Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A variation of a future flag of the United states.

It's difficult to make variations of the US flag without them turning out as dorky looking as the original. :(

77 states.

risingus.png

It's difficult to make variations of the US flag without them turning out as dorky looking as the original. :(

77 states.

Looks like a Union of Japan and the US and maybe China in a Firefly type setting.

Excellent flag! I know what you mean though, making a flag look "american" but still distinct from the original is difficult. My idea was a red and blue split field, overlaid with a stylized white lantern shining it's light outwards. I guess the light/bars could individually stand for life, liberty, and the pursuit yadda yadda. It looked unfinished so I added the eagle and rattlesnake.

This was my latest attempt:
AltAmerica7.png

Damn you, Venice! Damn you and your needlessly fancy-schmancy flag that can't be merged with anything!

What about layering the flags like this?

VG2.gif
or
VG1.gif

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
The American flag looks like America carrying Mexico. So in terms of that flag, is Mexico a part of the US?

It could be a reference to the fact that the rattlesnake is also a symbol of the USA, or rather the "American colonies" as it dates back to the 1750s.

The "Join or Die" snake... I forgot about that. But what would that mean then, a new wave of [forget the word]*? Because hardly anybody would get that now, let alone the future.

*What is the word? Nationalism? Sort of like a return to the past, like how nationalist Italians -- even those living in America -- want to see the return of the Roman Empire/ NeoRoman Empire.

Thande

Donor
The "Join or Die" snake... I forgot about that. But what would that mean then, a new wave of [forget the word]*? Because hardly anybody would get that now, let alone the future.
It reappeared as "Don't Tread On Me" during the American Revolution, and that has enjoyed a resurgence since 9/11.

*What is the word? Nationalism? Sort of like a return to the past, like how nationalist Italians -- even those living in America -- want to see the return of the Roman Empire/ NeoRoman Empire.

Romanticism?

It could be a reference to the fact that the rattlesnake is also a symbol of the USA, or rather the "American colonies" as it dates back to the 1750s.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

My idea for that flag was less of a futuristic U.S. flag and more of an alternate evolution of an american flag. Possibly the problems encountered adding stars and stripes as the country grew led to a whole new direction (with the rattlesnake as a nod to the original colonies).

My other theory was that a new flag was proscribed in writing by congress but in an unprecise manner leading to precedent of similar but varied flags for many years. An ambiguous vexillogical blazon could create all sorts of problems. Kind of like how the exact arrangement of the stars on OTL U.S. flag weren't originally laid out. So congress decides the flag is to be a red and blue partitioned field, overlaid with a white lantern and within that an eagle and snake. Permutations abound for years, untill a final unified design is adopted.

Philip

Donor
The same with coat of arms, which unfortunately did not come out as cleanly as I'd hoped.

I think the flag needs the arms. Without them, I don't see France represented. Savoy in the arms clashes with Savoy in the flag. Perhaps alternating the quadrants of the field? Scotland in the upper-left and lower-right. Savoy in the others.

Thande

Donor
Without them, I don't see France represented.

Look closer, the blue of Scotland, white of England and red of Savoy forms the Tricolour in the background. (This is supposed to be a moderate or Bonapartist French monarchy that prior to the union used the tricolour with a fleur-de-lys coat of arms on top as its flag, similar to the OTL one below).

800px-Drapeau_royal_de_France.png

Look closer, the blue of Scotland, white of England and red of Savoy forms the Tricolour in the background. (This is supposed to be a moderate or Bonapartist French monarchy that prior to the union used the tricolour with a fleur-de-lys coat of arms on top as its flag, similar to the OTL one below).

That's pretty clever, but maybe the middle stripe could be thicker (and the cantons squarer) to make it more obvious?

Thande

Donor
That's pretty clever, but maybe the middle stripe could be thicker (and the cantons squarer) to make it more obvious?

It could be done, but I tried that back when we were looking at Anglo-French flags and it looks a bit ugly. I'm sure it could be pulled off by a truly gifted vexillographer though.

Was actually wondering if someone could make me a very simple flag. White background with a black figure in the center - a fox in sprint. Stylized something like in this post: here

Krall

Banned

77 states.

Very nice and original. The blue looks rather washed out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.