Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Pretty good map!
Thanks.
A couple tips/suggestions: the borders for Virginia were filled in VA's color, so there's nothing seperating it from the other countries. Also, you might want to make the borders between the CAS, Virginia, and the US grey. Blue borders seems to be internal borders in this map, whereas the rest of the borders are grey.

Have you got an Imajin Monitor? ;) The borders between the CAS, Virginia and the USA are grey, and Virginia's colour is distinct from the grey (although I admit that shade of beige is probably a bit close, especially for the colour blind...)

EDIT: Except the Pennsylvania-Maryland border which I appear to have missed by accident.

Have you got an Imajin Monitor? ;) The borders between the CAS, Virginia and the USA are grey, and Virginia's colour is distinct from the grey (although I admit that shade of beige is probably a bit close, especially for the colour blind...)

EDIT: Except the Pennsylvania-Maryland border which I appear to have missed by accident.

D'oh! For the Virginian border, I didn't look very close. :eek:

I'm not sure how I got confused about the borders that were supposed to be blue but actually are blue, I may have just seen the PA-MD border and jumped to conclusions.

Also, unless the Americans originally held NO and then it was taken by the Brits, it's unlikely that the US would extend that far south and very unlikely they'd extend that far west.

Yeah, nice map!

just one note - this should be engraved in ten-foot letters of fire at the front of the map thread - if you're doing N'Am maps, learn your rivers and watersheds. Yes, there are a lot of straight-line borders. there are also (esp early on) a lot of watershed boundaries, and river boundaries.

Thande

Donor
Also, unless the Americans originally held NO and then it was taken by the Brits, it's unlikely that the US would extend that far south and very unlikely they'd extend that far west.
The New Orleans thing was my interpretation of a stalemate at the end of the *War of 1812 which leaves British troops in control of the strategic coastline but the interior being hic sunt dracones, and America not being in a weak enough position at the bargaining table for Britain to try and obtain the interior as well (which, AFAIK, we didn't really care about it any case).

The western expansion I see as the USA trading (most of) Florida to Mexico in exchange for those sparsely settled lands as an outlet for American settlers at the treaty in 1819.

The Pacific 1944 after WWII.
Red: USSR
Teal: US
Yellow: Americas Coalition
Pink: British Empire
Brown: Canada
Dark Blue: French Empire
Pink: Soviet Puppet States
Burgundy: Communist China
Grey-Blue: Republic of China

What's the difference here? I notice the USA never got involved in the Pacific, but then, Japan seems to have been a whole lot weaker, or else was slammed sooner from many directions.

Nitpick of nitpicks: French Fiji?

The beginning of an interesting AH idea I had, based on the five steps of economic union. I present you, the beginnings of the Continental System!

Here is France and the other countries in the system as of 1796. Currently the Continental System is only on the first step toward economic union, a free trade area.

Continental_System_France_1796.png

Thande

Donor
The beginning of an interesting AH idea I had, based on the five steps of economic union. I present you, the beginnings of the Continental System!

Here is France and the other countries in the system as of 1796. Currently the Continental System is only on the first step toward economic union, a free trade area.

Er...the Continental System was only instituted by Napoleon after 1805...or do you mean the name is being used for something different earlier on by the Consulate?

Haven't done a map for a while, so here we go. POD's in the 1810s, something to do with the Mexican Revolution and the War of 1812.

I know there's probably a fair few anachronisms here, but I take these as a learning experience when people thus inform me about North American history in a Zeddesque fashion.
Hm, it seems like there'd be some sort of settlement in the coastal areas of the Oregon Country by this point... if the Americans have full-fledged states in the west, and there are settlements on that island whose name I always forget is if it's Vancouver or Victoria, how does that area manage to remain an untamed wilderness?

On the other hand, you have retained the Massachusetts-Maine combo, which is rarely done, nice...

