The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

April 1482.
April 1482. Palace of Whitehall, England.

His mother paced about him, fanning herself desperately with a white fan. Ned rolled his eyes when she was behind him, knowing that she could not see it and sighed, scratching his brow as she continued to ramble.

Well, not ramble exactly. She was just demanding, a sign of being both a Dowager Queen and his mother, and he knew all that she said was out of love and care, but still. Ned thought that if he heard about Ceci's marriage one more time, he was sure to stick pins in his ears.

"We must be sure to send her with just as much pomp as her station demands," his mother said. "Your sister is marrying the richest lord in Europe."

"I have not forgotten," said Ned. In fact, he didn't know if he even could. His mother had spoken so often about the prestige and power of this match that he had heard little else from her since mourning ended. Ceci was expected in Nancy since December, but their father’s death delayed it. Now, the Dowager Queen of Lotharingia was back in demanding her arrival and half of her 150,000 dowry. “I swear to you, mama, everything is ready for our travel to Kent.” Where the entire family would send Ceci off to her marriage in the Low Countries.

His mother nodded, pleased. “Catherine should need some new dresses too. For the journey,” she murmured. “She will be twelve soon enough. And her marriage is next.”

“The next marriage is Dickon’s, mother,” Ned responded, shaking his head. “The young Infanta is expected next year.” His mother made a face.

“I know this match was needed to repair our friendship with Portugal, but I sometimes wonder whether we chose correctly with young Beatriz,” she murmured, stopping before the window. Sunlight streamed in, lighting up her face even under her widow’s garments. “I hear conflicting rumours about my niece’s husband.”

“What do you mean?” he asked and his mother shook her head.

“The King of Portugal is a most paranoid man, according to some gossip,” the Dowager Queen replied. “He distrusts the Duke of Viseu and his mother. A distrust that can only translate to young Beatriz and her future children.”

“Beatriz de Viseu’s children shall be English and very far away from Portugal,” Ned said. “King João cannot possibly see them as threats.”

His mother nodded. “Yes, that is what I hope,” she admitted. Her hands flicked over her cheeks, as if cleaning off tears, and she turned back to him with a soft smile. "I saw Blanche today at mass. She looked marvellous, if I do say so myself, and grows ever more beautiful as the days pass."

"If you say so," he murmured, looking away.

"Edward," his mother said sharply and he looked up. "Blanche is your lady wife and queen."

"She is a child," he responded. "Younger than Catherine even. She can't be my wife in truth until her fifteenth birthday."

His mother shook her head, biting back a French curse. She walked to him, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"That day is closer than ever," said his mother. "You must do something nice for her. Today, even. Invite her to have supper with you."

"I don't want to," Ned said stubbornly.

"Don't be a child," his mother replied. "You are the King and the occasional kindness to Blanche will spar you all sorts of trouble in the future." She walked away from him, wringing her hands together. “I’m not asking for you to love her, Edward, but Blanche is the key to bind this country. You will need her by your side or else many will remember the days of old King Henry with fondness.”

“I know that,” Ned said. He sighed, pressing his fingers against his eyes before he leaned back. “Fine, fine. Send for my page.” His mother smiled as she moved to obey him.

Ned could only hope this would work.

--

May 1482. Lisbon, Portugal.

Ana brought a cup of wine to her lips as the people danced before her. The court of Portugal, celebrating the King's birthday as they ate and drank their fill of her husband’s money. She despised all of them, their scheming behaviours and two faces, pretending to be happy before the King despite plotting behind his back.

Did they not know that this was for the best of Portugal? His centralising actions, the boats that left their harbours searching for new lands to explore in the name of greater riches and more power. Instead of spreading the faith to barbaric people who could not even read the gospels.

She placed her hand over her swollen stomach. Ana was with child again, the first time since Duarte and she could not dance because of it. As if she would even care to do so. Dancing with poor partners was as much worse than not dancing at all. And Ana knew which one she would choose.

Her eyes moved across the decorated hall and she saw as the Duke of Viseu danced with Ana de Mendonça, her heart racing as she did so. Ana brought her cup of wine closer to her mouth again, taking another sip. Ana de Mendonça had lost the weight she acquired after bearing the King’s bastard Jorge in November, just after the death of King Afonso and was beautiful again. It irked the Queen to see her, so proud and high, as if no one knew how she was a whore.

Ana turned to her ward. Young Isabel de Aragón was a pretty young girl, already twelve, and had been living in Portugal since the peace between Portugal and Castile was signed. Her red-gold hair was in a tight braid under an embroidery caul, green eyes excited as she watched the people celebrate.

