Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASB new continent! A Saxon colonized one too the Capital is "Heardriford" the big red star in the middle. The continent is located off the coast of Northern Africa.

Celts, Greeks, Romans, Goths have been here until the Saxons came and kicked them out, not the Celts of course haha.

Still trying to find a good way to display names of cities that don't get blend in with the terrian..also what's a good Saxon name you'll give this land?

Where'd you get that map from?

The Aegean world in the year 1415.

The POD for this is sometime in the 1270s, I'm not entirely sure exactly when. Basically, the reconquest of Constantinople goes as planned, and the Roman Empire is briefly reinvigorated. The difference here is that Michael VIII is succeeded by a man of talent and competence, John III, who does all he can to squeeze resources out of the Byzantine state. In doing so, John makes himself extremelly unpopular, but puts the Empire back on a relatively sound economic footing by pursuing a strong alliance with Genoa, and roundly defeating the Ottomans. However, the Empire falls into a vicious civil war around 1310, and suffers a series of defeats to various foes. She survives only thanks to the alliance with Genoa, and her strong navy.

Elsewhere in the Mediterranean, the Crusader kingdom of Cyprus falls to a Mameluke invasion in 1328, forcing around 10,000 displaced knights and the monarchy to flee westward. They eventually form an alliance with George Palaiologos, a pretender to the Byzantine throne, and help him to become Emperor, in exchange for the surrender of Rhodes as a new base for them. The Crusaders then eagerly take the fight to the small, divided Turkish states of Lydia, conquering much of the region by 1350, and establishing their capital at Philadelphia. The new Kingdom of Philadelphia exists as a close ally of the Roman Empire.

Meanwhile, to the East, the remaining Turkish groups on the Anatolian plateau are eventually unified by the Karamanids, operating from a Mediterranean base. The north coast of Anatolia, however, remains independent under the Empire of Trebizond and a couple of small Turkish ghazi states, while in the west, the remnant Ottomans, together with the Goynuk Turks, continue to have their independence bankrolled by Constantinople. The Romans are eager to put up buffer states between the power of Karaman and their prosperous towns and villages around the coast of the Sea of Marmara.

In the Balkans, Serbia and Bulgaria vie for Great Power status, each seeking the support of the Emperor in Constantinople in achieving this. Currently, the Emperor Manuel III supports the Serbs, and provides them with Aegean ports, but the moment Serbia begins to look too threatening, he can confidently be expected to switch his alliance back to the Bulgars. Both Slavic states are evenly matched, leading to constant, grinding warfare between them.

Any further questions and queries welcome! :)

Aegean.png

The Aegean world in the year 1415.

Any further questions and queries welcome! :)

I'm interested in the other states you've got there. What's that gold color on Constantinople, Lesbos, Thasos, Samothrace, and the rest? Who has Crete, that gray bit on the Adriatic coast, and the region of Thessaly? And is that a surviving Duchy of Athens?

Anyway, it's a very interesting POD. I especially like the Kingdom of Philadelphia - it's not often one sees such a unique fate for Rhodes. I'm curious how you got John III (who was he in OTL?) onto the throne, as that would have required getting Andronikos II out of the way at some point. I'm also curious if you'll do a continuation - how long do you think the Byzantines could keep going in this timeline? It seems like this whole concept has a lot of potential.

Alright finished.

Looks interesting ... and done with great attention to the detail.
Could you please sketch what you thought about the development of this world?
I can't seem to find a prior posting of yours in case you described it there ...

As I don't know anything about a PoD or other assumptions, I can't say a lot about the map.
However, I noticed that several borders seem to follow very unlikely paths, skew to natural boundaries.

Krall

Banned
ASB new continent! A Saxon colonized one too the Capital is "Heardriford" the big red star in the middle. The continent is located off the coast of Northern Africa.

If my memory serves me correctly, then off the coast of northern Africa is Europe. Do you mean it's to the west of northern Africa in the North Atlantic?

I'm interested in the other states you've got there. What's that gold color on Constantinople, Lesbos, Thasos, Samothrace, and the rest? Who has Crete, that gray bit on the Adriatic coast, and the region of Thessaly? And is that a surviving Duchy of Athens?

