Felt inspired and did this for the scenario
Different US States.PNG

upload_2017-12-23_12-53-2.png

Essentially added states for the 5 Civilized tribes except Seminoles, added a Navajo and Sioux state, unified most of New England, enforced Virginias, Carolinases and Georgias westward claims, greater Deseret, and abolished Washington state

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-23_12-51-10.png
    upload_2017-12-23_12-51-10.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 403
This concept is based on an old Zompist article which suggests that one of the problems with the states is that they're the wrong size- to small to be a balance against the federal government and big business but too big to really be a local government, and suggests redrawing the state borders to create a smaller number of larger states as one solution. I'm not sure if the idea has merit, but I decided to map out how it might work in practice. The number I ended up with was 13 states, which wasn't intentional, but I like the symbolism. There are a few small states remaining mixed in with the larger ones as I prioritized keeping cultural and geographical regions together over giving all 13 similar populations.

thirteen state union.png

California
Capital: Sacramento
Population: 48,600,000

Cascadia
Capital: Seattle
Population: 13,900,000

Chesapeake
Capital: Baltimore
Population: 25,800,000

East Dixie
Capital: Savannah
Population: 45,600,000

Hawaii
Capital: Honolulu
Population: 1,400,000

New England
Capital: Boston
Population: 13,800,000

New York
Capital: New York City
Population: 28,800,000

Puerto Rico
Capital: San Juan
Population: 3,600,000

Rio Grande
Capital: Albuquerque
Population: 8,400,000

Texas
Capital: Austin
Population: 30,500,000

The Midwest
Capital: Chicago
Population: 73,800,000

Utah
Capital: Salt Lake City
Population: 3,500,000

West Dixie
Capital: Savannah
Population: 27,800,000

Redcoat

Banned
upload_2018-1-4_12-38-23.png

Behold my shitty map based mostly on natural borders. This is all freehand so that will explain a lot about this map.

View attachment 361873
Essentially added states for the 5 Civilized tribes except Seminoles, added a Navajo and Sioux state, unified most of New England, enforced Virginias, Carolinases and Georgias westward claims, greater Deseret, and abolished Washington state

And other changes. From what I see one Dakota, New Mexico+Arizona (name?), a bigger Idaho, a smaller Wyoming and Colorado. What is left on the north end of New England is it Maine?

Look at New Hampshire and Vermont...

I saw those, yeah. I mean, it kinda made a little more sense to me considering former New Hampshire claims on Vermont and generally how small they are.

But seeing a random county in Virginia declaring for NC? That was even more surprising. Does anyone have any history behind that?

I saw those, yeah. I mean, it kinda made a little more sense to me considering former New Hampshire claims on Vermont and generally how small they are.

But seeing a random county in Virginia declaring for NC? That was even more surprising. Does anyone have any history behind that?
I don't have about the history of the county, my guess is that it wanted to join North Carolina because of laws or something like that