Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

My idea. I admit it might need a little work.:eek:

Manifest Destiny

Many countries believed it was their god-given right to expand.
Create a map showing a country with this belief that it is destined to expand and grow, and uses it to justify its own aggressive imperialist expansion.
It could be a country that never expanded (much) in OTL, or one that did, but if so
in this world does in another direction.
Examples:
An Australian state decides it is destined to rule Indonesia.
The founding fathers of the USA decide to concentrate on liberating Canada before expanding west.
The Tsar chooses to ignore the Siberian wastelands to the east and instead concentrates on expanding into Poland. Or Scandinavia. Or Turkey.
The rulers of Sweden/Poland/Ottoman Empire decide to do the opposite.

Note this should not just be Germany wants to expand into Belgium to get acces to the Channel Ports. The nation must have a deep, ingrained belief it is destined to expand in this way (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny), therefore it would probably be pre-1900. Lebensraum I suppose would be the exception, but if you were making a map of Germany it would have to expand West or North or South rather than East as it did IOTL.

Thande

Donor
Here's a suggestion

The North-South Divide
In OTL the Cold War was described as an ideological struggle between East and West, while the North/South division was one of prosperity versus poverty.
Reverse this. Set up a Cold War-style ideological conflict between two equal power blocs, one based in the northern hemisphere and one in the south.
Extra points if there is also a prosperity/poverty divide of east and west.

No restrictions on POD, with world maps preferred but regional ones accepted too. Potential?

My problem with To Salted Earth, Through Burning Sky is that it just seems too generic. In a way that Let's Get Depressing was not.

I like Enemy of My Enemy, Five Minutes to Midnight and North/South Divide quite a bit.

My idea. I admit it might need a little work.:eek:

Manifest Destiny

Many countries believed it was their god-given right to expand.
Create a map showing a country with this belief that it is destined to expand and grow, and uses it to justify its own aggressive imperialist expansion.
It could be a country that never expanded (much) in OTL, or one that did, but if so
in this world does in another direction.
Examples:
An Australian state decides it is destined to rule Indonesia.
The founding fathers of the USA decide to concentrate on liberating Canada before expanding west.
The Tsar chooses to ignore the Siberian wastelands to the east and instead concentrates on expanding into Poland. Or Scandinavia. Or Turkey.
The rulers of Sweden/Poland/Ottoman Empire decide to do the opposite.

Note this should not just be Germany wants to expand into Belgium to get acces to the Channel Ports. The nation must have a deep, ingrained belief it is destined to expand in this way (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_Destiny), therefore it would probably be pre-1900. Lebensraum I suppose would be the exception, but if you were making a map of Germany it would have to expand West or North or South rather than East as it did IOTL.

I. Like. This. A. Lot.

Here's a suggestion

The North-South Divide
In OTL the Cold War was described as an ideological struggle between East and West, while the North/South division was one of prosperity versus poverty.
Reverse this. Set up a Cold War-style ideological conflict between two equal power blocs, one based in the northern hemisphere and one in the south.
Extra points if there is also a prosperity/poverty divide of east and west.

No restrictions on POD, with world maps preferred but regional ones accepted too. Potential?

ooh, nice.

Bruce

Krall

Banned
Damn it! I was getting excited about the "From Salted Earth Through Burning Sky" idea! :mad:

I'm really not sure what has happened to cause your sudden distress. :confused:

The new MoF threads and what not will all be posted soon. I'm sorry it's two days late, but I've had organisational, memory and game addiction issues to contend with.