List of monarchs III

The French are going to be desperate for her, but she's not going to want to hand them Burgundy on a platter. Honestly? She could do worse than Juan, Prince of Asturias.

What if we said that for this AU Juan of Asturias and Phillip the Handsome swapped lifespans?

Philip the Handsome marries as OTL, but pulls an Arthur of Wales and dies shortly after without issue. Margaret, in turn, has already married the Prince of Asturias

Philip the Handsome marries as OTL, but pulls an Arthur of Wales and dies shortly after without issue. Margaret, in turn, has already married the Prince of Asturias
POD is specifically for before he marries so he dies around 1495. Would the new Duchess of Burgundy be able to marry the crown prince of Spain?

Last edited:
POD is specifically for before he marries so he dies around 1495. Would the new Duchess of Burgundy be able to marry the crown prince of Spain?
Doubt bigly. Anyways im sorry guys, the truck that was carrying me and my colleagues had a problem and I just got home now. I had no wifi and could not contact you lads. My sincerest apologies.

POD: Philip the Handsome dies in 1495.

Holy Roman Emperors
1452-1493: Fredrick III (Hapsburg)
1493-1519: Maximilian I (Hapsburg) [1]

[1]
To say Philip the Handsome's death was devastating would be an understatement. The Hapsburg legacy was resting on his shoulders. Although there was a chance his father could have a son with his third wife, it was still a tragedy. His death also meant the alliance with the Catholics monarchs was now defunct. Maximilian pushed for the new Duchess of Burgundy, Margaret of Austria to be married to the Crown Prince of Spain, but her council of advisors wanted a more domestic mach. She was married instead to Charles II, Duke of Guelders in 1497, ruling together over Burgundy. King Fernando and Queen Isabel would marry their son, Juan to Anne of Navarre, their daughter Juana would marry King Manuel of Portugal. With Burgundy wanting to remain independent, although Margaret would never forget being jilted by the late King Charles of France, they would make a tentive peace with France, staying out of the Italian wars in the first years of the 15th century.

With Philip's death, Maximilian's oldest male relative, before the births of his grandsons, was his nephew, Wilhielm of Bavaria, son of his sister Kunigunde of Austria and her husband, Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria. Kunigunde immediately began pushing her son forward, believing that he was the obvious choice, despite only being three-years-old. Meanwhile the Duchess of Burgundy and Guelders soon blessed her husband with a son in 1498, who she named Charles. The two women would often makes excuses to visit Maximilian in Vienna, often bringing their sons along with them.

Maximilian tried to have a son with his third wife, Bianca Maria Sforza, despite finding her uneducated and childish. Unfortunately, their union would only produced a daughter, albeit healthy, named Mary for Maximilian's first wife. When Bianca died in 1510, Maximilian tried for a fourth wife, but by then his health had become worse and he decided instead to invest his time grooming the heir he had, giving his chosen successor the kingdom of the Romans. He then gave hefty bribes to the Prince-Electors to ensure his chosen heir's victory. He is famously recorded saying "____ may not be of my dynasty, but blood of blood and will carry out the Hapsburg legacy all the same." In 1519, he died, ending the Hapsburg rule.

Bernhard_Strigel_007.jpg

Last edited:

Holy Roman Emperors
1452-1493: Friedrich III (Hapsburg)
1519-1550: Wilhelm I (Wittelsbach) [2]

[1] To say Philipp the Handsome's death was devastating would be an understatement. The Hapsburg legacy was resting on his shoulders. Although there was a chance his father could have a son with his third wife, it was still a tragedy. His death also meant the alliance with the Catholics monarchs was now defunct. Maximilian pushed for the new Duchess of Burgundy, Margarete of Austria to be married to the Crown Prince of Spain, but her council of advisors wanted a more domestic mach. She was married instead to Karl II, Duke of Guelders in 1497, ruling together over Burgundy. King Fernando and Queen Isabel would marry their son, Juan to Anne of Navarre, their daughter Juana would marry King Manuel of Portugal. With Burgundy wanting to remain independent, although Margarete would never forget being jilted by the late King Charles of France, they would make a tentive peace with France, staying out of the Italian wars in the first years of the 15th century.

With Philipp's death, Maximilian's oldest male relative, before the births of his grandsons, was his nephew, Wilhielm of Bavaria, son of his sister Kunigunde of Austria and her husband, Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria. Kunigunde immediately began pushing her son forward, believing that he was the obvious choice, despite only being three-years-old. Meanwhile the Duchess of Burgundy and Guelders soon blessed her husband with a son in 1498, who she named Charles. The two women would often makes excuses to visit Maximilian in Vienna, often bringing their sons along with them.

