Mixed Nutz: The Timeline Where MGM and Warner Bros. Are the Main Rivals of the American Animation Industry

More ideas:
  1. Screen Gems could take over the Popeye license and become King Feature’s new animation partner.
  2. Paramount can continue to make cartoons based on DC Superheroes.
  3. Screen Gems could revive Scrappy after seeing the success of Little Audrey at Paramount.

I'm guessing it's the proposed Aladdin feature from OTL.

And one suggestion is for Screwy Squirrel to get more shorts.
It's the Aladdin feature alright. Although I haven't decided if Lantz will release it during or after the war (the latter option would probably be more profitable, but if Lantz releases it in 1944, he won't face competition from other animated films). I might also have Fleischer (now Famous) Studios do another animated feature within the 1944-1946 timeframe - I've noticed that them doing a Superman movie is a notably recurrent idea, but I also haven't decided if their Superman cartoons are ceased after 1943 like IOTL or if they'll go on for a while longer (regardless, I do already have plans in place for Paramount to drop the Superman license before the 1950s).

Also, given that neither of these two films will be package deals, I'm not sure how Disney's upcoming package feature will fare at the box office ITTL. Will it be another box-office flop for the company, or will it at least manage to break even? Maybe it'll even be the success that they're looking for?

As for Screwy, he'll still meet the same fate in his short theatrical run as IOTL, but he will make a comeback of some kind in the 90s. What kind of comeback that'll be, I haven't fully decided on yet.

Last edited:
1944-1947: The End of One War, The Beginning of Another
Things were not looking good for Disney at this point. It was bad enough that they had to scale down from their "true" feature films to package films in order to make ends meet - that alone would have been a blow to Walt's pride as a filmmaker, sure, but his entrepreneur side said that this had to be done in order to make sure the studio survived during the war, and he could've at least taken comfort in knowing that, package or not, his studio was the only one that was still actually producing animated features... except that wasn't the case at all.

Walter Lantz and his studio had released their own venture into the animated film market, Aladdin and His Lamp, in 1944 to much acclaim and financial success, no doubt helped by the established star power of its leading actors - Abbott and Costello. With the duo providing their comedic touch to the Arabian Nights tale, the film proved that pure comedies were just as viable a genre for animated features as the dramedies that Disney and the-studio-formerly-known-as-Fleischer had produced. Speaking of the latter, Famous Studios decided to conclude their run on the Superman series with a bang, or rather, a feature film - Superman premiered in the summer of 1945 and would feature the Man of Steel taking the Axis Powers head-on (and winning, of course), no doubt resonating with Americans who were certain that the Allies' victory over the Axis Powers in World War II was near (and indeed it was - not long after this movie dropped, Japan would officially surrender to the United States, bringing the Second World War to a close).

To make matters worse, neither of these movies were a package deal, making Disney's The Three Caballeros look pathetic in comparison (though it still managed to break even, for all that's worth). Thus, Disney had to make a choice: either continue with the financially secure but artistically lacking package films or take a gamble by producing another full-length animated feature. Walt decided to split the difference - though the studio's next feature in 1946, Make Mine Music, would be a package feature, the one following it, Mickey and the Beanstalk in 1947, would be a true feature film (as suggested by the title, it'd be a spin on Jack and the Beanstalk featuring the iconic Disney trio of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy), with Walt himself taking over as director to ensure its success. This calculated risk ends up paying off, with both movies turning a profit at the box office and setting Disney back on the path to success... for now, anyway.

Meanwhile with MGM, Tom and Jerry have been on a hot streak with Academy Award wins, managing to claim the 17th and 18th Best Animated Short Subject awards for the cartoons Mouse Trouble and Quiet, Please!, respectively. This was bad news for Warner Bros. Animation - since they currently didn't have any animated features in the works, they had to rely on the acclaim of their short subjects - and if they kept falling short at the most renowned film award ceremony in America, what does that say about them? Things came to a head with MGM at the 19th Academy Awards, where both studios submitted shorts with very similar premises - one of their film's stars trying to perform Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in front of a live audience, only to be constantly impeded by a troublemaking mouse residing within the piano they were using (The Cat Concerto featuring Tom and Jerry for MGM, Rhapsody Rabbit featuring Bugs Bunny and an unnamed mouse for Warner Bros.) - naturally, both studios were quick to accuse each other of plagiarism. Much to the dismay of Warner Bros., the Academy Award committee ruled in favor of MGM, and The Cat Concerto would go on to net the cat-and-mouse duo their fourth Academy Award in a row (naturally beating out the short that Warner Bros. did manage to get nominated, Walky Talky Hawky, in the process). The staff at Termite Terrace needed something that could beat MGM, and they needed it soon.

