Opinions on an Irish TL.

Well I was thinking that the Sidhe were exiles from Atlantis with Lighter than air craft.
Say Hydrogen....?
or perhaps simpler hot air baloons.

Yup this is a non runner and a mad stretch.

Better a large longboat navy for ruling the waves. We do need to introduce a rolling development for new tech though.
An Irish Athens/Alexandria with its own Heron.... The Academy of Emain Macha

Yeah a genius would be useful.

I had the idea that as Ireland moves further away from the catholic church, monks will begin to act more like scholars and scientists then holy men. They had already proven to be capable of acting like scientists during the early dark ages after christianity came to Ireland, frankly I think that they could have done it.

But there developments will be like new methods of agriculture, improved sanitation, better medicene. Just things to improve the lives of the people.

Don't you die on me!
*zap*

To keep you miserable millions happy, here's a bit of a timeline. No where near completed but then again, Rome wasn't built in a day. Though I could probably write this enitre thing in 14 hrs if given enough spirits, history books and a half decent incentive. Anyway enjoy:D

The Lion of Ireland

• Briain kills King of Leinster, Máel Morda at the battle of Clontarf.
•Makes peace with Viking king of Dubh Linn, Sigtrygg Silkbeard in the Treaty of Armagh.
•Begins campaigning against the rebel clans of Leinster.

•Briain completes his conquest of Leinster, bringing all the tribes to heel.
•Appoints his*son, Tadg Mac Briain, King of Leinster.
•Arranges a meeting of all the kings and chiefs of Ireland at Tara.
•The Vikings of Man launch increasingly brutal raids on the Irish coast at the command of their new king, Brodir.
•Briain has a crown made for his coronation. *A golden diadem.*

•The minor leaders recognise Briain as their overlord in the Treaty of Tara. *Every cheiftain swears alliegence to one of the four kings (now called Larlas), who in turn swear their alliegence to the High King.
•Begins preperations for conquest of the Isle of Man, to end the Norse raids. *Several chieftains and Larlas volunteer in the hope of gaining the strategic island for themselves.
•The Cabhlach Ríoga na Gaeilge (Royal Irish Navy) is founded, with it's home port in Dubh Linn. *It is the personal possession of the king. *Briain appoints his son, Flan Mac Briain, commander. *He begins rading shipping around Man.

•Invasion of the Isle of Man. *A force of 6,000 men are landed on the western coast under the command of Briain, as well as a sizeable force of Norse-Gaels under*Sigtrygg. *They advance towards the fort of Douglas, meeting scattered resistance from Brodirs men. *
•The two forces meet just outside Douglas. *Brodir has the advantage of knowing the local terrain, but Brian has the larger force and Sigtryggs men took the settlement by sea during the battle. *
•The king is killed by Brodir during the battle, who in turn is killed by Briains eledest son,*Conchobar who rallied the men preventing a mass route. *After the battle he is hailed as king by Sigtrygg and the present nobles.
•He is crowned, "Conchobar I, High King of Ireland" by the Arch bishop of Armagh on 1 May. *Briain is buried in St Patricks Cathedral two days later.
•Conchobar gifts Sigtryyg the Isle of Man as a reward for his loyalty and services in the invasion of Man.
•Several prominent Larlas and chieftains decide to take advantage of this situation and plot to overthrow the new king. *Amongst their number is the former High King and Larla of Meath, Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill.

Nice TL and monasteries during the middle ages were also places of science. If anything monasteries helped the development of regions, being holy men didn't exclude research, that only became an issue (in some countries) much later (the end of the middle ages, reformation etc.).

Last edited:
Nice TL and monasteries during the middle ages were also places of science. If anything monasteries helped the development of regions, being holy men didn't exclude research, that only became an issue (in some countries) much later (the end of the middle ages, reformation etc.).

Thank you Jan. My one problem is whenever I get to the points where not much is happening in a TL, I tend to get bored. I'll stick with this one though, I like this type of history.

