2018 Presidential Election

upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Democratic National Convention 2018

Day Three Highlights

Speaker: Sen. Lou Thornton
Quote:
"We have to keep hitting, and hitting and hitting. hitting until they drop. Hitting the bad guys until they finally learn that they are on the wrong side of history"

Speaker: VP John Hoynes
Quote:
"To tell you all the truth, I didn't vote for Sam in the primaries. But who we all voted for back in the spring doesn't matter anymore. What matters is the Peter Gault and his ilk don't get within 10 miles of the White House"

Speaker: Sen. Nicole Kershaw (Sen. Seaborn Introduction)
Quote:
"Sam is my work husband. He has been since my very first day in the Senate. Each and every day we have worked hard to ensure better lives for the people of California. And I know that Sam will keep fighting with the same passion and energy that I've seen over the nearly eight years working with him side by side"

Speaker: Sen. Sam Seaborn accepting the Democratic nomination for President
Quote: "It's time for every American to stand up and say that the time of President Walken’s ostrich-like policy of sticking his head in the sand and hoping that it will all go away is over. The era of Walkenism and Conservatism, is over. I fought for eight years alongside great men like President Jed Bartlett and President Matthew Santos. I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with them will they fought the good fight for this country. Now tonight, and on November 6th, I ask each and every one of you to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with me"

Last edited:

Date: Thursday, July 19th, 2018

Event: 2018 Democratic National Convention

Venue: Progressive Field, aka "The Jake", home of the Cleveland Indians baseball team

Speaker: Senator Samuel “Sam” Norman Seaborn (D-CA), Senior Senator from California

To Chairman Collins and my great friend and fellow Senator Nicole Kershaw; and to all my fellow citizens of this great nation; with profound gratitude and great humility, I accept the Democratic Party’s nomination for President of the United States.

Tonight, as I stand here on this stage, I can only look back to the moment when a man that I consider like father to me, President Josiah Bartlett, told me that one day I would run for President. Even though it was all those years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. It was on the eve of the 2002 New Hampshire Presidential Primary. While we were all waiting around for the results to come in from Hartsfield's Landing, the President was playing each of us in separate games of chess… all at the same time. He beat me, twice, and afterwards he confided in me that he thought that one day I would run for President, well Mr President, I guess you were right - for that and for everything else I can only say thank you.

Sixteen months ago, when I announced my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States, I knew this campaign would be a marathon. Tonight, with the wind at our backs, with friends at our sides and with courage in our hearts, the race to the finish line begins.

And be under no illusions; we’re going to win this race. We're going to win this race.

We're going to win because we are the party that believes in the middle class

We're going to win because we are the party that we should spend more time helping folks on Main Street than protecting the bonuses of the super rich on Wall Street.

We're going to win because we are the party that believes in inclusion, in harmony and in peace.

And We're going to win because we are the party that believes in the American dream.

A dream so powerful that no distance of ground, no expanse of ocean, no barrier of language, no distinction of race or creed or color or sexual orientation or gender identity can weaken its hold on the human heart.

It is a dream that has always set this country apart — that through hard work and sacrifice, each of us can pursue our individual dreams but still come together as one American family, to ensure that the next generation can pursue their dreams as well.

My friends, the dream that carried me to this platform is alive tonight in every part of the country — and it's what the Democratic Party is all about. A party that has said to every child, aim high; to every citizen, you count; to every voter, you can make a difference; to every American, you are a full shareholder in our dream.

That's why I stand here tonight. Because for 242 years, at each moment when that dream was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women — students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors — found the courage to keep it alive.

In these past few years, we have once again come to one of those moments. We have come to moment when so many of our fellow Americans have been left by the wayside. When every year, 15,000 lives are lost to gun violence, when students are compounded by piling and crushing debt, when the rich get richer and poor get poorer and when millions and millions of hardworking Americans are still without healthcare.

These problems may not all be of the current administration’s making, their failure to respond certainly is. The failure to respond can be lain squarely at the feet of President Walken and his administration.

America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this.

