"To Introduce our Guest Star, that's What I'm Here to Do..." The Hensonverse Fan Contribution Thread

Currently writing out the Hensonverse's The Boys, and it’s shaping out to be something special. A surprise that all of you will not see coming is the person who will be writing it.

Deleted member 165942

Kinda iffy on it since the Boys was just Garth Ennis ranting about everything he absolutely hated about the Superhero Genre, mostly dunking on each and every title he had to work on. The man's hatred of the genre is exceptional, for anything to be made that is similar to the Boys, you need someone disgruntled by the industry having the same level or similar levels of hatred Ennis had.

Currently writing out the Hensonverse's The Boys, and it’s shaping out to be something special. A surprise that all of you will not see coming is the person who will be writing it.
I mean considering that The Boys didn't come out until 2006 there are plenty of butterflies that will affect say the very title or characters aside from the writer being different as you mentioned.

Also, Garth Ennis is the only major comic book writer who hates the superhero genre aside from Pat Mills and like Haru89 you need someone else with this type of disgruntlement to even come up with something like The Boys (the comic not the show).

Last edited:

Deleted member 165942

I mean considering that The Boys didn't come out until 2006 there are plenty of butterflies that will affect say the very title or characters aside from the writer being different as you mentioned.
Exactly, and it is more or less just Garth Ennis laying out his hatred for the Superhero Genre, and no it isn't as nuance as the TV Show where it's also a deconstruction of modern society, it was just Ennis's 72 issue rant about why he hates Superhero comics, it being in the hands of a different writer is already iffy because unless they're as disgruntled as Ennis about the genre, I don't think it will be anything similar to what we know as The Boys. Also Hughie in the comics is visually based after Simon Pegg, who wouldn't appear in any form of media until 1998 and wouldn't find worldwide success until Shaun of the Dead is released in 2004 and then Mission Impossible III in 2006 (which is basically butterflied away anyways).

Can I guess who it's gonna be written by?

Cause I want to say that it's Alan Moore, and it's gonna be more like Watchmen than The Boys of our OTL.

Kinda iffy on it since the Boys was just Garth Ennis ranting about everything he absolutely hated about the Superhero Genre, mostly dunking on each and every title he had to work on. The man's hatred of the genre is exceptional, for anything to be made that is similar to the Boys, you need someone disgruntled by the industry having the same level or similar levels of hatred Ennis had.
Yeah, the OTL comic book version of The Boys is honestly pretty awful and is basically nothing like the show (other than character names and powers, the show basically ignores the comic), so I’m not sure how it work here. This video below goes into the comic if you if curious.

And if it’s not written by Garth Ennis then I can’t imagine it’d even be called the Boys or even feature the same characters. At that point you might as well just create a completely new unique super hero themed story, setting, and characters, even if there are similarities to the OTL The Boys.

Plus wouldn’t Ennis still write a version of the Boys ITTL so he can rant about why he hates superheroes and take sick pleasure in gruesomely murdering them every issue? All that means is that you then basically sort of have two versions of the Boys, one of whom probably really won’t be the Boys if it’s not written by Ennis.

Last edited:
Can I guess who it's gonna be written by?

Cause I want to say that it's Alan Moore, and it's gonna be more like Watchmen than The Boys of our OTL.
Watchmen is a different beast from The Boys because it's not an attack on the superhero genre. Instead, it's an examination of superheroes during the Cold War and how they effected global politics. The protagonists and antagonist are superheroes and have genuinely noble or relatable traits and goals. Case in point, Dan Dreiberg (Nite Owl II) is one of the nicest characters in the comic and he's a superhero. Additionally, Alan Moore has written traditional superhero comics and likes the genre.

The Boys on the other hand is as Haru89 said is nothing more than Garth Ennis' rant against superheroes and lacks the complexity or depth of Watchmen.

Watchmen is a different beast from The Boys because it's not an attack on the superhero genre. Instead, it's an examination of superheroes during the Cold War and how they effected global politics. The protagonists and antagonist are superheroes and have genuinely noble or relatable traits and goals. Case in point, Dan Dreiberg (Nite Owl II) is one of the nicest characters in the comic and he's a superhero. Additionally, Alan Moore has written traditional superhero comics and likes the genre.

The Boys on the other hand is as Haru89 said is nothing more than Garth Ennis' rant against superheroes and lacks the complexity or depth of Watchmen.
Yeah, unless the plan is to create a comic that’s similar in tone/premise to the OTL TV show (a group of normal people try to take down a evil Superman or whatever, so basically a comic about a group of regular Lex Luthors vs Evil Superman) but even then that’s not going to be anything like the Boys comic or will even share any names and stuff with the comic. It’s only technically be a ITTL version of the Boys, and even then only in the loosest sense possible.

