A Better Rifle at Halloween

So roughly 2,000 defenders vs 20,000 attackers? o_O
Not great odds.
However, I think that the MG and artillery developments meant that the ratio of attackers to defenders needed to break a defence was higher than the usual 3:1 for a while until the attackers developed better tactics - 4 or even 5:1 springs to mind, though I can't recall where these came from, so treat as well-meaning guesses.
Here the naval party have good artillery and mg allocations plus naval support, and high morale, which will help. I get the impression the German units are lower quality and had lower morale even before the naval gunfire support.
I'd think that if you could maintain supply and have reinforcements on the way within a few days, holding out would be doable. However, the defenders have little margin for error, though at least they have a chance of being evacuated if it goes badly wrong.

So roughly 2,000 defenders vs 20,000 attackers? o_O
A German Cavalry Corps (I Corps for example) was 2 Cav Divisions each of roughly 5000 men plus some (3 in this example) Jeager Battalions

"The total strength of a division on mobilisation was at least 244 officers, 4862 NCOs and other ranks, 5512 horses (riding and draught) and 197 vehicles and wagons. It commanded 24 cavalry squadrons, 12 field artillery pieces and 6 machine guns."

The Jeager Battalions are "4 light infantry companies, 1 machine gun company (6 MGs)"

So at a guess I think we are looking at about 15000 men all told including LOC and supporting troops - about the strength of a reinforced Infantry Division without the staying power

So it boils down to 24 Cav Squadrons which is about 8 Rifle Company's (Cav Squadrons are half the strength of a rifle company and every 4th man needs to stay with the horses) from each Division for 16 plus the 12 Jaeger company's with 36 guns and 30 machine guns.

So this Cav Corp is attacking with the equivalent of 28 infantry Company's

An RMLI Battalion in 1914 is not as strong as an infantry battalion with much of the 'tail' (support and logi etc) being supplied by the RN - so yeah 2000 men sounds about right - not sure how many men the RN landing parties adds to this - but this is about 10 infantry company equivalents by my reckoning.

Given the terrain features and ground, fortified buildings and heavy NGS - a tough nut for the German cavalry to crack and quite frankly such a job is for the lesser mortals in the infantry.

The BEF Attacks
14th September 1914, near Jurbise.

The guns had opened fire at 6:24, the fire had been as heavy as the gunners could sustain, the ASC had worked heroically to bring up as many shells as possible, ready for the attack. Condsidering the hurried planning the British army had made fairly effective use of the patrolling which had been being carried out each night as well as the efforts of both the RFC and the RNAS to undertake aerial reconnaissance. They knew where the German lines were and the few strong points had been identified, almost entirely well built farmhouses loopholed with firing positions.

These strong points would be targeted by the 4.5” howitzers firing high explosive shells whilst the 15 and 18 pounders of the regular and territorial batteries would concentrate on the German trenches and breastworks. The RGA batteries of both Regular 60 pounders and the territorials 4.7” guns would undertake counterbattery fire, engaging pre identified German batteries. The artillery ceased firing on the front line positions at 6:54 am, the sun had not yet risen, it was that time called civil twilight when the sun was still below the horizon but it was light enough to move around outside without illumination.

The infantry attack had started with the leading brigade of 3rd division, 4 battalions from left to right the 2nd bn Royal Scots, the 1st bn Gordon Highlanders, the 4th bn Middlesex Regiment and the 2nd bn the Royal Irish Regiment, each battalion consisted of almost 1000 men. The advanced using the fire and movement tactics in which they had been trained.

The German troops who holding the defensive positions opened fire immediately, their fire was heavy and effective but they amounted to less than 1000 men holding this section of the front. The bulk of their comrades were attacking Lille and Namur and the front in this area had been allowed to thin. The British brigade rushed forward, rapidly occupying the german front line positions and capturing the village of Bruyeres, the heaviest casualties had been taken by the 4th Battalion Middlesex regiment, they had lost over 250 men killed and wounded breaking into the village, the Gordon Highlanders lost another 150 men with the Royal Scots and the Royal Irish losing only 75 men each. The brigade paused briefly to reorient itself before the attack continued with the second wave brigade passing through Bruyeres to attack Basse Gage. As the second brigade moved up to its jumping off points the artillery repositioned itself to continue to support the advance.

Last edited:
I have just realised that it's been so long since the new rifle has been mentioned that I've completely forgotten what said rifle was meant to be or it's capabilities.

I have just realised that it's been so long since the new rifle has been mentioned that I've completely forgotten what said rifle was meant to be or it's capabilities.
I am sorry i had meant to write a neat little story about the London Scottish holding the messiness ridge due to having a good rifle, then i drowned Kitchener.

I recommend a 4 bore shotgun loaded with the smallest birdshot you can find.
Let's not pussyfoot around:
puntgun_sizecomparison_600px.jpg