Europa Universalis III

Well, that was fun. Played as France, obviously.

81f9Uhu.png

What's the blue in central Italy?

Also, what did you have to go through to get Kent?

Umbrino. iirc actually that's the second Umbrinian kingdom, the first pushed the Pope into Germany but then fell to Naples, and then was able to reconstitute itself after I broke Sicily from the Neapolitans.

Several wars, though it wasn't until sometime in the 15th century that I was to land forces on British itself and after that everything was smooth sailing. There for awhile all I had the whole of the British isles balkanized into their constituent parts, but after 1700 or so I was so rich, advanced, and populous that even a reconstituted Britain couldn't threaten me so I looked the other way while the Brits got their shit back together as I kept my focus on the German states and colonizing. If you look closely you can actually see that there's a British and an English state, the latter of which is just Essex and a few colonies in Mexico.

Last edited:
Question: I bought EUIII on Steam with Divine Wind and In Nomine. When I start EUIII, "In Nomine" is shown as a subtitle in the main menu. So does this mean that only In Nomine is actually running, and not Divine Wind?

Question: I bought EUIII on Steam with Divine Wind and In Nomine. When I start EUIII, "In Nomine" is shown as a subtitle in the main menu. So does this mean that only In Nomine is actually running, and not Divine Wind?

Unlike with Crusader Kings II, EU3's expansions all build on one another successively, so you must get one before another in order.

First comes Europa Universalis III, then Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind. If you didn't pick up HttT, then DW cannot load, so you are stuck with IN.

Thing is, I don't think Napoleon's Ambition works with the Mac version.:mad:

EDIT: Wait, so if DW won't run without NA, why did they bother releasing DW for the Mac?

Paradox just gave me a free copy of EU3 Chronicles, which I already have. If anyone wants it speak up and I'll PM you the steam code, first come first served. :cool:

EDIT: It's gone!

Last edited:
It's OK, but it feels rather imbalanced, and the fact that you're stuck with the bureaucrats until the mid-to-late game doesn't help things either.

I just didn't like that I couldn't simultaneously raise an army, build structures, and establish colonies. You're already handicapped because you're in the Eastern tech group. That said, I still managed to create a fairly large empire. The end result of my Ming campaign:

Ming1821.png

That's me in eastern India, Siberia, Sakhalin, Hokkaido, Philippines, Indonesia, Oceania, western North America, two blobs in South America, Haiti, and Somalia. For some reason no one seems to want Majerteen. Korea fell victim to "nomad creep" or whatever it's called and later fell apart, which is why there are those large blue remnants in Russia and Xinjiang. That dark brown province in central Chile is actually a colony of Sind.

Ming1821.png

Last edited:
Quick question: Is it possible to change the name of your country as it shows up on the map easily? Either in game or through modding? I just want "YORK" in big letters across the world.

Quick question: Is it possible to change the name of your country as it shows up on the map easily? Either in game or through modding? I just want "YORK" in big letters across the world.

It's best if you create a special mod. First, well, create a mod (you can probably google that), but the only modification you need make is in localization files - go into one, and change your native language name of whatever country (say, England) to York. Then it will appear as such in-game. I wouldn't recommend doing it with your main game file, because it can be a bitch to fix it if you screw something up, but you'll probably have to start a new game from scratch with the new mod.

But you'll get your YORK in big letters across the world. :)

EDIT: Also, you'll want to change your demonym; same basic idea.