Enter veteran animation director Isadore "Friz" Freleng. Already renowned at Warner Bros. for his creation of Porky Pig (the studio's 3rd mascot, and a mainstay of the Looney Tunes cast even well after Bugs Bunny had supplanted him in the mascot role), Freleng would end up being the one to come up with the solution to halting Tom and Jerry's winning streak - namely, by using their own chase formula, but with a Warner Bros. spin. To that end, he employed the Tweety character created by Bob Clampett (who had left Warner Bros. in 1945, with animator Art Davis taking over his unit - though, enough of Clampett's finished cartoon storyboards were left over that the last Warner Bros. cartoon he directed, The Big Sleep, aired late into 1946), but with some changes - not only did Tweety now have a full coat of yellow feathers rather than a lack thereof, but he also lost most of the overt maliciousness (key word being overt) that the Clampett version of the character had. This wasn't the only time Freleng edged a Looney Tunes mainstay toward a more heroic (or at least sympathetic) position - in the 1945 short Hare Trigger he introduced the short-tempered (and short-statured) outlaw Yosemite Sam as a more antagonistic replacement to the dopey Elmer Fudd as Bugs Bunny's main recurring adversary, having felt that Bugs came off as too unsympathetic when squaring off against the relatively harmless Elmer.

For the Tom analogue, Freleng went with another character that he introduced in 1945 - a neurotic black-and-white cat with a red nose and a noticeable lisp, introduced in the short Life With Feathers. In the first short pairing him with Tweety, he was even named Thomas - though, likely realizing that keeping that name would've made the copying/riffing of the Tom and Jerry formula too obvious, Freleng would quickly settle on the permanent name of Sylvester for the cat. It should be noted that, while his conflicts with Tweety would be the most notable use of the character, Sylvester would quickly prove to be one of the most versatile members of the Looney Tunes cast, with him filling a variety of roles (both as protagonist and antagonist) throughout his tenure in the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies theatrical shorts, with each of the major directors at Termite Terrace having used him at least once (even Clampett prior to his departure, in the 1946 short Kitty Kornered alongside Porky Pig). To give an example, here are two of Sylvester's most notable non-Tweety outings from 1948: Back Alley Op-Roar (directed by Friz Freleng), in which he annoys a sleeping Elmer Fudd with a fence-top concerto, and Scaredy Cat (directed by Chuck Jones), in which he protects a hapless Porky Pig from a cult of murderous mice.

On May 3rd, 1947, the first Sylvester and Tweety cartoon (and the fourth overall appearance for both characters), Tweety Pie, was premiered.

On March 20th, 1948, at the 20th Academy Awards ceremony, that same cartoon was awarded the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject, beating out Tom and Jerry's entry for that year (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse) and ending the cat-and-mouse duo's winning streak.
--------------------------------------------------------

We've got another multiple-years-in-one situation here, folks. I do worry that I may be going a bit too fast - I'm trying to skim past parts where there aren't any divergences (if I don't mention something, then it's most likely the same as OTL) or that don't play a part in the Warner Bros. vs. MGM narrative (and even then, I've mainly restricted myself to their animated output so far). I also wonder if maybe it was a mistake to sort these entries by year; I was trying to emulate King Krazy's timeline, but while he covered every major debut and event in American movies (both animated and live-action), TV shows (same), comics, and (as of his most recent entries) video games, I'm primarily focusing on the major events that connect to my timeline's narrative, including any divergences that are important enough to facilitate those events. Though, even if I do decide to stop directly sorting the entries by year, they'll still be in roughly chronological order (though I will backtrack to previous years if I need to cover information that I'd previously skimmed over).

Just to clarify, the Superman shorts created by Fleischer/Famous still end at about the same time they do IOTL (possibly a bit later, with about 3-5 more shorts), but ITTL it's because they've decided to switch gears from just short subjects to a full-on feature film, and relocated the budget planned for the next batch of Superman shorts toward the film instead.

Disney's Song of the South is butterflied ITTL... at least as an individual movie. They instead do a series of animated shorts based on the tales of Brer Rabbit.

Oh, and Terrytoons still exists. That's literally all I've got to say about them... for now, at least.

Up next, Chuck Jones finally reaches the point in his career where he doesn't want to burn the negatives of the animated shorts he's created! And he's about to show the world exactly what he thinks of the chase cartoon formula that Tom and Jerry popularized...