This country is more decent than one where a woman in Ohio, on the brink of retirement, finds herself one illness away from disaster after a lifetime of hard work.

This country is more generous than one where a man in Indiana has to pack up the equipment he's worked on for 20 years and watch it shipped off to China, and then chokes up as he explains how he felt like a failure when he went home to tell his family the news.

We are more compassionate than a government that lets veterans sleep on our streets and families slide into poverty; that sits on its hands while American cities drown before our eyes.

Tonight, I say to the American people, to Democrats and Republicans and independents across this great land — enough! This moment — this election — is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive. Because next week, in Florida, the same party that brought you two terms of Glenn Allen Walken and Liz Clark will ask this country for a third. And we are here because we love this country too much to let the next four years look like the last eight. On November 6th, we must stand up and say: "No more”

No more stretching the powers of the Presidency to avoid overturning Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell

No more prioritising tax cuts for corporations over the well being of people across this country

And no more treating people who come to this country to better themselves and help their families like they are less than the rest of us

We must stand up and tell them that they’ve had their eight years of running America like a corporation: only caring about rich at the expense of the poor.

Now, I know there are those in our own party who believe that welfare is no longer a luxury we can afford. I know many of you are scared that you might get left out in the cold, as you have been for these past eight years. But as I stand here tonight, I can assure you that a Seaborn Administration will not fail the poor like this current one has.

America, it’s time for us to take the next great leap forward.

Now is the time to wake up to the new challenges that face the American family. Time to see that young families in this country are never again forced to choose between the jobs they need and the children they love; time to be sure that parents are never again told that no matter how long they work or how hard their child tries, a college education is a right they can't afford.

Now is the time to finally meet our moral obligation to provide every child a world-class education, because it will take nothing less to compete in the global economy. Laura and I are only here tonight because we were given a chance at an education. And I will not settle for an America where some kids don't have that chance. I'll invest in early-childhood education. I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries and give them more support. And in exchange, I'll ask for higher standards and more accountability. And we will keep our promise to every young American — if you commit to serving your community or your country, we will make sure you can afford a college education.

Now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single American. If you have health care, my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves. And as someone who watched my mother argue with insurance companies while she lay in bed dying of cancer, I will make certain those companies stop discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most.

Now is the time to help families with paid sick days and better family leave, because nobody in America should have to choose between keeping their jobs and caring for a sick child or ailing parent.

Now is the time to change our bankruptcy laws, so that your pensions are protected ahead of CEO bonuses, and the time to protect Social Security for future generations.

Now is the time to ensure and secure welfare and Medicaid for the future, to make sure that our neediest of citizens get the helping hand they need.

Now is the time to keep the promise of equal pay for an equal day's work, because I want America’s daughters to have exactly the same opportunities as our sons.

And finally, now it the time to take the final step in marriage equality. In far too many states across our land, the laws of marriage are still dictated by the rule of hatred and bigotry. Right now, in Mississippi, Alan Fisk is fighting the battle to change all that. It’s the same fight that John Hoynes fought for in Texas and so many others have fought over the years. But I stand here tonight and say enough is enough. During my first 100 days in office, I will work with the congressional leadership to make marriage equality the law of the land. A federal law, for all 50 states. And when the time comes, I will appoint judges to the judiciary, who will protect this law, and all of the others that we’re gonna pass too.

Now, I know that everything I’m proposing here will cost money, a lot of it. But don’t worry, I have a plan for that too. It’s time for the top 1% in this country to pay their fair. And it’s damn sure time for the top 1% of the 1% to pay their fair share. We’re going to close all of the loopholes that allow the criminally rich, the same people that President Walken refers to as “job creators”, to keep stuffing their coffers while the poor starve and freeze to death in the streets.

By the end of my first term in office, we will pass universal health care for all, because healthcare is a right for all Americans, not a privilege of the wealthy elite.

And when it comes to combating gun violence, I pledge to all of you that 2018 will be the last year that 15,000 Americans perish because the government stood by and did nothing. The Republicans want to talk about being tough on crime, that’s fine by me, but You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door-to-door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns.