Where's the map ? :confused:

Okay. I know I uploaded the danged thing, but the internetski tells me otherwise.
Alternate colonisation (as many of my maps suggest, one of my favourite subjects). However, contrary to most of my maps, the British Empire got the shorter end of the stick. Butterflies have been suppressed slightly.

The Pink Map of the Portuguese was accepted during the Berlin Conference, and no ultimatum was issued.
The siege of Khartoum in 1886 turned extraordinarily bad, and British influence in the Soudan was asserted. The Fashoda Incident led to a small-scale colonial war between France and Britain, with the French occupying South Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya-Uganda, and Somaliland.
Due to the waning British influence in northern Africa, the Russians took hold in central Asia and China. Their influence spread, while the British tried- mostly unsuccessfully- to keep up.
The incidents in Morocco in 1905 led to full Moroccan independence, but the Germans just as quickly offered 'protection,' and Morocco is all but a German vassal. German influence in the Congo also grew thanks to the Belgians' severe lack of colonial forces far from the coast.
The Baghdad Line in the Ottoman Empire was completed, leading to strong German influence in the region. In addition, German forces in the Ottoman Empire frequently skirmish with Russian troops running over the northeastern section of Anatolia.
And, in Europe, the United States of Greater Austria works hand in hand with the Ottomans to keep the Balkans at peace.
Anyway...

map26.PNG

Hm, it seems like there'd be some sort of settlement in the coastal areas of the Oregon Country by this point... if the Americans have full-fledged states in the west, and there are settlements on that island whose name I always forget is if it's Vancouver or Victoria, how does that area manage to remain an untamed wilderness?

On the other hand, you have retained the Massachusetts-Maine combo, which is rarely done, nice...

Vancouver. Victoria is the largest city on it.

Here's a map inspired by Michael Moorcock's Warlord of the Air.

(Snippage)

