A Better Rifle at Halloween

I could see a Japanese landing on the Dalmatian coast to support Serbia. But that would be tough to stage. It would make the unspeakable sea mammal seem completely sane
That almost sounds quite likely for the Japanese; roll D20, successful on 10 or up, +5 bonus for bushido spirit, +5 for being based out of Malta while the Italians let everybody through as they try to extract maximum concessions out of the Central Powers…

EDIT: I see you’ve read An Unwanted Clairvoyant :)

That almost sounds quite likely for the Japanese; roll D20, successful on 10 or up, +5 bonus for bushido spirit, +5 for being based out of Malta while the Italians let everybody through as they try to extract maximum concessions out of the Central Powers…

EDIT: I see you’ve read An Unwanted Clairvoyant :)
I have just started it today, I think I might have read the first chapter years ago, but I can't remember if I did. It seems excellent so I am looking forward to reading the rest, just need to be careful so it doesn't influence me.

Another Rifle design.
13th October 1914, Petrograd.

Vladimir Fydorov was in St Petersburg, he had been summoned to headquarters to examine a sample of a British rifle that had been received in 1911 as part of an unsolicited offer by the Russian agents for Farquhar Hill. At the time the sales proposal for the rifle had been rejected immediately as being both too expensive to purchase and too complex to manufacture in Russia. Fydorov recalled receiving a briefing note on the subject but paid it no particular attention, various gunsmiths and arms manufacturers were always trying to sell equipment to the Russian Army. He had proposed several different designs hiimself, all of which had gone nowhere but he continued to work on them, after all a successful design would make his fortune.

Colonel Nikolei Filatov of the Oranienbaum Shooting School for Officers had examined the rifle in more detail. With the outbreak of war and the need for rapid expansion of the Russian Army, he had been consulted by several of the new War Industry committees. His discussions with them and the various reports from Belgium on the performance of the Farquhar Hill rifle had reminded him that their was a sample in his schools magazine. He had known Fydorov for some time and had tested a number of his rifle designs, he knew that Fydorov had continued to work on his own Automatic rifle. Thus, his appraisal of both the FH rifle and plans as to how he might improve his own, would be valuable information for the consideration of the Committee.

The Russian Empire was building a massive army, but the war was consuming men and material at a terrifying rate. The current Moisin Nagant was an excellent bolt action rifle but the FHSLR had shown what the future might look like. Filatov knew that the Germans with some of the best and most innovative designers in the world, would be working on their own Automatic rifle, so unless they were met by Russian troops with their own Automatic rifle the result would be carnage.

Responding to the summons Fydorov had brought along a sample of his own automatic rifle, it would be an excellent opportunity to propose it for production for the army. He had put it before Filatov and contrasted the FHSLR with his design,

No. No. No. I'm not mad at all. Just come with me in that dark alley. I've something very interesting to show you... :angel:

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

If the Russians do go with the Fedorov Avtomat they will probably have to go to the US to get them made in reasonable numbers. The generally large number of production orders the Russians will place in the US and the lack of orders from the UK will have some interesting knock-on effects. The US may be more invested on keeping the Tsar on the throne so he can pay them back. More rifles earlier and more German troops going west will also help the Russians do better than in OTL.

But AH may surprise everyone with a conversion of their M95's into a semi auto.

The French might be so desperate for a semi auto they'll take Remington Model 8's in 8mm Lebel pistol cartridge as a stopgap for officers until one of their design programs pans out.

Last edited:
If the Russians do go with the Fedorov Avtomat they will probably have to go to the US to get them made in reasonable numbers. The generally large number of production orders the Russians will place in the US and the lack of orders from the UK will have some interesting knock-on effects. The US may be more invested on keeping the Tsar on the throne so he can pay them back. More rifles earlier and more German troops going west will also help the Russians do better than in OTL.

But AH may surprise everyone with a conversion of their M95's into a semi auto.

The French might be so desperate for a semi auto they'll take Remington Model 8's in 8mm Lebel pistol cartridge as a stopgap until one of their design programs pans out.
Why not go for a Model 8 in a full power rimless cartridge with an extended magazine. Ok they are a bit fragile, but!