Deleted member 165942

Yeah, the OTL comic book version of The Boys is honestly pretty awful and is basically nothing like the show (other than character names and powers, the show basically ignores the comic), so I’m not sure how it work here. This video below goes into the comic if you if curious.

And if it’s not written by Garth Ennis then I can’t imagine it’d even be called the Boys or even feature the same characters. At that point you might as well just create a completely new unique super hero themed story, setting, and characters, even if there are similarities to the OTL The Boys.

Plus wouldn’t Ennis still write a version of the Boys ITTL so he can rant about why he hates superheroes and take sick pleasure in gruesomely murdering them every issue? All that means is that you then basically sort of have two versions of the Boys, one of whom probably really won’t be the Boys if it’s not written by Ennis.
Yeah the comics was honestly nasty and horrible, none of the supes have any redeeming qualities, the Batman analogue is just taking the Batman traits to the extremes, Homelander is just a 1 dimensional "Superman by evil" character , and even the honestly good supes get killed in horrible ways like Comic Soldier Boy wasn't a bad person, he was more like a classic Captain America clone, but it doesn't matter because he dies horrifically because Ennis seemingly hated the whole trope he symbolizes, which to be fair he kinda does hate each trope so. Heck I think even Ennis himself recognize how horrible The Boys is when he wrote a scene showing an older Hughie being wrecked by PTSD and trauma from what The Boys and Butcher have done in the past.

In comparison, the show is more a nuanced and complex deconstruction of modern Superhero media, the modern society, and how we obsess over celebrities while they hide horrible stuff behind their backs.

Yeah, unless the plan is to create a comic that’s similar in tone/premise to the OTL TV show (a group of normal people try to take down a evil Superman or whatever, so basically a comic about a group of regular Lex Luthors vs Evil Superman) but even then that’s not going to be anything like the Boys comic or will even share any names and stuff with the comic. It’s only technically be a ITTL version of the Boys, and even then only in the loosest sense possible.
Yeah it would only be technically be the TTL version of The Boys, The Boys TV show that is and not the comic as it's being implied here. The Boys is just something Garth Ennis can make, only because of his insane hatred of Superhero comics.

Deleted member 165942

Also we should take this The Boys Conversation in the Speculation Thread.

Honestly considering I don't even like The Boys comic and don't care for the series, Im fine with it being In Name Only, especialy

Not sure Alan Moore's the best fit for this idea, though. I suggest changing it.

You guessed correctly. It will be Moore.

I think the biggest difference here is that it will be a more Supe focused, surprisingly.
It really doesn't look like it could The Boys since Ennis is not around to write it. I can imagine that this would be a TTL-specific project and Ennis might still write something like The Boys even if it's under a different name.

Just to remind everyone, since we're entering The Fiction Zone, if you're making something "In Name Only" from the mid 2000s then maybe it's time to just make Something Original that Follows a Similar Concept. Think outside the OTL box. Push the limits. Ask not "What does The Boys look like iTTL" but "what does Ennis do in TTL given the changes in his experiences" or "what does Moore do with the basic concept of 'superheroes are assholes'?"

For example, adapting an old Superhero RPG team that my friends and I had in the 1990s: C-O-N (you decide the acronym): a super team put together by a Con-Man with mental manipulation powers (a "crooked Professor X") who runs a "superpowered vigilantes for hire" team that deconstructs the entire idea of superheroism like Watchmen and The Boys, but in an original way. In the end, the actual first responders save the day and defeat the Menace while the "Superheroes" are showing off and mugging for the press.

Or your own new idea.

Just to remind everyone, since we're entering The Fiction Zone, if you're making something "In Name Only" from the mid 2000s then maybe it's time to just make Something Original that Follows a Similar Concept. Think outside the OTL box. Push the limits. Ask not "What does The Boys look like iTTL" but "what does Ennis do in TTL given the changes in his experiences" or "what does Moore do with the basic concept of 'superheroes are assholes'?"

For example, adapting an old Superhero RPG team that my friends and I had in the 1990s: C-O-N (you decide the acronym): a super team put together by a Con-Man with mental manipulation powers (a "crooked Professor X") who runs a "superpowered vigilantes for hire" team that deconstructs the entire idea of superheroism like Watchmen and The Boys, but in an original way. In the end, the actual first responders save the day and defeat the Menace while the "Superheroes" are showing off and mugging for the press.

Or your own new idea.
Fair enough, I do agree with Geekhis here, I was just curious to see how Moore tackles the questions that a concept like The Boys would bring up, seeing as how that's essentially what Watchmen was.