“A bit of wisdom for my future daughter,” the Queen began and Isabel turned to look at her with a smile. “Men only care for a woman’s strong opinions when it is the same as theirs.” She raised her cup. “Never forget it.”

Isabel nodded and curtsied as she murmured, “Your Grace.” At that moment, a young nobleman approached to invite her to dance and Ana nodded so she would know to accept it. Isabel smiled as she went.

Ana turned back to the large throne beside her, which was empty and her eyes moved to look for her husband. João was in a darkened corner of the hall, hidden save for his golden crown and Ana would have sent for a maid to call him to her side if she did not notice the woman beside him. Pretty, dark-haired and large breasted.

Again? Ana stood up and before one of her maids could come forward to ask if she needed anything, she turned around to leave. She might be a queen and bound to her royal duties, but she did not need to bear this humiliation.

Nice to see that the marriages of Ned's siblings are in scheduele. And that with a bit of prompting he will put in the effort for Blanche.

And it seems o Principe Perfeito is at it again, shall we expect another sibling of similar birth for little Jorge de Lancastre?

Quick question @pandizzy I know this dosen’t have to do with the chapter but is Elizabeth Woodville still alive? I know she still had feelings for Edward and I was just curious how she was taking his death or if she had preceded him and it just wasn’t mentioned?

Quick question @pandizzy I know this dosen’t have to do with the chapter but is Elizabeth Woodville still alive? I know she still had feelings for Edward and I was just curious how she was taking his death or if she had preceded him and it just wasn’t mentioned?
She is still alive, but I haven't got anything planned for her after everything that already happened in phase 1. Why? Do you wanna see her?

In my head, she just sorta accepted all that happened. The fight went out on her. So she retired to her husband's lands with her children by him after Bess got married.
Oh okay! I don’t particularly want to see her, but I was briefly curious.

Let’s hope Edward keeps up his sibling’s prestigious marriages, and tries to be kind to Blanche. Ana seems a bit bitter, but then again, can you blame her?

Let’s hope Edward keeps up his sibling’s prestigious marriages, and tries to be kind to Blanche. Ana seems a bit bitter, but then again, can you blame her?
Well, Ned doesn't need to do much. All his sisters are already betrothed, so all he really needs to do is keep the peace and not rock the boat when it comes to that.

Awww it's good that Magdalena is making sure her son will at least make an effort with his marriage. I look forward to seeing how Ana deals with this newest mistress too!

Awww it's good that Magdalena is making sure her son will at least make an effort with his marriage. I look forward to seeing how Ana deals with this newest mistress too!
I think Magdalena has been playing the game for so long that she already knows what needs to be done. They can't afford to alienate the Burgundians after all.

Merry Christmas, my christian brothers and sisters. Happy holidays to all! And happy birthday to me! My dad gave me a wireless keyboard + mouse for it so expect many wireless chapters in the future.

May 1482.
May 1482. Kent, England.

It had been some years since the entire family rode out to the ports to see Magdalene off and yet Catherine remembered everything about it. She could not forget it, could not shake the thought off because it had been grand. And scary. And incredible.

The processions for the royal family had always been imposing, a great spectacle for the masses to adore, but that one seemed especially special for Catherine of York. It was good because she was not the centre of attention. She was just another Lady of England, just another princess from an enormous line of them. It was Magdalene who received the eyes of the people and the adoring calls of her name, something which she had always loved. She loved the people who looked at her, who came from their houses to see the royal procession passing through the King's roads. Her elder sister did so love to be looked at and adored, as she thought she deserved. To see the thousands of horses, more even than she could possibly count, with the King at the front wearing his finest velvets and samites. The standard bearers carrying the coat of arms of their kingdom and house, the nobles joining together to send off a daughter of England proudly and well.

Seeing Magdalene off was a grand occasion, yes, but to Catherine, the procession for Ceci was even greater, because she loved her best. Her sister was fourteen now, had been for some months, and though they had delayed her send off due to papa’s death, they could not delay it any longer. Ned--The King had told Catherine that they could not, otherwise the Burgundians would shear them naked as they did their sheep. And papa had already set everything up for Ceci’s wedding; all it needed was to see her board her ship and leave for Nancy, the capital of Lotharingia.

They had even delayed the coronation. That had puzzled her greatly. The matter seemed obvious to Catherine, even if she was not a monarch herself. A coronation was a greater event than the departure of a King’s younger sister, and much more beloved, but the King had chosen to honour Ceci first. It was a great thing, Catherine thought. Because it showed how much the King loved his sisters. Loved all of them, really.

