Europa Universalis III

Tripoli, and most of North Africa, would just slow you down. That area is not particularly valuable to begin with, and with wrong-religion and wrong-culture penalties, it would just be bad. Mainland Greece is a better option, or Georgia (also in the Byzantine culture group).
Greece is still on Venice's Grip. By The Way,How the Hell i can Take Screenshots?

So after pirating the game back in November and falling in love with it on an older pc, and then purchasing it on steam for my new laptop and falling in love all over again now that I have something that can actually run the game without glitching, I've finally calmed down from my attraction to this game enough to pose this question/critique; Why does Castile/Spain, and/or Aragon, and/or Portugal always take over North (& West) Africa? It seems like in every game I play at least one of the Iberian states will, by at least the late 15th century, end up ruling a vast swath of territory from Dakar to Cairo thanks to the Iberian-specific Events in regards to the Reconquista and the Holy War CB.

So after pirating the game back in November and falling in love with it on an older pc, and then purchasing it on steam for my new laptop and falling in love all over again now that I have something that can actually run the game without glitching, I've finally calmed down from my attraction to this game enough to pose this question/critique; Why does Castile/Spain, and/or Aragon, and/or Portugal always take over North (& West) Africa? It seems like in every game I play at least one of the Iberian states will, by at least the late 15th century, end up ruling a vast swath of territory from Dakar to Cairo thanks to the Iberian-specific Events in regards to the Reconquista and the Holy War CB.

Seems like you just answered your own question.

Greece is still on Venice's Grip. By The Way,How the Hell i can Take Screenshots?

F11 produces normal screenshots. F12 produces world maps. Shift+F12 produces world maps highlighting you and your vassals (all other countries are depicted as black spaces on the world map). Note that this is for non-Steam versions, Steam versions will behave differently if the overlay is enabled (the same behavior will appear if you launch your game through Steam).

EDIT: Considering how many times I've answered this question, I ought to create a macro for it :p

Has anyone ever had any luck with keeping Brittany independent against the French?

On a somewhat related note, I got completely screwed over by Aragon in the last game. I was allied with them as Brittany, and thus got pulled into a war with the Papal State, Genoa and friends. I landed infantry in Sardinia in the hopes of conquering it. I defeated its tiny army and laid siege. Immediately after the city fell...Aragon made peace and ended the war. :mad:

I dismantled the HRE! It was around 1700 in my Spain campaign. By that point I had taken over all of Iberia and most of OTL present-day France. I attacked Bohemia, which was the most powerful HRE elector, and subsequently became embroiled in wars against almost every single little goddamned state in Central Europe. I managed to occupy all the electors' capitals except one, Bavaria. The problem with them is that they were allied with several powerful nations (Austria in particular) that I couldn't tangle with at the time due to war exhaustion and being stretched out very thin, what with the wars and constant widespread rebellions on the home front.

So I pulled most of my troops back home to southeastern France, where I bordered Austria, but left about 50 regiments just outside the Bavarian capital of Munchen. Then I declared war on Bavaria (and of course had all its allies declared war on me) and smashed their army and their Level 2 fort. I sent about 175 regiments into western Austria to persuade them to accept a white peace. With the last HRE elector's capital occupied, I was able to dismantle it. I then got a white peace and sent everyone home to deal with the rebels. I took a break from playing a few game years after that, but even by then I saw a few former HRE member OPMs get annexed by their bigger neighbors. I look forward to seeing more chaos ensue.

What's also interesting is that the first European colonies in the Americas only appeared at some point in the early 1700s. Probably because I was Spain and I had already knocked out Portugal and France. The English (which became independent after I wrecked Scottish Great Britain in a successful "Sealion") picked up some Caribbean islands. I intend to wreck the English to help keep the Native American civs from being taken over by Europeans. ;)

Out of curiosity, how much better would MIEOU run with 8GB of RAM compared to 3GB of RAM? The former is coming in, and with the latter I am getting about 3 days every second in the beginning of the 15th Century.

Out of curiosity, how much better would MIEOU run with 8GB of RAM compared to 3GB of RAM? The former is coming in, and with the latter I am getting about 3 days every second in the beginning of the 15th Century.

Much better. I have never tried EU3 on my laptop, but judging by the fact that I completed an entire hands-off game of Crusader Kings II within an afternoon on 8GB RAM whilst I needed a week for the same task on EU3 on 2GB RAM, and that CK2 is more complex than EU3 anyway, I'd say you can't have too much RAM with Paradox Games.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I've been playing a mod called the States Mod. You can find it on the Paradox interactive forum. It's a mod that, while a bit buggy, is highly recommended by me. In this mod you can play as any state/province in the US and Canada. It's awesome being able to play as your home state!:D

I've been playing as Indiana and have conquered most of the Old Northwest Territories!:cool:

My goal is to own all of the Mississippi/Ohio river valleys and vassalize the east coast.

I've been playing a mod called the States Mod. You can find it on the Paradox interactive forum. It's a mod that, while a bit buggy, is highly recommended by me. In this mod you can play as any state/province in the US and Canada. It's awesome being able to play as your home state!:D

I've been playing as Indiana and have conquered most of the Old Northwest Territories!:cool:

My goal is to own all of the Mississippi/Ohio river valleys and vassalize the east coast.

Wait, does it just place all of the US States in the 1399 start?

If anyone is interested, Paradox have just given away free codes to get EUIII Chronicles on Steam to anyone subscribed to their newsletter.

The end result of my most recent campaign as Castille/Spain (Divine Wind 5.1, "Very Easy" difficulty -- I'm a noob). I dismantled the Holy Roman Empire, conducted a successful "Otaria," and conquered more European provinces than I ever have before. I so dominated Europe that there were only about a dozen provinces in the Americas that had been colonized by European nations (after I burned down several of theirs myself) by 1821. Thus the Huron, Ontario, Shawnee, Aztec, and Inca survived to the present. European colonization was limited elsewhere too -- only a few African provinces and none in Asia or Oceania.

I use this map because I am unable to take screenshots (I know how, but it doesn't save them). Not depicted on the map is the hundred or so rebellions that had erupted across my nation in the last five years of the campaign. There were some piddly OPMs and some other little states in Germany and Italy that I wanted to incorporate so that I had neat borders and no enclaves. So I grabbed them at the very end and let my infamy skyrocket above 100.

So what do you think?

dwvanillablankmedium_Spain2_zoom.png

dwvanillablankmedium_Spain2_zoom.png

Has anyone played a campaign as a OPM? I'm thinking of starting off as Ulm, and I'm wondering what's the most I could expect to accomplish.

I use this map because I am unable to take screenshots (I know how, but it doesn't save them).

It almost certainly is, you just aren't looking in the right place. Where did you install the game to? It's a known bug/feature of Windows that if you install the game to Program Files, it will not allow the program to write data to its install folder, but instead sets up a hidden folder in your User folder to trick the software into thinking it's doing so without breaking anything.

This was intended to reduce the risk of badly designed software hosing the Program Files folder or malicious software doing the same. More recently, Paradox has been following best practices and writing data to folders in your User folder (aka My Documents), but at the time not so much. The upside is if you enable the view hidden folders feature in Explorer and poke around your My Documents/Users folder, you'll almost certainly find the screenshots you've taken (and your saved games).

I just rebuilt my computer to Vista 64 so I could use the 8GB of RAM I bought, but now I can't get the bloody thing to run! Kicks me out right when it should be done loading! :mad::(