Opinions on an Irish TL.

No that was his official title. Given to him by the Abbot of Armagh for a donation of 22 ounces of gold. "Imperator Scottorum," Latin for "Emperor of the Irish". In irish it would have been "Impire na Gaeilge" It would be part of his full title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru#Emperor_of_the_Irish

Why do people find it so hard to believe? We're not backward savages that the English just walked all over, we have a sense of class and grandeur as well. Calling himself Emperor was a way of elevating himself above the largely powerless position of High King, he was going to turn Ireland feudal.

I do believe that he used that title, but I'm sceptical about the fact whether this rather grand title would have been recognized outside of Ireland. So that's why I made the remark, that for foreign countries the 'emperor of the Irish' would have been the king of all the Irish.

I do believe that he used that title, but I'm sceptical about the fact whether this rather grand title would have been recognized outside of Ireland. So that's why I made the remark, that for foreign countries the 'emperor of the Irish' would have been the king of all the Irish.

Well kings and emperors have the same powers and roles really, so he was king of ireland as well. It's just a name he gave himself to create distiction between him and the old High Kings.

It doesn't really matter how grand it was anyway, it was purely to put the little kings in their place. The rest of the world would have known he was a king but addressed him as Emperor. it's not like the name is going to really change things.

1 Well kings and emperors have the same powers and roles really, so he was king of ireland as well. It's just a name he gave himself to create distiction between him and the old High Kings.

2 It doesn't really matter how grand it was anyway, it was purely to put the little kings in their place. The rest of the world would have known he was a king but addressed him as Emperor. it's not like the name is going to really change things.

1 In practice kings and emperors have (more or less, there was a reason for the fact that the pope and the emperor had their differences) the same role, but not in terms of status and rank. A recognition of his imperial title would have made him equal in rank to the Holy Roman Emperor and superior to the king of France, which makes a recognition as emperor very unlikely.

2 Well Ireland had a lot of kings, which in reality only had the same level of power as foreign dukes, earls and counts; likewise the high king of Ireland would have had the same level of power as a king in other european christian countries. So I'm thinking of the opposite: The rest of the world would have known he called himself a emperor but addressed him as king.

1 In practice kings and emperors have (more or less, there was a reason for the fact that the pope and the emperor had their differences) the same role, but not in terms of status and rank. A recognition of his imperial title would have made him equal in rank to the Holy Roman Emperor and superior to the king of France, which makes a recognition as emperor very unlikely.

2 Well Ireland had a lot of kings, which in reality only had the same level of power as foreign dukes, earls and counts; likewise the high king of Ireland would have had the same level of power as a king in other european christian countries. So I'm thinking of the opposite: The rest of the world would have known he called himself a emperor but addressed him as king.

I was thinking of changing it to "Aon Ri", meaning One King. But that would mean that the others would be demoted to Dukes and Lords.

Sorry, but Thande hulks out almost immediately... ;)

Well it's not like Scotland and England are are being included, just Wales, Cornwall and the bit of land around Liverpool and Manchester.

Besides, England and Scotland will do pretty well anyway. Scotland will be built on trade and get some quite prosperous colonies (I was thinking Nova Scotia and Guyana, Scotland will be a late starter to America).

And England will be very powerful, under their French king :D. That is untill they revolt and become a republic. Not even all of England either, Northumbria will become a Scottish puppet, and the Anglo-French are getting the south coast. Take that England!

If an Irish king tried to call himself an emperor he'd probally be shortly ousted by a papally sanctioned English invasion or internal rebellion or somesuch.
Emperor is a powerful term in those days, not to be used lightly by some uppity petty-king. The only place it was used was with those who claimed to be Roman emperor; only one of whom was Papally sanctioned.
Stick with High King. People like recycling titles from the distant semi-legendary past.

No that was his official title. Given to him by the Abbot of Armagh for a donation of 22 ounces of gold. "Imperator Scottorum," Latin for "Emperor of the Irish". In irish it would have been "Impire na Gaeilge" It would be part of his full title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru#Emperor_of_the_Irish

Why do people find it so hard to believe? We're not backward savages that the English just walked all over, we have a sense of class and grandeur as well. Calling himself Emperor was a way of elevating himself above the largely powerless position of High King, he was going to turn Ireland feudal.

If an Irish king tried to call himself an emperor he'd probally be shortly ousted by a papally sanctioned English invasion or internal rebellion or somesuch.
Emperor is a powerful term in those days, not to be used lightly by some uppity petty-king. The only place it was used was with those who claimed to be Roman emperor; only one of whom was Papally sanctioned.
Stick with High King. People like recycling titles from the distant semi-legendary past.
Note the above. It's OTL. No one declared a crusade. (Of course, no one outside Ireland probably paid attention. And you can translate 'Imperator' multiple ways. Still...)

It was an official title, given to him by the official, papal apointed Archbishop of Armagh. As Dathi says, no one paid much attention in the 12 years Brian held power.

And stop going on about how unlikely it was, I get it. The more people say how Ireland couldn't do this, that and the other, then the more ASB this gets.

Ressurection time me thinks.

Hello all, yes I'm back. So a noob question, how to I post my own pictures? I've made a few maps via paint and whenever I go to post them it doesn't work. Suggestions?

What you can do to maybe save the emperor bit is try to things:

Emperor of the Irish that explicitly confines his domain to a people that were never under Roman imperial dominion and makes it less of a propaganda coup or have it translated as whatever the Celtic word for Caesar to use Tsar. The reason I did it my TL was because there was a never a Roman Emperor (instead two Consuls) the emperor was just of the "irish nation" had some papal sanction since it essentially became a proto-theocratic state, the Pope was a puppet of the Lombards with his temporal authority almost nonexistent and his spiritual authority rarely heeded beyond the Alps, and the Byzantines were ruled by a dynasty that didn't care about some piece of land that was never Roman. I will say that saying something is unlikely does not make something ASB. Don't give them cause to say it then. Look there is some degree of handwaving in any TL and some people will accept almost nothing but you can always go back and refine what happens.

As for the pictures make sure they are not too big to be posted. The size limits on AH.com are okay, but not really as good as at other places and it's possible that it's failing because the image is too data intensive.

Last edited:
You could merge this thread with mine!
You'd have Louis XI's marriage with Margaret of Scotland being one of like minds, her brother dies instead of her and she becomes Queen of Scotland, her eldest son, Louis, marries a daughter of the Earl of Kildare and her daughter marries a Welsh prince while her second son, Charles, marries the daughter, Margaret, of King Christian I who in the 1460's ruled about all of Scandinavia. Her son, Louis, is king of France and Scotland on his father's death and his son is also King of Ireland and then we marry him to his cousin the daughter of that Welsh prince. Their son then ends up marrying the granddaughter of Charles and Margaret of Scandinavia and their kid is then the ruler of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and France.

You can then pressure England into forgoing any expeditions in the new world and most of North America is now a mix of French, Gaelic, and Scandinavian peoples.

Whew! Just thinking of that makes me a little manic and I'm grinning as I write this. It might be a wee bit implausible but it could happen!
What do you think?

I've made it half the size, still won't work. I select all, go to copy and when I go to try and paste it its blank :(

Thanks for advice MNPundit, I've heard some of the titles English kings used, Emperor of Britain, Ceaser, Augustus, Imperator etc.

I'm fine for a merger Saturn, horse is a camel designed by commity and all that. My inlfuence in your TL would probably be worthless.

You don't sound terribly optimistic...
Well if you are then forward the Celto-Frankish Alliance! (Now with added vikings!)

I've made it half the size, still won't work. I select all, go to copy and when I go to try and paste it its blank :(
Uh, that's not how you post pictures in this forum if I understand you correctly.

From the FAQ:
How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

You don't sound terribly optimistic...
Well if you are then forward the Celto-Frankish Alliance! (Now with added vikings!)

Blame Thierry Henri and that hand ball! Nah, I don't doubt that it will be very intresting, but I've already started one TL, which I haven't updated in ages, and I'd like to get this one done over the summer.

Also there's some other ideas I'm toying with including a commie Britain in the 1800s. I can be a sort of advisor on some issues if you like, but not a partner.

Thank you Pundit, it probably would have been a good idea to check the FAQ first.:(

And heres the second one. With clear influence from the Ill Bethisad alt hist, I'm not very original when it comes to borders.

This is pre-Ottoman/Turk fall. I prefer this one much more.

Irish empire, much better.png