She rode behind the King, the Queen and Ceci on her own destrier. Her heart was racing with fear, that her horse would be spooked and throw her off, or that someone would look at her, but she forced herself to be calm. Catherine was nearly thirteen now, nearly a woman grown. In some years, it would be her big triumphant journey, when she married the Danish heir and she had to be brave then. More than she was at that moment.

Especially since, the previous night, Ceci came to her bed. They had slept in a minor lordling’s castle during their journey and Catherine had to share a room with her sister, for there was no great availability of suitable apartments for them. Her sister wrapped her arms around her, Catherine’s new puppy Whitefoot whining at the end of the bed, and smiled as she whispered about the many letters they would exchange. And the little girl named Catherine de Bourgogne, one of Ceci’s future daughters, who would be Catherine of York’s goddaughter. And maybe even daughter-in-law, if the Lord saw fit to arrange that.

Catherine had laughed at that. The first time she laughed since they told her Ceci would be leaving by June, because the Lord saw first cousins as too closely related to be married and her sister was being foolish.

They slept after that, embracing each other tightly. When morning came, Ceci woke up first, and then roused her sister with a kiss on her forehead, and tickles under her arms. They laughed and Ceci said, “One day, when we are both queens of foreign countries, I don’t want us to ever forget that we were princesses of England and ladies of York first.”

Catherine didn’t want that either.

--

Château de Plessis-lez-Tours, France.

The smell of incense and oils was strong in the King’s rooms, as well as that of rotting flesh. Margaret of York kept an arm wrapped around Margot’s shoulders, holding her young daughter close as they watched Charles, François and Philippe kneel before their father’s bed.

The eldest of the King’s sons was a boy of eleven, dark-haired like his mother but much healthier than either of his parents. Philippe, the future Duke of Brittany, had recently returned from Nantes, where he lived with the Duke and his intended bride, to be with his father the King during these difficult moments. And François, Louis’ youngest child, was not even six, wide-eyed as he received his father’s final blessing.

"Be good to your mother, boys," the King said in his slurred voice, the words clinging to his lips. "Obey her every command and care for her, and Mademoiselle Marguerite." The King’s sons nodded, faces grim. Could they smell death in the air, the Queen wondered? They were children, little boys still, but they were clever. Philippe especially. He was sensitive and could feel these things as they happened. “The Lord watches over us all and He tells us to honour thy father and mother."

"Yes, Your Grace," Charles said in a serious voice. "We will, my lord."

The physicians said there was nothing to be done, except make him as comfortable as possible for when the time came. Louis had had a series of strokes over the years, confining him to his bed.

"My cousin, the Duke of Bourbon will be regent," the King continued and Pierre II de Bourbon stepped forward, squeezing His Grace’s shoulder gently. “I beg of you to care for my wife, La Reine Marguerite, as if she were your own blood. Ensure her rank is respected as if I were still alive, my cousin."

"I shall, Your Grace," said Pierre de Bourbon. "Your will shall be done."

The King nodded. His eyes blinked, his mouth opening slightly. Margaret leaned forward to watch better. He was dying and she did not want to miss a thing.

ah, france france france. This story has not been kind to you. My many many new ideas and the many times I changed my mind really made the french plotline a hot pile of shit and hopefully, Louis' death can be the beginning of me remedying that. I really am trying here, guys!!

Also, Louis died only a few months after Edward OTL and I thought it prudent to keep that idea.

Family Tree - Valois
Louis XI of France (July 1423-May 1482) m. a) Margaret Stewart (1436-1445); b) Charlotte de Savoy (1441-1469); c) Margaret of York (May 1446-)
  1. b) Louis de France (October 1458–1460)
  2. b) Joachim de France (July 1459–November 1459)
  3. b) Louise de France (born and died in 1460)
  4. b) Anne de France (April 1461−) m. a) Louis, Duke of Orléans (June 1462-August 1473); b) João, Prince of Portugal (March 1455-)
    1. Luís Afonso de Avis (May 1475-)
    2. Isabel de Avis (October 1478-1479);
    3. Duarte de Avis (December 1480-).
  5. b) Jeanne de France (April 1464–)
  6. b) Marie de France (June 1469-May 1474)
  7. c) Charles, Dauphin of France (October 1470-) b. Bianca Maria Sforza (April 1472-)
  8. c) Marguerite de France (January 1472-)
  9. c) Louis de France (February 1473-1477)
  10. c) Philippe de France (June 1474-)
  11. c) François de France (September 1476-)

Last edited:
It’s very good to see that the York girls will keep up with each other, despite their separation abroad. I hope Cecily will find happiness in Lotharingia. As for Louis, I’m kind of glad he’s going, but it would have been nice to have Margaret of York as regent.