Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think sometime in the 80's or 90's, there would be some very brutal, Oscar-baiting movie about a Chinese Soldier who survives the abject hell that is the Sino-Soviet War and its aftermath.

In my contribution on China's recovery, I imagined a Chinese refugee writing an autobiography about her terrifying life, which was made into a movie by a Hong Kong director.

Given the amount of Jewish refugees from the Soviet Union and larger material to work with, I can also expect that there will be a major increase of production of Holocaust movies (about both Holocausts, of course).

Not just that, but antisemitism in general.

One idea is a movie about the Beilis trial, a blood libel trial in the last years of tsar that ultimately proved to be a public relations disaster for the tsardom, since even the dumb peasants on the jury thought the accusations were nuts.

If Mel Brooks's The Producers is still made would the play the characters use for the scam still be springtime for hitler or would it change to something like springtime for stalin?

If Mel Brooks's The Producers is still made would the play the characters use for the scam still be springtime for hitler or would it change to something like springtime for stalin?

Maybe, but I think there would be a "Too Soon" reaction to something like that, even if it was done for pure satire.

Stalin and his cronies have brought misery to almost every corner of the globe they could. So I don't think people are going to be in a mood for that kind of thing for quite a while.

For now, most people are going to stick to showing the horrors of Soviet Russia.

Stalin and his cronies have brought misery to almost every corner of the globe they could. So I don't think people are going to be in a mood for that kind of thing for quite a while.

People mocked Hitler even while he was right now bringing absolutely enormous misery to millions upon millions of people.

I don't think humanity in general is as sombre and [humourless/respectful] (pick word depending on your perspective) as you wish it to be.

People mocked Hitler even while he was right now bringing absolutely enormous misery to millions upon millions of people.

I don't think humanity in general is as sombre and [humourless/respectful] (pick word depending on your perspective) as you wish it to be.

In 1940, when Charlie Chaplin made The Great Dictator, nobody knew how terrible the Nazis were going to be.

Charlie Chaplin said if he knew about the extant of the Nazis' atrocities, he would not have made it.

Stalin had completed Hitler's crimes and dialed them up to 11, killing even more people than Hitler did. So yes, it will be a while before anyone can really laugh at it all.

In 1940, when Charlie Chaplin made The Great Dictator, nobody knew how terrible the Nazis were going to be.

Charlie Chaplin said if he knew about the extant of the Nazis' atrocities, he would not have made it.

You're acting as if The Great Dictator was the only thing anyone ever made making fun of the Nazis. It wasn't. It wasn't even close to that.

Yes, you're appalled by this universe and would never think of making jokes about it, we get it, everyone gets it by now. But you're looking at it from outside and when you do you're seeing broad overviews of horrors, you're not living in it day-to-day. People make jokes about things all the time, including extremely dark things.

You're acting as if The Great Dictator was the only thing anyone ever made making fun of the Nazis. It wasn't. It wasn't even close to that.

Yes, you're appalled by this universe and would never think of making jokes about it, we get it, everyone gets it by now. But you're looking at it from outside and when you do you're seeing broad overviews of horrors, you're not living in it day-to-day. People make jokes about things all the time, including extremely dark things.

I never said nobody would joke about it. I'm saying pop culture would wait a bit before joking about it.

I never said nobody would joke about it. I'm saying pop culture would wait a bit before joking about it.
Also most films mocking Hitler were made during the war and at a time when (outside of the high command) few knew the truth of what Hitler was doing. When word got out about the holocaust those kind of films stopped in a big hurry. Sure you still got ww2 comedies but Hitler himself went from a buffoon to satanic evil. Also your average comedy nazi was usually part of the Heer due to the "clean hands" myth, SS men etc were almost always stright villain roles.

It was only with a few decades of space that Hitler himself became a comedy target again around the time the Producers was made.

The same will happen here, once time passes and the horror of it all dies down people will be ready to make fun of Stalin, but not in 1968.

Regarding time travelling people probably would ask "would you kill Stalin?" instead "Would you kill Hitler?".

And just wondering how people would see Russians. Their reputation probably is pretty much worse than Germans after WW2.

Regarding time travelling people probably would ask "would you kill Stalin?" instead "Would you kill Hitler?".

And just wondering how people would see Russians. Their reputation probably is pretty much worse than Germans after WW2.

I imagine there would be quite a few TLs about that. Some imagining Trotsky coming to power, some imagining Lenin avoiding Fanny Kaplan's bullet, etc.

And the view of Russia will be bad, bad, and bad for a long time to come.

I feel this shame might have a few substantial benefits. By the end of this civil war, Russians won't have really anything to be proud of in their history (they completed the genocide of the Jews in Europe, they turned China into a graveyard, they've committed genocide against Chechens), and they'll be dependent on aid from the rest of the world to survive as their farmland has been contaminated by nuclear fallout. This huge helping of humble pie will force a lot of Russians to change their mindset.

I'm not saying its inevitable, but it is a strong possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.