To make matters worse, neither of these movies were a package deal, making Disney's The Three Caballeros look pathetic in comparison (though it still managed to break even, for all that's worth). Thus, Disney had to make a choice: either continue with the financially secure but artistically lacking package films or take a gamble by producing another full-length animated feature. Walt decided to split the difference - though the studio's next feature in 1946, Make Mine Music, would be a package feature, the one following it, Mickey and the Beanstalk in 1947, would be a true feature film (as suggested by the title, it'd be a spin on Jack and the Beanstalk featuring the iconic Disney trio of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy), with Walt himself taking over as director to ensure its success. This calculated risk ends up paying off, with both movies turning a profit at the box office and setting Disney back on the path to success... for now, anyway.
Since "Mickey and the beanstalk" is its own feature length film, I wonder if Ichabod and Mr Toad will be released seperately as feature films

Up next, Chuck Jones finally reaches the point in his career where he doesn't want to burn the negatives of the animated shorts he's created! And he's about to show the world exactly what he thinks of the chase cartoon formula that Tom and Jerry popularized...
Road Runner and Wile E Coyote?

Since "Mickey and the beanstalk" is its own feature length film, I wonder if Ichabod and Mr Toad will be released seperately as feature films
They will be released separately, though I'm considering making one of them a partial package feature.
Road Runner and Wile E Coyote?
Who else?
Are there more Superman shorts or movies after this? Or other animated DC Comics stuff from Famous?
Unfortunately, not from Famous - they've decided to drop the Superman license and focus on their other comic adaptation shorts (Popeye and Little Lulu), as well as coming up with some more characters of their own (the first short starring Casper the Friendly Ghost premiered in 1945, just like OTL). Come the 60s, though, another film studio will obtain the license for all of DC's comic characters (and DC Comics as a whole, for that matter), and they're going to make the most of it (Paramount/Famous Studios will also have a comic publisher that they'll merge with - if you know the animation history behind the characters involved, you should be able to figure it out).
Also, is there a DM for this story I can join?
I'll invite you in.

With the United States now fully involved in World War II, it was naturally expected that their animated characters would follow suit. Thus, new cartoons were produced featuring the likes of Popeye, Donald Duck, and Bugs Bunny duking it out with the Axis Powers.

The top talent at Termite Terrace would be tasked with turning out training films for the troops. Thus was born the Private Snafu (acronym for Situation Normal, All Fouled Up) series of cartoons, in which the titular private demonstrates what not to do when serving in the U.S. military (often getting killed as a result of his ineptitude). Not that their main brand of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies produced during this time were anything to sneeze at, either - in particular, director Charles "Chuck" Jones had finally joined the rest of his colleagues in breaking away from the Disney style of directing cartoons and had brought his own innovations to the wacky cartoon world at Warner Bros. with cartoons such as The Draft Horse and The Dover Boys at Pimento University. Meanwhile, Bob Clampett brought his A-game to the table during this time, with his most notable contribution being the introduction of Tweety in the cartoon A Tale of Two Kitties. This seemingly harmless little bird would go on to not only have the most longevity out of all the Looney Tunes characters created by Clampett, but also play a key role in Warner Bros. securing a major victory over MGM a few years down the line.

Speaking of MGM, Tex Avery had come in swinging with the Academy Award-nominated short The Blitz Wolf, a World War II propaganda take on the tale of The Three Little Pigs. It wouldn't even be his most notable spin on a classic fairy tale at MGM - that honor would go to 1943's Red Hot Riding Hood, a Hollywood-style sendup of Little Red Riding Hood that featured Red herself as an attractive nightclub singer. The wolf character from both shorts would go on to serve a number of antagonistic roles in several of Avery's MGM cartoons, often being paired up against another of Avery's recurring MGM characters - a melancholic yet incredibly competent basset hound by the name of Droopy (introduced in the 1943 short Dumb-Hounded). Between these and several other successful cartoons down the line, it was clear that MGM's decision to hire Avery was paying off - which was fortunate, as another of the studio's veteran animators, Rudolf Ising, would leave the company after being drafted to fight in the war.

Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera, meanwhile, were continuing to refine the Tom and Jerry formula, producing several of their most noteworthy shorts during this period - one of which, The Yankee Doodle Mouse, would net the first of many Academy Awards for the cat-and-mouse duo. Though, much to the frustration of Bill and Joe, they wouldn’t be the ones to claim those awards - that honor was given to the producer of the cartoons, in this case Fred Quimby, who to add insult to injury would not even thank or credit the duo for their work when accepting the awards.

