2018 Presidential Election

NBS.com

Friday, November 16th 2018

House Democrats fill out committee chairs, reelect party leaders

Democrats in the House of Representatives, amidst the celebratory atmosphere and laying the groundwork for the first few months of Sam Seaborn's presidency, have finalized their selection of committee chairs and party leaders for the one chamber of Congress that they control. Although Speaker Daniel Maddox (IL) will not formally be re-elected until the new House first meets on January 3rd, he reportedly did not have any challengers within the Democratic caucus when the caucus met today in Washington. Majority Leader Noah Gellman (VA), Majority Whip Eve Howard (CA) and Democratic Caucus Chair Josie Bail (OH) similarly were re-nominated unopposed. Notably, all four nominees have the support of the establishment as well as both the moderate Blue Dog and liberal progressive wings of the party, a sign many attribute to Speaker Maddox's careful balancing act between different party factions as well as signals from President-elect Seaborn to avoid a congressional leadership shakeup before he is inaugurated.

Of the 20 committee chair positions, almost all of them will be retained from the previous Congress. Young Nathan Petrelli (NY) will be the new chair of the House Armed Services Committee after incumbent Charles Inboden (MS) lost re-election. Retiring House Ethics Committee Chair Karen Lawson (NY) will be succeeded by her protege Keira Briggs (NY). Reports have suggested that House Ways and Means Committee chair Drake Headley (WI) is being considered for a position in the Seaborn administration, something neither Congressman Headley nor the presidential transition team have confirmed or denied.

House Republicans met on Tuesday to re-elect Mitchell Harris (IN) as minority leader after fighting off a long-shot bid by James Culkin (AZ) to unseat him. Andrew Casey (NY) was elected unopposed for a second term as minority whip after taking over from now-senator Barbara Layton (NC) in 2017.

------------------------------------

OOC: Here are the committee chairs and ranking members for the incoming House of Representatives, subject to possible change

Sy9ATLQ.png

Columbia Bugler
November 16th, 2018

Sam Wendt wins in South Carolina!

Controversial 2010 Republican Presidential hopeful, and former Republican congressman has won. His race to become the state representative for the state's 65th district, as an Independent many saw his chances as little to known, but fighting Sam Wendt pulled through winning his rural western district by 400 votes out of a total 9,000 cast. This victory by Wendt seen as a surprise by many in South Carolina including a State Republican Official who was quoted as saying this, "Sam is a good man, but I wonder if the stress of running for office will turn him back to the bottle."

Former Congressman Wendt said, "This is a victory for not just me, but a victory for all of South Carolina. I have decided to caucus with the Republican Party in the South Carolina state house, as I was once a Republican. I believe that I am only three things in life, those are a Christian, a Patriot, and a Conservative. Those three things don't hold a partisan affiliation with them, but with President-Elect Seaborn being such a liberal Democrat. I don't think he'll much stand up for South Carolinas values."

Wendt promised to be a politician that wasn't bought and sold by corporate special interests, on the campaign trail a few days prior to the election he said, "When I was in Congress I did some things I am not proud of today. I was bought and sold by whoever donated the most to my campaigns, I didn't hold the values that Jesus had endowed into us the day he sacrificed his body for all of our sins past, present, and future. When Im in the state house come January I will promise you I will be standing up to these people, to hell with offshore drilling we're gonna keep our beaches clean."

Many including some of the staff at the Bugler thought it was obscene that Representative elect-Wendt would ever challenge for a political position again. After all, we do remember that his disastrous 2010 campaign where he was seen as a rising star among the party, before he was eventually expelled for having a problem with alcoholism. He is still only in his early 50's (53) and could make a political future for himself, if his term in the state house goes well. One of the biggest shocks of the night here in South Caorlina, Fmr. Congressman Sam Wendt has been elected to the South Carolina state house as an Independent. We all ask this question tonight, what does the future hold for Mr.Wendt.

So Mark has graciously shared the PV results with me ahead of posting them to the thread as PDFs. With them, I've been able to create the infoboxes for the US elections that just wrapped up:

President
wwpres18a.png

Congressional

wwcongress18.png

Gubernatorial
wwgovernors18.png

Last edited:
nbs.com, Saturday November 17th

President-Elect Announces Key White House Staff; Cregg takes Senior Role

In an announcement this morning the office of President-Elect Sam Seaborn has confirmed a number of senior White House staff positions and confirmed that they are meeting with potential candidates for key cabinet positions.

Campaign chief C.J. Cregg will return to the White House where she previously served President Bartlet as Chief of Staff but this time in the role of Senior Advisor for Intergovernmental Relations. Cregg is expected to have a wide ranging policy portfolio and will be key in liasing with the office of the Vice-President.