I’m time for every American to stand up and say that the time of President Walken’s ostrich-like policy of sticking his head in the sand and hoping that it will all go away is over. The era of Walkenism and Conservatism, is over. I fought for eight years alongside great men like President Jed Bartlett and President Matthew Santos. I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with them will they fought the good fight for this country. Now tonight, and on November 6th, I ask each and every one of you to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with me. Franklin Hollis, a man who is the physical embodiment of the American Dream, is with me. A man who understands the importance of innovation and imagination. A man who is a tremendous father and brilliant CEO. And, a man who is the next Vice President of the United States.

My friends, it is time to stop looking to the past, and stark looking to the future. Now is the time for a new beginning.

Yes, my friends, it's a time for wonderful new beginnings.

A little baby.

A new Administration.

A new era of greatness for America.

And when we leave here tonight, we will leave to build that future together.

To build the future so that when our children and our grandchildren look back in their time on what we did in our time; they will say that we had the wisdom to carry on the dreams of those who came before us; the courage to make our own dreams come true; and the foresight to blaze a trail for generations yet to come.

And as I accept your nomination tonight, I can't help recalling that the first marathon was run in ancient Greece, and that on important occasions like this one, the people of Athens would complete their ceremonies by taking a pledge.

That pledge — that covenant — is as eloquent and as timely today as it was 2000 years ago.

"We will never bring disgrace to this, our country. We will never bring disgrace to this our country by any acts of dishonesty or of cowardice. We will fight for the ideals of this, our country. We will revere and obey the law. We will strive to quicken our sense of civic duty. Thus, in all these ways, we will transmit this country greater, stronger, prouder and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us."

That is my pledge to you, my fellow Democrats.

And that is my pledge to you, my fellow Americans.

Thank you all, very, very much. Thank you, goodnight, god bless you and your families and god bless these United States of America.

Last edited:
nbs.com, Friday July 20th

Seaborn Hits the Right Notes, But Questions Fly Over Hollis Snub

On the biggest night of his political career Sam Seaborn showed all of the creative skill and oratorical flair that helped him craft some of the most memorable speeches in recent political history and delivered a speech that roused his party for the fight ahead and the race to polling day in November.

Despite the speech being well received in the hall and widely praised by all who watched the questions in the aftermath focused heavily on what wasn’t in the speech. Seaborn dedicated only a quick throwaway comment to his Vice-President leading to renewed questions over the relationship between the top and bottom of the Democratic ticket.

The Seaborn team were clearly taken aback in the spin room as they were repeatedly pressed on why there was so little mention of Hollis and whether this was symptomatic of a wider gulf between the two men. CJ Cregg, who is widely believed to have been the driving force behind the Hollis pick, said that “this speculation was starting to border on hysteria” adding that “tonight was about the Senator laying a vision for American renewal – I know Frank well and I can assure you his ego isn’t so fragile!”

Despite repeated denials there were reports last night that Seaborn’s team cut a significantly longer section on Hollis after the Vice-Presidential nominee’s speech was so well received on Wednesday night. A source close to the campaign said “there were definitely drafts with more Frank in them, I guess the question everyone is asking is whether it was concern that the bottom of the ticket might overshadow the top or whether they thought it was so good he didn’t need it.”

Republicans were, not surprisingly, less impressed. Former White House Chief of Staff Jane Braun said that Seaborn had “selective amnesia” and seemed to be living in a “different America from everyone else.”

Anne Stark who masterminded President Walken’s path to the White House and is now advising Kansas Governor Peter Gault said “President Walken has been a remarkable President, he took over a country bankrupted by Senator Seaborn’s boss and has put us on a path to eliminate the deficit in 2020, has delivered on much needed tax reform – with cross party support I might add, made the country much more competitive and overseen an economic renewal and successfully ended our engagements in Kazakhstan and Gaza.”

politico.com, Friday July 20th

Shallick Has Delegate Edge As Republican Convention Looms

Sources close to the RNC leadership suggest they believe that former White House Chief of Staff Henry Shallick has enough support to secure the party’s nomination on the second ballot next week. The sources who are well connected believe that a number of states most notably Minnesota and North Carolina will switch their support to the former Missouri Governor.