Disney is… well, surviving, at least. The war had already more-or-less closed off overseas market for his feature films even before the US got fully involved in it (a major factor in his 1940 pictures bombing at the box office), and now that the US was involved it was bleeding them domestically as well, as evidenced by his next feature (an adaptation of Felix Stalen’s novel Bambi, regarded by Walt as his personal favorite of the films his studio had produced) being another financial failure despite positive critical reception. The studio was able to make ends meet despite the employee exodus and film financial failures by producing wartime propaganda pictures (one of which, Der Fuehrer's Face, managed to claim another Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject for Disney - their last one for a long while) and “package” feature films that showcased a selection of animated shorts connected via a framing device. The first of these efforts, the 1943 film Saludos Amigos, was originally intended as a series of 12 shorts meant to promote goodwill between the US and South America, but four of those shorts were instead linked with live-action footage from Disney’s own goodwill tour to South America (both real and faked) to form the “movie” because Disney felt that it’d be more marketable that way (four more of these shorts would be subject to a similar approach for the studio's next package feature, The Three Caballeros, in 1945).

Fleischer Studios seems to be doing alright on the surface - the Superman cartoons are still astounding audiences with their impressive animation, while Popeye adapted quite well into the wartime propaganda pictures as a member of the US Navy, a position that he would maintain for the remainder of his theatrical cartoon tenure. Behind the scenes, though, things were far from smooth sailing, as the Fleischer brothers were at odds with each other over, among other issues, what direction they wanted the studio's creative efforts to go in (Dave was particularly livid about Max's desire to end the Popeye series after the license from King Features ran out, despite Popeye being the studio's primary moneymaker). This would culminate in Dave Fleischer resigning from the studio in 1942 to sign a deal with Columbia Pictures to make cartoons for their animation unit Screen Gems, leaving his brother Max with his stake in the studio. Paramount, who'd been hoping to claim full control over Fleischer Studios, saw this as their moment to strike, and tried to pressure Max into resigning, even using his son-in-law Seymour Kneitel's position as creative head of the studio in an attempt to blackmail him. Eventually in the summer of 1943, an agreement was reached - the studio would become a full subsidiary of Paramount, but Max would retain creative control over the studio's output (the exception being that Paramount would decide whether or not to renew their licensed properties - which, unsurprisingly, they already did in the case of Popeye), and none of the staff would be fired (for now). To cement this shift in control over the studio, both parties agreed to a rebrand - and thus, what was once Fleischer Studios became Famous Studios.

Lastly, there’s one other animation studio that’s flown under the radar so far - Walter Lantz Studios (named after the founding animation director), at the service of Universal Productions. Lantz had recently found success back in 1941 (if not to the same extent as his contemporaries) with the studio's latest star - the screwball Woody Woodpecker, who quickly displaced the studio's former mascot Andy Panda. Yet now that Disney and Fleischer had proven that animated films were a viable source of revenue and were in a turbulent period that left them vulnerable, Lantz felt that the time was right to make his own move in the animated feature film business. And he had just the right idea in mind for his feature debut - a comedic take on the story of Aladdin, featuring the famous comedic duo Bud Abbott and Lou Costello.

I decided to cover 1942 and 1943 together because there really isn't anything that's too radically different ITTL in the field of animation in either of these years, and the major events from OTL in the field of animation that happened in those years tend to bleed into one another (hence why I also decided to address The Three Caballeros here, as it was part of the same "animated shorts turned package film to increase marketability" deal that Saludos Amigos was). The major divergence so far is that Paramount's absorption of Fleischer Studios (and subsequent rebrand into Famous Studios) happens under slightly different circumstances - namely, Dave leaves the studio immediately after signing a deal to make cartoons at Columbia rather than trying to work at both studios behind Paramount’s back, while Max and many of the other Fleischer employees who were fired IOTL during the rebrand get to stay on board provided that they agree with said rebrand. Also, it happens a year later than OTL. If anyone has some IRL facts about the history behind the Fleischer-to-Famous rebrand that would complicate or contradict my take on the events (keeping in mind the divergences already made regarding the success of Gulliver and Mr. Bug ITTL), I'd be happy to revise them in turn!

Next up, Walter Lantz steps up to the plate with his Abbott and Costello animated feature. Will it be a home run, or will Lantz strike out? I don't know! ("Third base!")
I wish the best for them.
More ideas:
  1. Screen Gems could take over the Popeye license and become King Feature’s new animation partner.
  2. Paramount can continue to make cartoons based on DC Superheroes.
  3. Screen Gems could revive Scrappy after seeing the success of Little Audrey at Paramount.
Right.
It's the Aladdin feature alright. Although I haven't decided if Lantz will release it during or after the war (the latter option would probably be more profitable, but if Lantz releases it in 1944, he won't face competition from other animated films). I might also have Fleischer (now Famous) Studios do another animated feature within the 1944-1946 timeframe - I've noticed that them doing a Superman movie is a notably recurrent idea, but I also haven't decided if their Superman cartoons are ceased after 1943 like IOTL or if they'll go on for a while longer (regardless, I do already have plans in place for Paramount to drop the Superman license before the 1950s).

