Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

One can hope you get that electorate, I think the Emperor just gets another electorate to appoint at that point. And I don't think you can appoint yourself an electorate, that might be too gamey.
Unless it was changed inheriting(not integrating) an elector nets you their title and is really the only way besides starting as one of few nations, getting close to the Emperor while killing off electors and hope they pick you.
Okay. Even though it's a bit late I RMed Bohemia.

Then the ruler dies without an heir and all Bohemian lands got annexed to mine (Poland). Is this normal?
Yes. That is called inheriting and works along the PU mechanic, every time a ruler dies and would create/continue a PU there is a chance of inheritance based on shared culture group, size of the minor, diplomatic reputation and stability of the senior. You should have become an elector of the HRE unless they lost it somehow or Paradox changed things.

Unless it was changed inheriting(not integrating) an elector nets you their title and is really the only way besides starting as one of few nations, getting close to the Emperor while killing off electors and hope they pick you.

Yes. That is called inheriting and works along the PU mechanic, every time a ruler dies and would create/continue a PU there is a chance of inheritance based on shared culture group, size of the minor, diplomatic reputation and stability of the senior. You should have become an elector of the HRE unless they lost it somehow or Paradox changed things.

How do I actually become an elector? I know how to to join HRE but never had a chance to become an elector. The Emperor usually selects random states.

How do I actually become an elector? I know how to to join HRE but never had a chance to become an elector. The Emperor usually selects random states.
As I said inheriting an elector(ruler dies and you just get all the lands) used to work, otherwise starting as a tiny nation in the HRE killing off electors while not growing and being allied with best relations with Emperor.

That's a given.

So, how to get a decent start?
Playing as Burgundy is... weird to say the least. Your best options are allying with the countries around France, like England and Aragon/Castile (pick your poison on that one) and slowly picking away at them bit by bit until you can connect your two bits of land.

Faeelin

Banned
Oddly, England always hates you as Burgundy, which is amusing. You think they'd pick someone else to hate.

Playing as Burgundy is... weird to say the least. Your best options are allying with the countries around France, like England and Aragon/Castile (pick your poison on that one) and slowly picking away at them bit by bit until you can connect your two bits of land.

I want to connect all my possessions, so I'll have to fight France at some point. And as @Faeelin said, England always hated me, which actually worked in my favour because I also want to take Calais.

Is an alliance with Austria worth it?

You could restart the game several times if you want to, one game in some twenty-odd ones has a friendship between Burgundy and England. I used that in my current game as England to eat France whole and then turned to Burgundy... Then to Austria and Spain.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I'm currently making an M&T mod with a Justinian's Empire (Post Sicilian conquest, pre- Italian invasion) ISOT.

All I need to do now is create new cultures for the Balkans, North Africa, Egypt, Anatolia, and the Italian islands. Then create a new branch of Christianity for the Empire as I believe ~800 years of theological change justifies it. Orthodoxy will be renamed to Russian Orthodoxy.

Then create a new branch of Christianity for the Empire as I believe ~800 years of theological change justifies it. Orthodoxy will be renamed to Russian Orthodoxy.
Orthodoxy hasn't updated it's scripture since the Council of Chalcedon... I don't really see the point.

So I restarted my Burgundy campaign.

Aragon and Austria rivalled France, so I allied them both. I'm still yet to choose my rivals, Because France might get an alliance with them.

Any suggestions on my initial moves?