Anyway, it's a very interesting POD. I especially like the Kingdom of Philadelphia - it's not often one sees such a unique fate for Rhodes. I'm curious how you got John III (who was he in OTL?) onto the throne, as that would have required getting Andronikos II out of the way at some point. I'm also curious if you'll do a continuation - how long do you think the Byzantines could keep going in this timeline? It seems like this whole concept has a lot of potential.

The gold represents the colonies of the Genoese Empire, granted to Genoa by the Byzantines following the eviction of Venice from the Aegean. Venice herself retains Crete, besides the area around the town of Khania, which is a Byzantine colony.

The grey state in Epirus is a Catholic feudal state carved out in the region by an Angevin prince displaced in a Sicilian civil war. The little kingdom is a strong ally of Venice, and Venetian interests in the Adriatic, and also has the lukewarm support of the Emperor and the Genoese, acting, as it does, as a block on Italian incursions into the Balkans. Epirus is religiously tolerant, which allows her to prosper on the Greek coast.

It is indeed a surviving Duchy of Athens, though it is to all intents and purposes a vassal state of the ERE. The current Duke is the last of his line, and his territories will revert to the Roman Emperor in his will. To the North of Athens lies the Kingdom of Thessaly, which is an expansionistic Crusader State that presents a constant challenge to Byzantine interests in Greece. Thessaly is currently allied to Bulgaria.

Finally, John III is a fictional character I made up on the spot. Think of him as a much stronger version of OTL's Andronikos.

If my memory serves me correctly, then off the coast of northern Africa is Europe. Do you mean it's to the west of northern Africa in the North Atlantic?

Yes it's west in the Atlantic ocean.

Europe? what's that? never heard of it. Sounds like a place were you can get cough medicine or something...because I need some right about now.;) *Sick*

full of acronyms and initialisms... trying to remeber.

If you are part of the UH (violet spanish caribe), can not you be part of the Democratic Org.? or the GDTO is not about be democratic and is just about be a USA puppet or something around?
Same question with the AC (red spanish south america), not Democratic?
Same question with ASESEAN (a better name), not Democratic but allied with?
Any reason to split South America in 3 and hiper expand ASEAN and NATO?

aniway Xwarq, I enjoy your work enough to question you and never talk about the others 600 maps in this thread.

Hispanoamerica has trade deals and a lot of other deals with the Global Democratic Treaty Organization. They just don't want to fight wars on the other side of the globe for the GDTO. And they don't want English and Indo-European (the experimental language of the European Union--think Hebrew and Israel) to overtake their Spanish and Haitian French culture. So they are not allied.

It is democratic de jure but really corrupt and does not want to succumb to the 'Imperialists' in the USA, Canada, Europe, etc.--so they allied with the more-free-but-also-anti-'imperialist' Arab Union and African Confederation.

The ASSEEAN/ASESEAN is democratic in every sense of the word, it just didn't want to join the GDTO directly. But it still wanted to be allied to the west in the case that China decided to attack.

No, not really. I just wanted it to be different from the future maps where the world is split into one nation per continent.

Also, I might mention that this is supposed to be the world right before nuclear war and the ensuing apocalypse. I'm not saying that'll happen--that's just the scenario I created.

No, definitely not.

Why not? Besides Armenia.

Since I spent a lot of time mulling over it, the US Presidential Election, 2000 in my 51st State time line (see sig):

EDIT: NB: The 2000 census doesn't take effect until the 2004 election, so all the new states only have 3 EV's a piece. That's going to change in fairly short order.

The tickets are:

Democrats- William Clinton (Arkansas) and Anthony Blair (England)
Republicans- John McCain (Arizona) and Lee Hoi-Chang (South Korea)
Reform- Ross Perot (Texas) and Ron Paul (Texas)
Social Democrats- Poul Rasmussen (Denmark) and Ernesto Zedillo (Mexico)
LAMMP- Joseph Estrada (Central Luzon) and ?
DPJ- [FONT=&quot]Yukio Hatoyama (Hokkaido) and Naoto Kan (Chugoku)[/FONT]

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks interesting ... and done with great attention to the detail.
Could you please sketch what you thought about the development of this world?
I can't seem to find a prior posting of yours in case you described it there ...