Also, given that neither of these two films will be package deals, I'm not sure how Disney's upcoming package feature will fare at the box office ITTL. Will it be another box-office flop for the company, or will it at least manage to break even? Maybe it'll even be the success that they're looking for?

As for Screwy, he'll still meet the same fate in his short theatrical run as IOTL, but he will make a comeback of some kind in the 90s. What kind of comeback that'll be, I haven't fully decided on yet.
Cool, but I think it would be a LOT more beneficial if Paramount was to just acquire DC Comics.
Things were not looking good for Disney at this point. It was bad enough that they had to scale down from their "true" feature films to package films in order to make ends meet - that alone would have been a blow to Walt's pride as a filmmaker, sure, but his entrepreneur side said that this had to be done in order to make sure the studio survived during the war, and he could've at least taken comfort in knowing that, package or not, his studio was the only one that was still actually producing animated features... except that wasn't the case at all.
Ouch...
Walter Lantz and his studio had released their own venture into the animated film market, Aladdin and His Lamp, in 1944 to much acclaim and financial success, no doubt helped by the established star power of its leading actors - Abbott and Costello. With the duo providing their comedic touch to the Arabian Nights tale, the film proved that pure comedies were just as viable a genre for animated features as the dramedies that Disney and the-studio-formerly-known-as-Fleischer had produced. Speaking of the latter, Famous Studios decided to conclude their run on the Superman series with a bang, or rather, a feature film - Superman premiered in the summer of 1945 and would feature the Man of Steel taking the Axis Powers head-on (and winning, of course), no doubt resonating with Americans who were certain that the Allies' victory over the Axis Powers in World War II was near (and indeed it was - not long after this movie dropped, Japan would officially surrender to the United States, bringing the Second World War to a close).
Cool! Also, how good and successful would the Superman movie be?
Damn...
Meanwhile with MGM, Tom and Jerry have been on a hot streak with Academy Award wins, managing to claim the 17th and 18th Best Animated Short Subject awards for the cartoons Mouse Trouble and Quiet, Please!, respectively. This was bad news for Warner Bros. Animation - since they currently didn't have any animated features in the works, they had to rely on the acclaim of their short subjects - and if they kept falling short at the most renowned film award ceremony in America, what does that say about them? Things came to a head with MGM at the 19th Academy Awards, where both studios submitted shorts with very similar premises - one of their film's stars trying to perform Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in front of a live audience, only to be constantly impeded by a troublemaking mouse residing within the piano they were using (The Cat Concerto featuring Tom and Jerry for MGM, Rhapsody Rabbit featuring Bugs Bunny and an unnamed mouse for Warner Bros.) - naturally, both studios were quick to accuse each other of plagiarism. Much to the dismay of Warner Bros., the Academy Award committee ruled in favor of MGM, and The Cat Concerto would go on to net the cat-and-mouse duo their fourth Academy Award in a row (naturally beating out the short that Warner Bros. did manage to get nominated, Walky Talky Hawky, in the process). The staff at Termite Terrace needed something that could beat MGM, and they needed it soon.

Enter veteran animation director Isadore "Friz" Freleng. Already renowned at Warner Bros. for his creation of Porky Pig (the studio's 3rd mascot, and a mainstay of the Looney Tunes cast even well after Bugs Bunny had supplanted him in the mascot role), Freleng would end up being the one to come up with the solution to halting Tom and Jerry's winning streak - namely, by using their own chase formula, but with a Warner Bros. spin. To that end, he employed the Tweety character created by Bob Clampett (who had left Warner Bros. in 1945, with animator Art Davis taking over his unit - though, enough of Clampett's finished cartoon storyboards were left over that the last Warner Bros. cartoon he directed, The Big Sleep, aired late into 1946), but with some changes - not only did Tweety now have a full coat of yellow feathers rather than a lack thereof, but he also lost most of the overt maliciousness (key word being overt) that the Clampett version of the character had. This wasn't the only time Freleng edged a Looney Tunes mainstay toward a more heroic (or at least sympathetic) position - in the 1945 short Hare Trigger he introduced the short-tempered (and short-statured) outlaw Yosemite Sam as a more antagonistic replacement to the dopey Elmer Fudd as Bugs Bunny's main recurring adversary, having felt that Bugs came off as too unsympathetic when squaring off against the relatively harmless Elmer.