And they're quite right. In the hinterlands of long-partitioned China, a warlord has emerged to challenge the rulers of his nation. Working in secret, embracing every genius or dissident who've found their ideas repressed who come to him, he plans around the clock, waiting for the moment when he can strike...

~~~~~

And here's the map.

Comments?

Where's that Chinese hinterland? Looks all pretty thoroughly colonized to me...

(and I'm pretty sure in the original, the US doesn't control _directly_ all of Latin America, but just puppetizes it. But then this is _inspired_ by it, so it doesn't have to be strictly accurate...)
best,
Bruce

A ten-minute, ASB map with a 45-minute bit of blather:

In 2003, annoyed by the flight suit posturing, an ASB decides to give Bush some real challenges: it plunks 4 new superpowers into the game.

1. The Caliphate of Far Damascus – 350 million people, about as advanced technologically as OTL US, if a bit poorer due to a more managed economy and more expensive energy (say West Germany). The Caliph is mostly a figurehead; the Caliphate is more of an oligarchic republic, with the balance of power between bureaucracy, religious authorities, the Grand Council and the Vizierate constantly shifting due to various pressure groups (religious, scientific, big business, huge organized charities, the Jewish and Christian minorities - speaking of which, the Caliphate considers itself a paradise of civilized values – why, they even gave pagans (Hindus, Buddhists…) the vote recently!)

Women have the vote and there are many female scientists and politicians, and can even go out in public without a veil. Of course, neither a male or female citizen of the Caliphate would ever think of going out without properly baggy and enveloping robes, in spite of the scandalous stuff that goes on nowadays at some private beaches. ( http://www.bikiniscience.com/chronology/1700-1900_SS/E188601_S/E188601_J/E18860101.JPG )

It is a polite and civilized society, much given to Arabian Nights-ish flowery language, but behind the scenes it is also a ferociously competitive society, and things can get pretty nasty if you offend the wrong people. The Caliphate has ICBMs that can reach anyplace in the globe, but not very many – its Islam-dominated world is a generally peaceful one, and Northern Europe is a distant land of violent and religion-besotted barbarians (the citizens of the Caliphate are generally fairly religious, but they are never _rude_ about it, and can’t imagine suicide bombers as anything but Hussites or some other brand of European Christian).

It’s a racially mixed society, settled by a mix of Andalusi and people from the West African Islamic states, not to mention refugees from the Persian wars and Hindus looking for a better life far, far away from the Sultanate of Ind. The language is an Arab-Berber mix sprinkled with West African words, although anyone with a decent education can read and write Classical Arabic. Like much of its world, it gets much energy from solar and nuclear power – with one of the centers of this worlds scientific revolution sitting right on top of the worlds largest oil fields, petroleum was used industrially rather earlier than OTL, and Peak Oil was hit a while back.

2. The Empire of Japan, from a TL similar to Randy McDonald’s “Tripartite Alliance” world. Includes Taiwan and a few bits of Indonesia they picked up in the post-WWIII chaos. About 180 million people (78% Japanese, 22% Taiwanese, Balinese, etc. and post-chaos refugees (about 9 million of which still lack the vote). Richer and technologically more advanced than OTL Japan, with computer tech and antimissile defenses at least a generation ahead of ours…for this remains a somewhat dangerous world, what with nutty technocratic post-humanist Siberia, the nuclear armed SE rump of what was once the US, and the bloody African Unification movement. This Japan, never occupied by US forces in a rather different alt-WWII, remains a more militaristic society, although it is currently probably a better democracy than the OTL Japanese virtual one-party state, with a multitude of squabbling political parties. It is also a rather more cosmopolitan state than OTL, although racism persists.

Anime and Manga flourish as well here, but there is less of a Pedo element to it – most of the Empire’s inhabitants would find the “hello kitty” vibrator almost as creepy as OTL Americans would. It’s also rather big on autonomy – the breakdown of trade in the wake of WWIII nearly led to mass starvation (fortunately, the US president in this TL wasn’t crazy enough to nuke Japan or Europe “just for the hell of it”). It has invested heavily in hydroponics and biotech, and the “green towers” can expand their production quickly to (barely) feed the population in case of a trade breakdown, and it uses an even higher share of nuclear power in it’s energy consumption than OTL France. And in the north Pacific, the captain of the nuclear sub “Yamato” is becoming increasingly worried about the very odd signals they are picking up…

3. The Byzantine Empire, from a world like Turtledove’s series, where Islam never arose. The Empire has waxed and waned over the millennia, but has never fallen, and traces it’s history back to the old city in Italy, currently under the rule of the French Imperium, their principal rival in Europe. It’s 247 million inhabitants inhabit a bustling commercial society as rich as the USA OTL, trading not only with their fellow Orthodox [*] in Africa and Rus’ and the Magyar Empire, but also with the Nestorian Khanates of the East, the Catholic West, the very odd syncreticists of India, the Jews of Arabia and the Desert Continent, and beyond. (More resource-poor and with bigger-GNP neighbors than the US, trade is a larger chunk of the Empire’s GNP than it is of the US). It’s a genuinely tolerant society, and although the Romans (as they think of themselves) still love a good theological argument, nowadays nobody gets _killed_ as a result. (Although many TV careers often perish through poor research). Not that they’re a particularly perfect people – when it comes to a snobbish certainty on their own superiority, they make Victorian Englishmen or the French of any era look like tyros, and politics are turbulent and vituperative to say the least.