As I don't know anything about a PoD or other assumptions, I can't say a lot about the map.
However, I noticed that several borders seem to follow very unlikely paths, skew to natural boundaries.

Oh well. Truthfully the map is me trying to make a much nicer version of a smaller map, you know the ones with the basic layout for maps here. Anyways, I didnt really follow much of a POD system. I was just messing around trying to make a cool looking world.

What happens though quite early on is Lithuania becomes independent of the polish Crown, and allies itself with Pskov, a small state. When the the Teutonic Order attacks Pskov, Lithuania, along with Muscovy and Novgorod go to defend it, and win. Then a couple months later Poland attacks Lithuania in an attempt to take control of land, however Hungary comes in from the South, and through a long war, the Hungarian-Lithuanian alliance wins. Thats why we have such a large Lithuania.

With Austria and Bavaria, an expansionist Bohemia leads to the first "Inner War of Rights," where the Holy Roman Empire goes to war with Bohemia for unrightfully gobbling up smaller neighbors.

Um, Aragon goes on to conquer Naples. The Byzantine Empire takes over Trebizond, and then conquers Georgia. The Turks win a war against the Timurid Empire, alongside the Iraqi nation, and the Golden Horde.

Granada is also in a Personal Union under Tunis, which has conquered much of the north African coast.

So yeah not very likely, just for fun, and I just wanted to see if I could make a nice looking map. :p

Are all those states 3 EV because the census hasn't made the rounds yet?

Yeah, the '02 election is when the House is completely turned on end, and the '04 election is when we really see a change in the distribution of power. Mexico state will have 25 EV's if I remember correctly, and Kanto will have around 47 (out of 1258) for the sake of example.

The War to end all wars...
A War to endure for a century...

A Great War that's still being fought today. From 1914 to 2014 possibly.

-The Soviet Union fell around the 70's
-America is having some trouble south of the Border.
-Japan went crazy, while everyone else was occupying there self's inside Europe's war zone.
-Africa is chaotic zone of spontaneous revolutions.

Here the Central Powers of 2011

Central Powers
-German Empire
-Hapsburg Empire
-Ottoman Empire
-Bulgarian Empire
-Poland
-Ireland
-Persia
-Afghanistan
-India
-Mexico

Technology in this world is the same 1910's / 1920's style only with TV's and computers. Kind of like how the Fallout universe is all 40's 50's style.

thewartoneverend2011.png

Can someone say, what a messed up idea that the Great War never ending.

Yeah, the '02 election is when the House is completely turned on end, and the '04 election is when we really see a change in the distribution of power. Mexico state will have 25 EV's if I remember correctly, and Kanto will have around 47 (out of 1258) for the sake of example.

Good, as long as everyone wasn't just getting screwed over and stuck with three. It took me a moment to think that it may just be the census hadn't caught up.

The War to end all wars...
A War to endure for a century...

A Great War that's still being fought today. From 1914 to 2014 possibly.

-The Soviet Union fell around the 70's
-America is having some trouble south of the Border.
-Japan went crazy, while everyone else was occupying there self's inside Europe's war zone.
-Africa is chaotic zone of spontaneous revolutions.

Here the Central Powers of 2011

Central Powers
-German Empire
-Hapsburg Empire
-Ottoman Empire
-Bulgarian Empire
-Poland
-Ireland
-Persia
-Afghanistan
-India
-Mexico

Technology in this world is the same 1910's / 1920's style only with TV's and computers. Kind of like how the Fallout universe is all 40's 50's style.

Can someone say, what a messed up idea that the Great War never ending.

That is impossible.

Since I spent a lot of time mulling over it, the US Presidential Election, 2000 in my 51st State time line (see sig):

The tickets are:

Democrats- William Clinton (Arkansas) and Anthony Blair (England)
Republicans- John McCain (Arizona) and Lee Hoi-Chang (South Korea)
Reform- Ross Perot (Texas) and Ron Paul (Texas)
Social Democrats- Poul Rasmussen (Denmark) and Ernesto Zedillo (Mexico)
LAMMP- Joseph Estrada (Central Luzon) and ?
DPJ- [FONT=&quot]Yukio Hatoyama (Hokkaido) and Naoto Kan (Chugoku)[/FONT]

Ontario must have a lot less people than OTL. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.