For the Tom analogue, Freleng went with another character that he introduced in 1945 - a neurotic black-and-white cat with a red nose and a noticeable lisp, introduced in the short Life With Feathers. In the first short pairing him with Tweety, he was even named Thomas - though, likely realizing that keeping that name would've made the copying/riffing of the Tom and Jerry formula too obvious, Freleng would quickly settle on the permanent name of Sylvester for the cat. It should be noted that, while his conflicts with Tweety would be the most notable use of the character, Sylvester would quickly prove to be one of the most versatile members of the Looney Tunes cast, with him filling a variety of roles (both as protagonist and antagonist) throughout his tenure in the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies theatrical shorts, with each of the major directors at Termite Terrace having used him at least once (even Clampett prior to his departure, in the 1946 short Kitty Kornered alongside Porky Pig). To give an example, here are two of Sylvester's most notable non-Tweety outings from 1948: Back Alley Op-Roar (directed by Friz Freleng), in which he annoys a sleeping Elmer Fudd with a fence-top concerto, and Scaredy Cat (directed by Chuck Jones), in which he protects a hapless Porky Pig from a cult of murderous mice.

On May 3rd, 1947, the first Sylvester and Tweety cartoon (and the fourth overall appearance for both characters), Tweety Pie, was premiered.

On March 20th, 1948, at the 20th Academy Awards ceremony, that same cartoon was awarded the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject, beating out Tom and Jerry's entry for that year (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse) and ending the cat-and-mouse duo's winning streak.

We've got another multiple-years-in-one situation here, folks. I do worry that I may be going a bit too fast - I'm trying to skim past parts where there aren't any divergences (if I don't mention something, then it's most likely the same as OTL) or that don't play a part in the Warner Bros. vs. MGM narrative (and even then, I've mainly restricted myself to their animated output so far). I also wonder if maybe it was a mistake to sort these entries by year; I was trying to emulate King Krazy's timeline, but while he covered every major debut and event in American movies (both animated and live-action), TV shows (same), comics, and (as of his most recent entries) video games, I'm primarily focusing on the major events that connect to my timeline's narrative, including any divergences that are important enough to facilitate those events. Though, even if I do decide to stop directly sorting the entries by year, they'll still be in roughly chronological order (though I will backtrack to previous years if I need to cover information that I'd previously skimmed over).

Just to clarify, the Superman shorts created by Fleischer/Famous still end at about the same time they do IOTL (possibly a bit later, with about 3-5 more shorts), but ITTL it's because they've decided to switch gears from just short subjects to a full-on feature film, and relocated the budget planned for the next batch of Superman shorts toward the film instead.

Disney's Song of the South is butterflied ITTL... at least as an individual movie. They instead do a series of animated shorts based on the tales of Brer Rabbit.

Oh, and Terrytoons still exists. That's literally all I've got to say about them... for now, at least.

Good.
Unfortunately, not from Famous - they've decided to drop the Superman license and focus on their other comic adaptation shorts (Popeye and Little Lulu), as well as coming up with some more characters of their own (the first short starring Casper the Friendly Ghost premiered in 1945, just like OTL). Come the 60s, though, another film studio will obtain the license for all of DC's comic characters (and DC Comics as a whole, for that matter), and they're going to make the most of it (Paramount/Famous Studios will also have a comic publisher that they'll merge with - if you know the animation history behind the characters involved, you should be able to figure it out).
Oh. Will they get King Features and Harvey Comics?
Also, is there a DM for this story I can join?
Yes.

1948-1950: Bob Clampett of Mars, Walter Lantz's Adventures in Wonderland, and Chuck Jones' "Chase" Cartoons
The 1940s was probably the best decade in the history of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies for the introduction of new characters (with the 50s being a close second). Given that the mascot of the entire Looney Tunes franchise made his (official) debut midway through the beginning of the decade, this doesn't come off as too much of a surprise.