Maximilian tried to have a son with his third wife, Bianca Maria Sforza, despite finding her uneducated and childish. Unfortunately, their union would only produced a daughter, albeit healthy, named Maria for Maximilian's first wife. When Bianca died in 1510, Maximilian tried for a fourth wife, but by then his health had become worse and he decided instead to invest his time grooming the heir he had, giving his chosen successor the kingdom of the Romans. He then gave hefty bribes to the Prince-Electors to ensure his chosen heir's victory. He is famously recorded saying "Wilhelm may not be of my dynasty, but blood of blood and will carry out the Hapsburg legacy all the same." In 1519, he died, ending the Hapsburg rule.

[2] Wilhelm was born in 1493 to Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria and Kunigunde of Austria. Wilhelm would ascend to the Dukedom in 1508 after the death of his father and would share it with his younger brother as Co-Regent due to him not seeking a spiritual career.

Wilhelm would ascend to the Holy Roman Emperorship in 1519 after the death of Maximilian I who named him as his heir. Wilhelm would face some scrutiny in his early reign as he was not direct blood of the previous Emperor but these complaints would be thrown out due to the Holy Roman Emperor being elected and not a hereditary succession. Wilhelm’s main issue during his reign would be the claim of Charles, heir of the and later Duke of Guelders as Charles III who before Wilhelm became Emperor was the other most likely successor to the Holy Roman Throne and would be a thorn in his side for years to come. Wilhelm would deal with Charles claim in his late reign when he would betroth his daughter Mecthild to Charles’ son to make a temporary peace between the two.

Wilhelm would also deal with the Reformation during his reign as well having been supportive of it early in his life but would become opposed to it after seeing its spread across the empire and would eventually ban all and any works of Martin Luther across the empire.

Wilhelm would marry Marie Jakobaea of Baden-Sponheim in 1522 and they would have several children together of which ____ would succeed him after his death in 1550.

9421772D-D1FC-41BA-BFFE-5C3EE8E8378C.jpeg

Last edited:
[2] Wilhelm was born in 1493 to Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria and Kunigunde of Austria. Wilhelm would ascend to the Dukedom of Bavaria after the death of his father in 1508 as Duke Wilhelm IV. In 1516, at the urging of his mother Wilhelm would accept his brother Ludwig as Co-Regent as Ludwig X after he refused to refused a spiritual career with the argument that he was born before the edict became valid.

Wilhelm would become Holy Roman Emperor in 1519 after the death of Maximilian I and would allow his brother to rule the majority of the Dukedom of Bavaria for the time being. Wilhelm was originally sympathetic of the Reformation but would become more opposed to it as it became more popular in his home region of Bavaria. In 1522 he would issue a religion mandate banning the enactment of the works of Martin Luther. In 1524 Wilhelm would make an agreement with Pope Clement VII he would become a political leader of the German Counter Reformation. Around the same time Wilhelm would use his power as the Holy Roman Emperor to grant his brother’s claim to the crown of Bohemia. In 1525 the two Dukes in alliance with the Archbishop of Salzburg would suppress the peasant uprising.

In 1522 William married Jakobaea of Baden (1507–1580), a daughter of Margrave Philip I of Baden and his consort Princess Elisabeth of Palatinate; they had four children in which ____ would succeed him.
Most of that came from the Wikipedia page. I mean it is almost word for word in the first and middle section. The last is definitely copied verbatim with the in which_would succeed him being tacked on.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Holy Roman Emperors

[1]
To say Philipp the Handsome's death was devastating would be an understatement. The Hapsburg legacy was resting on his shoulders. Although there was a chance his father could have a son with his third wife, it was still a tragedy. His death also meant the alliance with the Catholics monarchs was now defunct. Maximilian pushed for the new Duchess of Burgundy, Margarete of Austria to be married to the Crown Prince of Spain, but her council of advisors wanted a more domestic mach. She was married instead to Karl II, Duke of Guelders in 1497, ruling together over Burgundy. King Fernando and Queen Isabel would marry their son, Juan to Anne of Navarre, their daughter Juana would marry King Manuel of Portugal. With Burgundy wanting to remain independent, although Margarete would never forget being jilted by the late King Charles of France, they would make a tentive peace with France, staying out of the Italian wars in the first years of the 15th century.

With Philipp's death, Maximilian's oldest male relative, before the births of his grandsons, was his nephew, Wilhielm of Bavaria, son of his sister Kunigunde of Austria and her husband, Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria. Kunigunde immediately began pushing her son forward, believing that he was the obvious choice, despite only being three-years-old. Meanwhile the Duchess of Burgundy and Guelders soon blessed her husband with a son in 1498, who she named Karl. The two women would often makes excuses to visit Maximilian in Vienna, often bringing their sons along with them.