In addition to Cregg the announcement confirmed that Mark Sterns will serve as the White House Communications Director. Sterns has worked closely with Seaborn since his failed run for Congress fifteen years ago.

They also announced that Jordan McLaurin will take the role of Chief of Staff to Vice-President Frank Hollis. McLaurin has most recently held the same role for Virginia Senator Louise Thornton.

politico.com, Saturday November 17th

Thorn Favourite for Secretary of State; Headley under consideration for Treasury

With President-Elect Seaborn now very much focused on his transition rumours are beginning to surface around potential names for a number of key positions with some suggestions a couple of leading position may be announced as early as next week.

One surprise name in the mix is Seaborn's primary rival, New York Senator Andrew Thorn. Despite a contentious Primary the two have patched up their issues and Thorn threw himself into the campaign stumping hard for Seaborn in a number of swing states. Sources close to the White House suggest that he is very much in consideration for the most prestigious of cabinet positions. Another of the front runners for the role, former UN Ambassador Nancy McNally is believed to have ruled herself out due to her husband being in ill health.

After state the Treasury department is creating a significant amount of chatter with Ways and Means Chairman Drake Headley being mentioned as the leading contender. Headley has a formidable reputation and has friends on both sides of the aisle - he was instrumental in delivering the bi-partisan tax reform that many credit with driving the success of the economy for the past eight years. He reportedly faces competition from Congresswoman and former Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Meredith Payne.

The campaign have refused to comment on any rumours saying only that they were vetting and meeting with leading candidates over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
ACN- November 17th, 2018

ACN- Atlantis Cable News

Oregon Lt. Gov officially changes party registration as GOP looks ahead to 2019

Portland, Oregon- Cliff Connell, the Lieutenant Governor of Oregon, announced via twitter this morning that he was officially changing his party registration to Republican. Connell, who was elected 3 years ago as part of a unity ticket with then-State Senator Walter Collins, has been highly critical of the his now former party during his tenure as Oregon's number-2 man, particularly the direction of the national party, which he claims "has veered far to the left". A life long Democrat, Connell previously served as US Attorney for Oregon and was a Democratic Candidate for Governor 7 years ago, losing to eventual winner, Paul Chang. There is no official word as of yet if Governor Collins plans to seek re-election, but all signs are certainly pointing to it. Polling data shows that Governor Collins still enjoys a 71% approval rating, the highest of any governor in the nation.

On the Democratic side of 2019, early polling shows that Former Lieutenant Governor Callum Hinchcliffe and Portland Mayor Mitch DiSarro are the frontrunners for the Gubernatorial nomination. either man would face a serious up hill battle to topple Collins next Novmeber

I give CJ less than a year in her new position. Somebody like her has to be in control at all times and I can see conflicts arising with Will and the Chief of Staff to the VP. She also burned a lot of bridges during the campaign. Even though they won it should have never been that close.

I give CJ less than a year in her new position. Somebody like her has to be in control at all times and I can see conflicts arising with Will and the Chief of Staff to the VP. She also burned a lot of bridges during the campaign. Even though they won it should have never been that close.

She likes to be in control always, maybe but she can work as team. What do you call her 6 years as Press Secretary?

She likes to be in control always, maybe but she can work as team. What do you call her 6 years as Press Secretary?
Working under the control of somebody like Leo. She wouldn’t be working as a member of a team, though. She is somebody without any ironed out job responsibilies who will have access to the President and Vice-President.

I just see a lot of issues arising.

Working under the control of somebody like Leo. She wouldn’t be working as a member of a team, though. She is somebody without any ironed out job responsibilies who will have access to the President and Vice-President.

I just see a lot of issues arising.

Par for the course in politics ^^.

Does Josh Lyman have a place in a Seaborn administration? Or Toby Ziegler? Or any other TWW originals?

I doubt either will. Josh has pretty much proven himself too hard to work with while Toby was essentially (although not legally) a traitor to the United States.

Having too many originals limits the opportunities for Sam to get new opinions from new people.

I don’t think Josh is qualified to be Secretary of Education, and the same goes for CJ as UN Ambassador.

Quincy is currently a Justice on the Supreme Court. I doubt he would leave that.

CJ was White House Chief of Staff during the beginning of the War in Kazakhstan and authored a UNSC Resolution to end human trafficking in Darfur. There's no way she can be considered unqualified for UN Ambassador. UN Ambassador also gives her something to do while keeping her away from the White House, which is probably best for everyone right now.

CJ was White House Chief of Staff during the beginning of the War in Kazakhstan and authored a UNSC Resolution to end human trafficking in Darfur. There's no way she can be considered unqualified for UN Ambassador. UN Ambassador also gives her something to do while keeping her away from the White House, which is probably best for everyone right now.
I think what Seaborn wants is to make his own path. He's going to be president.