Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

The Grandeur That Was Carthage:
A Carthaginian wank OR the states arising from its legacy such as the Latin nations of OTL OR the Holy Carthaginian Empire/"Byzantine" Carthage

I really, really like this one, and I think it's different from anything done before.

Krall

Banned
Can the weapon have malfunctioned and caused worldwide devastation?

Two words: hell yes.

Keeping up with the Firangis:
Show the mediterranean nations in 1900 of a TL where Islam (at least that part of it west of India) had it's own scientific revolution in paralell to the Christian one in the 1600s.
(PODs after 1200: let's keep Europe at least vaguely recognizeable)

Now this I like.

The main two challenge suggestions I like at the moment are the above Islamic Scientific Revolution and the Not French Revolution.

Two words: hell yes.

Now this I like.

The main two challenge suggestions I like at the moment are the above Islamic Scientific Revolution and the Not French Revolution.

I have a notion for the current round, but you say that it must be a _powerful_ nation that develops the doomsday device: is that a definite condition for the contest?

Bruce

The Grandeur That Was Carthage:
A Carthaginian wank OR the states arising from its legacy such as the Latin nations of OTL OR the Holy Carthaginian Empire/"Byzantine" Carthage

What about this? Could be Carthage, or anything.

Epitome of Classical Antiquity
Instead of the Romans, some other people or nation dominated some, most, or all, of the Mediterranean. Create a map of this Mediterranean empire, the states arising from its legacy, like the Christian/Latin/Romanic nations of Europe in OTL, or a country that claims to recreate this empire in a different location, like the Holy Roman Empire of OTL.

Instead of the Romans, some other people or nation dominated some, most, or all, of the Mediterranean. Create a map of this Mediterranean empire, the states arising from its legacy, like the Christian/Latin/Romanic nations of Europe in OTL, or a country that claims to recreate this empire in a different location, like the Holy Roman Empire of OTL.
I support that one.

Krall

Banned
I have a notion for the current round, but you say that it must be a _powerful_ nation that develops the doomsday device: is that a definite condition for the contest?

Bruce

That clause is mainly to prevent people just doing Ameriwanks, but also to prevent people creating ridiculous situations where minor countries develop The Weapon. If you've got an idea for a map where a country that you're not sure would be considered "powerful" develops The Weapon, then send me a PM or post it here and I'll say if the idea seems permissible.

Ah, now that I do like.

The list of challenges I'm seriously considering now consists of "Epitome of Classical Antiquity", "Not French Revolution", and "Islamic Scientific Revolution".

The list of challenges I'm seriously considering now consists of "Epitome of Classical Antiquity", "Not French Revolution", and "Islamic Scientific Revolution".

I like "Epitome of Classical Antiquity" a lot, but I feel like "Islamic Scientific Revolution" could wind up being too similar to "The Caliphate of Rum" from MoF 16.

I like "Epitome of Classical Antiquity" a lot, but I feel like "Islamic Scientific Revolution" could wind up being too similar to "The Caliphate of Rum" from MoF 16.

Well, the idea I had was that we have roughly simulatanous scientific revolutions in Islam and Christendom, so it's not necessarily an Islamowank. (OTL, after all, was a Christowank :D )

Bruce

Krall

Banned
Well, it looks like "Epitome of Classical Antiquity" has the most undivided support, so that one will probably be next. I'll try and think of an appropriate, witty name for it.

I like the idea of a not-french "Freedom, Equality and Brotherhood" revolution.

"Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood!"

A country where women are not allowed to vote, hold property etc continues into the latter quarter of the 20th Century, the status quo maintained by increasingly repressive methods. With the 'covert' assistance of a large nation on another continent, where women's emancipation has progressed roughly as in OTL, 1990 (when did apartheid end?) sees an armed uprising by militant women and their male supporters and the establishment of a new republican order. After a period of consolidation, the new republic wages cold and hot wars on its neighbouring male dominated nations.

Maps could be based upon the original nation and/or progress against chauvinist nations. Or whatever, it's never good to stifle imagination, is it?

Islamwank 632-1453
Ottomanwank 1300-1821
Islamscrew 1821-2010

Hardening of the Islamic mental arteries vs Europe, 1000s on.
Humiliating losses in their own heartland to Crusaders, 1100-1170s.
Loss of most of Spain, 1100-1270s.
Horrible stomping and dreadful damage to the heartlands by pagan Mongols, 1200s.
Increased dominance of Med trade by Christians, 1200s on.

Not an IslamScrew, but not an Islam-wank, either: steady growth in Asia, but nothing as spectacular as the first century. Islam in 1453 looks wanky from the persepective of 632: from that of 1100, not so much. (And I'd say the screw started by the early 1700s and just went full steam ahead after the Napoleonic wars.)

Bruce

Penelope

Banned

I support this.

"Freedom, Equality, Sisterhood!"

I like this one too. :cool: Or to make it a little broader, a world in which gender conflict plays nearly the same role as racial conflict in OTL. This is tough to do since for the species to continue men and women need to have some interaction (so gender segregationism/separatism isn't feasible), at least until cloning is invented and people actually don't NEED the opposite gender :eek: :D

I agree with Jman, a map of an armed struggle for women's rights sounds pretty intriguing to me. I'd try to make it pretty vague, though.