Opinions on an Irish TL.

Blame Thierry Henri and that hand ball! Nah, I don't doubt that it will be very intresting, but I've already started one TL, which I haven't updated in ages, and I'd like to get this one done over the summer.

Also there's some other ideas I'm toying with including a commie Britain in the 1800s. I can be a sort of advisor on some issues if you like, but not a partner.

Thank you Pundit, it probably would have been a good idea to check the FAQ first.:(

An advisor would be lovely. Thank you.:)

Oh. The problem is that well, this happens too often so people can perhaps be overzealous in their desire to prevent it.

Really? This has been done before? Damn.

Well I wouldn't call this overpowered Ireland, I'm not conquering the world or anything. It's sort of a less powerful British empire I would say.

Also the green parts of North and South America are basically dominions anyway.

Really? This has been done before? Damn.

Well I wouldn't call this overpowered Ireland, I'm not conquering the world or anything. It's sort of a less powerful British empire I would say.

Also the green parts of North and South America are basically dominions anyway.
Certainly my opinion is that the best outcome for Ireland involves them moving along similarly to the Netherlands at the height of their power and is what I am moving them towards in my TL obviously.

Certainly my opinion is that the best outcome for Ireland involves them moving along similarly to the Netherlands at the height of their power and is what I am moving them towards in my TL obviously.

It all comes down to consequence and fate. Britain came tyo power through chance, Napoleon failed through chance etc.
It is my opinion that Ireland could have been had an empire as powerful as Britain, very wankish I must admit but I am determined to do anything to make this work.

ARrrggh

I was working towards this eventually, in my TL :(
There is nothing new under the sun is there????

Zombie Roundheads? That is if you don't mind ASB.

I don't think he was referring to zombies. It seemed he was referring to alliance betwen the French, Scots, and Irish against England. Such as I had mentioned in the post above his. I assure that there will be NO walking dead in my TL. :)

I don't think he was referring to zombies. It seemed he was referring to alliance betwen the French, Scots, and Irish against England. Such as I had mentioned in the post above his. I assure that there will be NO walking dead in my TL. :)

I was suggesting something that hasn't been done before.

Brian Boru's son Murchadh (he himself survives) takes the kingship after his father's death at Clontarf.
Absorbs the remaining viking settlements into the kingdom and uses their expertise in ship building.

So begineth the sea empire of the Irish.

Rule the waves...

Brian Boru's son Murchadh (he himself survives) takes the kingship after his father's death at Clontarf.
Absorbs the remaining viking settlements into the kingdom and uses their expertise in ship building.

So begineth the sea empire of the Irish.

Rule the waves...

Brian liked the navy himself, used ships in the same way as the vikings to raid coastal settlements. So longboats all the way.

Brian liked the navy himself, used ships in the same way as the vikings to raid coastal settlements. So longboats all the way.
Never knew that!

But I can see them harnessing the forests of Ireland to create fleets. Longboats to galleons to...

Never knew that!

But I can see them harnessing the forests of Ireland to create fleets. Longboats to galleons to...

To Sky Galleons!
Just kidding :D

One of my ideas would be an early discovery of the New World via Irish monks trying to find the Garden of Eden.
I'm basing it on those theories that Atlantis was in Anartica in 10,000BC and they had maps of America wich the Egyptians got hold of and then copies of those wound up in Constantinopale. Look up the Piri Reis map for more details.

Imagine Irish monks travelling with tge crusaders to get to Jerusalem, on the way they attack Constantinople (because they can). The monks try to save the ancient documents and manuscripts and as it would happen, one of them saves a bit detailng an undiscovered continent. Imagine the rest.

Anyway, fancy ships would assist this Atlantic crossing.

Don't you die on me!
*zap*

To keep you miserable millions happy, here's a bit of a timeline. No where near completed but then again, Rome wasn't built in a day. Though I could probably write this enitre thing in 14 hrs if given enough spirits, history books and a half decent incentive. Anyway enjoy:D

The Lion of Ireland

• Briain kills King of Leinster, Máel Morda at the battle of Clontarf.
•Makes peace with Viking king of Dubh Linn, Sigtrygg Silkbeard in the Treaty of Armagh.
•Begins campaigning against the rebel clans of Leinster.

•Briain completes his conquest of Leinster, bringing all the tribes to heel.
•Appoints his*son, Tadg Mac Briain, King of Leinster.
•Arranges a meeting of all the kings and chiefs of Ireland at Tara.
•The Vikings of Man launch increasingly brutal raids on the Irish coast at the command of their new king, Brodir.
•Briain has a crown made for his coronation. *A golden diadem.*

•The minor leaders recognise Briain as their overlord in the Treaty of Tara. *Every cheiftain swears alliegence to one of the four kings (now called Larlas), who in turn swear their alliegence to the High King.
•Begins preperations for conquest of the Isle of Man, to end the Norse raids. *Several chieftains and Larlas volunteer in the hope of gaining the strategic island for themselves.
•The Cabhlach Ríoga na Gaeilge (Royal Irish Navy) is founded, with it's home port in Dubh Linn. *It is the personal possession of the king. *Briain appoints his son, Flan Mac Briain, commander. *He begins rading shipping around Man.

•Invasion of the Isle of Man. *A force of 6,000 men are landed on the western coast under the command of Briain, as well as a sizeable force of Norse-Gaels under*Sigtrygg. *They advance towards the fort of Douglas, meeting scattered resistance from Brodirs men. *
•The two forces meet just outside Douglas. *Brodir has the advantage of knowing the local terrain, but Brian has the larger force and Sigtryggs men took the settlement by sea during the battle. *
•The king is killed by Brodir during the battle, who in turn is killed by Briains eledest son,*Conchobar who rallied the men preventing a mass route. *After the battle he is hailed as king by Sigtrygg and the present nobles.
•He is crowned, "Conchobar I, High King of Ireland" by the Arch bishop of Armagh on 1 May. *Briain is buried in St Patricks Cathedral two days later.
•Conchobar gifts Sigtryyg the Isle of Man as a reward for his loyalty and services in the invasion of Man.
•Several prominent Larlas and chieftains decide to take advantage of this situation and plot to overthrow the new king. *Amongst their number is the former High King and Larla of Meath, Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill.

To Sky Galleons!
Just kidding :D

Anyway, fancy ships would assist this Atlantic crossing.

Hmmm maybe not!
Okay its a mad maaad stretch. But new documents are found from the pre-Gael era of the Tuatha De Danann, outlining the plans and operations of "flying ships"
Longboat/dirigible...

Hmmm maybe not!
Okay its a mad maaad stretch. But new documents are found from the pre-Gael era of the Tuatha De Danann, outlining the plans and operations of "flying ships"
Longboat/dirigible...

The flying boats were just a joke. Let the chinese muck about with gases untill they can make a "boat" fly. I'll settle with discovering a new continent and being more buff then the Republic of England. :p

Yes Saturn, Hail us!

The flying boats were just a joke. Let the chinese muck about with gases untill they can make a "boat" fly. I'll settle with discovering a new continent and being more buff then the Republic of England. :p

Yes Saturn, Hail us!
Wellllll yeah I know but the Tuatha DeDanann did come to us by flying boat.
Maybe an early zeppelin... with a longboat for a gondola

Wellllll yeah I know but the Tuatha DeDanann did come to us by flying boat.
Maybe an early zeppelin... with a longboat for a gondola

If the story had any basis in fact, then the "boat" in question would probably be some kind of space craft (ancient astronauts) and would be far beyond the capability of the greatest medieval mind. I don't think Da Vinci could crack FLT. No, it'll be a gas experiment in the 1800s, probably in a less messed up China or a surviving Poland. But the Gaels will take full advantage of this development, the flying boat will be a key part of warfare within 50 years of it's creation.