I find it hypocritical that Mr. Segregation Forever now says "the courts must be respected." The problem with ITTL Wallace is that being an angry man has given him everything he wanted. He doesn't feel the need to be restrained in his social beliefs, because they worked out well for him.

Still, it must suck for a gay, closeted teenager to hear the former President call him an abomination.

I wonder how long this conservative backlash will go on for before the minaprogressives push back?

Good update @The Congressman. That Supreme Court is very right-wing. It sure seems that social conservatism is far stronger TTL. The ending about the minaprogressives was interesting, however I'm not sure if there is a market for a socially liberal party in the current electoral system. All they seem to do is make it easier for the Republicans to win. Perhaps they will seek to move the US to a more proportional electoral system, but even then I have trouble seeing them win outright so most likely they would be a junior partner for the Democrats. That presumes they manage to change the US electoral system, which is unlikely. Also, I'm looking forward to the next update, Reagan's 'going big' will be interesting and I wonder what else that entails.

I just saw Reagan plans to amend the constitution. That is big-what amendments is he proposing? It will be interesting to see if his big second term vision can succeed.

Asami

Banned
I wonder how long this conservative backlash will go on for before the minaprogressives push back?

Forever because alternate history writers either write a Conservative wetdream (this TL among others) or a Liberal wetdream (several of mine, admittedly). There is no such thing as moderate compromise, because all timelines tend to be wish-fulfillment.

I'd speak my disappointment at Schlafly's appointment and the SCOTUS' complete and utter failure to defend the rights of American citizens, but that's... rather par the course for the 1970s and 1980s. It boggles the mind that the Soviet Union didn't use America's horrendous civil rights record more effectively IOTL, and didn't think to exploit that to their own ends, but you know, they were no better, so meh.

Here's to hope the Progressives can pull a trick out of their sleeve and bring Reagan and his party down to the dustbin of history where the old man belongs.

That, and history tends to be progressive on a long-scale, but almost always, conservatives tend to govern for long periods of time because they're not afraid to trample on people's civil liberties to enact their message, until the inevitable normalization of a progressive cause.

Remember everyone, the pendulum always swings back. The failure of the radicals in the 1960s and Wallace passing universal healthcare has forced the socially liberal left to re-calibrate, denying them power to truly affect anything for now at least. This isn't a conservative wank.

The TL tends to have dystopian AH stuff occur, but everything turn out just about alright. This is another of those things.
OTL, the Briggs Initiative actually had the same lead I had it win by right after the vote was scheduled. It very nearly passed. Thought we'd have some drama if it did ITTL, plus it's important for a future development, same thing with sodomy laws getting struck down earlier.

Remember everyone, the pendulum always swings back. The failure of the radicals in the 1960s and Wallace passing universal healthcare has forced the socially liberal left to re-calibrate, denying them power to truly affect anything for now at least. This isn't a conservative wank.
But it looks like one, and that's all that matters.:p

And IOTL the pendulum didn't swing back, it got stuck on something and got stuck in right-centre neoliberalism; and is now swinging back towards fundamentalist right.

Or Trump could be the right's Jimmy Carter, the last gasp of a dying majority. The divided and ineffective nature of the GOP so far speaks to that.

Next time on NDCR:

rockwell.jpg

Or Trump could be the right's Jimmy Carter, the last gasp of a dying majority. The divided and ineffective nature of the GOP so far speaks to that.

I'm still holding my breath, waiting to see if Mr. Trump is just the last gasp of an old age, or the beginning of a scary political era.

Now we say he won't serve out the remainder of his term, but six months ago, we were saying he wouldn't be president. Who's to say he won't again defy expectation?

The TL tends to have dystopian AH stuff occur, but everything turn out just about alright. This is another of those things.

I hate the term "dystopia" applied to alternate history. I don't find it dystopian, because what I see in this story is plausible.