Maximilian tried to have a son with his third wife, Bianca Maria Sforza, despite finding her uneducated and childish. Unfortunately, their union would only produced a daughter, albeit healthy, named Maria for Maximilian's first wife. When Bianca died in 1510, Maximilian tried for a fourth wife, but by then his health had become worse and he decided instead to invest his time grooming the heir he had, giving his chosen successor the kingdom of the Romans. He then gave hefty bribes to the Prince-Electors to ensure his chosen heir's victory. He is famously recorded saying "Wilhelm may not be of my dynasty, but blood of blood and will carry out the Hapsburg legacy all the same." In 1519, he died, ending the Hapsburg rule.

[2] Wilhelm was born in 1493 to Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria and Kunigunde of Austria. Wilhelm would ascend to the Dukedom of Bavaria after the death of his father in 1508 as Duke Wilhelm IV. In 1516, at the urging of his mother Wilhelm would accept his brother Ludwig as Co-Regent as Ludwig X after he refused to refused a spiritual career with the argument that he was born before the edict became valid.

Wilhelm would become Holy Roman Emperor in 1519 after the death of Maximilian I and would allow his brother to rule the majority of the Dukedom of Bavaria for the time being. Wilhelm was originally sympathetic of the Reformation but would become more opposed to it as it became more popular in his home region of Bavaria. In 1522 he would issue a religion mandate banning the enactment of the works of Martin Luther. In 1524 Wilhelm would make an agreement with Pope Clement VII he would become a political leader of the German Counter Reformation. Around the same time Wilhelm would use his power as the Holy Roman Emperor to grant his brother’s claim to the crown of Bohemia. In 1525 the two Dukes in alliance with the Archbishop of Salzburg would suppress the peasant uprising.

In 1522 William married Jakobaea of Baden (1507–1580), a daughter of Margrave Philip I of Baden and his consort Princess Elisabeth of Palatinate; they had four children in which ____ would succeed him.
Don't pull chunks of content from Wiki without attribution.

In this case it is only a few sentences, so there will be no action, this time.

If LA does not remove the Wikipedia material from their post then I recommend that his post be ignored in favor of a new second poster

I also want to add, maybe not a rule perse but a warning in the rules about instances like this. While yes you can look up things on Wikipedia, you cannot quote it verbatim and then use it in a post as if it was your own writing. Especially since that's a copyright violation.

Not sure how to articulate it more clearly at the moment.

Holy Roman Emperors

[1] To say Philipp the Handsome's death was devastating would be an understatement. The Hapsburg legacy was resting on his shoulders. Although there was a chance his father could have a son with his third wife, it was still a tragedy. His death also meant the alliance with the Catholics monarchs was now defunct. Maximilian pushed for the new Duchess of Burgundy, Margarete of Austria to be married to the Crown Prince of Spain, but her council of advisors wanted a more domestic mach. She was married instead to Karl II, Duke of Guelders in 1497, ruling together over Burgundy. King Fernando and Queen Isabel would marry their son, Juan to Anne of Navarre, their daughter Juana would marry King Manuel of Portugal. With Burgundy wanting to remain independent, although Margarete would never forget being jilted by the late King Charles of France, they would make a tentive peace with France, staying out of the Italian wars in the first years of the 15th century.

With Philipp's death, Maximilian's oldest male relative, before the births of his grandsons, was his nephew, Wilhielm of Bavaria, son of his sister Kunigunde of Austria and her husband, Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria. Kunigunde immediately began pushing her son forward, believing that he was the obvious choice, despite only being three-years-old. Meanwhile the Duchess of Burgundy and Guelders soon blessed her husband with a son in 1498, who she named Charles. The two women would often makes excuses to visit Maximilian in Vienna, often bringing their sons along with them.

[2] Wilhelm was born in 1493 to Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria and Kunigunde of Austria. Wilhelm would ascend to the Dukedom in 1508 after the death of his father and would share it with his younger brother as Co-Regent due to him not seeking a spiritual career.

Wilhelm would ascend to the Holy Roman Emperorship in 1519 after the death of Maximilian I who named him as his heir. Wilhelm would face some scrutiny in his early reign as he was not direct blood of the previous Emperor but these complaints would be thrown out due to the Holy Roman Emperor being elected and not a hereditary succession. Wilhelm’s main issue during his reign would be the claim of Charles, heir of the and later Duke of Guelders as Charles III who before Wilhelm became Emperor was the other most likely successor to the Holy Roman Throne and would be a thorn in his side for years to come. Wilhelm would deal with Charles claim in his late reign when he would betroth his daughter Mecthild to Charles’ son to make a temporary peace between the two.

Wilhelm would also deal with the Reformation during his reign as well having been supportive of it early in his life but would become opposed to it after seeing its spread across the empire and would eventually ban all and any works of Martin Luther across the empire.

Wilhelm would marry Marie Jakobaea of Baden-Sponheim in 1522 and they would have several children together of which ____ would succeed him after his death in 1550.
Edited.