Why not go for a Model 8 in a full power rimless cartridge with an extended magazine. Ok they are a bit fragile, but!
Mostly because they already use the 8mm pistol and probably don't want a cartridge that won't work with their new rifle. The French went through the Meunier, Chauchat, RSC 17 then the 18 and still didn't settle on a new standard rifle for the infantry before, what would be called, the Mas-49 in 1940. The French have a history of keeping older rifle long after they should have replaced them just look at them designing and producing 50,000 Lebel R35s in the 1930s.
They will probably want a cartridge they can convert their existing rifles too and I don't think they will be willing to go down a .28/6.8mm cartridge and will insist on a larger full powered rifle round like they did until 1978 with the Famas.

Last edited:
An angry young man
14th October 1914, Hawaii

He was angry an angry young man, his father had been a noble and an important official in the household of Queen Lili’uokalani, but with the coming of the Americans his family had fallen on hard times. His father robbed of his dignity and dismissed from his sinecure, had died penniless, the young man had grown up poor. He had ended up working for the one of the American fruit companies, slaving away in the fields of his own land for the usurper of his birth rights. His encounters with the law had grown worse with time, eventually resulting in a 3-year prison sentence, the Judge staring down at him with contempt in his eyes as he sent him away. For the young man, the degradation in an American prison was the final straw, changing his attitudes and hardening his heart. Prison had been brutal, but not without its own code and lessons to be learnt, he responded, picking up skills not usually gained by young noblemen.

He knew the judge would walk the short distance from his home to the District Court building, he always went the same way at the same time, the streets would be busy but not so busy as to make flight impossible. The judge was ambling along without a care in the world, he didn’t seem to be burdened by his role in dispossessing so many Hawaiian people, displacing their culture and allowing parasites from America to grow fat on the lands and people of his Home.

The young man walked up behind the judge, the contrast between the frail old man and the strong young native was stark. The knife, concealed until the last instant was a fisherman’s, thin of blade but stiff and with a razor-sharp edge. The young man was experienced in its use, his contact with the judge lasted mere seconds, the knife flashing out, punching three narrow but deep holes into the old man’s back. The knifeman didn’t hesitate or pause, simply pushing on past and disappeared into a side street.

The old man crumpled to the pavement, the first person to respond thought the judge had had a heart attack, she tried to make the judge comfortable as he writhed in pain. Unable to speak through the agony of a perforated spleen, and a punctured lung. It wasn’t until nearly a minute later that another good Samaritan, attempting to assist the judge reached under his coat and recoiled in horror at the blood. The police were called, and an ambulance had already been summoned, but it was all for nothing. The judge was dead by the time the ambulance arrived, drowned his own blood on the pavement, his torment, the young man’s revenge had lasted a mere quarter of an hour.

The news spread round the island quickly, some were shocked and horrified, others thought the act that of a patriot of the old ways and wished him well. For the young man it was nothing at all, he simply dumped the knife in the sea and went back to work that afternoon. For Washington the problem was more significant, a federal judge and former governor had been killed, the assailant had not been identified but his race had been.

Given this is the Infamous Wilson Administration this whole thing is going to turn nasty really quickly especially since race is involved.

And certainly wouldn't end enraging the Native Hawaians to the point of mass rioting.......
By this time there were hardly any native Hawaiians left. They suffered massively from imported diseases. The 1910 Census reported 26,041 Hawaiians and 12,506 part-Hawaiians, just over 20% of the whole population. Japanese were 41.5% and Chinese were 23.9%.

Last edited:
Given the liberation of Belgium and the subsequent number of Germans that would wonder into the Netherlands will we see a joint Entente/Central Powers application for the Dutch to release equal numbers of similarly ranked prisoners to their respective sides? I know the Dutch are obligated to hold them until the end of the war but given the numbers involved, costs associated, food shortages they will have in the next couple years and a joint request from both sides I think its reasonable they would send at least some home.