This comes on the back of news last weekend that the Shallick team believe that they now have a deal in place with Indiana not to switch their support on a second ballot. If this holds true then Governor Shallick would secure the nomination – but it would depend on him preventing any leakage from his existing support.

The concern in Kansas City seems to center around Nevada, Arizona and Indiana and whether they can hold all of Congressman Will Durham’s votes when he inevitably drops out.

Suggestions of a Shallick – Durham deal seemed to be undermined by Washington State and Massachusetts who have both said they won’t simply jump if Durham were to back Shallick – the announcement led to a furious row between Shallick’s team and Washington Governor Sean Boone.

Republican strategist and TV host James Eaton suggested that Shallick is now playing on ground where he has a strong advantage. “Shallick is much better connected than Gault, he knows everyone, his team know everyone, they are twisting all the right arms and greasing the right wheels. Gault is really struggling to keep up and his outsider message falls a bit flat when he’s trying to convince a bunch of ultimate insiders.”

newswire.com, Friday July 20th

BREAKING NEWS:

Republican Presidential candidate Henry Shallick announces that should he win the nomination at next week's convention that he will nominate Minnesota Senator Jack Hunter as his Vice-Presidential selection.

twitter.com, Friday July 20th

@jameseaton Wow, Shallick team confirming text message - Hunter has agreed to join Shallick ticket

@taylorreid Shallick really putting it out there - he's throwing everything at it now. Hunter an inspired choice

@nashrockford Only issue I can see is I think I'd rather have President Hunter than President Shallick

Great speech from Sam but a couple of things.

1: Is that a line from the American President I see? The one about the guns?

2: As I've said to people in the past, any politician who says "I'm going to get the guns" is heading straight to the back of the dole queue. Even in the West Wing verse its a vote loser.

3: What happened to the Sam who said he "climbs under a table and changes his name" whenever someone says the 1% should pay their fair share?

As the "American President" was the effective pilot to "The West Wing" it was a nod to that, and the fact it fitted well into the speech.
As for Sam and the 1%, "it's politics baby"!!

mspence

Banned
Hmm I wonder if Shallick could now make it a much closer race. The Seaborn campaign was probably hoping that Gault would have a lock on the Republican nomination.

Saturday July 21st 2018

Gault hits back at Shallick VP pick as a "political coup d'état"

In a late night press conference Kansas Governor Peter Gault hit back at his main rival for the Republican nomination, Henry Shallick's announcement of Minnesota Senator Jack Hunter as his running-mate.

Gault had been in the air flying from Kansas to Tampa ahead of the Republican convention which starts on Monday evening. His team then went into "lock-down" at the "Grand Hyatt" hotel on how to handle the implications of the Shallick announcement. At just before midnight, Florida time, Governor Gault emerged to read a statement to the press himself.

"The decision of Henry Shallick earlier today to announce his running-mate is little more than a political coup d'état. By announcing his VP before he's got the nomination, he's essentially crowned himself as the nominee thus denying the delegates their right to have a say" he added "this shows that he (Shallick) is running scared and is desperate. He knows he is going to lose on the second or third ballot. He has already failed to buy me and Congressman Durham off, and he has failed in his attempts to bully the delegates from Massachusetts and Washington State into switching to him on the first ballot, something that was against an agreement all three campaigns had agreed, that on the first ballot, that there would be no switching of delegates from those decided during the primaries. I've been accused by the Shallick campaign of using "stunts" during this campaign, my genuine and heartfelt outreach to the LGBTQ community and my meeting with Secretary Vinick, well that pretty rich in my book, because his picking of Senator Hunter, is exactly that a "stunt" and it's a last ditch effort to try and sway the delegates, and another attempt by the Republican establishment at a stitch-up, well this aren't over, the gloves are now off" and with that Governor Gualt walked from the podium without taking any questions.

Last edited: