Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

It's a question of game mechanics, I think, but yes, the game does definitely keep track of who the real father of any character might be.
The father doesn't matter though. He's trying to betroth one of his (the pc's) children to another one of his (again the pc's) children.

The father doesn't enter into it.

The father doesn't matter though. He's trying to betroth one of his (the pc's) children to another one of his (again the pc's) children.

The father doesn't enter into it.

They can be wed because socially they aren't related. But genetically there's a chance the offspring will be inbred.

So the major DLCs I'm still missing are The Reaper's Due, Horse Lords, and Charlemagne. Any advice about which I should get next?

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I know he didn't. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

After my last playthrough to see what the assassins where like, I decide to play as the count of Hainaut. Managed to form the duchy of Brabant very quickly as I owned 2 of the 3 required counties. I conquered some more counties and grew to the size that I almost eclipsed my liege. Got independence via a faction, and swore fealty to the king of West-Francia. I focused on getting Flanders as quickly as possible and got a claim on it via plot. Once it was in my possession gobbled up some more territory until it was time to set aside my new liege lord and demanded independence, which i soon won via a war. I made my own kingdom and turned to the remnants of Lotharingia, pressing my weak claim when the time was right to subjugate this weak kingdom in to the fold. Now I am a pretty big player in the region but I want to get my hands on the Italian Netherlands next. Gavelkind succession is pretty weird when it comes to who gets what title so i'm hoping Italy gets weakens by it somehow. West-Francia my next door neighbor and rival is already weakened by it, since it was split in two, so I'm hoping I can nab some territory there to. Currently on elective and hoping that the realm remains stable enough.

314wm82.png

Last edited:
That Henry VIII feel when you disinherit your heir with your first wife and send him to the Templars because he's a homosexual, then legitimize the bastard son you had with your twin sister to be your new heir, and withhold medical treatment from the son of your second wife to prevent Gavelkind from ruining the duchy and cause you're a lunatic crusader who's missing like half his face but its fine cause your second wife is also insane (actually I should probably exile her -100 opinion ass from court before I get plotted, but that divorce game too expensive) and get the succession arranged all neatly. But then your son catches consumption in his very first battle because you ordered him into a plague zone to stop the Bey of Aleppo from getting holy wared because you've kept him as a hostage under house arrest since he was like 7 and brainwashed him to be catholic and French, and now your heir has consumption.

So you Pragmatic Sanction that shit and make all of your surplus daughters nuns to remove them from the succession (cause Gavelkind) except for the one with the best stats and betroth her to your nephew (who I think is the son of my other sister and my bastard half-brother) to nip that claim war in the bud. But it turns out the Duchess of Antioch is also available for betrothal so maybe you should have your nephew marry her instead for the NAP and personal union because we really need that alliance if we're going to ever retake Jerusalem.

So you Act of Succession that shit and ram through the succession law to be absolutly salic so that when you die you switch to your nephew getting his personal union on with the Norman duchies instead of your daughter, and then as the nephew have a Seduction Focus buffet with all your nun cousins.

Just CK2 things.
So as it turns out! Not only did my original heir survive his consumption but my duke also managed to live another 20 years and had another spare son with his third wife!

Which makes all that rather unnecessary in hindsight.

I would lean towards The Reaper's Due; much of what it adds has very broad applicability.

Thanks!

Also, another question: can anyone recommend any Let's Plays? I'm always looking for stuff to listen to while doing chores - there are only so many true crime podcasts that I can stand listening to.

If you have a child with a vassal via adultery, but it is assumed to be the child of your husband (my character was worried about him finding out), does it count towards inbreeding if you then betroth that child to one of your legitimate children?
Inbreeding is a chance calculated from the ‘dna’ character string (which you can see e.g. in savefiles). So technically, it doesn't matter directly who the parents are or the direct familial relationship, just how similar the ‘dna’ strings are. Of course, in practice the ‘dna’ is some scrambled version of the parents, so true parentage does matter.

But this also means that it's possible for two completely unrelated people to produce an inbred child, simply because the ‘dna’ string is so short, and so similar strings are not impossible for unrelated characters.

Inbreeding is a chance calculated from the ‘dna’ character string (which you can see e.g. in savefiles). So technically, it doesn't matter directly who the parents are or the direct familial relationship, just how similar the ‘dna’ strings are. Of course, in practice the ‘dna’ is some scrambled version of the parents, so true parentage does matter.

But this also means that it's possible for two completely unrelated people to produce an inbred child, simply because the ‘dna’ string is so short, and so similar strings are not impossible for unrelated characters.
Most important change for CKIII: doubling the length of the dna string.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
HIP has released their new version for 2.7! You can now start playing any date from 1043-1066!

Now you can play Isaac Komenos and recreate Isaac's Empire!

So I just thought I'd fight a ducal war for my vassal/steward brother and friend so he can take another county for his dukedom. It was perfect, the duke I was fighting against was new and had poor martial, I got rid of his stacks and was besieging the place, aaaaaand...

My ungrateful bastard of a brother dies of depression at age 26, leaving his title to his imbecilic sickly son and making all my progress in the war moot.

Luckily he at least also had a daughter with no bad genetic traits, so a baby's getting smothered tonight.

I wanted to take a break from my Byzantine Melissenos game (it's going... slowly) and decided to check out HIP's new version and their 1043 bookmark. Since I've lately grown obsessed with the Premyslids (I dunno why, maybe Prague's architecture), I started as Bretislav, Duke of Bohemia. I cheated a bit to bring the in-game character to the standards of the OTL person, who was a badass all around. This is him by the end of his reign, a couple of months before his death:

QHpwGAC.png

The first King of Bohemia, the blood of Saint Wenceslaus the Good and St. Ludmila, patroness of Prague, was born to Ulrich Premyslid, a third son, who rose to the dukedom through a veil of intrigue and war that saw his two elder brothers overthrown. The boy's mother was Bozena, a beautiful and yet lowborn woman who had become Duke Ulrich's concubine and then second wife, scandalizing the Empire's lords. Taking after his father, young Bretislaus was an ambitious lordling who always took what was rightfully his. That is how he married his wife and love of his life, fair Judith of Babenberg. Considered too noble for the halfbreed, Bretislaus nevertheless fell in love with her, and his feelings were reciprocated. Denied her hand by her father, Bretislaus went on to abduct his lover and flee with her back to Prague, where they were married and would spend the decades to come, content (OTL). The marriage produced four healthy sons: Spytihnev, Vratislav, Kónrad and Jaromir, all of whom but the eldest would survive childhood past 1043 (I console killed Spy since I hated his name).

For years, he ruled over his lands wisely, both as Duke of Bohemia and Margrave of Moravia. Bretislaus Premsylid would declare himself King of Bohemia only in 1048, being crowned and anointed at the St. Vitus Cathedral by the Archbishop of Mainz. A king in his own right, Bretislaus I made himself indispensable to Emperor Henry, first as a field commander and then as Marshall. After having offered his support in lawmaking, King Bretislaus forced a betrothal between the Emperor's only daughter Beatrix and his son and heir, Vratislaus Premsylid, thus uniting the new royal house of Bohemia, once founded by a mere peasant, to the imperial blood of the Salians. Unfortunately, his efforts would later fall apart due to Beatrix's unfortunate death in childbed, giving birth to a daughter, her namesake.

Although his dreams of imperial dignity were frustrated, King Bretislaus remained one of the most prominent princes of the Holy Roman Empire. At Bohemia, he made efforts to centralize the kingdom and ensure Premsylid hegemony over their home, as the King directly commanded much of the land. As a guarantee that the Premsylid inheritance would stay as one, he enforced the Seniority Law, undoubtedly placing his eldest living son in the line of succession as the sole inheritor and King. Prague likewise thrived under his reign, as Hungarian power was kept in check by King Bretislaus' alliances to the kings of Poland and Croatia.

King Bretislaus I passed away on February 15th, 1060, leaving a vast legacy to his successor. Even though he had survived a brutal assassination attempt that had left him one-eyed and feared by all, it was widowhood that brought him low. Queen Judith had been dead for only a few months when her husband and would-be abductor breathed his last. To this day, King Bretislaus is known as one of the founders of the Czech nation and well regarded as the so-called "Bohemian Achilles" (his OTL nickname).

fj2Vycr.png

King Vratislaus I is not as stellar a man as his father, but he has the makings of a competent ruler. After his imperial wife died in childbirth, he was betrothed to a princess of Kiev, but has yet to sire an heir of male body. When his son comes, the King will have to deal with his brothers' claim to the throne, as Prince Kónrad is his rightful heir by King Bretislaus' laws.

I'm trying to decide if Queen Jacoba of Frisia should commit suicide now that she's developed depression. She's had a very good run and has been a very effective ruler, but she's in her 60s, and her son looks, if anything, ready to exceed her. Might be worth getting him on the throne while he's still young enough for a long reign.

The one thing I'm having trouble with, though, is that her son is a martial type, and I can't seem to get a CB to save my life. My chancellor has a pretty good score (19), but since I finished unifying Frisia, I've had no luck getting a claim. My original plan was to Holy War Pomerania, but they converted to Christianity before the truce from taking my first county expired. The Kaiser is steam-rolling the lands to the east, pushing deep into pagan territory - if the HRE survives, it's going to be an enormous blob - but taking tribal villages that will take a century to repay the cost of seizing them, while losing half my men to inadequate supplies, does not hold much appeal to me. Maybe I could get involved in the Crusades?

On the plus side, my efforts to play Kwisatz Haderach have gone well. I think I have more geniuses in my court than the rest of Germany put together. I just founded Holland's first merchant republic. And I have about 8.5K levies available, which I think makes me the biggest force in Germany after the Kaiser himself.

You know, I don't actually know; I've never done it before.
I checked the wiki, and it does if you can't do let yourself fail in a duel against a rival or get help as incapable, apparently (specifically the one who does it gets a -50 penalty that gets inherited by their heir as -25).