Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
One wonders how the effects of this timeline would affect Putin's upbringing.

Putin, in his childhood, would have to deal with an ever paranoid Soviet government, and waiting in line for the most basic foods. He would have been about 15 when the August Revolution, and could potentially fight in the Second Civil War.

Would all this make him an anticommunist?

Putin, in his childhood, would have to deal with an ever paranoid Soviet government, and waiting in line for the most basic foods. He would have been about 15 when the August Revolution, and could potentially fight in the Second Civil War.

Would all this make him an anticommunist?
Perhaps, especially if the events around him effect him more than just waiting in the most basic of foods.

How was Putin as a child? How was he as a son?

Perhaps, especially if the events around him effect him more than just waiting in the most basic of foods.

How was Putin as a child? How was he as a son?

I get the impression that as a child, he always had some kind of hunger for power.

Maybe as an adult, he could still turn into a politician, but he'll be playing by very different rules.

chankljp

Donor
Besides Comedy, I what other forms and subforms of culture would look like.

Like Spy Movies. Who will James Bond spy on?

Well, if you look at the old Cold War era James Bond movies, 007 doesn't actually fight the Soviets that often. In fact, more often than not, the KGB is more like a 'worthy rival' or even 'anti-hero allies' instead of outright being the antagonists. Take for example the head of the KGB in the series, General Gogol: In all the movies that he showed up in he was alway polite towards both M and Bond, at one point, even stopped his bodyguard from shooting the latter when he stopped the KGB from getting their hands on a British decryption machine. Or Anya/XXX, the female KGB agent in "The Spy Who Loved Me", who was for the most part a co-hero alongside 007.

So for TTL, I am guessing that the KGB will take the place of SPECTRE as the main villain for the most part. And once the USSR collapses, you will see a lot of the Bond Villains and the Henchman having former KGB/Red Army officer/Communist terrorist as part of their background.

Well, if you look at the old Cold War era James Bond movies, 007 doesn't actually fight the Soviets that often. In fact, more often than not, the KGB is more like a 'worthy rival' or even 'anti-hero allies' instead of outright being the antagonists. Take for example the head of the KGB in the series, General Gogol: In all the movies that he showed up in he was alway polite towards both M and Bond, at one point, even stopped his bodyguard from shooting the latter when he stopped the KGB from getting their hands on a British decryption machine. Or Anya/XXX, the female KGB agent in "The Spy Who Loved Me", who was for the most part a co-hero alongside 007.

So for TTL, I am guessing that the KGB will take the place of SPECTRE as the main villain for the most part. And once the USSR collapses, you will see a lot of the Bond Villains and the Henchman having former KGB/Red Army officer/Communist terrorist as part of their background.

In the books, it was the SMERCH the enemy, so they might bring this back.

Regarding time travelling people probably would ask "would you kill Stalin?" instead "Would you kill Hitler?".

And just wondering how people would see Russians. Their reputation probably is pretty much worse than Germans after WW2.
In my opinion, nah - people would still more often ask "would you kill Hitler?"

People were well aware of Stalin committing atrocity after atrocity in OTL, too, and I still stand behind the opinion that TTL Stalin isn't magnitudes worse than OTL Stalin (because OTL Stalin was already fuckin terrible).

When I first read this TL I was afraid that the far right would get a massive boost in this timeline but so far it hasn't.
Still, there were mentions that far-right nationalism rose in Eastern Europe after the Russian refugee crisis. And we still don't know who will take the reins in future Russia if the Soviets are defeated (the Christian Democrat party is the most popular political movement in the CNS, as for the last update, but there is nothing set in stone...)

no one

Banned
what the world war 2 call of duty games look like ITTL? there were missions in these games where you played as the USSR.with which nation would you play instead? france? canada?

what the world war 2 call of duty games look like ITTL? there were missions in these games where you played as the USSR.with which nation would you play instead? france? canada?
No matter how much people don't like the USSR in this world, they were still a member of the United Nations and the anti-German coalition, so I believe there would still be USSR levels in WW2 games and games about the Eastern Front. If the Cold War didn't stop that from happening in OTL, it wouldn't in TTL.

Of course, perhaps with some differences. Perhaps Stalin's military illiteracy is more emphasized, or the Eastern Front is whitewashed as "unfortunate Russians suffering under both their own regime and the brutal Nazis".

No matter how much people don't like the USSR in this world, they were still a member of the United Nations and the anti-German coalition, so I believe there would still be USSR levels in WW2 games and games about the Eastern Front. If the Cold War didn't stop that from happening in OTL, it wouldn't in TTL.

Of course, perhaps with some differences. Perhaps Stalin's military illiteracy is more emphasized, or the Eastern Front is whitewashed as "unfortunate Russians suffering under both their own regime and the brutal Nazis".

Battles like Stalingrad, despite who the victor was, are still very, very important to world history, and would not be ignored.

On the plus side, somebody might do a video game of the Second Russian Civil War, giving a glowing image of the CNS, in spite of their own brutal tactics.

That or the Soviets are going to be in a much less sympathetic light than OTL, or at least the regime is; same will apply to other mediums.

In my opinion, nah - people would still more often ask "would you kill Hitler?"

People were well aware of Stalin committing atrocity after atrocity in OTL, too, and I still stand behind the opinion that TTL Stalin isn't magnitudes worse than OTL Stalin (because OTL Stalin was already fuckin terrible).
The thing is that OTL Stalin didn't drop nukes on China or unleash a plague on them. So I would say TTL Stalin is way worse.

The thing is that OTL Stalin didn't drop nukes on China or unleash a plague on them. So I would say TTL Stalin is way worse.

Stalin was always a power-hungry, racist paranoid willing to kill and murder his allies to get to the top. OTL, he was already persecuting the Jews and other ethnic groups, and planning another purge.

Suffering a stroke just made those qualities ten times worst.

A better question would be what would MGS 3s location be? I think it would have to be Cuba b/c its the only communist nation in the early 60s ITTL thats not a complete shit show

A better question would be what would MGS 3s location be? I think it would have to be Cuba b/c its the only communist nation in the early 60s ITTL thats not a complete shit show
Don't see why it can't be the USSR just like in OTL, just adjust a few story beats to be more anti-Soviet.

Status
Not open for further replies.