So as the decade began with the introduction of one of the most iconic members of the Looney Tunes cast, so too would it end with one. This introduction would come courtesy of Chuck Jones, who decided to do his own satirical take on the "chase" cartoon formula that MGM popularized with Tom and Jerry (which he had a rather low opinion on). The resulting cartoon, Fast and Furry-ous, premiered in 1949, and tells a tale of predator and prey - in this case a coyote (Carnivorus vulgaris) and a roadrunner (Accelerati incredibus). The coyote makes numerous attempts to catch (and subsequently eat) the roadrunner, only for everything - from the roadrunner's comically exaggerated speed to the various products and devices the coyote purchases from ACME (acronym for American Company Makes Everything) to the laws of reality and physics themselves - to work against him, resulting in the coyote getting comically injured, only for him to get back up and keep trying to catch the roadrunner. Much like Tom and Jerry, it was originally planned as a one-shot (this time by the director's own choice), but the immensely positive reception from audiences led to it getting upgraded to a full series. Unlike Tom and Jerry, however, the Coyote and Roadrunner shorts were notably minimalistic - no characters other than the predator-and-prey duo, no setting other than the southwestern US desert, no plot variation outside of what was already established in the very first short (unless you count the variety of ACME products that the Coyote uses as well as the various other methods he employs to catch the Roadrunner), not even any spoken lines or dialogue outside of the Roadrunner's signature Beep Beep! noise (contrary to popular belief, Tom and Jerry have had speaking lines in some of their cartoons, even if it was an infrequent occurrence). And while Tom has managed to score a victory against Jerry on quite a few occasions (usually when the mouse starts the feud or pushes his luck too far), the Coyote was doomed to never be able to catch the Roadrunner - and also to never get the hint and try some other, presumably less dangerous way to obtain food (Chuck Jones would frequently describe the Coyote using George Santayana's definition of the word fanatic - "someone who redoubles his efforts when he has forgotten his aim").

Okay, those parts about the Coyote never speaking or trying to go after prey other than the Roadrunner aren't entirely true - there were a few shorts in which he served as an adversary for Bugs Bunny, and in those he was a self-proclaimed "super genius" with a refined voice and an over-inflated ego (naturally, he has as much success going up against Bugs as he does against the Roadrunner - that is, none). The first of these (Operation: Rabbit in 1952) would also provide him with an official name - Wile E. Coyote.

The Coyote and Roadrunner wouldn't be the only case of Jones turning one of his one-shot chase cartoons into a full series, however. Earlier in 1945, he directed the cartoon Odor-able Kitty, which featured an amorous skunk with a French accent trying to woo a female skunk - or rather, what he thinks is a female skunk (it's actually just a cat painted to look like a skunk). In this case, what motivated Jones to keep using the skunk character wasn't audience popularity, but spite - Warner Bros. Animation's current producer at the time, Eddie Selzer, wasn't a fan of the concept and ordered that no more cartoons featuring the character be produced. Never one to be told how to make cartoons (and well aware that the cartoons made at Termite Terrace would be approved regardless of Selzer's objections - when Friz Freleng threatened to quit over Selzer's attempt to veto the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons, Selzer quickly backed down, not wanting to lose his studio's talent over his own personal opinions regarding their output), Jones decided to upgrade the romantic skunk - now dubbed Pepé Le Pew - from a one-shot to a series regular. In total, 17 cartoons featuring Pepé were produced in the original run of theatrical Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons - the fourth of which (For Scent-imental Reasons, released in 1949 and generally considered to be the cartoon that properly nailed down the Pepé Le Pew formula) managed to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject at the 22nd Academy Awards, netting Warner Bros. another victory over MGM (who still won the previous year's Best Animated Short Subject award for the Tom and Jerry short The Little Orphan).

Not that MGM was too concerned about this loss - they still had plenty of other chances for another win in future Academy Award ceremonies, not only with the proven success of Hanna and Barbera's Tom and Jerry shorts but also the wild and wacky cartoons of Tex Avery. They wouldn't be the only ones employing the help of a former Warner Bros. animation director, however - Columbia had hired Bob Clampett not long after the latter had left Warner Bros. in order to direct cartoons for their Screen Gems brand. While his work on Columbia's comedy series such as Color Rhapsody and The Fox and The Crow were exactly the sort of surrealist humor one would expect from Clampett (revitalizing these series in the process), the veteran animator decided he was in the mood for a change of pace - specifically, a chance to adapt the John Carter of Mars series of science fiction novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs into the world of animation (he'd actually had this idea in mind since the early 1930s, even having made test footage of the idea). As it happened, Columbia was looking to make their entry into the field of animated feature films and, once Clampett made the suggestion, figured that a sci-fi epic would help them stand out from the crowd. As a test run to see if Clampett was the right fit for a more serious, action-oriented cartoon, Columbia had him do a pair of animated Superman serials in 1947 (they had gotten the film rights to National Comics' superheroes, including Superman once Paramount dropped their license to the Man of Steel, as part of a licensing deal that would also see NC produce comics based on Screen Gems' cast of cartoon characters) - when reception to those serials turned out positive (with the second one, Atom Man vs. Superman, even getting an Academy Award nomination), they bought the film rights to John Carter and gave the greenlight to Clampett's project. John Carter of Mars (adapting A Princess of Mars, the first book in the series) would make its theatrical debut in the winter of 1949 - just a few months before Burroughs passed away. A later reissue of the film would add a dedication to him.