And thanks for the info on monasteries.

I'm a bit unsure about this invasion of Mann, it seems way too big and too succesful.
Sure, the people from the east coast will be pissed at the vikings but...to strike at them within a year or two of being hit themselves?...pushing things.
That so many men could be brought together too- considering also that the inland people wouldn't give a crap about the threat to the coast- seems iffy, numbers that big...its huge, up there with the biggest armies established at the time in northern europe (hastings was just 8000 a side max). Even assuming so many men and the food for them can be gathered how will they get so many ships?
Its far more likely the Irish would instead start by raiding Mann with a few hundred men a time then eventually invade with up to 1000 and take it. But quite a bit later after Mann has been suitably weakened too.

I'm a bit unsure about this invasion of Mann, it seems way too big and too succesful.
Sure, the people from the east coast will be pissed at the vikings but...to strike at them within a year or two of being hit themselves?...pushing things.
That so many men could be brought together too- considering also that the inland people wouldn't give a crap about the threat to the coast- seems iffy, numbers that big...its huge, up there with the biggest armies established at the time in northern europe (hastings was just 8000 a side max). Even assuming so many men and the food for them can be gathered how will they get so many ships?
Its far more likely the Irish would instead start by raiding Mann with a few hundred men a time then eventually invade with up to 1000 and take it. But quite a bit later after Mann has been suitably weakened too.

I suppose it is a bit much. I just like to have things happening, medieval politics bores me so I try to have plenty of wars and battles. Also it was a good way of killng of Brian, he's in his 70s and I'd rather he dies in battle then from getting bled by doctors. Anyway thanks for that.

To Sky Galleons!
Just kidding :D

One of my ideas would be an early discovery of the New World via Irish monks trying to find the Garden of Eden.
I'm basing it on those theories that Atlantis was in Anartica in 10,000BC and they had maps of America wich the Egyptians got hold of and then copies of those wound up in Constantinopale. Look up the Piri Reis map for more details.

Imagine Irish monks travelling with tge crusaders to get to Jerusalem, on the way they attack Constantinople (because they can). The monks try to save the ancient documents and manuscripts and as it would happen, one of them saves a bit detailng an undiscovered continent. Imagine the rest.

Anyway, fancy ships would assist this Atlantic crossing.

Ok, bare with me as this is my first post...
The Irish wouldn't need to go to Constantinople to get insoiration to explore to the West Atlantic: They could get it from the Irish "records" about St. Brendan, who according to Irish chronicles (Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis being the main one) discovered the "Promised Land of the Saints" around 500 AD. Some scholars have postulated that this was a pre-Lief Ericson/pre-Columbus discovery of the Americas :D that became a bit mithical in the retelling...

Ok, bare with me as this is my first post...
The Irish wouldn't need to go to Constantinople to get insoiration to explore to the West Atlantic: They could get it from the Irish "records" about St. Brendan, who according to Irish chronicles (Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis being the main one) discovered the "Promised Land of the Saints" around 500 AD. Some scholars have postulated that this was a pre-Lief Ericson/pre-Columbus discovery of the Americas :D that became a bit mithical in the retelling...

Well well well, looks like this old girl has kicked up a bit of intrest again. Oddly enough I've been thinking off having another go at this Irish empire milarky just today.
Also when you said "bare with me as this is my first post", that reminded me of the first post of this thread, where I apologised in advance for the boring tedium that I may create.
Yes I am well aware of old Brendan and his supposed landing in Newfoundland, its an intresting old yarn.

And there was something else i was going to say, oh yes. Welcome to AH.com.

By the way, if you really want Ireland to gain Scotland, I think it is possible if you place your PoD early enough for the Scotti settling in Pictland to become/be replaced by an Irish colonization instead... The capital may eventually be moved to Scotland after the colony was well established, but that would take several centuries and the coultures would not have diverged as much (if at all)... Also, the Empire would probably be Irish in name even after the capital moved.