Alternate States

I picked a few of the new state movements from Wikipedia, and added Cuba for fun :)

2vv9s0j.png

First map, by the way. Please don't be too harsh.

I was making an alternate states map until I realized that if there was no Mexican Cessation, there would be no Kansas-Nebraska Act.

Very nice. Finally, a map with Puerto Rico as a state.

I know. Puerto Rico would make an awesome state!

The reason why Dakota was broken up, was because the population was concentrated on opposite sides of the territory. I think that although it can be kept together by butterflies, it's a less likely butterfly.

Oh, I never knew why Dakota was split up. Now I know. LOL. You learn soemthing everyday.

The only problem I have with this is the improbability that the rest of what we know as Canada not becoming part of the United States after Upper and Lower Canada's secession from the British Empire as either territory after the American Revolutionary War or after a (far more successful, American-wise) War of 1812. Other than this, a fine map.

Good point. I might re-edit the map to include some more states. And thank you for the compliment. :)

Map of the 77(?) States of the United States of America.

Lawrence - Red
Area given to the USA after The Revolution, due to the Treaty of Paris. Named after The Saint Lawrence River/Bay. In the 1970s the name Saint Lawrence was changed to Lawrence, after a massive petition stating that the name violated Seperation of Church and State.

Quebec - Dark Grey
One of the Fifteen Original Colonies. Joined The Revolution after Benedict Arnold succefully invaded The Canadian Colonies.

Canada - Green
One of the Fifteen Original Colonies. Joined The Revolution after Benedict Arnold succefully invaded The Canadian Colonies.

Cascadia - Light Blue
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after the Cascadia Mountains.

Vancouver (Island) - Yellow
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after George Vancouver, who discovered the Island in the Eighteenth Century.

Washington - Orange
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after General (later President) George Washington.

Lewis - Dark Purple
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after Meriwether Lewis, Co-Leader of Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Clark - Lime Green
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after William Clark, Co-Leader of Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Oregon - Pale
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory.

Alaska - Maroon
Bought from The Russian Empire in 1876. Territory expanded into The Northern Territory.

Nanavut - Brown
One of the two states to be formed from The Northern Territory. The second state (After Seuoyah) to be given Native American Rule. Named after the Inuit word for "Our Home Land".

Yukon - Pink
One of the two states to be formed from The Northern territory. Named after the Yukon River, which itself is named after the Gwich’in word for "Great River".

Montana - Light Brown
((Nothing much here. Just extended territory into what is OTL Canada)).

Jefferson - Light Grey
Named after President Thomas Jefferson.

Winnipeg- Light Purple
Named after Lake Winnipeg, which is the Cree name for the lake that translate into "Muddy Waters".

Arnold - Light Red
Named after General (later President) Benedict Arnold, whose military leadership allowed Canada and Quebec to join The Union.

Hudson - Mustard Yellow
Named after The Hudson Bay, which itself is named after it's discoverer, Henry Hudson.

Columbia - Forest Green
Named after Christopher Columbus. There has been much controversy over the name in resent years, due to Columbus' actions against native Americans. However no new name has been officially suggested to The State Congress.

Other "New" States - Blackish Grey

sourceNA 2.png

sourceNA 2.png

Last edited:
No offense, but arbitrary borders don't make any sense in Far Canada. Straight lines are all right if they're not placed badly, but squiggles somebody drew on a map... ugh.

Oh, I thought the map would be better if the borders were not straight. Straight borders just seem so...unatural. Sorry about that.

Oh, I thought the map would be better if the borders were not straight. Straight borders just seem so...unatural. Sorry about that.
A wiggly border is natural if there is something important out there with irregularity (e.g. Germans vs. Czechs). Canada is a whole lot of wilderness, though, and there's no point in going to the trouble of plotting out the details of wilderness. What is important in Canada, though, is avoiding borders that divide relatively easy-to-travel-through regions into pieces. The Manitoba-Ontario border is, to a first approximation, the watershed between the Nelson and the rivers east of it.

I always thought that Washington-Oregon should have a vertical boundary dividing east from west, rather than a horizontal boundary dividing north from south. As it is, the two states both have left-wing progressive western parts, and right-wing conservative eastern parts. This map divides it by idealogical lines. It's not perfect, but it is as close as geographically possible.

washington-oregon boundary.png

Here's one I made that is completely ASB. I just took the 50 largest cities and then had them take turns absorbing the surrounding counties until they met. Thus creating the new fifty states.

state re-division.png