Alternate States

Highlander

Banned
In Jefferson's World, the Midwest seems to have achieved statehood sooner than in OTL. Why is that?

As a smaller population is required (at that point, anyway) for states, they are let in sooner.

wilcoxchar said:
Do you enjoy playing 'pin the Colorado on the United States'? :D

Indeed. :D The beauty is the title is pretty generic, so it can go anywhere. Same with "Montana".

No offense, but arbitrary borders don't make any sense in Far Canada. Straight lines are all right if they're not placed badly, but squiggles somebody drew on a map... ugh.

Fixed it. :)

sourceNA 2.png

sourceNA 2.png

Dakota
Basically The Dakota Territory does not split into North and South.

Houston
One of the five states to join the Union when The Republic of Texas was annexed. Named after Sam Houston.

Rio Grande
One of the five states to join the Union when The Republic of Texas was annexed. Named after The Rio Grande River

Crockett
One of the five states to join the Union when The Republic of Texas was annexed. Named after Texas Revolutionary David Crockett.

Texas
One of the five states to join the Union when The Republic of Texas was annexed. The official successor state of The Republic of Texas.

Oklahoma
One of the five states to join the Union when The Republic of Texas was annexed. Half of The Indian Territory opted to join the state instead of forming a new one.

Seuoyah
Native American State created from The Indian Territory

South (Baja) CaliforniaJoined California during The Bear FLag Revolt/Revolution. When The California Republic joined The Union it was split between North California and South California.

Superior
Formed from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Named after Lake Superior.

Puerto Rico
Admited into The Union around the same time as Hawaii and Alaska.

Cuba
Bacame The Cuban Territory after the Spanish-American War. Admitted into The Union during Theodore Roosevelt's presidency.

Long Island
Seceded from New York State in the 1980s due to a dispute about State Taxation.

Quebec
One of reythe Fifteen Original Colonies. Joind The Revolution after Benedict Arnold succefully invaded The Canadian Colonies.

Canada
One of the Fifteen Original Colonies. Joind The Revolution after Benedict Arnold succefully invaded The Canadian Colonies.

Panama (Canal)
Joined the Union in 1979 from The Panama Canal Zone. Often seen as the "Misfit State" due to it's distance from the rest of the nation, small size and population.

Lawrence
Area given to the USA after The Revolution, due to the Treaty of Paris. Named after The Saint Lawrence River/Bay. In the 1970s the name Saint Lawrence was changed to Lawrence, after a massive petition stating that the name violated Seperation of Church and State.

Cascadia
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after the Cascadia Mountains.

Vancouver (Island)
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after George Vancouver, who discovered the Island in the Eighteenth Century.

Washington
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after General (later President) George Washington.

Lewis
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after Meriwether Lewis, Co-Leader of Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Clark
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory. Named after William Clark, Co-Leader of Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Oregon
One of the six states formed from the Lewis-Clark territory.

Alaska
Bought from The Russian Empire in 1876. Territory expanded into The Northern Territory.

Nanavut
One of the two states to be formed from The Northern Territory. The second state (After Seuoyah) to be given Native American Rule. Named after the Inuit word for "Our Home Land".

Yukon
One of the two states to be formed from The Northern territory. Named after the Yukon River, which itself is named after the Gwich’in word for "Great River".

Montana
((Nothing much here. Just extended territory into what is OTL Canada)).

Jefferson
Named after President Thomas Jefferson.

Winnipeg
Named after Lake Winnipeg, which is the Cree name for the lake that translate into "Muddy Waters".

Arnold
Named after General (later President) Benedict Arnold, whose military leadership allowed Canada and Quebec to join The Union.

Hudson
Named after The Hudson Bay, which itself is named after it's discoverer, Henry Hudson.

Columbia
Named after Christopher Columbus. There has been much controversy over the name in resent years, due to Columbus' actions against native Americans. However no new name has been officially suggested to The State Congress.

Giving the political climate, I'm going to cut two new states out of Texas: the states of Denial and Hostility.

newenglandv.jpg

Here's some alternates I came with based on defunct early colonies:

1. Plymouth - If it hadn't been absorbed into Massachusetts Bay.
2. East Jersey - If it hadn't merged into New Jersey
3. West Jersey - See above.
4. New Haven - Less likely... If the New Haven colony expanded a bit and wasn't absorbed into Connecticut.
5. Westmoreland - A self-proclaimed state in the Connecticut western claims around the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. More likely to come about if there's no New Haven state, obviously.

Maybe something could be carved out of upstate New York, too? I know Massachusetts had an early claim on Western New York, but it wasn't very strong and there wasn't a settler presence. There's also the Iroquois, of course...

Last edited:
I can see Plymouth, but this West-East divide in New Joy-zee? I had a State of Iriqouis in my An Alternate History of the Netherlands.

North America 1950.png

With a PoD going back to the formation of Mormonism, I present the Mormonwank state of Deseret. Or as I like to call it, the Duchy of Mormandy.

Deseret.PNG