John suffered another heart attack some time ago and is on his death bed. There are already claimants putting their names forward. I believe the Austrians and the French will move their focus there, as will the Russians. And when that is combined with the revival of the Ottoman threat, I do not think this war being fought in the Rhine and the Low Countries can continue for much longer.”

Anne felt some relief, there was a way out then, that would allow for an honourable exit. “Very well, should William wish to continue this fighting for his own gain let him, enough men have died from our isles. We want you to meet with the French ambassador and inform him that we are willing to negotiate peace, on our terms.” Anne knew that meant nothing more than the freedom for ship access down the channel.

Sunderland nodded. “Of course, Your Majesty.”

“Shrewsbury, we want you to canvass the Lords, see how they feel about peace.” Anne commanded.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Shrewsbury replied, Anne could see good things ahead for him.

“Good, now unless there is anything else, you are all dismissed.” Anne said rising.

As I've said, Charles Philip of Neuburg is an interesting variant provided his Lithuanian wife lives/child born in 1695 is a son - a Piast factor may play in his favor.

VVD0D95

Banned
As I've said, Charles Philip of Neuburg is an interesting variant provided his Lithuanian wife lives/child born in 1695 is a son - a Piast factor may play in his favor.
Alrighty, well with 1695 knocking on the door, I think this is a pretty sure sign that he might well get the nod

I proposed to marry her to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livio_Odescalchi (a friend of her mother, whom she would like to promote; also-run in 1697 elections). This is also the only candidate that is clearly pro-war. Saxony is ambigious, Conti and Neuburg - both anti-war for different reasons, though the Austrian position is a bit more unclear here.
If not for Maximilian I thought her mom would have eventually married her to Livio, in gratitude for family support in Great Turkish War.

Who were the candidates other than Maximilian for Therese's hand? Reason I ask is that nothing is coming up on le google
In 1692 King John Sobieski planned to marry her to Danish prince, son of Christian V, although I'm not sure which one, Frederick or Christian? Maybe @Jürgen would know.

VVD0D95

Banned
I proposed to marry her to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livio_Odescalchi (a friend of her mother, whom she would like to promote; also-run in 1697 elections). This is also the only candidate that is clearly pro-war. Saxony is ambigious, Conti and Neuburg - both anti-war for different reasons, though the Austrian position is a bit more unclear here.
If not for Maximilian I thought her mom would have eventually married her to Livio, in gratitude for family support in Great Turkish War.

Alright interesting, Livio could be quite the match

Given Russo-Danish relations of the time, Prince Christian would also be one of candidates Russia would back (for many of the same reasons they backed Augustus). Though this plan may fail if he is as religiously stubborn as his uncle George of Denmark was.

VVD0D95

Banned
Given Russo-Danish relations of the time, Prince Christian would also be one of candidates Russia would back (for many of the same reasons they backed Augustus). Though this plan may fail if he is as religiously stubborn as his uncle George of Denmark was.
Hmm this is true, given his sisters stubbornness also, he might refuse to convert