A Better Rifle at Halloween

At least one New Zealand yeomanry unit in the South Island had a horse drawn maxim along with its 100 or so riders in the very early 1900s. My photos of the information board are terrible, but if I can find a readable one, I'll edit this post with better info.
So in short, cavalry units knew the value of mobile mg support a decade before WW1. If the towed maxim wasn't too unstable across reasonable cavalry country so it could keep up, it would be very useful. Being wheeled, it would be reasonable mobile when dismounted, though not in the way a Lewis might be.

Edit.
Amuri mounted rifles, 120 men in 1902 added a 'galloping Maxim'. It was towed by two horses in tandem and could be disengaged and brought into action in minutes. Won first place in a Maxim gun competition in the Christchurch Exhibition of 1906.

While not everything about 1906 was good, I think we should bring back Maxim gun competitions.

Last edited:
I assume the Nurse was

Edith Cavell (1865-1915) was a British nurse, working in German-occupied Belgium during the First World War. She helped hundreds of British, French and Belgian soldiers escape the Germans and was arrested, tried and executed in 1915.
Edith was born in the village of Swardeston, Norfolk. She was the daughter of a rector and worked as a governess in Belgium, before training to be a nurse in London. She worked in hospitals in Shoreditch, Kings Cross and Manchester and then accepted a position in Brussels as Matron in Belgium's first training hospital and school for nurses. There was no established nursing profession in Belgium at the time of Edith's appointment, and her pioneering work led her to be considered the founder of modern nursing education in that country. She was in Norfolk visiting her mother when the First World War broke out in 1914. On hearing of the threat to Belgium, from the advancing German troops, she felt it was her duty to return to Brussels immediately.

Yes

I was talking specifically about the Battle of Passchendaele and comparing the Attacks of Gough and Plumer. As a microcosm of two competing styles of Trench warfare offensive it is a good place to look. As part of a wider picture then yes the open, mobile warfare produced the highest casualties.
My reference to bite and hold was a shorthand, many of the tools needed to overcome trenches don’t exist yet. But the entente will be in a much better position to fight an attritional war against Germany ITTL. The problem of artillery not being able to cross no man’s land is and will continue to be a problem.

B
At least one New Zealand yeomanry unit in the South Island had a horse drawn maxim along with its 100 or so riders in the very early 1900s. My photos of the information board are terrible, but if I can find a readable one, I'll edit this post with better info.
So in short, cavalry units knew the value of mobile mg support a decade before WW1. If the towed maxim wasn't too unstable across reasonable cavalry country so it could keep up, it would be very useful. Being wheeled, it would be reasonable mobile when dismounted, though not in the way a Lewis might be.
British cavalry regiments had 2 machine guns per regiment in 1914 if my memory serves

1 for 120 in the NZ South Island vs 2 for (nearly) 600 in the British Army. I think the British were being given a raw deal!
The British built something on the order of 100k vickers guns during the war. They went from rare to ubiquitous in 4 years. We have absolutely no comprehension of how massive the industrial mobilisation was.

The British built something on the order of 100k vickers guns during the war. They went from rare to ubiquitous in 4 years. We have absolutely no comprehension of how massive the industrial mobilisation was.
Even more impressive is that they were robust and reliable despite the rapid expansion in output.

The French and Belgians will try and 'catch up' with British developments and the easiest way to do that quickly is to develop a detachable box magazine for their Berthier/Mausers. It will give them close to the same number of rounds at the disposal of the shooter but only require a small change to existing production while a new rifle is developed. But I bet the Belgians will just buy British. The Germans will follow with their own trench magazine.

The News in Tokyo.
13th October 1914, Tokyo.

The signal was received at the Headquarters of the Imperial Japanese Navy, it had travelled a circuitous route from aboard IJN Kurama to be received at the Naval Headquarters, as a result the first signal was relatively short “Met German squadron off Easter Island, enemy destroyed” but what it lacked in length it made up for in importance.

The current Prime Minister Okuma Shigenobu was pleased that his policy of profiting from the war at a low entry price was working so well. He had recently seen economic projections for the next year, they had been revised upwards because of the rapid growth in arms exports. They were also being bolstered by the impact of the strikes in the United States which was hitting American export volumes. The British had given Japan, carte b lanche to attack and take German positions in the northern hemisphere. This would allow the empire to expand its footprint in the Pacific as well as strengthening its position in the contest for the control of the Chinese economy.