The Emperor is still powerful, but is careful nowadays not to offend the powerful Restored Senate and the huge industrial combines which some people claim _really_ run the empire. (They’re wrong. It’s actually run by the worlds longest continually operating bureaucracy, which has files going back to Justinian’s day). Besides being a rich society, it is also a well-armed one: the Empire has waxed and waned since the days of Herakleios the Restorer, and the world is a complex, many-centered one in which nobody can be certain of their supremacy. One has to keep an eye on the French, the Arabians, even the Rus’, dynastic intermarriages or not. The last big war – to prevent the Vajaras from unifying all of the Trans-Indus under their rule – killed tens of millions in two dozen countries, and now that there are nuclear weapons, one must worry if Wei will invade Chao, whether the Confederation in North Atlantea will ever get its act together, what do about the Reunification Party in Mauretania…not to mention the current competition with Rus’ and the self-titled “Roman” empire in South Atlantea to put a man on Mars. Frankly, the move to our TL, Nazis aside, is almost relaxing.
* - well, there _are_ the Copts. But they have been fairly quiet since Emperor Constantine VII freed Egypt from the Turks and put forth his Edict of Toleration, which since has only once been violated, with near-disastrous results (by Emperor Leonidas “the Numbskull.”)

4. The Nazis – who else? From a TL where the US stayed out of the war due to internal problems of their own – Roosevelt never went into politics, and president Huey Long’s term in office was, shall we say, a wee bit divisive – and the Nazis (barely) won a six-year war of attrition that bled them white. The Reich _looks_ big and scary, but it is a bit of an ersatz superpower – of its 293 million inhabitants, between a quarter and a third are serfs or slave laborers or miserably poor inhabitants of Slavic Bantustans that don’t add much to the economic product. The Reich is rather poorer than the US of its TL, which in turn is poorer than OTLs US. (OTLs average Spaniard probably has a better standard of living than the average member of the Master Race, and doesn’t have to worry about the “knock on the door.”) It took _decades_ to deal with the economic disaster that Hitler’s policies had made out of the Eastern Region, even longer to bring Party corruption down to Thai rather than Nigerian levels. OTOH, they have lots and lots and lots of nukes, some of them in orbit.

(On the positive side, they’re big on environmentalism, and some of the depopulated parts of the East have some lovely national forests overgrowing the ruins of old farms and villages). :D

The rather harried current Reichsfuhrer, who of late has been wondering whether surrender to the Americans is preferable to blowing up the planet, sees some opportunities in the new situation: now if he can only prevent a war from breaking out between the Reich and those very strange people with which said Reich now shares a border where Fascist Georgia and Turkey used to be…

Bruce

The Pacific 1944 after WWII.
Red: USSR
Teal: US
Yellow: Americas Coalition
Pink: British Empire
Brown: Canada
Dark Blue: French Empire
Pink: Soviet Puppet States
Burgundy: Communist China
Grey-Blue: Republic of China
]
Just what the hell is Mexico doing?:eek:

Haven't done a map for a while, so here we go. POD's in the 1810s, something to do with the Mexican Revolution and the War of 1812.

I know there's probably a fair few anachronisms here, but I take these as a learning experience when people thus inform me about North American history in a Zeddesque fashion.
A CSA without Virginia?

Virginia sustaining itself?

:eek:

1850, two years after the Mexican-American War where the United States took a little more land then in OTL which causes a domino effect in Europe (Kingdom of North Italy forms = Balkanization of the Austrian Empire = an earlier German unifacation)

Last edited:

Republic of Canada :eek::eek:

:mad:

Thande

Donor
Just what the hell is Mexico doing?:eek:
Basically the idea is they became a stable unitary state from the get-go in the 1810s and beat the Spanish more quickly. And then form a strategic alliance with the British Empire, especially after the loss of Canada in the 1830s. I think Jared had an idea for a full TL about this.

A CSA without Virginia?

Virginia sustaining itself?

:eek:
My underlying thinking is that in this USA there is no prospect of a Missouri compromise (because there just aren't enough southern territories to balance the slave states with the free states) so the kerfuffle over slavery happens earlier on, say the 1840s, when the North manages to force the admission of Louisiana as a free state.

The slave states are allowed to secede without military conflict, and though acting as independent states, then banded together into the CAS for mutual defence. The CAS has a constitutional charter guaranteeing slavery to perpetuity; however, growing abolitionist sentiment in Virginia in the 1870s, combined with a dissatisfaction of being yoked to the CAS' divergent agenda, led to a Virginian withdrawal.

I should note that in this scenario I see Virginia, the CAS and Canada as being economic satellites of the USA, whatever their governments try and pretend.

Republic of Canada :eek::eek:

:mad:

I just wanted to throw in something a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.