Besides their main Screen Gems cartoon studio, Columbia also signed a deal with UPA in 1948 that would see the latter studio's experimental one-shot animations distributed by Columbia (though they would also have one recurring series of theatrical cartoons, featuring a stubborn and nearsighted old man by the name of Mr. Magoo). UPA's shorts distinguished themselves from their contemporaries by their minimalist style, utilizing simplified character designs and abstract backgrounds in order to break animation down to its bare essentials, to great artistic effect. One of their cartoons, Gerald McBoing-Boing (a 1950 short about a boy who can only speak in sound effects, adapted from an audio record by children's book author Theodor "Dr." Seuss Geisel), even managed to win the 23rd Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject, beating out both Warner Bros. and MGM.

On Disney's side of things, their strategy of alternating between package films and true features was paying off, with 1948's Fun and Fancy Free and 1949's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow managing to turn enough of a profit to bring the studio back to the brink of its former glory, and Walt felt that it was finally time for another ambitious animated feature film. In fact, he already had three of them in the works - Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, and Peter Pan. Originally of the three, Alice had been slated to release first, as it had been in development the longest (as in, since the early 30s, before even Snow White!), but those plans were dashed when Walter Lantz released his feature-length animated take on the Lewis Carroll novel and its sequel in 1948, titled The Adventures of Alice. Realizing that Disney'd be seen as copying off of Lantz if their Alice feature released as intended (and also, on further thought, deciding that the original Alice in Wonderland story didn't have enough of an actual plot to be a good fit for a proper feature film anyway - Lantz's adaptation got around this issue by being essentially an extensive series of comedic gags based on the events and characters of the original Alice novels, which to Walt only served to reinforce said decision), Walt decided to convert the already finished Alice footage into a series of short films and instead have Cinderella slated for a 1950 release as his studio's big comeback feature (with Peter Pan to follow a few years later). This worked like a charm - Cinderella proved to be a huge hit both critically and at the box office, and while the Alice shorts did face some negative criticism (both the expected "riding off of Lantz's coattails" accusations and the fact that there were some obvious tells in the earlier shorts that they were originally intended as part of a feature film, though the second criticism would be addressed by later Alice shorts being designed with the animated short format in mind), they managed to gain a cult following with audiences for their surrealist imagery. Decades later, dedicated fans of the shorts, with the assistance of some animation historians and former Disney employees, would edit together the earlier Alice shorts along with cut footage, cut recordings, and pencil tests in order to recreate the Alice in Wonderland film that Walt originally intended to release - the "Wonderland" cut has since become something of a Holy Grail among animation enthusiasts.

With RKO (through Disney), Paramount (through Famous), Universal (through Lantz), and Columbia (through Screen Gems) all having released animated feature films at this point, Warner Bros. and MGM both decided that it was high time that they finally made their own...

So yeah, we're entering the 1950s now!

Regarding Columbia, Screen Gems, and UPA, what I have right now is that Screen Gems (with Dave Fleischer and/or Bob Clampett) handles the Color Rhapsody and Fox and Crow cartoons as well as the NC (later DC) comic adaptations, while UPA handles the Mr. Magoo series and the experimental one-shots like Gerald McBoing-Boing and Rooty Toot Toot (though the former did get a few follow-up cartoons, which is still the case ITTL). I may or may not merge the studios later on...

As for Alice, I'd actually been going back and forth on whether Disney should release it like IOTL, or if another studio should release the animated Alice feature (in this case, Walter Lantz Studios). In the end, I decided on a situation similar to the one with Disney's Aladdin and Richard Williams' The Thief and The Cobbler IOTL, where one film has been in development for far longer but ends up being abruptly changed due to a feature with a similar premise and setting (or in the case of Alice, the same premise and setting) but a different tone and a smoother development releasing first (I even giving Disney's Alice its own equivalent to the Recobbled Cut). It helps somewhat that Disney's Alice in Wonderland was a critical and commercial failure that Walt himself was disappointed in when it first released IOTL, only gaining a more positive reception later on.

Next up, we take a look at the development of a certain black-feathered duck, and how it will lead up to him scoring two key victories over his rabbit rival as both Warner Bros. and MGM finally make their move on the animated feature film scene...

Last edited: