Isaac's Empire 2.0

One doesn't need a "right of succession" to the throne. The acceptance of the urban populace of Constantinople, and the acquiescence of the major generals of the Tagmata is all an eleventh century Byzantine Emperor needs to hold power.

I wouldn't say so- Italy is pretty marginal to the bigger picture, even at this stage. Alexios is far more concerned about protecting the Euphrates frontier from Turkish incursions, as you'll see in the next update. There's plenty of precedent for this sort of thing, after all. See John Tzimiskes' campaigns in Syria and Palestine for perhaps the best example of major Byzantine advances that didn't lead to permanent annexations.

The Palaiologoi were a powerful and influential family from the middle of the eleventh century onward, and became even more so under the OTL Komnenoi.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here. Care to enlighten me? :)
It is about the right of the german king to call himself a Roman emperor of the West.

What if we included a failed Norman Invasion into this timeline? Or a little bit more into the innovations and philosophies being made with each passing reign? And Can't the Holy German Empire take a different route than Scandinavia?

What if we included a failed Norman Invasion into this timeline? Or a little bit more into the innovations and philosophies being made with each passing reign? And Can't the Holy German Empire take a different route than Scandinavia?

Failed Norman invasion won't be happening, I'm afraid. If anything, the Normans in Britain are being more successful than IOTL. That'll get covered at some point, though not for a while, unless someone would like to take it up.

There'll be a "non-narrative" piece when we come to the end of the House of Komnenos in 1212, that'll take a broader look at the social trends of the period in the ERE. Philosophies and whatnot will largely be covered in this, as will the boring stuff like reform of the taxation system which you'll see covered in cursory detail in the next couple of updates.

No, the HGE cannot take a different route of conquest than up into Scandinavia. It's much too big and crucial a change from IE 1.0, I'm afraid, and would throw much of the TL into disarray.

Thanks for your thoughts!

A little strange,a Byzantine emperor advancing north and being victorius he doesn't annex anything north of his dominions?(not even Venice?)

IIRC, Venice is still in the sphere of influence of Byzantine Empire, I don't think the Emperor would interest in annexing his long term friendly vassal during the advance.

On the other hand, I am interesting what is Byzantine name for Balkans? IIRC, Balkans is a 15th Century word coming from Turkish.

And, Thank you for Basileus Giorgios for this great update.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I am interesting what is Byzantine name for Balkans? IIRC, Balkans is a 15th Century word coming from Turkish.

The mountains were called the Haemus Montes. As for the peninsula, I have no idea. Perhaps the Haemic peninsula?

Failed Norman invasion won't be happening, I'm afraid. If anything, the Normans in Britain are being more successful than IOTL. That'll get covered at some point, though not for a while, unless someone would like to take it up.

Yet the normans are still in Italy/sicily, at this time, correct?
Am i to understand that the norman invasions aren't as strong in the Mediterranean as in OTL? But may be stronger in England for them to be more successful?

And, Thank you for Basileus Giorgios for this great update.

The mountains were called the Haemus Montes. As for the peninsula, I have no idea. Perhaps the Haemic peninsula?

Thanks for the praise Nomisma- the answer appears to be what Ares said, actually. I didn't know that, so there we are. A new fact every day! :)

Yet the normans are still in Italy/sicily, at this time, correct?
Am i to understand that the norman invasions aren't as strong in the Mediterranean as in OTL? But may be stronger in England for them to be more successful?
There are still Normans in south Italy, but they've been badly defeated, and the remnants are only there serving as Imperial troops. Although, surely you've read this in the updates?

Well, I can't draw, but if anyone would like to volunteer to do some drawing I'd welcome it.

Thanks!

Indeed- Alexios is heirless and wife-less. The question now seems to be which of Isaac's sons will become Alexios' heir, but their uncle is unlikely to accept this in a hurry. Furthermore, Isaac himself is still very much alive, and rather estranged from his sons now. Family trouble could well break out...

It's not supposed to be ideological at all- any attempt by a German monarch to properly subjugate his lords in this period would end in trouble. The fact that Ekbert is doing so by acting like a Byzantine Emperor just makes things even worse.

No land has been regained as of yet, outside of southern Italy and Sicily, indeed, even the conquest of Sardinia is by no means complete yet. All that's happened is German interference has been banished from the Italian peninsula, for now. Of course, this won't usher in a period of happiness and freedom for the Italians. As far as they're concerned, the only real result of Savona was the replacement of meddling Germans with meddling Greeks.
Not the same;instead of a bunch of Northern hordes with level of civilization that would be called 'barbaric' the 'meddling Greeks were more civilized and let's not forget that a considerable part of the populace in the aereas under Byzantine rule were Greeks and a greater part of Greek origin, living harmoniously with their non Greek neibours for hundreds of years.

Thank you!

Indeed it would not. There'll be at least three succession crises in the next century or so, you'll be pleased to know. I may decide to chuck in more, who knows. :p

Ha, yes, I do try to make this TL reasonably balanced.

In 1.0, I had the renaissance kick-started earlier by the very ATL development of Italian politics in the twelfth century. I'll probably stay with that in 2.0.

As for Isaac, he could do, he's certainly the rival Alexios fears most. But remember he's several years older than his brother, and has arguably led a more active and gruelling life, battling on the frontiers. There's no guarantee that Isaac will even be alive when Alexios departs this world...

I've seen both variants of the name used. I ultimately went for Ke-Ka because that's the one I found in history books, particularly Angold's work, which has been the basis of a lot of IE 2.0. Ka-Ke appears most frequently, it seems, on Wikipedia, which gives me suspicions. I wonder where this divergence comes from?

Welcome aboard. :)

As for the next update. I've been reading a lot this past few days about Armenians in the Empire, and this has firmly persuaded me that the next chapter should have a much greater focus on the Empire's Armenian Question, which has been simmering but not yet come to the boil. So, if it suits everyone, I propose to wrap up Alexios Komnenos' reign with an update focused on Anatolia in the early part of the twelfth century. Stayed tuned. :)
Back to the name-I haven't seen the second version of the name as you mentioned it but,someone who wrote it needs a refreshing course in Greek
since 'Ke-ka'-is the syllabic doubling constituting the formation of Present Perfect Passive Voice (καιγομαι-κεκαυμενος/keg(γ)omai-kekaumenos-au=av) and you don't need a history source to tell you that, but a simple book of Greek grammar.So ka-ke is out since it doesn't make sence.

Last edited:
Back to the name-I haven't seen the second version of the name as you mentioned it but,someone who wrote it needs a refreshing course in Greek
since 'Ke-ka'-is the syllabic doubling constituting the formation of Present Perfect Passive Voice (καιγομαι-κεκαυμενος/keg(γ)omai-kekaumenos-au=av) and you don't need a history source to tell you that, but a simple book of Greek grammar.So ka-ke is out since it doesn't make sence.

Thanks for the guidance.

Also, thanks to 037771 for the Turtledove nomination for IE 2.0, I hope to get as many of your votes as possible. I also strongly encourage you to vote for his wonderful All Along The Watchtower TL, which I believe has been nominated.

Rest assured, I will certainly vote for IE in Best Continuing Mediaeval. That is, unless someone nominates LoM. :p

Well technically, LoM is New, not continuing, isn't?

But i admit it would be really difficult to choose between IE and RoS. Let's hope some good updates (on the both) to make the choice.

Personally, more information about religious structure (and the change to Unitarianism)

2.0 is actually nominated for best new medieval TL, I believe.
Well, as a re-writing, it's in Continuing.

Well technically, LoM is New, not continuing, isn't?

Of course; I forgot that I only started it in February.

But i admit it would be really difficult to choose between IE and RoS. Let's hope some good updates (on the both) to make the choice.

RoS?

Well, as a re-writing, it's in Continuing.

Indeed; nominations are made for the whole TL, not a specific incarnation of it. As IE was started back in 2008 (I believe), it counts as Continuing.

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate our Emperor and Autocract for his birthday. Happy day to you, your Majesty. Rhomania rejoices!

Now, on to that nice update!

This guy tried to depose Alexius IOTL, didn't he? Or am I getting my history confused? Is there any specific reason for him to support Alexius ITTL or is he building up a plot with Isaac the Younger to depose the Emperor?

A major change from 1.0 here. IIRC Alexius fought and defeated Henry's army. I remember something regarding Pisa in all of this, but the city isn't mentioned at all. Also, did Milan support Henry's campaign?

I like this part. You managed to integrate very well two traditional problems of Rhomania, although it's entertaining to see that while the Patriarch supports a more rational approach of theology and education, the Empress Mother goes on to call him a heretic. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the future Emperors will solve the inner conflict between the Constantinopolitans and the Anatolian aristocracy, i.e. if it ever gets solved. Very interesting indeed.

Great! Finally an Emperor who undoubtly supports the "External Wisdom".

Oh no. Are Anna and Michael/John going to be enemies as per OTL? I have always liked your approach on their friendship in 1.0.

What of Bryennios? Did he support Isaac?

Very well-written paragraph. Nice to see Isaac saving his nephew Michael. One would think he would put his own sons on the succession line. What happens to Anna? Does she go with Palaiologos to Sicily or does she abandon him to his fate? Also, what are the impacts of Dalassense's death on Emperor Alexius? IOTL, he looked up to her as if she was a goddess.

The Emirates of Damascus, Aleppo and Mosul? I would like to see an update on that too.

Do I see an early Byzantine Renaissance coming? The victory of philosophy over religion will have a huge impact in the Roman 12th century. I can see a Patriarch trying to get more powerful by criticizing rationalism to its core, maybe generating a major debate in Constantinople. It would be interesting to see some die-hard philosophers such as Plethon. You know, venerating the old Pagan gods and ignoring the Church completely?

I personally suggest you to fix all this mess in the Third Council of Nicaea, using Basil of Caesarea's approach on philosophy and theology which predominated during the Empire's early years.

What an evil cliffhanger BG. :mad::D

Can we see a bit more on this, please?
I don't find the term "Byzantine Renaissance" quite appropriate,could you please define it?