The British, French and Russian Ambassadors had received word of the victory and they had also expressed their delight, the Foreign Minister had spoken to the Chilean Ambassador and the Japanese Ambassador to the Chilean Government would pay a call on the President Ramon Barros Luco the following day to discuss the event and to smooth out any ruffled feathers. The British ambassador would also attend the meeting to give additional diplomatic support.

The news spread rapidly rippling out via official and soon unofficial channels, the British Ambassadors cables went to London and then from there went to various points in the Empire. The destruction of the enemy squadron was met with glee in Sydney, it had posed a threat to the troop convoys that were soon to start carrying the pride of Australian and New Zealand manhood off to war.

The Russian Naval Attaché received the news with mixed feelings, his navy had been destroyed by the Japanese and the destruction of a German squadron was a painful reminder of that event, but by the same token the destruction of the Germans made the seas safer for Entente trade.

The news was greeted with considerable unhappiness by the United States Government, whilst they were broadly in favour of an Entente victory, they were dissatisfied by the Japanese entry into the war. Japan was viewed as a strategic threat to United States possessions in the Philippines and their expansion into China was also viewed unfavourably. The US navy was shocked that a Japanese squadron could operate so effectively so far from home, not only covering the great distance from their home port to Easter Island but also to destroy a powerful enemy squadron without major loss themselves.

For the Germans, it was just further bad news in a war that had been going from bad to worse, the German Navy had again suffered a major defeat, and unlike Thornton bank this was no loss to the world’s most powerful navy in which major enemy units were destroyed.

The former prime Minister of Japan Admiral Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe, recently restored to his rank, was even more delighted by the victory, this successful destruction of a powerful enemy squadron so far from home would justify the funds lavished on the Navy. He had already arranged an audience with the emperor for the following morning along with various senior admirals, he didn’t expect much to come of it, but Prince Hirohito would also attend and reinforcing the next emperor’s positive opinion of the Navy could only be to the good.

The people most disheartened by the victory were however also located in Tokyo, they were the officers responsible for the budget for the Imperial Japanese Army. The Diet would soon be voting on the next army budget and with this victory the navy and its supporters could only be buoyed. They would push for an even larger slice of the budget taking advantage of popular sentiment that would see them as winners who proved that the Japanese Empire was the equal of any nation. Their planning would go on into the night, as they sought to rebalance the equation.

Will the IJA be looking to send an expeditionary force to Western Europe? I cannot see the Russians letting the Japanese send any troops through Russia proper but maybe have some reinforce from the Med maybe?

Will the IJA be looking to send an expeditionary force to Western Europe? I cannot see the Russians letting the Japanese send any troops through Russia proper but maybe have some reinforce from the Med maybe?
I would presume so, but didn’t the IJA model itself after the Prussian Army?

Historically it was the IJN that deployed to the Med, the IJA contented itself in grabbing every bit of Central Powers territory in the Far East as it could. Think it was Chinese that ended up in Europe ( as labourers , but could be getting that mixed up with a movie )

I am trying to work out what might be a reasonable size for an initial Japanese force to deploy to France/belgium thinking something between Portuguese expeditionary force and Australian imperial force.

I am trying to work out what might be a reasonable size for an initial Japanese force to deploy to France/belgium thinking something between Portuguese expeditionary force and Australian imperial force.
While there would be a lot of people wanting extra forces in Belgium, could there be a better case for sending them somewhere mountainous like the Balkans, or maybe just somewhere in the Med? I was just thinking of imaged from some Youtube film of the RJ war where the terrain was pretty mountainous, and then about a naval landing force in Gallipoli.
You'd think one or two divisions would be about the minimum, and the Navy might well send similar numbers. If you send them west the artillery supply chain will be a major problem until they get allied guns, but this may be abit less of an issue in the Med.

I could see a Japanese landing on the Dalmatian coast to support Serbia. But that would be tough to stage. It would make the unspeakable sea mammal seem completely sane

I could see a Japanese landing on the Dalmatian coast to support Serbia. But that would be tough to stage. It would make the unspeakable sea mammal seem completely sane
Right up the Imperial Japanese Army's alley. They were well known for undertaking insane operations.

One place that extra troops make no difference is the western front, for impact the Balkans would be better ( the IJA will want a chance at doing something spectacular to counter the IJN's glory from Easter Island )

One place that extra troops make no difference is the western front, for impact the Balkans would be better ( the IJA will want a chance at doing something spectacular to counter the IJN's glory from Easter Island )
I don’t necessarily agree that more troops would help is the western front. More men and more importantly more supplies gives the opportunity to be even more aggressive.